Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Well I just found it does actually add something new now. If you're looking at your playlists, you can now look at the artist or album views for the contents of just those playlists. That's pretty helpful at least. It is a bit annoying if I want to look at all tracks for a given artist, not in a playlist. That adds some clicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
ooh it's red

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

iTunes 12 working great for me.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is there a way to bring the sidebar back in album view?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Jack Gladney posted:

Is there a way to bring the sidebar back in album view?

No, it's been removed. Playlist view has a sidebar of all your playlists but that's the only place it remains.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Why do you have to do this?
In my case, it was because the automatic install couldn't remove the old service components and install the new version in the same session; it required a reboot in the middle. In addition, the old version of iTunes would notice that the service components were missing and would attempt to try to reinstall them, even if the installer was still running. iTunes 12 upgrade worked without any issues.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

for what it's worth the "playlists" tab also has your music library and can be viewed in album mode:

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 20, 2014

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

RandomPauI posted:

The people at itunes knew that I hated having to turn on the sidebar after every update so they helpfully removed the sidebar feature. :downs:
loving iTunes. :downs: Words fail me.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

If I have playlists (smart or otherwise) of podcasts, do they still work in the playlists view? For that matter, can I still sync them to my phone if I install IOS8 (in 7, 'itunes playlists' appears as a 'station' - I have no idea what the benefits of stations are supposed to be but that's itunes for you)

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
With either or both of iTunes 12 and iOS 8.1, is the play count growing exponentially issue fixed?

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Neo_Reloaded posted:

With either or both of iTunes 12 and iOS 8.1, is the play count growing exponentially issue fixed?

Going to check but the notes for the ios 8.1 update isn't giving me any hope.

Edit: Nope.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 22, 2014

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The only thing I can think of that I did that was different was that I removed my library from iTunes. I was going to re-import it, but saw that it didn't keep my play counts for purchased music, and then moved my library files back into place. That could have been the trick, I did a bunch of things to be honest. But that's the only thing I did and didn't post here.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Is anyone else not seeing app update change notes in the iTunes 12 app updates panel? I have to go to the App Store to see them.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
This might be the first major version I've liked in about six years.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Dear God why can't I sort by artist then year in the 'Genre' tab? Dear God why???!!!

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Who the hell still uses genre tags? lol

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Who the hell still uses genre tags? lol

You'd better believe I use genre tags. Nothing worse than wanting some quiet, relaxing music then having it interrupted my Merzbow.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
I've got a weird error from itunes: sometimes when my laptop freezes and i need to hard shout it down, when i turn it back al my music is gone. I have then to import it again, but i loose all my stats, like ratings and the number of times i have listened to a track. Any hint where to look for a solution to this "bug"?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Nihiliste posted:

You'd better believe I use genre tags. Nothing worse than wanting some quiet, relaxing music then having it interrupted my Merzbow.

That's more "style/groupings," although that can be a black hole if you try to rely on it for sorting.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Why is iTunes red?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
It's dying.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

Why is iTunes red?

Cause the App store is blue, silly! :)

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I wants me sidebar back. :argh:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Keyser S0ze posted:

I wants me sidebar back. :argh:

Which sidebar are people talking about here? I have all my playlists on the left still. It forced the Music tab on me, and shows my iPhone there now when it's plugged in. If you're talking about Videos, TV Shows, etc, then that's just above the side bar. The benefit of this is that you get to browse the playlists you already have, in regards to those categories now. Or browse your playlists in terms of Artist/Album/List views. I think it's a bit more complicated, but now you get a lot better organization of your content.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Sidebar was bad and Apple did you a favor by removing it. :getin:

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!
Is there any useful difference between "Play Next" and "Add to Up Next". The latter seems like it should append to the list of things it's going to play (so you can add another album or whatever to play after the current stuff finishes) but it actually inserts stuff above what's currently in the list.

Am I being dumb? How do I add stuff to the queue so it plays after what's already there? :confused:

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

JamesOff posted:

Is there any useful difference between "Play Next" and "Add to Up Next". The latter seems like it should append to the list of things it's going to play (so you can add another album or whatever to play after the current stuff finishes) but it actually inserts stuff above what's currently in the list.

Am I being dumb? How do I add stuff to the queue so it plays after what's already there? :confused:
Are you sure? "Add to Up Next" appends them to the end of my on the go playlist.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

IUG posted:

Which sidebar are people talking about here? I have all my playlists on the left still. It forced the Music tab on me, and shows my iPhone there now when it's plugged in. If you're talking about Videos, TV Shows, etc, then that's just above the side bar. The benefit of this is that you get to browse the playlists you already have, in regards to those categories now. Or browse your playlists in terms of Artist/Album/List views. I think it's a bit more complicated, but now you get a lot better organization of your content.

I'm old and preferred the "see everything on the left like a file directory" days instead of all these hipster "icons" and crap. You also had to go out of your way a bit more to go to the itunes store.

Get off my lawn! :corsair:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I want winamp back but for mac. I had a skin that made it look like an old stereo with big chrome knobs...

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Jack Gladney posted:

I want winamp back but for mac. I had a skin that made it look like an old stereo with big chrome knobs...
That was my fave winamp theme too.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Are you sure? "Add to Up Next" appends them to the end of my on the go playlist.

That's odd - just tried it on another machine and it's doing that, but it definitely did the other behaviour before. Pretty sure I clicked "Add to Up Next" rather than "Play Next" at the time because I was being conscious of not wanting to do what actually happened :)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I think if you have shuffle turned on and are playing something, all the songs go into Up Next automatically but are lower priority than anything you add in yourself. So even though you clicked Add instead of Play Next, they still got to jump the line. If you did it again, the songs would go behind the songs you added first.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The difference between "Play Next" and "Add To Up Next" is this:

I'm playing iTunes as normal. I want to listen to a specific album after the song I'm listening to. I select the songs and then select "Play Next". These are the next songs I'll listen to (unless you add them to the queue to close the current playing song's final seconds, but that seems to be a glitch if anything, then it's after the next song).

After I'm done playing that album, I want to listen to another song. So I find that song and select "Add To Up Next". It's now in the queue, after the above album.

Oh poo poo, I wanted another album first. Well I select that, and pick "Play Next". Now that jumps in the front of the queue. So it's this album, the previous album, and the one song, in the queue. Then it goes back to what it was playing before you manipulated the queue.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
The difference is I will always pick the one I don't want

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Jack Gladney posted:

http://www.audiofile-engineering.com/fidelia/

Just $20!

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!
Has anyone noticed tracks skipping/scratching like a scratched CD since updating to iTunes 12? I've only noticed it on my PC, not my Mac. I updated the firmware on SSD (Samsung 840 EVO) about the same time that I updated to iTunes 12 so I'm not sure which is the culprit.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Hiyoshi posted:

Has anyone noticed tracks skipping/scratching like a scratched CD since updating to iTunes 12? I've only noticed it on my PC, not my Mac. I updated the firmware on SSD (Samsung 840 EVO) about the same time that I updated to iTunes 12 so I'm not sure which is the culprit.

Forever ago I had this problem that turned out to be a bad hard drive. The audio would just stop for a few seconds at a time. I just built my Hackintosh at the time, and was trying both Mac and Windows OSs and still had the problem. It wasn't until I replaced the HD that the problem went away, and never came back. It sounds like it could be the HD to me too.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Hiyoshi posted:

I actually did notice this on my PC last night.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

IUG posted:

Forever ago I had this problem that turned out to be a bad hard drive. The audio would just stop for a few seconds at a time. I just built my Hackintosh at the time, and was trying both Mac and Windows OSs and still had the problem. It wasn't until I replaced the HD that the problem went away, and never came back. It sounds like it could be the HD to me too.

Check the CPU usage when this happens. Anything pegging it at 100?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Check the CPU usage when this happens. Anything pegging it at 100?

The first thing I said was that this was "forever ago". I resolved this by replacing the hard drive. My Hackintosh has since become a PC fileserver, and I'm using a Macbook Pro now.