Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Mass combat is something I picture as being similar to what you see in the LOTR movies where there's thousands of friendly mooks and enemy mooks swirling around the protagonists, but the camera is still focused Legolas and Gimli.

I would run it like a normal combat, but continuously describe how the battle is going on around them, and like the Pirates! game, the progress of the larger battle is tied up with how the tactical combat is going - the players are either fighting champions, or the enemy general and his bodyguards, or they're making a push right down the center, or they're the flanking hammer to the rest of the army's anvil (think Alexander's Companion Cavalry working with a Phalanx).

I'd do it exactly like this. Like, the good army's victory over the bad army is explicitly tied to the character's victory over the bad NPCs. The battle is mostly just described, maybe providing interesting "terrain" to move through. When the characters defeat the enemy general and his elite guard, the battle's over and the good guys won! If they fail, the battles over and the good guys lost and everyone's captured or dead anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I was about to post something similar to the previous post. Think of the army as a plot item: it doesn't change the mechanics of combat, it changes the kind of fights you can pick. And any enemy army will have threats that need to be neutralised by the PCs - like a siege engine or an enemy commander or a squad of elites - and that fight on the same kind of scale that the players are used to fighting on. I would make a list of these, decide in advance of the fight what will happen if the players don't take them down, and then make the players decide which ones they're going to focus their attention on.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
So one of my players got a job recently and gave us the okay to continue playing. I split the players off into a module that his Bard wasn't particularly interested in.

Eric decided to dump the World's Most Honest Assassin and go back to her original Dwarven Cleric. Due to some amazing rolls on my part, this Cleric that the Bard never met now has Klingon forehead ridges made out of cold iron.

We're starting to play as a trio again. How the hell do I explain this switcheroo?

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Don't. Have it be a new job the bard was given (or whatever) to help this cleric out, presumably the bard's been doing various small jobs while the player's been off doing life stuff, and this is just another.

e: didn't see there were just the three of you

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 11, 2014

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My players really like dungeonworld, but one or two of them aren't always available. What's a good game for the 3 or 4 of us who still want to play something a bit more Episodic?

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
PbtA stuff is actually the only system I've ever had work with 2-3 players, so I would probably sick with Dungeon World, or something like it.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
I've had great success with 3-player FATE games, too. But anything hyper-crunchy is likely to become problematic due to a lack of general skill coverage.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Haven't run it yet but am planning on starting a Dungeon World campaign for a group of folks who have never done pen and paper beyond playing my heavily modified version of Hero Quest. My question is has anyone run DW and have an idea what the upper limit might be for number of players? Obviously there has to be a point where simple things take too long because you have to go around the table to each player, I've seen sample games on youtube but never with more than 4 players, I'm wondering if it goes too slow with 6.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Dungeon World doesn't do initiative or turns the same way other games do: instead of each player taking it in turns to declare their action the GM cuts between them depending on where the focus of the narrative is right now. So six players doesn't raise too much of a issue with things slowing down (if there's one word that has never applied to any dungeon world session I've run, it's 'slow'!).

I have found that with more players all running around and doing their own thing, though, it starts getting tough to keep track of what everybody is up to. Six is just about manageable but I would definitely advise grabbing a second GM and splitting into two groups of three PCs if you have any more join.

Also, if you haven't already, check out the dungeon world thread in this forum -- it has links to some great PDFs for first time GMs.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Whybird posted:

(if there's one word that has never applied to any dungeon world session I've run, it's 'slow'!)

This.

If you make sure you're shifting the focus around a lot, there's no way anyone should get bored on their "off turn". Keeping track of 6+ players in a fight might get a bit silly if you've also got a lot of monsters in the battle and the players aren't good at keeping track of themselves. One thing I've seen DW be really successful at portraying is a bigger number of PCs vs one big monster. I've never run that fight though.

I have only run DW twice, but I really want to do it again. It's one of the few TTRPGs I've found where running it is more fun than playing it.

So now I'll ask for advice. I kind of want to run a DW game where instead of fighting orcs or goblins or whatever, the threat is big solo monsters. Like, the party is a crack team of monster hunters, and the world's monsters are all really big and scary, like dragons, giant giants, etc. Are there any resources I should look at for that specific type of game, or should I just DW the hell out of it like usual?

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 14, 2014

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Whybird posted:

(if there's one word that has never applied to any dungeon world session I've run, it's 'slow'!).

We got in a fight with the moon.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

AlphaDog posted:

So now I'll ask for advice. I kind of want to run a DW game where instead of fighting orcs or goblins or whatever, the threat is big solo monsters. Like, the party is a crack team of monster hunters, and the world's monsters are all really big and scary, like dragons, giant giants, etc. Are there any resources I should look at for that specific type of game, or should I just DW the hell out of it like usual?

Steal everything nifty from the Attack on Titan-based Titan World.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
So, my players were wanting a chance to gain extra credits so I figure as they are going to be involved in the Sepan Civil War as the Empire. (Imperial Army operation instead of Navy in Tie Fighter).

Figure out be fun to let them know that they are allowed the prize of capture as enemy ships get caught by them. It'll probably give them an incentive to not blow up everything.

So I just need ideas for making the first sortie fun and they have a personal combat transport to use.

I figure them being dropped in on a Dimok raid on an Ripoblus convoy carrying experimental warheads would be fun.

My players like the idea of the Empire having inter service rivalries to the point of Imperial Japan. Got any suggestions for that?

These warheads make blasters, electronics, and droids useless. I want them to find out they hit the big jackpot.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

biosterous posted:

Steal from my revised version instead! Even if it hasn't been tested at all! :v:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

biosterous posted:

I don't even really like *World games, and I still loving loved running this. This is a good plan.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

That looks like the sort of thing I can use, yeah. Thanks!

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Ramba Ral posted:

These warheads make blasters, electronics, and droids useless. I want them to find out they hit the big jackpot.

A shield generator could work, or some sort of control centre (literal for droids, or a comms network hub). Maybe while they're there they uncover a nest of bothan spies, or some sort of info the leads towards the next mission?

If the warheads permanently fry blasters or droids, maybe they want to sneak them into an armory? Ideally they can wreck a ton of enemy materiel without them knowing till they go to use it. Failing that, they still take out a load of stuff, just less sneakily. That way you can have a 'win' and a 'bonus credit' condition.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Alright, I think I'll be rolling with the idea of the goblin army being a terrain feature / opportunity for special operations. Our Bugbear chieftain's diplomacy and training of his troops will influence the way the army behaves and how many side-objectives will be required of the party to ensure victory in a battle. Thanks all.

As an aside, I want to run a one-shot game inspired by XCOM using a slightly modified Call of Cthulhu system. Is this a good idea y/n?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Glukeose posted:

As an aside, I want to run a one-shot game inspired by XCOM using a slightly modified Call of Cthulhu system. Is this a good idea y/n?

It sounds like an interesting challenge!

Apart from the basic monster reskinning, I'd
  • make 2 or 3 pregens per player
  • allow players to draw from the pregen pool at the start of each encounter
  • up the lethality of encounters
  • make any wounded character sit out the next encounter
  • after combat, promote any character that successfully scored a kill with big skills/bonuses (even if wounded).

Because it's a one shot I'm not sure you can emulate the regional prioritization of threats. That's a pretty central theme of the XCOM games, but those are long term strategic decisions that are only indirectly felt after several encounters -- I don't think you'll have enough encounters in a crunch-heavy system to make satellite placement, ignoring Europe, etc feel like meaningful, game-changing decisions.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

fosborb posted:

It sounds like an interesting challenge!

Apart from the basic monster reskinning, I'd
  • make 2 or 3 pregens per player
  • allow players to draw from the pregen pool at the start of each encounter
  • up the lethality of encounters
  • make any wounded character sit out the next encounter
  • after combat, promote any character that successfully scored a kill with big skills/bonuses (even if wounded).

Because it's a one shot I'm not sure you can emulate the regional prioritization of threats. That's a pretty central theme of the XCOM games, but those are long term strategic decisions that are only indirectly felt after several encounters -- I don't think you'll have enough encounters in a crunch-heavy system to make satellite placement, ignoring Europe, etc feel like meaningful, game-changing decisions.

The "2-3 pregen character" thing was something I actually failed to consider at the outset, so thank you for that! Along with slight modifications to the skill list as well (because I don't think an XCOM agent needs to roll for "Art" while a Hoverdisk bears down on them), I was figuring that the promotion system would come into play. I kind of figured 2-3 confirmed kills = specialization unlocked.

If my group thinks the idea is fun enough and we all have a good time with it, I could see expanding it to be more of a campaign with big decisions like satellites and poo poo coming into play, but for now it'll be a little skirmish based one-shot.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
You're welcome! It sounds like a really fun one shot!

A Delta Green character sheet may hit most of your needs for XCOM skills in a CoC world, though even some of those limited skills I'd chuck out unless you're expecting to, you know, drive cars around. :shrug:

Honestly, if I was already digging around in the guts of a 90's system, I'd just rip out the skill + ability mod system altogether and put in:
a class-defining skill that succeeds almost all of the time
two support/flavor skills that succeed most of the time
a blank skill that succeeds most of the time that players can fill out with whatever to give them some ownership of the characters

then promotions can boost those support skills or add new skills at the "succeeds most of the time" level.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Writer Cath posted:

this Cleric that the Bard never met now has Klingon forehead ridges made out of cold iron.

This Cleric is now morally obligated to headbutt one of the True Fae. Also bullshit some letter of introduction from an NPC they never met to introduce the Cleric. Handwaving is awesome.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Jackard posted:

Here are some 1" Diablo 3 tokens I printed up

Finally moved on from using chess pieces as monsters, here are the token files

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So, I want to switch my online group over from IRC to using some kind of virtual tabletop so we can actually play tactical combats instead of mostly theater of the mind stuff. We play a lot of the 40k RPGs, some Spycraft 1e, some older Warhammer Fantasy RP 2e, and such. Does anyone have any suggestions for applications to use?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Night10194 posted:

So, I want to switch my online group over from IRC to using some kind of virtual tabletop so we can actually play tactical combats instead of mostly theater of the mind stuff. We play a lot of the 40k RPGs, some Spycraft 1e, some older Warhammer Fantasy RP 2e, and such. Does anyone have any suggestions for applications to use?

Roll20.net

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Andrast posted:

Roll20.net

Well, that works perfectly and even brings in voice chat so we can stop typing all the goddamn time. Thanks.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
General rather than specific, but does anyone who's run some successful mystery-solving adventures have some advice for making them run smoothly? I've been thinking of running something with sort of a Scooby Doo feel to bits of it.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Night10194 posted:

Well, that works perfectly and even brings in voice chat so we can stop typing all the goddamn time. Thanks.

I don't recommend using roll20's voice/video chat, though. Just use skype for that.

I can't remember why, but it's lovely.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I've heard that for quite a while, and we always used Skype or Google Hangouts, but maybe they've fixed it by now!?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
No it's still bad, use Skype.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What makes it bad, exactly?

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

ProfessorProf posted:

General rather than specific, but does anyone who's run some successful mystery-solving adventures have some advice for making them run smoothly? I've been thinking of running something with sort of a Scooby Doo feel to bits of it.

You can find lots of advice for this tailored to the Gumshoe system, which is specifically designed for handling investigations. However, you don't have to grab a new system - you can steal some of the key ideas for a good Gumshoe adventure pretty easily.

The high points are:
- In Gumshoe, if a character has a skill that would let them find the clue, they find the clue. It's not fun in Call of Cthulhu when everyone flubs their Spot Hidden roll and the Keeper has to think about how to make sure they get the info anyways.

This also actually fits Scooby-Doo; the gang almost always finds clues on their first time through a room, unless a monster is chasing them. Generally, the fun of investigative games is in coming up with the explanations and assembling the clues, not finding the clues in the first place.

- Make sure everyone has different skills to pick up clues, so it won't be just one character finding them all.

- If you are using something with a pass/fail skill for clues, consider having them find the clue but their situation gets worse. For instance, it sets off a trap when they pick up the diary or the cultist overhears them in the library.

- Put in lots of clues and be sure to give them out. You're basically making a trail of breadcrumbs, but it's really easy to forget how confusing the mystery is to the other side of the table, who's working with very limited information. They're coming in knowing nothing about what's really going on, so don't be too stingy with the hints.

- Listen to your player's theories on what is going on. If they come up with something awesome, consider incorporating it or part of it. If they're totally off-track and your plot is more interesting, consider using a Socratic approach with slightly leading questions - So what was it you found in that room? And who had access to it?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
You can go the InSpectres route too and let your players define the mystery. Here, skill checks determine if a supposition is true. "I find a theatrical makeup kit in the grounds keepers tool box that is part of his disguise." *roll something and fail* "No sorry, you find the makeup and also a script that says property of the local community theatre."

it's way more freeform and low prep. Gets you to the action sooner and makes sure your players are invested in the mystery. Might go too far to sidestep structure depending on the themes you're trying to hit, though. This will make players Excited about the mystery, and you're unlikely to get any Horror or Apprehension unless you're inserting it on failed rolls. Then again, your target genre frequently involves slide whistles.....

The general rule of thumb is to prioritize characters reacting to the puzzle over players solving the puzzle.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jackard posted:

I've heard that for quite a while, and we always used Skype or Google Hangouts, but maybe they've fixed it by now!?

It's been a while since I've tried, but I know there's a way to integrate Roll20 and a Google hangout, like you can actually put Roll20 IN the hangout.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Night10194 posted:

What makes it bad, exactly?

Sometimes you just won't be able to hear a specific person for no apparent reason, or nobody can hear you, and then you have to keep reconnecting until it fixes itself.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Skype is awful garbage. Use hangouts and add Roll20 as an app. That's the only way to go.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

alg posted:

Skype is awful garbage.
Truth, didn't bring it up because I haven't much experience with Hangouts

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

alg posted:

Skype is awful garbage. Use hangouts and add Roll20 as an app. That's the only way to go.

Yeah, that's the one, there ya go.

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

alg posted:

I generally just open a Google Doc and a dice roller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
My tabletop/board game group has finally managed to get together again and are wanting to do Shadowrun. To mix things up a bit, I'm not going to do a normal runner campaign, but will instead be doing a DocWagon campaign, where the players are a team of heavily-armed paramedics called in to evac patients when things get hot. It's one of the suggested game variants from the old 3rd Edition 'Loose Alliances' sourcebook, and seems like it would be fun. Has anyone run one before? Even if no one has, does anyone have any ideas that might improve such a campaign?