Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I like funny jokes AND character drama. What now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'm only here for the horse jokes.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
A story that combines an engaging plot with likeable (and unlikeable) characters and amusing jokes is a pretty cool thing to do that I enjoy spending my time reading.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Zoe posted:

People like this are why I really just feel that murder should be legal sometimes, in certain situations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I love Homestuck when it's a blend of funny and characters.

Without Karkat being an obessive freak, and Dave being a cool kid, we never would have gotten Penis Ouija

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

frozentreasure posted:

But John just made a bold declaration that he was going to kick the villain of the story's rear end; and getting killed in a battle with the ultimate villain of the story sounds pretty heroic to me.

yeah but he barely understands anything that's going on, it's about as heroic as a drunk guy spotting somebody matching his friend's description of their mugger and going "bite the curb, motherf-bleurgh"

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Tollymain posted:

yeah but he barely understands anything that's going on, it's about as heroic as a drunk guy spotting somebody matching his friend's description of their mugger and going "bite the curb, motherf-bleurgh"

No he definitely understands that he's a villain bare minimum so this would definitely count as a heroic death. Whether he actually understands that he's THE big bad is irrelevant.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Chalk this up as me not trusting Caliborn IS Lord English.

But this is playing out a lot like Jake meeting Meenah did.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I dunno, last time John fought a big bad and lost and died he came out fine.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Homestuck is good, and I like it.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I cannot tell a lie, I haven't though of this thing in months, but the siren song of time fuckery has called me back. I can't help it, I love time loops and poo poo too much to stay away.

Eiba posted:

You know, when I heard Homestuck was coming off of its gigapause, I thought about Homestuck for the first time in like a year and realized... I had no idea why I liked it. Yeah, it had some neat characters, but my memories of it were of unironically enjoying it when it disappeared up its own rear end with its metaphysics and poo poo. Like the reveal that the trolls created our universe and Homestuck was a creation myth. I remember being really excited about that at the time, but now... it's just so... :geno:

I thought I might finally be free of Homestuck. I clearly had lost interest, and that was okay. I was going to go on to be a normal productive member of society.

But, you know, I had to read the first update at least. Just 'cause it was there.

And just like that, a single lovely rehashed page, it all came flooding back to me. It was perfect. That solitary page was the only update that could live up to the hype of a whole year's gigapause. No grand epic flash animation or little walkabout game could have come anywhere close. "Sometimes you pause your famous webcomic for a year, and then your grand reopening is a lot of bad anime."

He just slapped a "more" above the title. It's still "Vol. 1"

I'm never going to be free. Hussie has my heart, and I'm never getting it back.

He gazed up at the enormous face. The whole gigapause it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath those luscious lips. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving well muscled chest! Two faygo-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Hussie.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Poultron posted:

No he definitely understands that he's a villain bare minimum so this would definitely count as a heroic death. Whether he actually understands that he's THE big bad is irrelevant.

It can't be a heroic death if he doesn't actually accomplish something. Going up to the final boss and getting smacked down instantly isn't heroic in the slightest.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Since John is unstuck in canon, even if his was an heroic death, he can just reappear behind Caliborn and bonk him in the head when he's aboud to shoot him down.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
John will clown on and all over Caliborn 100%. We don't know why, or how, but he will.

Caliborn, humiliated and emasculated, will start training, in order to get RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPED. His hatred is now equally divided between that useless wad Calliope, and John.

All of Huge Caliborn's "senseless destruction" is actually Caliborn hunting down John for a rematch.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Actually yeah I agree with life_source about John kicking Caliborn's rear end a little here. They've both got the cosmic power of narrators at the moment so it's probably impossible for them to kill each other yet until they better understand that power and each other, but John doesn't seem inclined to gently caress around and it'd make sense as a motivating incident for Caliborn getting serious about terrorizing everyone. Also fits the reacharound nature of the comic's story for the main villain's push toward aggression to come from a time-traveler attacking him over the evil he's going to do in the future.

It does seem interesting that Caliborn has a firmer grasp on their mysterious power than John at the moment. John doesn't even seem to realize he's narrating at the moment while Caliborn is apparently already aware that this won't be their last encounter. That line especially is curious to me, does that mean Caliborn actually already knows about a future meeting, or is he just guessing they'll probably meet again because he's in dramatic exposition mode?

Oh god, it's happening.

Earnest Homestuck discussion!

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Dolash posted:

Earnest Homestuck discussion!

From Dolash of all people?!?!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
This update in a nutshell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klmvEfIneiY

-EDIT-

Oh, and this too of course

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-deFSGA5oo

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 19, 2014

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Gato posted:

tight, self-contained

These words have never described Homestuck ever.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Caliborn is the Lord of Time, so of course he knows he's going to encounter John again in his own future. John is unstuck from causality, making him the only one capable of resolving the kind of predestination paradox that Lord English relies on. John is only dimly aware of his power, but Caliborn doesn't know about them at all, nor has he attained the clockwork bullshit (he doesn't even know how he'll get it - and apparently he hasn't claimed his boon from Yaldabaoth yet). In fact, he thinks John is a ghost, which may explain why Lord English is so gung-ho about killing all those ghosts.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005391 No one is allowed to poo poo talk Tavros. Not when he gives us such wonderful gems as this.

Bongo Bill posted:

Caliborn is the Lord of Time, so of course he knows he's going to encounter John again in his own future. John is unstuck from causality, making him the only one capable of resolving the kind of predestination paradox that Lord English relies on. John is only dimly aware of his power, but Caliborn doesn't know about them at all, nor has he attained the clockwork bullshit (he doesn't even know how he'll get it - and apparently he hasn't claimed his boon from Yaldabaoth yet). In fact, he thinks John is a ghost, which may explain why Lord English is so gung-ho about killing all those ghosts.

I'm not even convinced that Caliborn IS Lord English. I'm seriously thinking it's going to be another situation like with Meenah and the Troll Queen.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

life_source posted:

John will clown on and all over Caliborn 100%. We don't know why, or how, but he will.

Caliborn, humiliated and emasculated, will start training, in order to get RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPED. His hatred is now equally divided between that useless wad Calliope, and John.

All of Huge Caliborn's "senseless destruction" is actually Caliborn hunting down John for a rematch.

I find this idea plenty legit.

It would be further justified if everyone has been mistaking Jake for John, as far as LE's worthy foe goes - Especially if all they were going off was an incredibly lovely anime drawing of John. It could easily be Jake!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

There's a serious problem to the usual predestination bullshit happening here though: John's time travel actually changes the past. Stable time loops are not a thing that happens with it. If he actually conks caliborn, he will have beaten him up and that will be a thing that never happened before. Who knows what the hell it might actually do?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Burkion posted:

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005391 No one is allowed to poo poo talk Tavros. Not when he gives us such wonderful gems as this.

Socks and sandals.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

paranoid randroid posted:

Socks and sandals.

Just part of Bull Horn Wimp's charm.

I hope him, Nepeta, Feferi and Sollux can run off and have happy dreambubble adventures away from everyone else without being horribly double-murdered by Lord English for being irrelevant.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Tavros was boring and i'm glad he's dead, and i hope he got lasermurdered as soon as he spread his idiot wings and flew out of the plot like a freakish garbage phoenix.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
If anything fucks John up, it will be being transmogrified into Lord English like Jack was.

Or Cans knocking him a year into the past and making him wait through the gigapause again.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Bell_ posted:

Or Cans knocking him a year into the past and making him wait through the gigapause again.

"Sorry folks, looks like we're in for another gigapause."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Burkion posted:

I'm not even convinced that Caliborn IS Lord English. I'm seriously thinking it's going to be another situation like with Meenah and the Troll Queen.

Do we have any spare Caliborns lying around? We have a spare Calliope in play, and actually a pretty sparse amount of dead-timeline cherubs. Is it possible that there was only one other way that their lifetimes could ever have gone?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Rand Brittain posted:

Do we have any spare Caliborns lying around? We have a spare Calliope in play, and actually a pretty sparse amount of dead-timeline cherubs. Is it possible that there was only one other way that their lifetimes could ever have gone?

The Caliborn who died via Martyr-Calliope's predomination could very well still be hanging around somewhere, actually. I don't think any of the characters have ever even mentioned the possibility.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Freak Futanari posted:

Tavros was amazing and i'm glad he's ended his abusive relationship, and i hope he gets to have lots of adventures now that he has spread his awesome wings and flew off to accomplish great things like a super cool phoenix.

I agree! Tavros is the best and I hope we get to see him again soon.

And add me to the pile of people who think Caliborn isn't Lord English. The whole situation feels suspicious.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I agree! Tavros is the best and I hope we get to see him again soon.

And add me to the pile of people who think Caliborn isn't Lord English. The whole situation feels suspicious.

That's not what i said at all. Please write your own posts, instead of misrepresenting mine, or i WILL be forced to get the mods involved..........

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Freak Futanari posted:

That's not what i said at all. Please write your own posts, instead of misrepresenting mine, or i WILL be forced to get the mods involved..........

I'm sorry. I was attempting to make a comedy joke and it fell flat. It won't happen again.

Misrepresenting your posts I mean, I'm still going to inevitably make lovely joke.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Everything we've learned up until now has pointed towards Caliborn at least being related to Lord English. One of the popular theories is that Lord English is a self-insert character that Caliborn manages to make into reality, but not necessarily Caliborn's physical body. Which I think hasn't been debunked considering Caliborn's little foray into self-insert creation during the new update.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Caliborn is, in my mind, responsible in some way for Lord English. Let's not forget that he horcruxed Lil' Cal, which directly led to the alpha Jack going all pool ball eyed. Also, Andrew Hussie, while talking to Caliborn, identified him as the person responsible for Hussie's in-comic death by Lord English.

Still, one of the more intriguing possibilities of Caliborn not being Lord English directly is that it creates the hypothetical of Caliborn's redemption. Sure, he's done some awful things, getting his sister killed and being an internet rear end in a top hat. But we've seen other characters be just as jerky and offered another chance.

So... maybe after Lord English is dead, Caliborn is socialized?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The existence of the connection is obvious. The nature of the connection is ambiguous. We're all super anxious to find out what the twist will be.

Mark my words. Caliborn thinks John is a ghost, and Lord English kills ghosts. This means something.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

TriffTshngo posted:

The Caliborn who died via Martyr-Calliope's predomination could very well still be hanging around somewhere, actually. I don't think any of the characters have ever even mentioned the possibility.

He shouldn't be dead, though; he should be absorbed into that Calliope. The alpha Calliope is only still around because Caliborn had her inappropriately assassinated and never actually predominated. (See the fusion sprites; they don't exist independently in the afterlife while the sprite they were fused into still exists.)

I'm pretty sure Lord English is what's formed when somebody prototypes Lil' Cal (infused with Caliborn's evil soul), one of Doc Scratch's omniscient seeds, and the genetic code of the First Guardians to create Scratch and ultimately English. I mean, we've already seen that happen! I don't think Caliborn needs to personally transform into English to explain everything at this point; he just needs to get his hands on the clockwork majykks.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I'm not concerned with WHAT the twist will be, just how lovely it will be.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

I'm sorry. I was attempting to make a comedy joke and it fell flat. It won't happen again.

Misrepresenting your posts I mean, I'm still going to inevitably make lovely joke.

The joke was fine. Freak's just mad he didn't think of it first.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Who What Now posted:

The joke was fine. Freak's just mad he didn't think of it first.

Actually i'm mad that anyone would ever insert words about Tavros being good, into one of my posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bobulus posted:

So... maybe after Lord English is dead, Caliborn is socialized?

Homestuck Act 7: How to train your Cherub

I really do like the idea of Caliborn being redeem or domesticated or whatever and living out the rest of his days as a socialized and well adjusted skull monster.

He's just had such a lovely life: He grew up chained to a wall, he's never seen a TV show or a movie, and he has a bunch of brain problems. Also the closest things he has to friends are the felt (whom he likes but probably has trouble relating to since they seem to be much older than him. Most of the time they seem content to ignore him and do their own things) and Gamzee (who's only there to help groom him into a universe destroying monster).