Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Sickening posted:

Someone has brewed this on my LGS and it seemed awfully lackluster. There has to be some other tech to make this work.

I've been brewing with it too and it's been so-so. Looks like I just need to trim the fancy stuff like Jace and Dig Through Time and just make it consistent with a ton of removal.

It's at about 12 minutes in this video against Mardu. http://www.twitch.tv/magic/b/579622411

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Dakra Mystic on camera at the GP, in a 9-1 deck.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

I really want to run nyx weavers in my own deck as it seems useful not only for sending stuff to the yard but also for pulling stuff back that soul of innistrad and whip cant. Especially for getting back empty the pits if it gets milled. Also spiders own.

For some reason though despite being an uncommon from a reasonably recent set there appear to be none on sale whatsoever wherever I look in the UK. I'd understand if it was a dumb overinflated card like stoke the flames but it worth pennies.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Who the gently caress doesn't know the movie "The Blob" but knows the obscure villain "The Blob" from The X-Men....

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Who the gently caress doesn't know the movie "The Blob" but knows the obscure villain "The Blob" from The X-Men....
People who grew up in the 90s or later watching the X-men cartoons who don't watch movies from the 1950s and managed to avoid the awful 80s remake. I imagine that's a big demo.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

You are showing your age. The Blob (film) was a disastrous 1988 remake of a 1958 film. The Blob (X-men) is very much a prominent X-men villain who was regularly in the 90's X-men cartoon, the newer X-men cartoons, the live-action film X-men Origins: Wolverine, and has been in most X-men video games. If you were born after 1980, and are in the M:tG demographic, you probably are 100x more familiar with the comic version than the movie.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I'm a fan of the original "The Blob" movie and also I remember the X-Men character because of the X-Men arcade game.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So I've not been watching the streams, is Mardu just not being played, or is there something fundamentally wrong with it? I was pretty happy with the midrange deck based on the SCG 2nd place from right after the set launched. Crackling Doom and the walkers are fantastic.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Toshimo posted:

You are showing your age. The Blob (film) was a disastrous 1988 remake of a 1958 film. The Blob (X-men) is very much a prominent X-men villain who was regularly in the 90's X-men cartoon, the newer X-men cartoons, the live-action film X-men Origins: Wolverine, and has been in most X-men video games. If you were born after 1980, and are in the M:tG demographic, you probably are 100x more familiar with the comic version than the movie.

Yup, had no idea he was in the cartoon version and somehow erased the awful Wolverine movie from my mind. Only Blob I knew was from the original X-Men comics and I think he comes back once or twice up through the 70s and maybe early 80s. Believe it or not, though, I had never read an X-Men comic before last month, I found a handy reader app for my tablet and have been plowing through the series.

I still think it's weird for people to not know the movie, though.

EDIT: Jesus, Magus of the Moat wins a game against Elves.

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 19, 2014

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

So I've not been watching the streams, is Mardu just not being played, or is there something fundamentally wrong with it? I was pretty happy with the midrange deck based on the SCG 2nd place from right after the set launched. Crackling Doom and the walkers are fantastic.
At least 2 Mardu decks are 10-1 at the GP right now.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

There's a match between two 10-1 Mardu decks on the GP stream atm, FYI

E:beaten looks like

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Classic Scry then Fetch mistake on stream. I must have seen that happen a dozen times since Khans Standard started.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

The X-Men arcade game is why. Nothing moves the Blob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OOCBSvG5yo

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
So Jim Davis was just slow playing for the draw on the SCG stream right? The way he's been playing this Game 3 has just been ridiculously slow, even when he didn't have any complicated decisions to make.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Sampatrick posted:

So Jim Davis was just slow playing for the draw on the SCG stream right? The way he's been playing this Game 3 has just been ridiculously slow, even when he didn't have any complicated decisions to make.

Someone intentionally slow playing at an SCG event? Impossible.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Sampatrick posted:

Wouldn't expect any better of the creator of Garfield.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I liked how quickly game one of this Elves vs. Reanimator match went down. T1 fetchland, entomb for Norn. T2 Animate dead, kiling what is otherwise a very good looking board of dryad arbor, deathrite shaman, and wirewood symbiote. Elves player extends the hand.

EDIT: And in game two, he reanimates his opponent's Scooze because he's too low on life to renimate anything in his own 'yard. Incredible.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 19, 2014

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Buttcrack guy sheds a single tear for Brad Nelson's homage to his art piece

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Boxman posted:

I liked how quickly game one of this Elves vs. Reanimator match went down. T1 fetchland, entomb for Norn. T2 Animate dead, kiling what is otherwise a very good looking board of dryad arbor, deathrite shaman, and wirewood symbiote. Elves player extends the hand.

EDIT: And in game two, he reanimates his opponent's Scooze because he's too low on life to renimate anything in his own 'yard. Incredible.

I don't see how game 1 is a good game unless you have some irrational hatred of Elves? I think it's boring when the Reanimator player just has the nut draw opener.

The Scooze play was good, and that was a really interesting game.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Lol look at this rear end in a top hat on the GPLA stream with a SARS mask.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

mcmagic posted:

Maybe he's got a cold and is being courteous?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

mcmagic posted:

It's Bertoncini in disguise.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

- Future Ebola victim mcmagic, 2014

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Oh man looks like Big Knucks Kibler vs. Sligh in a win-and-in feature match. I also wasn't really following SCG this weekend but I see that Tom Ross's Sligh list in somebody else's hands got 2nd.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Champion of Gameday at my LGS piloting Temur. :toot:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Deckit posted:

Champion of Gameday at my LGS piloting Temur. :toot:

I placed 6th with Temur, traded my Top 8 Utter End for a Remand. Felt good.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Rinkles posted:

Dakra Mystic on camera at the GP, in a 9-1 deck.

What deck? I've got it in my Yisan deck and it can be a champ with/vs coursers.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

mcmagic posted:

Given how incredibly ill I became after going to GP Orlando, I wish I had worn one. If you're sick, stay home, I always catch the plague from some idiot.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I don't see how game 1 is a good game unless you have some irrational hatred of Elves? I think it's boring when the Reanimator player just has the nut draw opener.

The Scooze play was good, and that was a really interesting game.

I get a kick out of how ridiculous the nut draw against Elves is. Like, the nut draw against most decks still makes you think "why play anything else," but most decks at least can cast removal against your Griselbrand or Norn or whatever. Elves, if I know the deck right, literally cannot win.

Meanwhile, at the GP, Kibler steals a win by being able to Stubborn Denial a Stoke because the other guy tapped all his land rather than convoking. Crazy.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Kibler just won a game by Stubborn denialing a Stoke the Flames because the red player paid only w/ lands instead of tapping a Rabblemaster.

Equilibrium posted:

What deck? I've got it in my Yisan deck and it can be a champ with/vs coursers.

Some weird "fair" Jeskai Ascendency deck. I don't think the decklist was published.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 19, 2014

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Boxman posted:

I get a kick out of how ridiculous the nut draw against Elves is. Like, the nut draw against most decks still makes you think "why play anything else," but most decks at least can cast removal against your Griselbrand or Norn or whatever. Elves, if I know the deck right, literally cannot win.

Meanwhile, at the GP, Kibler steals a win by being able to Stubborn Denial a Stoke because the other guy tapped all his land rather than convoking. Crazy.

I play Elves, and yeah....seeing a turn 1 Entomb is not a good feeling. There's literally nothing you can do game 1 except hope they are waiting for a turn 3 Show&Tell and you can go off turn 2. I've won through a few odd scenarios, discarding a Griselbrand to hand size to reanimate it comes to mind. Basically if they can't get a turn 2 Norn you have a shot IF you can go off and are on the play. If you lose the die roll you're basically hosed.

The other side of the coin is that there are many matchups that are the exact reverse. Game 1 against Merfolk or Goblins I just laugh.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Everyone laughs against Goblins and Merfokl, they aren't real decks.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Given how incredibly ill I became after going to GP Orlando, I wish I had worn one. If you're sick, stay home, I always catch the plague from some idiot.
Those masks don't protect you from getting sick. They protect you from making other people sick. People don't understand how they work.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 20, 2014

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

These interviews are agonizing. "I'm an actor by trade. This is a city full of a lot of dreamers."

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

The only real way to be safe is to play in full hazmat suit.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I've decided to let everyone on my street know how cool their neighbor is.

Took about 2 hours if I take out all the times my wife interrupted me to call me a nerd.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The Nastier Nate posted:

I've decided to let everyone on my street know how cool their neighbor is.

Took about 2 hours if I take out all the times my wife interrupted me to call me a nerd.

That is an dope pumpkin and as a bonus the red mana symbol looks like a skeleton barfing fire up his own head.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

The only real way to be safe is to play in full hazmat suit.

The best way to be safe is to always be the sickest person at an event :unsmigghh:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

rabidsquid posted:

The best way to be safe is to always be the sickest person at an event :unsmigghh:

Center For Disease Control confirms outbreak of Swine Ebolaids following wizard poker tournament.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

rabidsquid posted:

That is an dope pumpkin and as a bonus the red mana symbol looks like a skeleton barfing fire up his own head.

Thanks. The red one actually looks the best although I don't think it photographed that way.

I also have this one as if the mana symbols didn't telegraph enough:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I don't get this one, all I see is a person with their arms up running away from a fire.

• Locked thread