Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I just noticed that the volume icon is gone from the menu bar on clean installations of Yosemite.

Not terribly surprising since it didn't give you a very detailed look at the volume, but it was an easy way for me to glance up and make sure my laptop was muted for meetings/lectures. Time to check that box and put it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I have determined that not only do the fuzzy transparency text and volume rocker (sharp black edges) return to haunt you, but it looks like they are tied together as the same bug somehow.

I had it, a reboot fixed it, now I have it again.

Roll on 10.10.0.1.01.01

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Is there some hidden setting to force Messages.app to open every chat in a new window? I really do prefer that to the single list.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Minor issue that's still hanging around since the betas: Does anyone know what to do to get rid of duplicates of my own machine showing up under Shared in Finder? They're still multiplying :ohdear:

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Sorry, I suppose I should've been explicit, but I assumed that it went without saying: I googled it, I found that site, I tried what it said, and it didn't work. I'm running Yosemite. I believe I tried this a while back on Mavericks and it didn't work then either.

E: and before someone else suggests I try googling that too, let me say: I've done that. Only other answer I've found is to try:

code:
sudo nvram SystemAudioVolume="%00"
or

code:
sudo nvram SystemAudioVolume=" "
I got the %00 one to work once, but it stopped working after the first time. The other two options, as far as I can tell, do nothing.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 19, 2014

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Don't want to jinx anything, but 10.10 seems to be running just about like 10.9 on my "basic bitch" 4/128 MBA. Maybe since I've only got 100gb of data my SSD, but I'm not noticing any indexing slowdown in an hour of use.

The page wipe animation in launchpad is just a beat longer than it was on 10.9, but it's still butter smooth. I'm putting it down to just being a slightly longer animation by design.

Haven't given Safari a real workout yet, and I won't get a chance to put the battery to work until tomorrow, but smooth sailing so far.

Fake edit: Except for the Adobe Updater menu bar icon. The number next to the 'A' gets cut off halfway if there's an update available.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
^ Yosemite on my Mac Mini feels substantially faster than the Mountain Lion installation I had on there before.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

My mid-2010 pro feels about the same (maybe a little slower,) but that probably means it's starting to show its age.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I just noticed that the volume icon is gone from the menu bar on clean installations of Yosemite.

Not terribly surprising since it didn't give you a very detailed look at the volume, but it was an easy way for me to glance up and make sure my laptop was muted for meetings/lectures. Time to check that box and put it back.
It's been like that since the first developer preview. The fact they took it out by default actually kind of annoys me because I use option click on the menu bar icon to switch to AirPlay speakers and its another thing I need to remember to turn on with a fresh install.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
So I should probably not upgrade to Yosemite if I'm on a Mid-2009 MBP with only 2 gigs of RAM?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

keevo posted:

So I should probably not upgrade to Yosemite if I'm on a Mid-2009 MBP with only 2 gigs of RAM?

Buy more RAM and then upgrade to Yosemite.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

keevo posted:

If I were in your position I would probably wait until it's been out for long enough for at least one update to come out, see what people with older macs think, and go from there.

If you want to try it out, and you have an external hard drive handy, I would backup my computer entirely to that hard drive, install Yosemite, and see how it works. Worst case you can always go back to where you are.

E: also what Andrast said

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

fleshweasel posted:

Have you disabled and re-enabled it?

Yeah looks like that fixed it. Thanks!

Don Tacorleone posted:

Also, is it possible to send photos from iPhone -> Mac ? I can Airdrop photos from my laptop to my phone easily, but I don't see how to do it the other way around.

Same here. I wonder if it required iOS 8.1 for some reason? It appears a couple other continuity features do...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ok I actually did just google this, and poke around my Mac. How do I change the cities in my weather widget? gently caress Skokie, IL. I've never even been there. (I live on the west coast.)

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

For the people who say Yosemite is running without any problems, mine starts to lag mostly after > 1 day of use and mostly if I'm using an external display.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

Same here. I wonder if it required iOS 8.1 for some reason? It appears a couple other continuity features do...

It works for me with iOS 8. I did have to set the AirDrop visibility to "Everyone" on my Mac because probably I don't have my phone as a contact? It works like magic though.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Feenix posted:

Ok I actually did just google this, and poke around my Mac. How do I change the cities in my weather widget? gently caress Skokie, IL. I've never even been there. (I live on the west coast.)

Click the i.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Feenix posted:

Click the i that appears when you hover over the widget, then click Add down under the list of cities.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

carry on then posted:

Click the i that appears when you hover over the widget, then click Add down under the list of cities.

First thing I instinctively looked for. Never saw an "i". Guess I'll reboot again.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Safari:
Is there any reliable way to fix the "Google Safe Browsing service is unavailable" message? It apparently updated in April when I shut my machine off but I turned it back on this week and Safari is whining that it hasn't updated in over 190 days.

I've seen all kinds of "fixes" like unchecking the box, deleting com.apple.safari.plist in your personal Extensions folder, and then re-enabling it, but none of them seem to work. Yes, the message was gone after I did that, but then moments after re-enabling it returned.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

First thing I instinctively looked for. Never saw an "i". Guess I'll reboot again.

It doesn't appear until you mouse over the weather thingy.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

gmq posted:

For the people who say Yosemite is running without any problems, mine starts to lag mostly after > 1 day of use and mostly if I'm using an external display.

I have the exact same problem. Do you use Chrome, by any chance? I notice if I'm using my computer for any amount of time, Activity Monitor starts filling up with Google Chrome Helper (Not Responding) processes, which I can only get rid of my rebooting. So far I'm just rebooting my computer at least once a day and it's mostly useable but I'd really rather not have to do that.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Andrast posted:

Buy more RAM and then upgrade to Yosemite.
Yeah I'm definitely going to buy more RAM as soon as I can.

dik-dik posted:

If I were in your position I would probably wait until it's been out for long enough for at least one update to come out, see what people with older macs think, and go from there.

If you want to try it out, and you have an external hard drive handy, I would backup my computer entirely to that hard drive, install Yosemite, and see how it works. Worst case you can always go back to where you are.

E: also what Andrast said

For sure. I'm waiting for some programs to be officially supported before I update. That's probably the only reason why I haven't updated yet.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

dik-dik posted:

I have the exact same problem. Do you use Chrome, by any chance? I notice if I'm using my computer for any amount of time, Activity Monitor starts filling up with Google Chrome Helper (Not Responding) processes, which I can only get rid of my rebooting. So far I'm just rebooting my computer at least once a day and it's mostly useable but I'd really rather not have to do that.

No, I'm using mostly Safari. However when I use Spotify it gets filled by Spotify Helpers also not responding. Something that I have noticed that if you Force Quit "WindowServer" in the Activity Monitor, most of the problems will vanish for a while. It'll close your session but it's faster than rebooting.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

dik-dik posted:

Dumb question but did you check to see if they were still there after you closed chrome? I tried force quitting a couple of them myself and that resulted in various extensions and/or tabs closing.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

withak posted:

It doesn't appear until you mouse over the weather thingy.

I was trying that. Reboot fixed it. Thanks all. :)

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Mercurius posted:

It's been like that since the first developer preview. The fact they took it out by default actually kind of annoys me because I use option click on the menu bar icon to switch to AirPlay speakers and its another thing I need to remember to turn on with a fresh install.

It's still in all the marketing screenshots on apple.com, including the 5k iMac.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

dik-dik posted:

I got the %00 one to work once, but it stopped working after the first time. The other two options, as far as I can tell, do nothing.

Sorry for assuming you hadn't looked.

Since you had mentioned the idea of deleting an audio file, I feel I should mention that you'd be wasting time looking for solutions along those lines. The boot bong sound isn't a file on disk, it's built into the firmware. You can disconnect all storage devices from a Mac, power it on, and it will still make the sound.

This is why the various instructions use the "nvram" command line tool to change firmware configuration. I'm afraid your best bet is to find a NVRAM parameter and setting which actually works. You can print out a list of all parameters and current settings using "nvram -p". On my computer this doesn't produce anything which looks more promising than SystemAudioVolume and SystemAudioVolumeDB.

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005
I'm having trouble updating my macbook to Yosemite and was wondering if someone could help me out. I have a fully updated late 2008 (aluminum) macbook running 10.9.5. The 10.10 install process freezes with 22 minutes remaining every time I try. The same problem happens after I have tried trashing and re-downloading the install file as well as repairing the disk and permissions from the recovery partition. I haven't found anyone with too similar of a problem in the helps forums, and I'm not really sure what the next step is from here.

The error log is here: http://pastebin.com/FsLMfQT2

Anyone have a guess as to what's going on? The machine hasn't been acting up in any other way.

ManPortable fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 19, 2014

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Safari question. How do I remove a page from the top hit auto suggest? Not disable the list just remove a page. I have the root page of an intranet site on it that has no content, but always comes before the hit for the actual landing page on the same site.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

keevo posted:

I'm using a Mid-2009 15" MBP with 4 GB of RAM (and an SSD) and it runs fine for me. (Aside from iCloud Drive still being weird, but that's not related to the hardware.) Definitely upgrade your RAM and if you haven't put an SSD in your machine yet, I highly recommend it. It made it feel like a brand new laptop to me.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Tippis posted:

It doesn't seem to have search engine editing, in-menu bookmark management, or any real tab goodies. Amazingness greatly diminished. :(
Does KeySearch still work?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Anyone else not able to re-arrange dock icons?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

carry on then posted:

Minor issue that's still hanging around since the betas: Does anyone know what to do to get rid of duplicates of my own machine showing up under Shared in Finder? They're still multiplying :ohdear:

This always seems to indicate an issue with the network setup.

I've had the same thing and just fixed this yesterday by restricting access to my secondary Airport Extreme. I also got the old "Another computer on the network is using your IP" or however it's phrased. All that is gone now.

My guess is that it was because I've been assigning fixed IP addresses via DHCP and my Macs sometimes switched their connection from one router to the other when they felt like it, but the other AE didn't delete them from its list yet, hence the zombie machines with the escalation of the numbers behind their names.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pages completely shits the bed when a document has lots of shapes in it. Any tips on mitigating this?

edit: grouping seems to help.. Probably reduces the recalculation it needs to do while I type or when I move objects by a lot.

brap fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 20, 2014

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

flavor posted:

This always seems to indicate an issue with the network setup.

I've had the same thing and just fixed this yesterday by restricting access to my secondary Airport Extreme. I also got the old "Another computer on the network is using your IP" or however it's phrased. All that is gone now.

My guess is that it was because I've been assigning fixed IP addresses via DHCP and my Macs sometimes switched their connection from one router to the other when they felt like it, but the other AE didn't delete them from its list yet, hence the zombie machines with the escalation of the numbers behind their names.

Odd. My network is simpler, just an Airport Express with a desktop connected by Ethernet and a bunch of other stuff including the Mac I posted on WiFi. I had a DHCP reservation and a port forward I don't need anymore so I just got rid of them, maybe that will do it.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Hughlander posted:

Safari question. How do I remove a page from the top hit auto suggest? Not disable the list just remove a page. I have the root page of an intranet site on it that has no content, but always comes before the hit for the actual landing page on the same site.
Mouseover until the X appears in the top left corner (about 1.5 seconds). Click.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I don't see it on the first page, what is the recommended tool or tools for enabling button 4 & 5 on a mouse? I see many different ones:

• Microsoft IntelliPoint
  • Logitech Control Centre
  • Razer Synaspse
  • Steermouse
  • USB Overdrive
  • ControllerMate
  • BetterTouchTool

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Safari on Yosemite keeps stalling while loading sites. There doesn't seem to be any reliable cause—sometimes it'll get to maybe a quarter of the progress bar and then just sit there forever, but other times the same page will load normally. Other browsers work fine. Any idea what might be going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

carry on then posted:

Odd. My network is simpler, just an Airport Express with a desktop connected by Ethernet and a bunch of other stuff including the Mac I posted on WiFi. I had a DHCP reservation and a port forward I don't need anymore so I just got rid of them, maybe that will do it.

Another source of interference could be the router you got from whatever internet provider you use. I have UVerse and a glorious 2Wire router, which occasionally acts up (maybe once every 6 months or so). I've put my primary Airport Extreme in the DMZ and disabled wireless on the 2Wire. I still have DHCP on it, but a completely different IP number range from the AE (192.168.1.x vs 10.0.1.x).