Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Missy is Locke, the Doctor is Jacob, and Chris Addison is the bad explanation for the whispers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I liked that the solution to this episode was stolen from an episode of Road Runner.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
They're never going to bring back the Valeyard, it's been 30 years you can let it go.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Brett824 posted:

They're never going to bring back the Valeyard, it's been 30 years you can let it go.

They brought back the bloody Macra.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

I feel like the Dreamlord is the closest exploration of the Valeyard we'll see any time soon.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
So last September, Sesame Street had an episode with 'Doctor Two" and his "Two-dis". I wonder if the the "Twodis" in this episode was at all related to that.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
That was loving ace. Actual high-concept (well, sorta) sci-fi idea, creepy effects, actual funny comedy bits, great supporting characters.

This guy can stay, he's two A+ episodes for two.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

Why was the old guy such a complete fuckwad? I'm so pissed he didn't get his comeuppance for "GIVE ME THAT MACHINE!" and knocking the TARDIS away from Clara onto the train tracks.
I actually like that the episode ended without The Fuckwad dying.

One other thing from this episode got me wondering-- how many times has the Doctor let non-companions on the TARDIS as 12 versus 11, 10 and 9? I don't recall it happening often with 11.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Solvency posted:

So last September, Sesame Street had an episode with 'Doctor Two" and his "Two-dis". I wonder if the the "Twodis" in this episode was at all related to that.

This is almost as good as Grover's house.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Brett824 posted:

http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/trial-of-the-valeyard-929

After this, I doubt anyone can top Michael Jayston.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Can we just have Jamie Mathieson write every episode from now on?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I loved the old fuckwad. I hope he comes back. gently caress YOU PSYCHIC PAPER

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Solvency posted:

ENUMERATE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgxycSKCL2U

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
It's neat reading Mathieson's little blogs. Apparently he was brought in to try writing for Season One but his ideas got rejected.

He also gives a lot of props to Moffat. "And astride it all like the Who colossus that he is, Mr Steven Moffat, whose notes have fixed so many glaring errors and added so many cool aspects to the episodes that someone should really put him in charge of the show or something. No seriously. He's that good."

" A tiny Tardis, but only on the outside. That could be kind of cool, couldn't it? We started riffing on the possibilities; the Doctor's arm reaching out, passing long things out like a Tommy Cooper gag, poking people in the eye. The mad thing was that no-one had done it before. In hindsight it seems obvious. The exterior has always been smaller on the outside. In this episode, we just keep going.
The next part of the puzzle came from Steven. I'm sure I would have figured it out given time, but he's just so drat quick. 'I'll go you one better.' he said. 'Clara carries the Tardis around in her bag for the whole episode.'
My smile froze. Of course she does Steven. And every time anyone compliments me on the idea I will have to hold my tongue and grind my teeth knowing you came up with the cherry on the cake. drat your Bafta winning eyes."

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

NarkyBark posted:

The next part of the puzzle came from Steven. I'm sure I would have figured it out given time, but he's just so drat quick. 'I'll go you one better.' he said. 'Clara carries the Tardis around in her bag for the whole episode.'
My smile froze. Of course she does Steven. And every time anyone compliments me on the idea I will have to hold my tongue and grind my teeth knowing you came up with the cherry on the cake. drat your Bafta winning eyes."

Maybe I'm just a cynical poo poo, but that looks like real admiration with a nice side-dish of extra rear end-kissing to me.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
Was that Ricky Gervais at the start of the episode?

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

monkey posted:

Was that Ricky Gervais at the start of the episode?

Maybe if he is secretly a time lord and regenerated into a different person.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If nothing else it would be cool if they got Mathieson to help with monster design, he's clearly very good at it.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That was stupendous. For my money Clara is quickly becoming the best revival companion, she just has so much confidence and agency and gets to do so much stuff and have cool, heroic moments. It's hard to believe she's the same character from Season Seven.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Android Blues posted:

That was stupendous. For my money Clara is quickly becoming the best revival companion, she just has so much confidence and agency and gets to do so much stuff and have cool, heroic moments. It's hard to believe she's the same character from Season Seven.

I mean, yeah, she gets to do things, but none of those things feel natural to the person we met last season. She's better now, but I still couldn't give a poo poo about her storyline at all, especially as whenever her and Danny interacts their IQ's seem to dip by at least half.

Filox posted:

Maybe I'm just a cynical poo poo, but that looks like real admiration with a nice side-dish of extra rear end-kissing to me.

It's also not at all like having Clara carry the TARDIS around was the cleverest bit of the episode. In fact the bits that dragged the episode sound down were all Moffat poo poo - Clara and Danny's dumb phone calls and Mystery Missy being mysterious at the end.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.

Cleretic posted:

I kind of didn't like the whole shrinking TARDIS thing, although it worked overall--but it was a really solid idea tha I'm genuinely surprised I hadn't seen before.

There was Planet of the Giants, where an issue during materialization causes the Tardis and crew to shrink to inches tall. It also features a danger klaxon instead of the cloister bells.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Mathieson's blog posted:

In many ways, my Doctor will always be two dimensional and made of cardboard (a fact I truly hope is not reflected in my work on the show).

Interesting that the original draft was a vaguely-Smith Doctor, I can see how this script would have worked with either Tennant or Smith, having a harder time with Eccleston. Maybe RTD would have bitten on it if the Boneless had emitted a humorous honking noise.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Can I say that this was the first time in a VERY long time that, when the Cloister Bell chimed, I sat up and went "oh, no!"

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

CobiWann posted:

Can I say that this was the first time in a VERY long time that, when the Cloister Bell chimed, I sat up and went "oh, no!"

I didn't even notice. When did it sound?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

PriorMarcus posted:

I didn't even notice. When did it sound?

When the TARDIS was on the rails.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I thought that was a great episode. The way the monsters moved was so creepy. Bound to give kids nightmares. I also loved it when Capaldi dashed out of the TARDIS for his big speech, and then does that little weird Capaldi run/shuffle :3:

I also think they've really gone in such a fantastic direction with Clara's character. I'm not sure how much, if at all, Moffat and the BBC were worried about losing the Tumblr NuWho fans going to an older Doctor, but if they were then moving the young audience identification character into such a prominent role and blurring her with the lead was a great preemptive response.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
So I just finished watching Tom Baker's first season along with Terror of the Zygons. Are there any good documentaries or books to watch about the previous years that don't get into detailed spoilers of the rest of Baker's time?

Lipset and Rock On
Jan 18, 2009

CobiWann posted:

Oh, the kiddo nails it on the morning re-watch (first time for her)...

"Isn't this Fear Her but better?"

Does this mean I have to rewatch Fear Her now? :ohdear:

I was also reminded of Fear Her.

It says much about the quality of this episode that this in no way hindered my enjoyment of the episode.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Astroman posted:

I thought that was a great episode. The way the monsters moved was so creepy. Bound to give kids nightmares. I also loved it when Capaldi dashed out of the TARDIS for his big speech, and then does that little weird Capaldi run/shuffle :3:

I also think they've really gone in such a fantastic direction with Clara's character. I'm not sure how much, if at all, Moffat and the BBC were worried about losing the Tumblr NuWho fans going to an older Doctor, but if they were then moving the young audience identification character into such a prominent role and blurring her with the lead was a great preemptive response.

The first episode spent several scenes on justifying the decision to go with an older Doctor, to the point of having that whole awkward scene where Clara and Vastra talk about self-representation and how the Doctor's willingness to show his age is a sign of trust. Missy, the arc character, is essentially a cosmic fan girl.

It's safe to say that that anxiety about age has been baked into every part of the current series.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

whenever her and Danny interacts their IQ's seem to dip by at least half.

You've never known two people who dig each other who are independently sensible and wise and as soon as they think about the other they turn into drooling imbeciles?

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Trin Tragula posted:

You've never known two people who dig each other who are independently sensible and wise and as soon as they think about the other they turn into drooling imbeciles?

Do sitcoms count?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Trin Tragula posted:

Yes, it's called Congress/Parliament. :911: / :britain:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"Love makes you stupid" may be a cliche but it's a pretty accurate one, and I hope that all of you have had the joy of experiencing it before in your lives :shobon:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
AT LAST! After 24 hours, I'm FREE! Time to CONQUER EARTH WRITE ABOUT DOCTOR WHO

Anyway, I quite liked it. Cool execution of the Doctor-lite limitations, the Doctor's little dance after his Addam's Family bit was goddamn amazing, the nervous-system art was creepy as heck, and Capaldi finally got his I Am The Doctor speech. I particularly liked how he fixed his collar and all the other showmanship.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

Anyway, I quite liked it.

That's it? :iiam:

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

CobiWann posted:

Yeah, I like hearing the Cloister Bell as much as anyone, but it got overused a bit for a while.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I usually write as I think, and that helps me develop and refine my insights, but a sequence of malevolence and misunderstandings landed me, quite undeservedly, in Kitty Jail for the first time in very nearly a year. So I couldn't post and bounce ideas around with my usual aplomb.

Clara's Doctor-ish persona was a great plotline and there were a number of moments, like the hairband plan, that seemed to be direct commentary on the Doctor's past failures to save lives. I also anticipate lots of pocketbook-TARDISes at future conventions...

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

I usually write as I think, and that helps me develop and refine my insights, but a sequence of malevolence and misunderstandings landed me, quite undeservedly, in Kitty Jail for the first time in very nearly a year. So I couldn't post and bounce ideas around with my usual aplomb.

Oh? What happened?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

What do you expect? The episode was good, but wasn't an audio drama about a man in a technicolor dreamcoat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

Oh? What happened?

A few days ago in the Cosplay Photos thread, on the distant shores of Post Your Favorite, somebody inquired as to why I'd dress up as the Sixth Doctor. This person was confused by my decision not for aesthetic reasons, but because of his impression that there wasn't much TO Ol' Sixie beyond his "habit" of strangling women.

I wrote a somewhat lengthly but, in my opinion, measured and considered defense of myself (it's not the first time I've been accused of domestic-violence apologia because of the Coat) and the inquirer apologized. I figured that'd be the end of it, but yesterday I got home and discovered that I'd been put on a week's probation for that (now days-old) post, with the only reason given in the Leper's Colony being "Terrible".

Since the in-thread response to the apparently offending post over in the Cosplay thread had been almost overwhelmingly positive, I was pretty drat confused, so I popped of a polite PM to the mod who'd requested the probation, asking what it was I'd done wrong.

I got a prompt response, to the effect that [the mod in question] had grossly misread my post and that, upon review, decided it didn't actually merit a probation. The mod had therefore put in a request to the admins to reverse the polarity probation. I gave it a while for the bureaucracy to sort out, but until less than an hour ago the probation was still active due to what was, effectively, a clerical error (looking for "Doctor What" rather than "DoctorWhat" in the admin control panels). I got all that sorted out, though.

Apparently, the post only ever drew the mod's attention due to a report, filed by persons unknown (to me, that is; the admin I contacted quite reasonably didn't volunteer their identity, and I didn't ask), consisting exclusively of the word "autism".

But I'm back now. Hooray! :toot:

• Locked thread