Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It probably had a bunch of misc fonts in Japanese and the typesetter felt obligated to preserve that. Yes, it's a horrible thing that I wish the writers wouldn't inflict on us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Clarste posted:

It probably had a bunch of misc fonts in Japanese and the typesetter felt obligated to preserve that. Yes, it's a horrible thing that I wish the writers wouldn't inflict on us.

True, at times I really wish they'd go with simplicity instead of authenticity,

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Is there something in the vein of Love Hina (I know, I know)/Nise Koi that's both actually good and finished? I mean mostly the humor and not the harem aspect though.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Edmond Dantes posted:

Is there something in the vein of Love Hina (I know, I know)/Nise Koi that's both actually good and finished? I mean mostly the humor and not the harem aspect though.

Toradora has a lot of tsundere beating up the male lead, if that's the kind of humor you're looking for. If you're just looking for a non-harem romantic comedy without the tsundere violence, Lovey Complex. (Talking about the Anime in both cases)

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 6, 2014

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Edmond Dantes posted:

Try Mahoraba or Maison Ikkoku for a dude living in a dysfunctional apartment house. Neither have a harem, and Mahoraba's stories detailing all the side characters always surprised me when I first read it.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 6, 2014

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Alder posted:

I used to be really into 4 koma series but now not so much. I think it's the feeling how nothing really changes over time vs reg series. Who knows?

Ojojojo moves really fast for a romance manga, honestly. It's not been so long since it started, but the main couple are already a solid, if really awkward couple.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Mors Rattus posted:

Ojojojo moves really fast for a romance manga, honestly. It's not been so long since it started, but the main couple are already a solid, if really awkward couple.

At least it's faster than the pace of Kimi no Todoke.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There are glaciers out there right now moving faster than Kimi no Todoke.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
A yuri oneshot I found kinda funny.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Well, I have diabeetus and am spitting up rotten teeth, now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well, if we're playing that game.

http://bato.to/read/_/120820/cigarette-liar_by_yuri-project/1

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Can't remember if this was linked but just finished reading this

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/atashi-no-banbi-r4539

Just 4 chapters which sucks but the protaganist is pretty cool and it's a cute story

ed: just noticed it's by the same artist as Haru x Kiyo!

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Can we post about webtoons here too?

Cheese in The Trap is a ongoing webtoon hosted on naver and being translated by Odd Squad Scanlations: http://www.oddsquad.org/p/cheese-in-trap.html.

Still hoping there will be no love triangle.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Few new bits Ojojojo just dropped, they're technically just extras but one is pretty important for Haru's character.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Ojojojo/Vol-002-Ch-020-005-Read-Online?id=209942

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Alder posted:

Can we post about webtoons here too?

Cheese in The Trap is a ongoing webtoon hosted on naver and being translated by Odd Squad Scanlations: http://www.oddsquad.org/p/cheese-in-trap.html.

Still hoping there will be no love triangle.

A sweet love story between a college girl and a high functioning sociopath.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Xyven posted:

A sweet love story between a college girl and a high functioning sociopath.

Still a better love story than T___

But no really everyone in the story is a all aboard the crazy train.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Some more pretty cute reads I enjoyed

Nakanmon!

Has some pretty :cry: moments but it's sweet overall

Nanoka no Kare

Notable for having the only shoujo heroine I can think of in recent memory who falls in love with the guy solely for his personality

Kyou no Kira-kun

Freaking adorable, has the best heroine sidekick ever. Also pretty :cry: sometimes

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I doubt this is the right thread for this, but a word in this thread's title matches a keyword in this anime's ADTRWiki page so here goes- my fiancee pulled up the Revolutionary Girl Utena movie(?) on Hulu, and I'm watching it and I feel like I'm losing my loving mind :psypop: I just watched a girl get eaten by a giant car wash and turned into a F1 racer made of rotting flesh. This is after the cow wearing a yellow dress and the crazy shadow news reporters, and that's just the stuff I remember. Is it supposed to be really surreal? I just had to share the experience of my sanity deteriorating with someone before I'm completely gone.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yes.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
The movie is basically a concentrated dosage of the television series's weirdness--it makes slightly (and I mean slightly) more sense if you've watched the series. It's still loving surreal, but at least you know what it's riffing on (for example the cow in yellow dress is actually an in-joke from the series--it's basically the sole appearance of a character from that, who isn't actually a cow but is the butt of many jokes).

But, yeah, I recommend watching the series. It's pretty good on its own merits and far more accessible than the movie, if still somewhat surreal and full of metaphors.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 14, 2014

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nope this is completely the right thread since it's shoujo. :sparkles:

Sounds like the movie is working as intended! You should watch the series though, it's super good (and also weird, metaphorical, surreal...etc)

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

a kitten posted:

Nope this is completely the right thread since it's shoujo. :sparkles:

Sounds like the movie is working as intended! You should watch the series though, it's super good (and also weird, metaphorical, surreal...etc)

Just a fair warning though Utena the anime is very long-winded and I ended up jumping around b/t story arcs because a lot of it seemed extraneous and random. That and it's very retro style. I liked parts of it but overall the exp was underwhelming.

I liked Penguindrum more just because it made more sense plot-wise even though it's not as subversive or experimental. That and I really like character designer and style.

Um, Utena the movie, I tried my best to understand it even after watching the series but it's too :wtf:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Top to bottom that is a post with a whole lot of bad opinions re: Utena.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
A new chapter of Teasing Master Takagi came out!

Boy, it's no shame to like shoujo manga. :colbert: The end is absolutely torturous though.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I ended up reading the whole of Heroine Skikkaku, for some reason. The main character is a girl who is convinced, to the point of being delusional, that she's the main character in a love story with her childhood friend who doesn't return her feelings. It sounded interesting but as it went on I came to dislike the main characters more and more. Even the mandatory obnoxious other guy who shows up to sway away the girl turned out to be so much more likable. Think the blond guys from Kimi ni Todoke and Lovely Complex, except he's fairly popular and gets more character development. You know the type. Worst was probably the mandatory other girl who distracts the main guy who after he dumped her, turned into a complete slut and began dating an abusive guy who regularly beat her, all the while claiming how much fun she had living her life to the fullest or whatever.
What the hell? It even had a ton of views on the manga site and a pretty high review score. Would not read again.

But afterwards I read through Girl Friends, again, so now I feel all mushy inside. :3:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Poil posted:

I ended up reading the whole of Heroine Skikkaku, for some reason. The main character is a girl who is convinced, to the point of being delusional, that she's the main character in a love story with her childhood friend who doesn't return her feelings. It sounded interesting but as it went on I came to dislike the main characters more and more. Even the mandatory obnoxious other guy who shows up to sway away the girl turned out to be so much more likable. Think the blond guys from Kimi ni Todoke and Lovely Complex, except he's fairly popular and gets more character development. You know the type. Worst was probably the mandatory other girl who distracts the main guy who after he dumped her, turned into a complete slut and began dating an abusive guy who regularly beat her, all the while claiming how much fun she had living her life to the fullest or whatever.
What the hell? It even had a ton of views on the manga site and a pretty high review score. Would not read again.

But afterwards I read through Girl Friends, again, so now I feel all mushy inside. :3:

I read through it a while back. It wasn't very good, no. Which is a shame, because it was so close to actually being good. If she had just decided to stick with the blond guy who is easily the best character and left the other dude in the dust, then I think the manga would have been fairly unique and worth a read. But shoujo's gotta shoujo, I guess.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Terper posted:

I read through it a while back. It wasn't very good, no. Which is a shame, because it was so close to actually being good. If she had just decided to stick with the blond guy who is easily the best character and left the other dude in the dust, then I think the manga would have been fairly unique and worth a read. But shoujo's gotta shoujo, I guess.
Yeah that would've been so much better. But, the childhood friend trope is too strong and must always come true I guess.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I just finished reading Heroine Shikkaku too coincidentally, and I also agree that it had potential for being good, and then just squandered it, as well as going with terrible plot development. Only read it because it had a crossover with Hirunaka no Ryuusei, so I got curious. As for Hirunaka no Ryuusei, since it's still ongoing, it can go either way. At the moment it's decent, but if it ends up with her hooking up with her teacher again, I'll just put it in the terrible shoujo bin. I do give it props for having her uncle calling out the teacher on his bullshit though, and how them pairing up is terrible.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 19, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Every so often I'll check back in on Ao Haru Ride and yep, it's still dog poo poo with bad characters who I half-expect/want to get on a bus one chapter and then the bus just drives off a cliff and the series ends

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
While we're on the topic of awful shojo, I tried Kare wa Tomodachi thinking it might subvert some of those usual tropes (I must not have read the summary). When she got with her original love interest's friend really early on, I hoped it would just be them working on their relationship. It was not, and involved awful love polygons with people dating people they no longer care about and not admitting who they're in love with. I skipped ahead and there was a pregnancy in there somewhere and the girl had to leave town.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Sometimes I have to remind myself that most shoujo star teens in them and yeah, they'll do unreasonable things and it might take time for them to learn from their mistakes. But when I compare Ao Haru Ride to something like Say I Love You, the former is 45 chapters in and the main character has not learned poo poo from her insecurities while in the latter, everyone has their dumb massive moments and even the most antagonistic character grows from her actions even if she's still struggling right now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Or compare Ao Haru Ride to My Little Monster. Where Ao Haru Ride has dragged on that Ko had a lovely life or whatever and he's kinda creepy/abusive/possessive now but still has not really gone into it, My Little Monster's Haru's problems were laid out and explained in detail and it made him a better character.

I'm really surprised how good My Little Monster turned out. I remember it started out pretty weird and kinda bad, but by the end I found it fantastic.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Reminder that My Love Story!! volume two is in stores now.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
A fine reminder. With every purchase my bookshelf groans. This is unsustainable, but My Love Story!! is worth it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There's a new chapter of everyone's favorite healthy relationship (Horimiya 43).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Has Horimiya kind of gone off the rails lately or was it always like that and I've forgotten?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Sakurazuka posted:

Has Horimiya kind of gone off the rails lately or was it always like that and I've forgotten?

Nah, it's been 100% great apart from this abuse kick it's on now. Came up in the season thread as an exemplar of Non-Creepy Shoujo, even.

At least Miyamura seems to recognise that this is hosed up, I guess?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sakurazuka posted:

Off the rails lately, most definitely. I feel like the author has absolutely no clue where to take the story.

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!
Yeah the last few chapters have been pretty meh. I've found whenever I start losing interest, I go back and read chapter 40, laugh my rear end off, and get back on the Horimiya train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh I dunno, I think the latest chapter is off to a great start. :allears: