Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

elf help book posted:

Lightning is cool.

I concur, my good man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Light Gun Man posted:

I dunno, Bowser Jr. and Petey Piranha just seem like some kind of forced in Director's Pets or something to me, maybe I'm the crazy one here. They show up in sunshine suddenly and now they are in like every game forever. The Shadow the Hedgehogs of Mario, perhaps.
That's kind of how I feel about Rosalina, actually. Daisy always was the superior princess until this usurper came along, goddammit :argh:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Both Rosalina, and Lightning are really good, and anyone who hates them should honestly just gently caress off.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Both Rosalina, and Lightning are really good, and anyone who hates them should honestly just gently caress off.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I am surprised to find out that anyone gives a hot gently caress about Rosalina in one way or another. It's another empty white girl who wears a crown, in a Mario game? What a weird concept.

But really she's like the only named character in a really good Mario game, I'm not surprised to find her in other Mario games.

(except for Captain Toad, who is the true MVP of Super Mario Galaxy)

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

rosalina is a space princess and that's pretty cool

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Rosalina's dress is just a grownup version of the jammies she had as a kid and that's really cute.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

I dunno, Bowser Jr. and Petey Piranha just seem like some kind of forced in Director's Pets or something to me, maybe I'm the crazy one here. They show up in sunshine suddenly and now they are in like every game forever. The Shadow the Hedgehogs of Mario, perhaps.

A character was introduced in a game and appeared in subsequent games?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Rosalina just has a really nice design. Nintendo is a master at that kind of thing though.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

If you hate petey piranha i don't know what the hell to tell you.

Also the TRU amiibo thing owns, and now I'll actually get one.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Both Rosalina, and Bowser Jr. are really good, and anyone who compares them to Lightning should honestly just gently caress off.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

mabels big day posted:

I guess I might as well get it at TRU for this, also. It's a shame the only Amiibo I give a poo poo about is Link, and the pole stand goes straight up his rear end.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Never really said I hated them, I just have never seen anyone express positive opinions about them either. But hey that's cool if I am wrong.

The real crime is lack of Captain Syrup in games.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Light Gun Man posted:

The real crime is lack of Captain Syrup in games.
Please make more good video games starring Wario and friends, Nintendo.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I was playing Game & Wario earlier because I got it for free via the Club Nintendo platinum reward and did not pay any money for it and it hit me -- the game isn't bad, it's just a slow burn kind of good. A boot up once every other month and play for an hour kind of good. It's still one of the worst Wario games, though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm glad they're adding a Gamer stage to Smash U.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I just got Netflix and downloaded the free Netflix app, it works really well on Wii U. This is my sole entertainment solution, is there something for playing music?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yes.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

mabels big day posted:

Yeah, I had no intention of buying an Amiibo, but if they are gonna give me one for free to buy a game I was going to buy anyway, I'll take Samus.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
The free amiibo cements my decision to get one from TRU. I'm probably going Link, since it seems only the first edition of Ammibos will work with it. Otherwise I'd probably get Little Mac or Captain Falcon.

The best thing would be if amazon decided to offer it too, and let you get any amiibo, and just have them shipped separate.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I'm not against owning little plastic figurines of characters I like, but beyond that Amiibos seems really kinda pointless and dumb and expensive. Like, why exactly do I need a leveled-up AI partner in Smash anyway? I am probably never going to use that poo poo, I'm going to play the other modes with real people and maybe a random Level 9 AI guy.

In that previous mentioned sense of owning little plastic figurines of characters I like though, they seem pretty ok. Luigi is depicted mid plank and that's cool.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I TRU deal is tempting but honestly an Amiibo is worth less to me than the ability to just pick up the game from the store when it's out.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I feel like we are overdue for a buy 2 get 1 free deal so I'm going to hold off on the free Amiibo deal as well.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
The only way I will buy any Amiibos is if they release a new Punch-Out!! game and each Amiibo unlocks its corresponding character as an opponent for Little Mac to beat the tar out of.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

codenameFANGIO posted:

I'm not against owning little plastic figurines of characters I like, but beyond that Amiibos seems really kinda pointless and dumb and expensive. Like, why exactly do I need a leveled-up AI partner in Smash anyway? I am probably never going to use that poo poo, I'm going to play the other modes with real people and maybe a random Level 9 AI guy.

In that previous mentioned sense of owning little plastic figurines of characters I like though, they seem pretty ok. Luigi is depicted mid plank and that's cool.

The thing is you can use them in multiple games to unlock stuff. Smash is the game with the most attention and it's the launching platform for the amiibos so they're only really talking about the application in that one regard. Captain Toad, Mario Kart 8, and a few other games have been announced to have amiibo support in the future. What that actually unlocks or does, that is still a mystery.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

What that actually unlocks or does, that is still a mystery.

I feel like that's a marketing problem. I'd love a Samus on my desk, but what does it do? Why should I buy it besides being a loyal consumer whore?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

If you're not going to get a Diddy Kong amiibo then ijdk

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Suspicious Cook posted:

I feel like that's a marketing problem. I'd love a Samus on my desk, but what does it do? Why should I buy it besides being a loyal consumer whore?

The other thing of not knowing what they do is that you don't know if they all do the same thing, will the Captain Falcon on my desk only work in Smash? what will he do in Captain Toad? did I get the short stick of this deal for picking a character that only shows up in one game while the Mario Amiibo does stuff in more games?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The thing is you can use them in multiple games to unlock stuff. Smash is the game with the most attention and it's the launching platform for the amiibos so they're only really talking about the application in that one regard. Captain Toad, Mario Kart 8, and a few other games have been announced to have amiibo support in the future. What that actually unlocks or does, that is still a mystery.

This is a problem though. So far they really haven't shown anything all that interesting that Amiibos do and while Nintendo is good at many things, putting out accessories and making lots of software that supports them has never been one of them. I honestly can't think of a single add on for a Nintendo system that didn't get a handful of games that supported it (other than I guess the Rumble Pack and something extremely basic like the classic controller). The figures are sort of neat but a bit pricey for what you get and it would be nice to have any idea what their future holds. Right now they just look like a badly thought out desperate attempt to get some of that Skylanders money they missed out on.

All that being said I might get the Luigi one just because it's a figure of him planking. I would also probably have gotten the Samus one if they didn't inexplicably put her in the dullest pose imaginable (which is doubly weird because every other character gets a nice action pose).

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Nolgthorn posted:

I just got Netflix and downloaded the free Netflix app, it works really well on Wii U. This is my sole entertainment solution, is there something for playing music?

You could find a playlist on YouTube.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Does that TRU promotion include the GameCube controller smash bundle?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

mabels big day posted:

Does that TRU promotion include the GameCube controller smash bundle?

It does not.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

axleblaze posted:

I TRU deal is tempting but honestly an Amiibo is worth less to me than the ability to just pick up the game from the store when it's out.

Ultimately this is my answer too. If it could be store pick-up I'd go for Toys R Us, but since it isn't I'll just pick it up at whichever store I get to, or download it if it's not too big a file.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

enojy posted:

I was playing Game & Wario earlier because I got it for free via the Club Nintendo platinum reward and did not pay any money for it and it hit me -- the game isn't bad, it's just a slow burn kind of good. A boot up once every other month and play for an hour kind of good. It's still one of the worst Wario games, though.

I'm not saying I dislike Game & Wario, personally, though I think getting it for free helped prevent any major negative emotions from entering my mind as I played the game, other than "Eh, this is kinda' boring, let's do something else." That said, there were a number of games in G&W that either missed the mark or just had a lot of missed potential. Some of the games needed better ideas, some of them needed better execution. Gamer is perfect, though, and

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I'm glad they're adding a Gamer stage to Smash U.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Sketch is the #1 party game at my apartment. I had 9 people over and we played two person team sketch. It ruled.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

From cheapassgamer:

The week of October 26, buying any game 39.99 or more will let you pick up their Gamers Club Unlocked membership for 30 bucks. 20% off new games for 2 years.

Basically, if you're getting bayonetta 2, wait 2 days and do that. Smash, captain toad and bayonetta alone will be more savings than the 30 bucks you pay for it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

codenameFANGIO posted:

That's why the TRU deal is good - you can get an Amiibo without having to pay extra, so it won't matter if it turns out to be useless or uninteresting.

Smash U is gonna have some sort of boardgame mode, so Amiibos could potentially be a fun addition to that mode, maybe.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Smash U is gonna have some sort of boardgame mode, so Amiibos could potentially be a fun addition to that mode, maybe.

Someone suggested being able to use the trophies in the game as the pieces you can use and I really hope that's the case. And I hope that they allow EVERY trophy for that. The minigames (if that's a thing) would obviously most likely be only the Smash roster, but it'd be awesome to say use the Rayman trophy or something.

That one official Rayman twitter account hinted at the trophies being animated, and they definitely aren't in the 3DS version. Still hoping that's the case for the WiiU version, and then being animated would also make the boardgame thing more alive

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Someone suggested being able to use the trophies in the game as the pieces you can use and I really hope that's the case. And I hope that they allow EVERY trophy for that. The minigames (if that's a thing) would obviously most likely be only the Smash roster, but it'd be awesome to say use the Rayman trophy or something.

That one official Rayman twitter account hinted at the trophies being animated, and they definitely aren't in the 3DS version. Still hoping that's the case for the WiiU version, and then being animated would also make the boardgame thing more alive

Moving the Majora's Mask Moon four spaces, making it be in the same space as a Fatal Frame characters and so their Stands (Captain Falcon and Pac Man) have to fight to see if the Moon has to pay rent or something would be the greatest. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Wonderful 101 is both fun and frustrating. I am learning as a I go and it's pretty good.

• Locked thread