Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Unless I'm totally misreading it, could you do a map keyed on the character that's the process name and skip the set entirely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Well hell, I forgot all about find_if! Thanks!

fritz posted:

Unless I'm totally misreading it, could you do a map keyed on the character that's the process name and skip the set entirely?

This would be another approach. As I said before, I use anything other than vector so infrequently that I forget about them. I really need to get over that.

The Laplace Demon
Jul 23, 2009

"Oh dear! Oh dear! Heisenberg is a douche!"

hooah posted:

Because when the client program wants to erase something, it'll ideally just give a char that is the process's name, and unless I'm misunderstanding it, set::find takes the same type as what the set stores. I suppose I could re-write the client program to create the Process objects itself, but I'd hoped to avoid having the client know about what seems like internal implementation details.

C++14 introduces "transparent" comparators for ordered containers that allow you to do my_set.find('a'), but that might not be an option here. It'd work something like this:

C++ code:
struct cmp {
    using is_transparent = void; // doesn't matter what type, as long as it exists

bool operator()(char id, Process p) { return id < p.GetLabel(); }
    bool operator()(Process p, char id) { return p.GetLabel() < id; }
    bool operator()(Process lhs, Process rhs) { return lhs.GetLabel() < rhs.GetLabel(); }
};

std::set<Process, cmp> my_set;
// populate my_set
my_set.find('F').Kill();
Definitely sort on your lookup index by the way. Not that it really matters for a max of 256 processes, but still...

fritz posted:

Yeah, this. Or std::array<std::unique_ptr<Process>, 1 << CHAR_BIT> my_set; considering the key set is so tiny.

C++ code:
// O(1) insert/replace
my_set[label] = std::make_unique(addr, label);

// O(1) delete
my_set[label] = nullptr;

// O(1) lookup
if (my_set[label]) {
    // use my_set[label]
}

The Laplace Demon fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 19, 2014

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

The Laplace Demon posted:

Or std::array<std::unique_ptr<Process>, 1 << CHAR_BIT> my_set; considering the key set is so tiny.

Whoa whoa whoa, could you explain what the heck is going on here? I just glanced at what a std::array is (as opposed to a C array, I guess), and I understand what's going on until the << CHAR_BIT part. How can you insert anything into the literal 1?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hooah posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, could you explain what the heck is going on here? I just glanced at what a std::array is (as opposed to a C array, I guess), and I understand what's going on until the << CHAR_BIT part. How can you insert anything into the literal 1?

It's a plain old left shift.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

hooah posted:

How can you insert anything into the literal 1?

STL devs thought they were smart and made << and >> both insertion operators and bitshifting operators at the same time, depending on what the object they're used on's implementation of them is. For numbers it's a bitshift, for iostream/stringstream it's a concat operation, and for filestream it's.. I guess technically concat but more insertion. STL's design decisions are Not Very Good.

The Laplace Demon
Jul 23, 2009

hooah posted:

Sorry. Basically this, but portable to platforms where a byte is not 8 bits and using std::array instead of raw arrays.

C++ code:
std::unique_ptr<Process> my_set[256];
Equivalently, UCHAR_MAX + 1 or std::numeric_limits<unsigned char>::max() + 1.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

The Laplace Demon posted:

Sorry. Basically this, but portable to platforms where a byte is not 8 bits

I'm sure the three Cray computers left in the world will be happy for that consideration.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jewel posted:

STL devs thought they were smart and made << and >> both insertion operators and bitshifting operators at the same time, depending on what the object they're used on's implementation of them is. For numbers it's a bitshift, for iostream/stringstream it's a concat operation, and for filestream it's.. I guess technically concat but more insertion. STL's design decisions are Not Very Good.

Pretty sure iostream's clever overloading predates the STL.

The Laplace Demon
Jul 23, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

I'm sure the three Cray computers left in the world will be happy for that consideration.

Haha, right? :) This probably won't be running on DSPs where that'd ever be a concern nowadays, but I still use the constants for their documentation of intent.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
You're like that guy who does int buffer_size = width * height * sizeof (char);.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Pretty sure iostream's clever overloading predates the STL.

Pretty sure the bit shift operators predate C++.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pseudorandom name posted:

Pretty sure the bit shift operators predate C++.

Pretty sure that in this language family overloading doesn't.

(You're pretty, I'm sure.)

Edit: well, int/float/double/char overload of + was always there, I guess.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Note to the guy with the sorted process list problem - the suggestion of a map keyed on the char-based process identifier would have to be in addition to the set, for your purposes, I think, since as I understand it the whole point of your ordered list was that you wanted the processes with adjacent memory to be listed adjacent to each other. If you just map on the names, you'll lose that ordering, but you could have a set of the addresses and a map of char-based identifier to addresses and have fun trying to keep them in sync.

Unless some balance-combination of [the number of entries is large and you're doing char-based lookups frequently], you're likely better off just doing a linear search through your set for the char-based key. The C++14 transparent thing for that is cool, but if you don't have C++14 available then writing your own 'find' function for finding on a different criterion is really okay. (You could use std::find_if to skip writing the loop part.)

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Jewel posted:

iostreams is an entirely separate library from the STL. It's also the oldest of the various libraries added to the C++ standard library (not counting the C stdlib), and it shows.

The Laplace Demon
Jul 23, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

You're like that guy who does int buffer_size = width * height * sizeof (char);.

:iceburn:

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Suspicious Dish posted:

That's actually valuable; it makes it immediately obvious to the reader that this is a byte-size calculation and that it's for an array of chars.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

It's future-proofing! Maybe they'll change sizeof(char) at some point! :downs:

I do this because it makes my code ever-so-slightly clearer :ssh:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Jewel posted:

iostreams are pre-STL. Thank Bjarne for that poo poo; STL was a much needed improvement on prior C++ libraries.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Is there a standard alternative to iostreams that isn't as weird? Or a chance there ever will be one in a future c++ spec?

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Heavy_D posted:

Is there a standard alternative to iostreams that isn't as weird? Or a chance there ever will be one in a future c++ spec?

There really isn't a great alternative. Realistically, you'd probably use something else to do user input in more than a toy project, and if you have to do a lot of dumb string stuff or worry about i18n you might just be using the wrong tool for whatever you're trying to do.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Heavy_D posted:

stdio.h gives up type safety but is less painful to use in most cases imo. There have been a couple of attempts from academia to make a better C++ IO library but none have caught on.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
Technically, you could get a typesafe stdio now that variadic templates exist. The odds of that happening (at least in a standard way) are pretty slim however.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Could C++14 constexpr functions together with static_assert be used to type-check arguments for printf-style format strings?

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
GCC already gives you warnings for arguments that conflict with the types in printf format strings, no idea what the implementation is based on (probably a bunch of builtin crap)

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Blotto Skorzany posted:

GCC already gives you warnings for arguments that conflict with the types in printf format strings, no idea what the implementation is based on (probably a bunch of builtin crap)

Hooray for dependent types

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Is the problem with iostreams vs stdio really just that overloading << is gross and not the more architectural poo poo?

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
q: when you feed a boolean into a stream, does it print a numeric or textual representation?

a: who knows!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

FamDav posted:

q: when you feed a boolean into a stream, does it print a numeric or textual representation?

a: who knows!

Surely it prints 0 or 1 unless you specify boolalpha, yes?

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

hooah posted:

Surely it prints 0 or 1 unless you specify boolalpha, yes?

This is correct.

C++ code:
cout << true << endl;
cout << false << endl;
cout << boolalpha;
cout << true << endl;
cout << false << endl;
code:
true
false

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
The who knows is because every time you pass configuration to the stream, you have now potentially changed the output of any other log statement at any other point in your system, unless they have also defensively set their configuration.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

That's why you use some boost utility thing that saves the iostream state and restores it on scope exit!

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Vanadium posted:

That's why you use some boost utility thing that saves the iostream state and restores it on scope exit!

Yeah, I'm going to just manually push my state onto a stack at the start of a routine and pop it back off at the end like an animalassembly programmer. That sounds great.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Blotto Skorzany posted:

Yeah, I'm going to just manually push my state onto a stack at the start of a routine and pop it back off at the end like an animalassembly programmer. That sounds great.

The Aristocrats C++!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Vanadium posted:

Is the problem with iostreams vs stdio really just that overloading << is gross and not the more architectural poo poo?

I will mess up your program by doing cout << hex. It's just a horrible, state-ful API and that's not really what you want.

Something basically like printf that was typesafe and also called the correct cast operator for a thing when giving it weird data would basically be the best printf replacement. Otherwise, printf and doing the cast manually is better than iostream.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Suspicious Dish posted:

I will mess up your program by doing cout << hex. It's just a horrible, state-ful API and that's not really what you want.

Something basically like printf that was typesafe and also called the correct cast operator for a thing when giving it weird data would basically be the best printf replacement. Otherwise, printf and doing the cast manually is better than iostream.

Boost.Format does exist. I used for a little bit and didn't want to kill myself (any more than working with C++ in general does).

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I'm trying to reduce my programs memory usage and so far it's going badly. I have a std::vector of Vector3D(double x,y,z) that I want to convert to a std::vector of pointers to these Vector3Ds as I'm going to copy these a shitload of times in a recursive algorithm.

code:
    std::vector<Vector3D> &input = fromSomewhere();    // n = 2^24. Shoulde be 2^24*(8+8+8) = 384 MB
    // Memory usage 395 MB

std::vector<std::shared_ptr<Vector3D>> input_pointers = std::vector<std::shared_ptr<Vector3D>>();
    input_pointers.reserve(input.size());
    // 658 MB

for (int j = 0; j < input.size(); ++j) {
        input_pointers.push_back(std::make_shared<Vector3D>(input.at(j)));
    }
    // 3 GB, what the hell?
What should I be doing here?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Boz0r posted:

I'm trying to reduce my programs memory usage and so far it's going badly.

You're using C++.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Boz0r posted:

I'm trying to reduce my programs memory usage and so far it's going badly. I have a std::vector of Vector3D(double x,y,z) that I want to convert to a std::vector of pointers to these Vector3Ds as I'm going to copy these a shitload of times in a recursive algorithm.

code:
    std::vector<Vector3D> &input = fromSomewhere();    // n = 2^24. Shoulde be 2^24*(8+8+8) = 384 MB
    // Memory usage 395 MB

std::vector<std::shared_ptr<Vector3D>> input_pointers = std::vector<std::shared_ptr<Vector3D>>();
    // 658 MB

}
    // 3 GB, what the hell?
What should I be doing here?

Do you have some reason to be using shared_ptrs, as opposed to unique_ptrs, or even bare pointers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
code:
    // Memory usage 395 MB
    // 384 + some overhead for whatever else the program is using

// 658 MB
    // the shared_ptr wrapper is implemented with two pointers; 658 MB = 384 MB + overhead + 2^24*(8+8) bytes

}
    // 3 GB, what the hell?
    // now you are actually allocating a bunch of independent blocks of memory (control blocks) on the heap
    // for the shared_ptrs to reference, separate from the shared_ptr wrappers inside the vector.
    // size of control block depends on implementation but typically includes space for the Vector3D itself,
    // space for deleter, allocator, at least two reference counts (strong and weak) (and padding)
See implementation notes section of std::shared_ptr, but basically shared_ptr is a very bad way of reducing memory usage. You'll be better off either just copying the raw Vector3Ds (24 bytes is small after all), or storing them in a constant vector and using raw pointers into the vector (only 8 bytes each)

Suspicious Dish posted:

You're using C++.

Congrats on your recent poo poo post. :getout:

seiken fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 19, 2014