Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

rjderouin posted:

So I have not played Warhammer since 5th but when I did I ran my own GTs (used to own a game store) and played in a lot of big tournaments and had a lot of fun, not really winning but having fun. I want to get back into the game but I want to play one of the super villains this time around. What is the super villain army or armies this meta and what should I expect at my next GT?

Dark Eldar all day ery day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
painted the first test model for my new space marine army.

he's been primered blue, so now i need to get a blue primer. Basecoat is Sombre grey from vallejo and the eyes are Dheneb stone. all washed with badab black/whatever the new name is. lots of small details need fixing, but pictures always reveal every damned flaw.

not sure what i'll be calling them just.

also i didn't assemble this model, so there's tons of dumb stuff like the old classical glue fingerprint on the shoulderpad.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

raverrn posted:

Dreadknights are pretty dominant in the HS slot, and it's damned hard to argue taking PAGK in Troops versus Termies. There's choices, but not nearly as many as there should be.

The argument for strike squads is the same firepower for 13 less points per model. Dreadknights are really good, but you can't discount the purgation squad with its relatively cheap heavy weapons spam.

That said, I basically agree. Two troop choices is standard, and there are hard choices to be made in the elites section, but FA and HS each have two real choices and then dedicated transports.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sulecrist posted:

I just built one. Look out for chipping in the gunners' shoulder pads and at the edges of the forward thrusters (the ones that go on the sides of the cockpit). Also, the triangular pieces at the front of the wings had gaps between them and the wings proper, and I had some problems with warping and miscasting at the very back (in and above the hatch area). All in all it was a really fun kit though and most of the problems won't be noticeable once it's painted. Just be patient.
Thanks, I'll keep all of that in mind. Minor gap filling isn't a problem and I'm expecting this thing to take a while. I'm in no rush.

PeterWeller posted:

You can use a wash or shade to tint the glass.
I've tried to find examples online, but nothing really comes close to the effect on Forge World's model. I'll try something out on a spare flight stand or something and if I'm not happy with the results I'll just have to leave it off my Fire Raptor. The last thing I want is for the cockpit to end up cloudy and opaque.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 18, 2014

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

It's not really the same firepower now that Psycannon are Salvo 2/4.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

HardCoil posted:

It's not really the same firepower now that Psycannon are Salvo 2/4.

Fair enough, but the psycannon and friends are also cheaper in PA squads.

And on a related note, I think it's wrong to keep thinking, "Codex: Psycannon." Special weapon choices are a place where the 7E book is better balanced than the 5E book.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

rjderouin posted:

So I have not played Warhammer since 5th but when I did I ran my own GTs (used to own a game store) and played in a lot of big tournaments and had a lot of fun, not really winning but having fun. I want to get back into the game but I want to play one of the super villains this time around. What is the super villain army or armies this meta and what should I expect at my next GT?
If you mean "super villains" as in dominant lists, you'd do well to look at Necrons, Tau, Eldar, Imperial Knights, and Space Marines (often with Imperial Knight support.) They're really powerful, with Eldar being quite the bogeyman, as they have consistently done very well throughout 6th and 7th. Tau are still mean, though sliding down the rankings, and Necrons are slowly crawling their way up - both, in a way, as a result of 7th Edition changes. Imperial Knights are just a pain in the rear end to handle unless you design your list with them in mind (either through bogging them down and out-scoring them, or blowing several up - the first is normally the better plan) and you can slap allies with them, or them as allies, to shore up weaknesses. There are a few flavors of Marines that are crushing out events as well. Really, you've got a number of different options for something that is just going to punt your opponent in the junk. Space Marines (with Knights, likely) or Eldar are really your top tiers, though.

But if you mean "super villains" as in bad dudes, yeah, Dark Eldar.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Safety Factor posted:

I've tried to find examples online, but nothing really comes close to the effect on Forge World's model. I'll try something out on a spare flight stand or something and if I'm not happy with the results I'll just have to leave it off my Fire Raptor. The last thing I want is for the cockpit to end up cloudy and opaque.

Tamiya Clear Red (what people use for blood effects) is what scale modelers use for brake lights and turn signals on cars, so that should work really well. I haven't seen a picture of that canopy but it should work really well.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I tried a GW Glaze on a broken canopy to see if it would work, and it did until it dried and went cloudy opaque, so don't use those

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

I tried a GW Glaze on a broken canopy to see if it would work, and it did until it dried and went cloudy opaque, so don't use those

lovely. I used their blue shade to tint the crystals on some fire prisms and it worked great. Now I'm not sure I'd risk doing it again.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Finished Vulkan today. Great model, probably the best Primarch they've done so far.

More pics here

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3210214&pagenumber=1216#post436458992

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 18, 2014

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
pitch black skin salamanders look so dumb IMO

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Judge a man not by the color of his skin, but by the skull his skin is hiding.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
All skellies are born equal

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Why couldn't they offer a helmeted head for primarchs in general like they do guys like Kharn, Typhon, etc. The models kick rear end dont get me wrong, but I want to see them with hats.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Hencoe posted:

Why couldn't they offer a helmeted head for primarchs in general like they do guys like Kharn, Typhon, etc. The models kick rear end dont get me wrong, but I want to see them with hats.

I think I recall reading that Alpharius is maybe going to come with a helmet or helmet option, but otherwise primarchs are clearly too hardcore for helmets

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Primarchs are clearly too hardcore for helmets

Even when they probably should have them, yeah.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

If you think about it, Vulkan? Can't die, doesn't need one.

Fulgrim? Wouldn't see just how pretty his hair is today.

Curze? How would you see how dark and broody he is?

Corax? How would you see that he's really the dark and broody one, Curze is just a poser?

Khan? Moustache.

Guilliman? Would block you from viewing the squarest jaw in the history of the universe

Russ? Can't chew toys.

Magnus? the lawyers from Marvel

You wouldn't be able to see how worried Dorn was.

Alpharius? You wouldn't be able to see his face to know it's holy poo poo how do we even know ergo Alpharius should come with a helmet.

Mortarion should come with a skelly helmet for being the deathlord

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 18, 2014

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Why are people so weird about how much it cost them to paint their man dolls? I get that ghost hand is a real dude we could creep on, but even the people in the youtube comments when asked are like "lol a lot but I won't tell you"

America is such a weird place

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
a ham who doesnt paint he own hams

a shameful ham

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

BULBASAUR posted:

Why are people so weird about how much it cost them to paint their man dolls? I get that ghost hand is a real dude we could creep on, but even the people in the youtube comments when asked are like "lol a lot but I won't tell you"

People don't like to admit how much they've spent on things because they don't want other people to judge them as having spent too much or too little. It comes from the same place as the reticence to answer, and being told it's rude to ask, what a person's salary is. It's just the way a lot of people are raised. I don't really care, and I'm more than willing to both ask and answer because it's helpful to know what the going rates are for salary/cost of services, but all of my actual not small plastic space men friends get very evasive when I ask them.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 18, 2014

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The answer to anything related to spending on this stuff is always 'Too much.'

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

serious gaylord posted:

But never enough

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

BULBASAUR posted:

The artists also don't want to generally have people knowing this either, it hurts their negotiating position. It'd be like telling everyone how much you make.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It would be exactly that, yes.

rjderouin
May 21, 2007

Von Humboldt posted:

If you mean "super villains" as in dominant lists, you'd do well to look at Necrons, Tau, Eldar, Imperial Knights, and Space Marines (often with Imperial Knight support.) They're really powerful, with Eldar being quite the bogeyman, as they have consistently done very well throughout 6th and 7th. Tau are still mean, though sliding down the rankings, and Necrons are slowly crawling their way up - both, in a way, as a result of 7th Edition changes. Imperial Knights are just a pain in the rear end to handle unless you design your list with them in mind (either through bogging them down and out-scoring them, or blowing several up - the first is normally the better plan) and you can slap allies with them, or them as allies, to shore up weaknesses. There are a few flavors of Marines that are crushing out events as well. Really, you've got a number of different options for something that is just going to punt your opponent in the junk. Space Marines (with Knights, likely) or Eldar are really your top tiers, though.

But if you mean "super villains" as in bad dudes, yeah, Dark Eldar.

I did mean the dominant meta list. Is Eldar what you would expect, tons of wave serpents, necrons tons of fliers and tau tons of the broad sides and riptides? The imperial knights seems like an interested directions if only because they are something I never could have played before. Tau would be cool to build like 3 or 4 riptides (if they are still optimal) just because once again I never really got to play with such huge kits. Necrons are boring and I already have played wave serpent/falcon spam in 4th when they were invincible.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm just reading the Haemonulus Covens supplement and fair play to GW, this is actually pretty cool. I'm particularly loving the formation for one each of Haemonculus, Talos, and Chronos that gives them -1 to enemy Ld, with +1 to their own WS & I. Might be interesting to Webway Portal into the enemy backline. Or just sit in a ruin and absorb all the dakka.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
So, hey, Inquisitors: back in 6th they didn't take up an ally slot. Is that still the case in 7th, or has that been changed?

Sivores
May 25, 2008

All about that bass,
that smooth jazzy bass.
Nope, still an inquisitorial detachment, but in most tournaments its part of the detachments that you can have, you can also have it as a primary.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

rjderouin posted:

I did mean the dominant meta list. Is Eldar what you would expect, tons of wave serpents, necrons tons of fliers and tau tons of the broad sides and riptides? The imperial knights seems like an interested directions if only because they are something I never could have played before. Tau would be cool to build like 3 or 4 riptides (if they are still optimal) just because once again I never really got to play with such huge kits. Necrons are boring and I already have played wave serpent/falcon spam in 4th when they were invincible.
Eldar are primarily Serpents, but you still sometimes see SEERSTAR (which is a bunch of Warlocks and Farseers with stacked powers to me nearly invincible) do alright. That build's becoming increasingly unpopular, though. Necrons are primarily a ton of flyers, but there are a number of other vicious options for them - Pylons, Catacomb Command Barges, Annihilation Barges, and Wraiths can all be incorporated into strong builds. Of course, they're up for a new book soon, so that might shake them down. Tau is still mainly Riptides and Broadsides with Markerlight support, but how you bring that support and fill the rest of your points is up to you. Farside is still fairly solid. However, the Codex as a whole has slid down a bit in 7th, so keep that in mind. It's not bad, of course, just weaker. Knights are cool, but they're normally a detachment for another force - Space Marines with a Knight, for instance.

Honestly, if you want to build Riptides, go for it. Tau are very powerful, and if you like the kit, there you go. It's how I started Flying Circus. (That, and the conversions were cheap.)

Here and here are some of the top lists from tournaments earlier this year, if you want to poke around. Naramyth, if he pops in, can provide more in depth info on this sort of thing, I'm sure - his group is fairly cutthroat, so I know he has some insight. Abuse Puppy can certainly provide more input as well. I'm only capable of providing perspective from the other side of the table versus these lists.

which is to say, goddamn I hate all those things can't a man just jink for a 2++ and summon scoring units in peace?

:cryingdaemonprince:

rjderouin
May 21, 2007
How are most tournaments with unbound armies? Should I build like 6 Riptides or should I just build 3 ( or can I have 4 in a bound list?) I think I am just going to start building Riptides and having them be entirely magnetized from toe to tip so that I can play them as whatever I want.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Save yourself the effort an just put down some empty quart milk cartons with photo copies of the weapon systems taped on.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

rjderouin posted:

How are most tournaments with unbound armies? Should I build like 6 Riptides or should I just build 3 ( or can I have 4 in a bound list?) I think I am just going to start building Riptides and having them be entirely magnetized from toe to tip so that I can play them as whatever I want.
Most tournaments are doing something along the lines of Combined Arms Detachment + Formation/Allies/Whatever. Unbound is a bit of a cluster, so you don't see that. Depending on the tournament, it's quite possible to do 4 Riptides, though - either through Primary Tau/Allied Tau, Primary Tau/Firebase Formation, or Primary Tau/Allied Farside. It might not be the best build depending on points and what you face(I don't know the optimal ratio of Broadsides to Riptides to support) but it's something that's strong that you can certainly do, of course.

LingcodKilla posted:

Save yourself the effort an just put down some empty quart milk cartons with photo copies of the weapon systems taped on.
The bonus is that you can let your opponent get some satisfaction by crushing the carton when he kills a Riptide. Alternatively, you can drink it when you boost around the board. Milk is good for the most important part of every 40k player.

His skeleton.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Arbite posted:

Even when they probably should have them, yeah.

The reason for that picture is actually in the story....

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

NTRabbit posted:

People don't like to admit how much they've spent on things because they don't want other people to judge them as having spent too much or too little. It comes from the same place as the reticence to answer, and being told it's rude to ask, what a person's salary is. It's just the way a lot of people are raised. I don't really care, and I'm more than willing to both ask and answer because it's helpful to know what the going rates are for salary/cost of services, but all of my actual not small plastic space men friends get very evasive when I ask them.

Pretty much this. And my opinion has been called into question based on how much I choose to spend on Warhammer in this forum and others.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Turns out that when you have Deathwing Land Raiders, it doesn't matter if every single thing in your army dies by the third turn; just hide it behind a building, take pot shots at Vendettas, and sit on the objective that The Sex Cannon needs.

Seriously literally every single thing just evaporated. If the Objective cards hadn't been consistently in my corner it would've been a blowout.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

This was legitimately the most fun (and work) I've had assembling a model. A ton left to do, but totally worth it.
Plus it has 6 skulls on each toe.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
What sort of seasoning are you putting on those models? They look delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just built a Sicaran Battletank, and I just gave up on putting the bottom on entirely because it doesn't fit at all.

• Locked thread