Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
To use a giant golem, we all have to turn our legs into rock! There is absolutely no way this can backfire. It isn't like earth elementals are one of the most basic summoned monsters, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Serious Frolicking posted:

To use a giant golem, we all have to turn our legs into rock! There is absolutely no way this can backfire. It isn't like earth elementals are one of the most basic summoned monsters, after all.

Keep in mind, this plan was hatched in order to take out two specific people, and when you aren't Jee-Han you don't usually have the luxury of being both powerful and multi-talented.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
So he's going to save the Witch of Carnage in some spectacular display of overkill involving spinning arrows and Gnome growing to the size of godzilla. Then when the witch and her bodyguard have their jaws on the floor he's just going to ask if she can teach him magic like some kind of autistic puppy. while he gains +1 wisdom and 10+ levels for killing an entire evil cult.

Then we'll have another arc of nothing but grinding. Also he might be awarded with a title to proudly display in his nameplate that nobody else can see.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Also the witch is gonna hit on him again but yeah that sound about right.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Does this mean Jee Han is finally going to be a murderer?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
By murderhobo logic it's not murder if they attacked first!

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz
I love Gnome.

I can't wait to see Gnome-zilla with a huge I'm-just-so-drat-happy face. :haw:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I know it's been recommended in this thread in the past, but I have to join in on recommending Re:Monster. I started reading the manga on a whim tonight, and now I've read that and the light novel translation and am horribly behind on work, which I'm now grinding Jee-Han style with grit and coffee.

The short summary is it's the Gamer with an even more overpowered ability and a Lelouch-style/self-interested main character. Also much more of a crafting/group leadership focus than Gamer's ability grinding: in fact, the nature of the MC's ability is such that he doesn't really have to grind most things. There's also sexy times in it, although the only really graphic stuff is what the translators made up on their own and included with the translation.

Obviously if you're reading the novel it's words instead of pictures, but I found it suitably compelling. I'm pretty interested in discussing it, though I'm not sure enough people will take it up to make it worth its own thread.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

New update. http://mangajoy.com/The-Gamer/59/

Yaaaay, he decided to chase the golem.... Another exciting issue of the Gamer! My balls remain sore and blue.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
At times like this, I appreciate the generic shonen's hero's recklessness.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The earlier issues were waaaayyyyy faster than this, even past the initial hook.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Strabo4 posted:

New update. http://mangajoy.com/The-Gamer/59/

Yaaaay, he decided to chase the golem.... Another exciting issue of the Gamer! My balls remain sore and blue.

Actually, there are a few more pages after that scene, so read on!

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
The ONE time he takes off mana shield. The ONE TIME.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

DrSunshine posted:

Actually, there are a few more pages after that scene, so read on!

He's going to spend one issue considering his options, another to set up his plan, and if we're lucky, he'll be shooting mana balls by the third.

I'm only so frustrated because I really like the idea. I hope the author decides to pick up the pace soon. :(

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Strabo4 posted:

He's going to spend one issue considering his options, another to set up his plan, and if we're lucky, he'll be shooting mana balls by the third.

I'm only so frustrated because I really like the idea. I hope the author decides to pick up the pace soon. :(

He should learn delayed Mana bomb.
Ready it with a bunch of mana and then release at a later date.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Rigged Death Trap posted:

He hasn't even started crafting yet though!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yeah, there has to be a way, even if it takes crafting or buying stuff, to load a bunch of mana into a small container and then deploy it later. Mana Bomb grenades, basically.

Chaos341
Aug 13, 2010
New update. http://mangajoy.com/The-Gamer/60/1/

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Wow, stuff actually happened for once.

I assume the plan is to turn the golems' weight against them by collapsing the area's foundation?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Surprised that the magic dudes were using mana arrows too. I would have expected them to use stone shards or something. Hopefully it's just because mana arrow is a common attack spell and not because the author is out of ideas.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

Surprised that the magic dudes were using mana arrows too. I would have expected them to use stone shards or something. Hopefully it's just because mana arrow is a common attack spell and not because the author is out of ideas.

One of the books he bought said that mana arrows were a common attack spell, though apparently the ones Han Jee Han was using were slightly different to the standard because he learned to do them himself. Actually learning the fundamentals of how other people use the spell made his own ones better!

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
It's Magic Missile. It's day loving One mage school attack. He's going to develop fireball and regret leveling Babbys first magic attack so much.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Considering that it's been what, a few weeks?, I don't think he's going to regret much. The only thing he can't really change about his build is his stats (and heck, maybe there's a respec button he hasn't found yet).

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
The description that he got also kind of insulted him for recreating a stone age spell. But it seems like for him creating spells that people have already created and learning the original version give him a buff to it. Though I'm not certain on this. I mean, it's a buff to spinning magic arrow, that he got by modifying his own mana arrow.

I'm not sure if he could get the same benefit from creating his own version after learning the 'proper' version. Or if he even has his old versions of them. I didn't catch it the first time, but apparently the Spinning Magic Arrow + Stone Age Magic Arrow gave him a new skill, that started at level 1.

Not really sure at the author's intent on this: Had he kept all versions of these skills, and if so can he use the 'old' spinning magic arrow to level it up and possibly buff the new version? Does it go away but is it considered to be 'max' for the purpose of buffing the new one?

Even if he gets locked out of skill buffs like that, he probably is going to get stupid powerful regardless.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Spinning magic arrow + frost bolt for diablo shenanigans.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

The Missing Link posted:

It's Magic Missile. It's day loving One mage school attack. He's going to develop fireball and regret leveling Babbys first magic attack so much.

What, you've never figured out ways of spamming Magic Missile so fast that you Macross every enemy you come across?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

He's still early in his magic career, I don't mind him thinking magic missile is all the magic he needed, and I'm sure magic trainer loli will tell him how wrong he was. It, and his basic giant mana bomb, are still effective even against magic resistant monsters, they just don't cut it against actual mages, which makes sense because mages are always the hardest to hit with spells.

I liked a magic bolt deflecting right off his mana shield though. It really is just like the shield spell in D&D, which raises armor and automatically blocks magic missile.

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

This?! This is a glorious dance! That has been passed down! In my family for generations!
So wait, they knew him as the "Gamer." Is someone from the Chunbumoon clan leaking secrets? I don't think anyone else actually knows what his power is, do they?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Jefepato posted:

So wait, they knew him as the "Gamer." Is someone from the Chunbumoon clan leaking secrets? I don't think anyone else actually knows what his power is, do they?

It was revealed that there's entire sects of the Abyss who exist just to spy on everyone and sell the information, back when the Abyss auction was mentioned.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Jefepato posted:

It's been out for a while. http://mangajoy.com/The-Gamer/52/1/

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

This?! This is a glorious dance! That has been passed down! In my family for generations!
Oh. I'm dumb, sorry.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

All I want is for him to check out the other stuff in the Options menu, why is this so difficult guy

Caros
May 14, 2008

John Lee posted:

All I want is for him to check out the other stuff in the Options menu, why is this so difficult guy

Cheat menu... the gently caress is this?

Edit: I want to see if he can submit a GM ticket.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It turns out The Gamer is just the Earth investing a guy the power to find and report all the people with special skills.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

The GaMer :aaaaa:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Mods knew.

Chaos341
Aug 13, 2010
New Update http://mangajoy.com/The-Gamer/61/1/

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
You beat me to it.

And the fight is over. Unless something changes next chapter.

Chaos341
Aug 13, 2010
And Jee Han totally killed five of those dudes. Go mind altering power that lets him joke about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yeah I was wondering why he was so casual about it at first.