Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Sweet CupnCakes posted:

My questions are these:
1. Many websites mention that they are playful and love people but then say the need a firm person because they are strong willed. Is this a polite way of saying the bird will bite until it gets its way? I'm not worried about myself (the primary caretaker) but my mom has arthritis in her hands and I know she would be in a lot of pain from a constantly biting bird.
2. I want a bird that has already gone through puberty. Does that lessen the possibility of my bird changing attitudes in the long run?
3. Is purchasing a bird from someone on craigslist a bad idea? I know not to get dogs from byb's but I don't know if the same rules apply to birds?
4. Tell me all the reasons I wouldn't want this type of bird so I can make an educated decision.
I got both of my birds from craigslist. This route is fine but be careful, because there do exist bird-flippers out there. Keeping an eye on rescues is your other primary option, though you could also do what I did a few years ago (it worked, but took a while) and ask around at good bird stores (like Omar's) about if they know anybody who is looking to rehome their bird (for human reasons, not bird behavior reasons).

Getting a bird post-puberty is a good idea. It does lessen (though doesn't eliminate) the possibility of the bird's personality changing drastically, but not all personality changes are for the worse, and much of the influence on this will be the environment the bird lives in and how much (and what type) of attention it is given.

Others that have caiques can comment better on the average temperament for the species but keep in mind that every individual bird is very different.

That said if you aren't looking at getting a baby bird you're better off having a short list of species that you'll look at rather than just one or two.

The absolute #1 most important thing on your (or your mother's) part when having a bird (particularly a strong-willed bird) is patience and the ability to not get angry when your bird is being a horrible little poo poo. Because sometimes it will be, but anger will never solve that and only serve to scare the bird.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweet CupnCakes
Feb 13, 2007

Did you ever walk in a room and forget why you walked in? I think that's how dogs spend their lives.

SaNChEzZ posted:

I can tell you right now that if you're going to spend the money on a Caique, just buy it from Omar's. You will not find a better hand raised and human oriented bird from anyone else. Which one do you go to? Also, if you buy a bird from Omar's they do free grooming (wings+nails) which is awesome :)

As far as Caique ownership, I can't really say much but I want one :ohdear:

I got to the one in Brea, California. I love that their birds are so wonderful and they always know the personalities of the birds. I don't mind spending the money or anything for a baby. I think I just had it in my head that rescue was a good way to go since there are probably lots of birds out there that need a good home. I realize the Caique may not be as popular so they may not come around in the rescues as much as things like cockatoos and such. I like a lot of options, conures, parakeets, senegals, etc... I just saw my mom and how she couldn't leave the Caique birds alone.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Sweet CupnCakes posted:

I got to the one in Brea, California. I love that their birds are so wonderful and they always know the personalities of the birds. I don't mind spending the money or anything for a baby. I think I just had it in my head that rescue was a good way to go since there are probably lots of birds out there that need a good home. I realize the Caique may not be as popular so they may not come around in the rescues as much as things like cockatoos and such. I like a lot of options, conures, parakeets, senegals, etc... I just saw my mom and how she couldn't leave the Caique birds alone.

If you're down in Brea, you should check out the Lily Sanctuary. I'm not sure what their policies on adoptions are, but I'm sure they'd love to rehome to someone that's interested in a companion bird as an actual companion, not just decoration :)

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I'm gonna quote myself here.

Wizard of Smart posted:

As a Caique parent, I can tell you that you need to understand they socialize differently. They're like the dogs of the bird world, they love to wrestle each other in the wild, and will happily bite the hell out of you. Because they love you and that's how they play.

They're also very demanding. I have to pay way more attention to JJ than any of the others. They also get into trouble. Constantly. I can show you the pictures of her foot from where she chewed through a rope perch in one night and got tangled up in it.

They are also very, very loud. I've been surprised how loud they are, even for birds. I've got an audio recording of a morning at my house somewhere I'll try to find and upload for you. It's crazy.

These are things that you need to know, from one Caique fan to another, before you decide on one.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I wish I lived near a real bird store. In a few years I'll be looking to get another bird but it would be nice to be able to visit and play with a bunch of parrots. The only places that sell birds near me are petsmarts. They're nice pet smarts and they'll let you take the conures out to play with them and the birds seem happy but it's a totally different beast all the same.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
One of the best things about living in Australia is the wild parrots. Go to a park with a bag of bird seed, and with enough patience you can get them eating out of your hand.

My girlfriend and I went on holiday to Denmark in WA last year, and I had a bag of sunflower seeds in the back of the car. Only took a few days, and the wild parrots warmed to us and I could get them eating out of my hand out the front of the house we were staying in.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Hubris is starting to perch on my hand ... for seconds at a time. :( Oh well! Progress.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

chthonic bell posted:

Hubris is starting to perch on my hand ... for seconds at a time. :( Oh well! Progress.

That's good! Maybe try different ways of letting him perch on you? Fuji hates sitting on my finger and will hop off as fast as possible, but he loves being in "the boat", which is just my cupped hand. He'll sit there for ages if I let him.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
They totally ignore me if I just offer fingers to sit on, but both Hubris and Gnosis will hop onto my hand for a few seconds if I offer my whole hand - palm up or down - so I've just been offering my outstretched hand.

We're also slowly finding out what music they like. :3: They sing along to World/Inferno Friendship Society and Franz Ferdinand, but they don't seem to like metal.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

chthonic bell posted:

They totally ignore me if I just offer fingers to sit on, but both Hubris and Gnosis will hop onto my hand for a few seconds if I offer my whole hand - palm up or down - so I've just been offering my outstretched hand.

We're also slowly finding out what music they like. :3: They sing along to World/Inferno Friendship Society and Franz Ferdinand, but they don't seem to like metal.

This is hilarious and adorable. Fuji also likes to sing along to things... but he really likes power metal and dubstep. He hates any of my instrument only music (especially guitars, for some reason), and he really, really hates Enya, of all things. I would have thought it'd be the other way around, because he's such a sweet, calm little thing. Birds.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

chthonic bell posted:

Amadeus always dances to the chorus of Rock Me, Amadeus, hence the name. I also discovered yesterday he looooves Lorde's album, he sat poofed on his favorite perch murmuring softly until I turned it off. :3:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
As far as bird music goes, the universal favorite for Ziggy (GCC) and Bubbles and Kima (tiels) is the Disney Musical radio station on Spotify.

It's on loop in my office when I'm out at work most of the day and when I come home and dare to turn it off, I usually get a lot of protests.

This definitely feels like practice for parenthood.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Teeka likes opera and has an excellent vibrato himself :3:

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

The birds like to sit with me when I'm working on the computer. My dog likes to nap next to my computer chair. Zeke hates my dog and loves shoving stuff over the side of the desk.

And that's how my dog got hit with a mug full of cold tea, officer.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Boop loves helping me play GW2. When I'm standing around chatting of something, sometimes I stop short of falling off a cliff or jumping into lava. Boop has my back, though. She knows exactly when I've forgotten to make that final plunge.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Sekkira posted:

Boop loves helping me play GW2. When I'm standing around chatting of something, sometimes I stop short of falling off a cliff or jumping into lava. Boop has my back, though. She knows exactly when I've forgotten to make that final plunge.

You should join GW2's Goon Squad if you haven't already. All of the frequent dungeoneers/fractal-runners get to enjoy me dying and then blurting out wwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaa3333333aww immediately after.

Thanks Amadeus. Keep on punching that Enter key for me buddy.

e: So many members of this thread have played GW2 at some point or another we actually had our own guild for a while, but Bird Crazies [WARK] is my bank guild now and y'all can't have it back!!!

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 16, 2014

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I'm in a guild with old friends from GW1, plus I've been hanging with TTS who've been really pushing support in the community.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

You should join GW2's Goon Squad if you haven't already. All of the frequent dungeoneers/fractal-runners get to enjoy me dying and then blurting out wwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaa3333333aww immediately after.

Thanks Amadeus. Keep on punching that Enter key for me buddy.

e: So many members of this thread have played GW2 at some point or another we actually had our own guild for a while, but Bird Crazies [WARK] is my bank guild now and y'all can't have it back!!!

I found that box btw, hit me up on the facespace if you still need the key.

Jinxie Monroe
Apr 9, 2007

No really.
Thank you.

Wrecking Ball posted:

My budgie has been acting very bitey and bitchy these past few weeks. I suppose I might be doing something wrong, like giving off signals that make me lower on the pecking order.

Should I stop her from sitting higher than me/ perching on my shoulders for a while? (Does this actually contribute to a bird thinking it is dominant?)
A few times she has bit my hands when I am trying to take her off my shoulder and move her to somewhere else. I am remedying this in particular by asking her to step onto a stick instead of my finger, which spares my hands.

She also seems to be getting possessive of food dishes. Any time I have to grab a dish, whether to take it from the cage, or put it back in, she bolts to my hand and into the dish. Today she was even wildly attacking my fingers, biting me and making angry squeaking sounds as I tried to put the dish back into her cage.

Other notes:
-I re-arrange her cage once a week.
-She is good at stepping up from perch to perch, finger to finger, and finger to perch. (Just not from shoulder to finger, little jerk!)
-She doesn't appear to be in breeding condition (no brown cere, if anything it is almost blue-white.)
-Her flight feathers are growing out longer (gaining confidence? when I first got her she was clipped very short and would drop to the ground if she tried to fly)
-When I leave the room, she always wants to be RIGHT THERE WITH ME OHMYGOD. Unless she is in her cage, which is still true, because she will run back and forth on the cage floor frantically until I let her out. I have been trying to ignore the crazy running on the cage bottom behavior.

I didn't see anyone else answer you so here goes: The perching dominance things is BS, don't worry about it. Budgies really don't bite very hard, like they can barely break the skin when they go full aggro so I find the easiest solution when they get a little bonkers is to just let them have at it to show you give no shits and the biting isn't going to work.
One budgie I recently rescued knew how to step up, but at some point had learned to be a bitey little poo poo to avoid having to do so, I trained her out of it by just not reacting when she attacked my finger. Now she steps up with no fuss.

Same when my first little girl decided the food dish was hers and hers alone to touch, reach in and freeze until she's worn out on attacking, then calmly do whatever I was going to do. Budgies catch on really fast when they learn they aren't getting anywhere with bites, but if you react and pull away it massively reinforces that they can bully you by biting. You get a nice advantage in that the damage they can do is pretty negligible compared to the bigger birds.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Even with the bigger birds, you shouldn't react.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land

Sekkira posted:

Even with the bigger birds, you shouldn't react.

Easier said then done with a Grey, or simarly sized birds.

Still, when it happens, I tell Karl off, calmly, then I calmly walk upstairs to cry and suck on my bleeding finger.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
To each his own bird, but increasingly I wonder why I would ever want a bird bigger than a conure.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Halloween Jack posted:

To each his own bird, but increasingly I wonder why I would ever want a bird bigger than a conure.

Me too. A Grey or a macaw used to be my heart's desire, but then I got a GCC and discovered most birds aren't as docile as an elderly ladytiel.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Me too. A Grey or a macaw used to be my heart's desire, but then I got a GCC and discovered most birds aren't as docile as an elderly ladytiel.

I once had a neighbor with a macaw, and I currently live next to a decent-sized airport. The airport is quieter.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Owners of the local garden centre have two pet Macaws, they bring them into work with them each day so they don't get lonely/loud/destructive at home alone, and they are in large cages in the centre of the shop with dos and don'ts on a sign like: "these parrots are very talkative, please don't teach them to swear because it may offend other customers".

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

We got an Amazon from a bird store and it is SO MUCH easier to not react when they already think they are biting you as hard as they can (which isn't very bad). The rear end in a top hat secondhand parrots who have learned to just try again harder are the ones that have hosed up my hands the most.

Jinxie Monroe
Apr 9, 2007

No really.
Thank you.
Holy poo poo yes about 2nd hand birds. I didn't know budgies could even break the skin till I was working with this little rescue bird. She latches on and actually starts grinding her beak in when she decides it's go time. I seriously had no clue a budgie would/could do that, I'd only heard horror stories about larger parrots pulling that poo poo.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

My parents macaw Zoe will do that to your finger. Beak all the way around your finger, clamped tight, grinding away. We also had a teil who knew to pry his lower beak up under the fingernail.

So basically rescues are great and secondhand parrots make great companions, but they do tend to take a lot more work. Zoe was super angry when we got him but now he is a more loveable form of jackass.

greypearl
Jul 26, 2007
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Odd, Pearl doesn't grind, she just has first clamp down (breaks skin, but not too bad) and second clamp down (why that's an interesting scar on your hand). Second clamp downs are a lot rarer these days, thank god. I used to have all these white marks on my nails from where she had grabbed my fingers, and now we're 99.5% clean (a little one at a fingernail tip, but it might not have been from her).

If I had to do it again, I'd totally get another medium sized bird. I like that I can wrap my hands around her and roll her over, and give her hugs (at around 12 she started tolerating them, and now she enjoys the attention). I like that she sits on my knee and falls asleep sometimes and I can feel her weight there. I like that she thwacks the side of my head with her beak to give me a kiss and I can tell she is putting all of her energy into it. Sometimes when we're in the bathroom I wrap toilet paper around her. She opens cabinet doors and we have to put step stools in front of them to stop her. I'm sure there are a lot of aspects of these interactions that can be had with any companion bird, but for me the physical presence (and all the force that can go along with it) of Pearl is a major aspect of her that I relate to and I would miss in another species. Some of us are just funny in the head, I guess.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

That is a really touching post, greypearl. :3:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Anais is on egg number six. Only five are in the cage though because Archer ate one the other day. Also Anais decided one egg is not worth sitting on and flings it away if I put it near the others. Cockatiels are weird.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Poor Fuji. He hates grooming day. I haven't been able to find a good grooming perch for him, so every once in a while it's grooming day and I have to clip his nails and see if his flight feathers need re-clipping. He hates it so much, and I dunno how to make it easier on him. I basically have to make him into a bird-ritto so he doesn't move at the wrong time, and I try to do it as fast as I can. After, he gets some millet and scritches and some nice alone time, but he still hates it (and my hands) for about a week afterwards. Any suggestions to making this easier on the both of us?

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

Leeloo acts like Im murdering her, even though I tried to get her used to it when she was a baby. Some birds are just drama queens, she gets over it pretty quickly.

Wrecking Ball
Jul 16, 2011
Thanks for the biting advice. I am doing my best to ignore her attacking.

Sociopastry, this is something that may work for you. Someone in this thread suggested this for me a few months ago when I had to give medicine to my budgie twice a day for two weeks.

Try wearing gloves to clip Fuji's toenails/ trim feathers. (If you are dexterous enough). Thin cheap fleece gloves. My bird seemed to think it was just some sort of evil medicine monster instead of my hands, so she wasn't so scared to come to my hands after we medicated her. Maybe it would work in your situation too.

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
Happy Halloween!

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Ordered Roudybush pellets (Nibbles, so the smallest available size). Soon begins the fun of switching them from seed to pellets. I'm optimistic - they've been interested in all new food I offered them, except grapes.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Speaking of pellets, I've started giving Ozzy the same pellets that I feed Nugget, so now they are both eating the budgie-size Zupreem pellets. Nugget has always been on the budgie-size ones since she used to live with Sprite, plus she would just explode the cockatiel-sized ones everywhere :derptiel:

I've noticed that there's a lot less food all over the floor since the switch :toot: I feel kinda bad that he can't really hold his food in his foot anymore but less mess is nice... Am I going to cause psychological trauma to my bird? Surprisingly, he doesn't seem to care at all. I guess he's used to it from sneaking into Nugget's cage to eat her food once in a while.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
My budgies don't hold anything with their feet. Possibly because they're still young??

Also, it turns out they're almost definitely English budgies, so um: what's the life expectancy of those?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

chthonic bell posted:

Also, it turns out they're almost definitely English budgies, so um: what's the life expectancy of those?

About 15% less than the rest of the western world depending on what part of England they are from. Serious answer up to 10 years I have seen quoted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
So Ziggy is still a little skittish around our hands. He won't come out willingly, but when we eventually manage to get him out, he calms down a lot.

Our new strategy is taking him out every day, bringing him out of the cage room, taking him to the kitchen table and feeding him delicious fruit.

It's working:

He's a good little baby.