Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Okay, I've been experimenting with the Grinder a lot, since that was one of the things that really got me excited about the game. Some observations:

1. ALWAYS use Moonstones when grinding new legendaries via the Orange/Orange/Purple recipie, it seems to have at least a 50% failure rate. Tried it five times, got one Legendary and four purps, if I hadn't cheated myself all the initial legendaries I'd have been PISSED.

2. The Grinder determines the level of the new item by taking an average of the three component's levels, and always rounds down. So yeah, one under-leveled component will tank the total level of whatever you're crafting, which is important to keep in mind if you're crafting something you will want to use for a while.

3. Legendary Lasers are like night and day, from what I've seen so far. The ZX-100 is loving awesome, it's basically a homing, laser version of the HellFire, while the Cat 'o Nine Tails is loving terrible, unless I'm somehow using it wrong. Why does Gearbox feel the need to make legendary items that are WORSE then their purple equivalent (for ex. The Cradle)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
does anyone know where i can get some lvl 30 savefiles for TVHM? I want to try some new characters but not have to level them all over again

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Question: Around the R&D lab on Helios, there are these pressure plates around like the ones that deactivate electric gates elsewhere in the game.

It's just that, I can't find the thing they are supposed to deactivate/activate/change. For people who have found all of these, is the reward worth it or should I not bother?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Holy crap...

The more I read about the game, the less I want to play it. Gf and I started it yesterday and had about 3 hours total to play. so far, I thought the jokes were a bit dry and the game doesn't feel as good as BL2. Decided to try Wilheim cuz I like those kind of characters. Although Wolf and Saint is great, I miss the turrets with Axton. The sound of both turrets shooting and missiles firing, all the explosions it created... I miss that.

I'm definitely going to give it a chance, but from what I've read so far here, its not very promising.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I think the game is an overall improvement. The greater emphasis on verticality and the Oz kits make things a lot more fun. All the characters are pretty neat in their own way. The balance is way better than BL2, with you being able to use (good) guns for quite a while. Laser weapons are awesome. The Stingray is an actually fun-to-use vehicle.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Dalael posted:

Holy crap...

The more I read about the game, the less I want to play it. Gf and I started it yesterday and had about 3 hours total to play. so far, I thought the jokes were a bit dry and the game doesn't feel as good as BL2. Decided to try Wilheim cuz I like those kind of characters. Although Wolf and Saint is great, I miss the turrets with Axton. The sound of both turrets shooting and missiles firing, all the explosions it created... I miss that.

I'm definitely going to give it a chance, but from what I've read so far here, its not very promising.

You know, I think it's generally a fun Borderlands game, it's just that it's marred by a series of less-than-ideal qualities and decisions. For example, I may sound crazy, but I think the fact that every single environment is either a moody, atmosphere-less moonscape or the dim innards of ship/space station sort of creates this perpetually depressed, uncomfortable feeling. Add to that a bunch of characters who are generally unfunny/charmless and you've got a really off-putting game. It's like a bad dream or something. At least with BL1 and BL2 you had sunny deserts and bright locales that helped contrast the oppressive, airless voids, and the occasional NPC who injected some sort of positive energy into things. The Pre-Sequel is like...Courage, the Cowardly Dog: It's just dark and weird and it feels like everybody is a shell of a person. Scooter and his sister were a thousand times better than Janey Springs; Roland practically sucked your dick with words of encouragement in BL2, but he's like some kind of alien in TPS. I hate it.

Most of the gameplay mechanics are pretty much identical to BL2, however, with the addition of new options like laser guns, the Grinder, butt-slammin', player characters with actual personality, etc. So on a mechanical level, if you liked BL2, then TPS should be enjoyable enough.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Oct 19, 2014

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Genocyber posted:

The greater emphasis on verticality and the Oz kits make things a lot more fun. All the characters are pretty neat in their own way. The balance is way better than BL2, with you being able to use (good) guns for quite a while. Laser weapons are awesome. The Stingray is an actually fun-to-use vehicle.
I agree with all of this, but the writing and quests are noticeably worse than BL2. The game is mechanically better, but it feels like it lacks some soul. None of the new NPCs you meet are particularly interesting or memorable. The quests have a very mundane feel to them. Even the storyline quests aren't all that epic feeling compared to those from the previous games. The jokes feel like somebody poorly imitating the humor from the previous games.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Oct 19, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I really don't like how I have to hand over fetch quest items before turning in the quest. It was nice being able to compare the rewards before picking a side.

Also, my first cryo weapon is a Jakobs :psyduck:

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Oct 19, 2014

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I think I'm the only joyless soul in the world who doesn't like the floaty moon jumping and having to hit crouch to land quickly whenever I want to. I sorta liked skipping around at close range with short jumps and I still don't really like the moon gravity.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
I wish they called it Borderlands 2.5 and sold it for 40 but I'm still having a blast with it. If you thought BL2 was good you'll like this.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

^^^Yes, a lower-then-$60 price would have pretty much made me 100% happy with this purchase. As it is I still feel slightly ripped off.

I've bitched a lot about this game, but I do appreciate little touches like allowing (and acknowledging, in dialogue) you to sequence-break Watch Your Step and some other quests. I'm one of those insane people that play ALL the characters, so shortcuts like that are pretty welcome.

Of course, I haven't actually made it to RK5 with any of my characters yet, so I expect I might not feel so positive in a day or two.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

An existing codebase and few hours... save editor for The Pre-Sequel!.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall
The RK4 boss fight is incredibly lovely, and I've no idea how it got into the game as it is. I ended up hiding in the entrance and going back every minute or so to refill health/ammo/oxygen, and sniping at the ship whenever I wasn't being surrounded by guardians. Trying to play that section legit must be incredibly annoying.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

sweetroy posted:

The RK4 boss fight is incredibly lovely, and I've no idea how it got into the game as it is. I ended up hiding in the entrance and going back every minute or so to refill health/ammo/oxygen, and sniping at the ship whenever I wasn't being surrounded by guardians. Trying to play that section legit must be incredibly annoying.

It took me forever to realize lasers did jackshit to it. Focus on the minions when they spawn and hang out near the elevator for a retreat. Took me like 4 tries. They should tweak it so it flys low to the ground more, the time to get the damage in was too low before it flew off again for 40 seconds.

RonMexicosPitbull fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Oct 19, 2014

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
What this game really needs is more dudes to fight. I feel like they piece-meal enemies to you in groups of exactly 4. Kill the first 4 and they'll let you fight 4 more.

edit: okay, this is sad, but my favorite part of the entire game was when you are supposed to let the turrets get kills and you can just stand there killing dudes until your ammo runs out.

Finally, I think if the infinity pistol is in this game you could setup an infinite experience grind in that spot by using Nisha's skill that extends the duration for each kill.

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Oct 19, 2014

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

gibbed posted:

Y'know, has anyone ever told you you're a swell guy? Because goddamn, you're a swell guy doing this for free.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Ulvirich posted:

Y'know, has anyone ever told you you're a swell guy? Because goddamn, you're a swell guy doing this for free.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Rick is one of those guys that really just makes the world a better place in a very small and specific way.

My girlfriend used to be really into the Sims and I remember her saying something like "Wow, this gibbed guy is really super!"

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

gibbed posted:

You're awesome, thank you. :)

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

The RK5 fight is the most BL2 boss in the game. Most of the other ones were actually good and fun.

I also really welcome the return of guardians even though that omega whatever dude was a bit of a pain in the rear end. We were underleveled though.

Matrix-7
Apr 29, 2007

Hey, bro, fade into the shade! You're bad news - obituary column style!

gibbed posted:

Yes! This is awesome! I love playing around with different gear set-ups and this has saved me a few hours with the grinder today. Many thanks.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

gibbed posted:

So can you actually give yourself more skill points than your level would allow with this? I tried messing with those values but nothing changes in-game.

I'd just bump up my level and start the True Vault Hunter mode to be able to gently caress around with more skill points right away but it seems the narrative changes a bit, so that's not ideal.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Are all the grinder recipes just different gear of the same rarity? Excluding the legendaries of course.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Megazver posted:

So can you actually give yourself more skill points than your level would allow with this? I tried messing with those values but nothing changes in-game.

I'd just bump up my level and start the True Vault Hunter mode to be able to gently caress around with more skill points right away but it seems the narrative changes a bit, so that's not ideal.
You'd have to do that through editing of the raw skill data. One of the first sanity checks they added to Borderlands 2 was for unspent skill points.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Anyone got a legendary class mod for Athena that's not this?

If you do please paste the code for it, here's the code for that one BLOZ(CgAAAAD6DwAUDzyAQzAy2RPA/z8PwP///////////38TABRBAMA=)

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

gibbed posted:

You'd have to do that through editing of the raw skill data. One of the first sanity checks they added to Borderlands 2 was for unspent skill points.

I actually found a workaround for that for Borderlands 2, but I don't know if they patched the bug in TPS.

The steps you use are:

1. Spend all your skill points ingame
2. Go into the character editor and edit your level (do not change your XP at all) downwards. Say you're level 35, set it to level 30 if you want 5 more skill points.
3. Reopen your character ingame. You'll need to reequip all your gear, but you should get the difference in skill points to spend.
4. See below:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

MJ12 posted:

I actually found a workaround for that for Borderlands 2, but I don't know if they patched the bug in TPS.

The steps you use are:

1. Spend all your skill points ingame
2. Go into the character editor and edit your level (do not change your XP at all) downwards. Say you're level 35, set it to level 30 if you want 5 more skill points.
3. Reopen your character ingame. You'll need to reequip all your gear, but you should get the difference in skill points to spend.
4. See below:

Well, it does work but it requires you to gain all those levels in the first place, unless you want to be a level 30 running around in level 5 zones. Oh well.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Megazver posted:

Well, it does work but it requires you to gain all those levels in the first place, unless you want to be a level 30 running around in level 5 zones. Oh well.

You can use it at any level after you gain your first skillpoint (so at Level 5 for BL2, 3 for The Pre-Sequel) if it works.

Additionally you can also use it in a different way-you could level yourself up to 30 or 50 or whatever, spend the skillpoints, and then drop your level down to 5 and sync your XP to that level. The game doesn't take away spent skillpoints, and I think if you spend your levelup skillpoints before quitting it won't check to see if you have too many skillpoints for the level.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

where do I get some dang hats for my claptrap? I feel like I'm 3/4 of the way through and I havent seen a single hat.

Matrix-7
Apr 29, 2007

Hey, bro, fade into the shade! You're bad news - obituary column style!

FirstPersonShitter posted:

where do I get some dang hats for my claptrap? I feel like I'm 3/4 of the way through and I havent seen a single hat.

The only one I've actually seen in game so far was from a side-quest aboard the ship, I fired up Gibbeds editor earlier and gave myself some.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

FirstPersonShitter posted:

You COULD just use the profile editor to give yourself all the unlockables. Otherwise, two missions that give new heads unlock a mission or two after you return to Helios, specifically the germophobe robot in the Helios Giftshop, and the old-timey space explorer in Triton. I think the first unlocks after Science and Violence, and the second require you to complete Watch Your Step.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Oct 19, 2014

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
If the Baroness DLC character doesn't have a skin/head that makes her look like Ruby from The 5th Element I'm gonna flip a poo poo.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I've only unlocked one head so far from the Captain Chef sidequest in Triton Flats. It's a really short quest with no trailing back and forth and is actually mildly funny (even if it's mostly nicked from an Eddie Izzard bit).

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The main story line is pretty butts but the basketball side quests were amazing.

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
Hello. I'm the retard who bought Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel!.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

watho posted:

The main story line is pretty butts but the basketball side quests were amazing.

This was quest and Moxxxi's singing are probably my favorite parts of the game, or at least for the first play through. I haven't gone far in TVHM yet but so far I'm enjoying Brick and Tina's peanut gallery. I'm honestly hoping that for UVHM they do another round of the story with someone else.

Been playing Athena and she feels like unstoppable. Her elemental tree feels stupidly strong but maybe I'm just comparing it to the uphill slog that was my non-anarchy Gaige playthrough.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So is there any guide as to how build Nisha? I look at her trees and I can't make heads nor tails out of them, other than that she's DPS as gently caress. What's a good leveling build? I'll be playing with a buddy who'll be playing Willhelm.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

The Rokstar posted:

Ammo wasn't a problem because (like I posted at some point here) you get a bunch of ammo for some reason when vengeance cannon activates. If I wasn't using Wilhelm that strat probably wouldn't work.

Edit: I also have a theory that railguns have bootleg b0re properties since they pierce, because every once in a REALLLY great while a shot against something big like RK5 or the final boss will do far more damage than usual.

RE: Vengeance cannon generating ammo. This absolutely was not the case for me and I ran out of ammo despite buying all ammo storage upgrades so many times during the home stretch of this game it's ridiculous.

RE: Railgun b0re. This was definitely the case for me and big Sentinel went down in like a few shots for me with the mining laser or whatever it's called.

Also I'm glad I'm not the only one who had trouble with RK5. I probably died there more than any other fight in a Borderlands game. What ended up for me was just bouncing across the arena on the two jump pads on either side of it next to the shacks int he O2 bubbles, tossing out Wolf and Saint whenever I could. Nobody could seem to maintain a bead on me long enough to do any measurable damage. Though one time I did this and smacked right into a guardian and had to scramble back to one end of the arena to start the bouncing again.

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
HAY GUYS WHAT IS TEH INTERWEBNET, AND ISN'T A0L the SECKZ!? :LOL: 1337
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER

Megazver posted:

So is there any guide as to how build Nisha? I look at her trees and I can't make heads nor tails out of them, other than that she's DPS as gently caress. What's a good leveling build? I'll be playing with a buddy who'll be playing Willhelm.

Her fan the hammer skill set's capstone is hilariously OP. So I rushed for that. (2 pistols all the time) Unfortunately, the tree has zero in the way of health regen. In normal mode, it's really only a problem when you reach the end part of the game. If you find the celestial class mod you will never die as she will always be healing.

I'd probably invest a point in her kill skill that adds health regen in the riflewoman skill tree, and then work on fan the hammer. She is made of tissue paper this way. Also pretty much get use to buying bullets after every fight.

As for weapon choices, I'd recommend vladof pistols and hyperion shotguns and smgs. These weapons become broken as all get out while showdown is up. That's it then just smash showdown when you think something might be asking to die.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Megazver posted:

I've been marching down the right tree so far, because I like the idea of stuff I can't kill during Showdown exploding afterwards. TORGUE would approve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I'm kind of interested in picking this up at some point, but I'm worried about the end-game. What's the grind like? Are the drop-rates more reasonable than they were in Borderlands 2? Have they said anything about the potential for another UVHM? UVHM turned me right the gently caress off last time around, I just really hope it doesn't end up being a grindy snooze-fest like it was before.

• Locked thread