Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Blind Sally posted:

I'd say it's on par with other ironic forum names, like "You Look Like poo poo".

"Pet Island" -> "Penis Land" is the standard by which all forum renames should be held up to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
It good and makes me laugh. Because it's true.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.
I was rooting for the name to be Nintendork Entertainment System but this'll also do.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
But we are all friends here, right? :gbsmith:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Good first step. Now rename the Sandcastle to the Power Glove.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
Because it's so bad? :iamafag:

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

StoryTime posted:

But we are all friends here, right? :gbsmith:

well, this is awkward

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

Good first step. Now rename the Sandcastle to the Power Glove.

Does this mean we can bring back the Blast Zone VirtualBoy now?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Harsh. Fair, but harsh.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I love watching people get bent out of shape over a thing that ultimately makes no difference, please keep it coming.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Mico posted:

I love watching people get bent out of shape over a thing that ultimately makes no difference, please keep it coming.
Literally no one is bent out of shape over this.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
If you're bent out of shape, go to the emergency room, as you probably just broke your back and that is not good for your health.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Suspicious Dish posted:

If you're bent out of shape, go to the emergency room, as you probably just broke your back and that is not good for your health.

What if you're just practicing Yoga?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

That's how you get bent into shapes.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yoga can hurt: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/08/magazine/how-yoga-can-wreck-your-body.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Blind Sally posted:

Yoga can hurt

I don't know what to believe anymore... I shall pray to Dash Rendar in hopes of enlightenment.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Mico posted:

I don't think I've seen a single negative comment about the name that didn't amount to "I was hoping it would be more insulting."

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014

Suspicious Dish posted:

If you happen to be made of metal, please visit your nearest blacksmith. He'll hammer you right back into shape.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
All goons please stay safe from the yoga menace by never exercising amen

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The new title doesn't really bother me, I just don't really get it. Is there some deeper joke I'm missing or is it literally "hurr Nerds with No Friends also Nintendo?" Because that's like 4/10 poo poo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I would've preferred if it were the name of the Games subforum in general, by itself the joke doesn't really have anything to do with LP.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Nice criticism.
4/10.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

I would've preferred if it were the name of the Games subforum in general, by itself the joke doesn't really have anything to do with LP.

It's because you're using Let's Plays as a substitute for friends.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

The new title doesn't really bother me, I just don't really get it. Is there some deeper joke I'm missing or is it literally "hurr Nerds with No Friends also Nintendo?" Because that's like 4/10 poo poo.

it's actually really funny

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Spiritus Nox posted:

90's kids will remember the NES.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Red Metal posted:

But I'm not.

No, no, this doesn't add up at all! :crossarms:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Red Metal posted:

Oh. I guess I was overthinking it. It's that quality of joke where it's like all you can really say is "oh okay yeah I get it".

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
The admins are just preparing before they make the nofriendo entertainment system a subforum of the imp zone.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

IceAgeComing posted:

The admins are just preparing before they make the nofriendo entertainment system a subforum of the imp zone.

I'd be okay with that because it would get the Nofriendo Entertainment System the Imp Zone's kickass buttons

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

alcharagia posted:

I'd be okay with that because it would get the Nofriendo Entertainment System the Imp Zone's kickass buttons

Imp Zone has a couple of really nice thread tags too!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

What's the imp zone?

Oh.

Oh my.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Xander77 posted:

What's the imp zone?

Oh.

Oh my.

I still don't get it. Is it just supposed to be a games version of FYAD?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Crain posted:

I still don't get it. Is it just supposed to be a games version of FYAD?

It's a place to have fun talking about video games

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's like Games except for normal threads, not megathreads, but also people don't use capital letters or punctuation for some reason.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CJacobs posted:

It's like Games except for normal threads, not megathreads, but also people don't use capital letters or punctuation for some reason.

That's not necessarily true. I often punctuate in Imp Zone. Sometimes I don't bother. It doesn't matter.

It's a place to talk about video games and the rules are fairly relaxed. Unless you don't like video games--in which case you shouldn't post there because vengeance will be swift.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

videogames are terrible garbage tho

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm just a crotchety old man who likes subforums to be named what they are because we don't have time to remember which in-joke means what.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Who the gently caress spent $30 on this?

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
So I want to do an LP of Armored Core V as kind of a project to learn how to use premiere and audition, as well as save anyone the misfortune of spending money on the game just to see what it's like. I did a few test videos and was wondering if I could get some feedback on if they look alright or if the sound balance is all out of whack. Most of the source footage is gone for the title video so I'm kinda hosed on redoing that at the moment, but I figure I can take some lessons from it.

The plan is to do all the missions after the intro tutorial with group commentary and all the garage sections solo. Any feedback would be appreciated.

~

[ Banner image and title video ]

[box art or whatever]

What's this?
Armored Core V is a game about giant customized robots fighting other giant customized robots and looking cool in the process. They tend to be extremely poorly explained as well. V is something like the 14th game in the Armored Core series and while the series is popular enough in Japan to keep it running, it's a pretty niche game everywhere else.

The general gist of the games is that you play as a mercenary with a giant robot. In V, you primarily fight on the behalf of one faction, but whether that's due to ~anime ideals~ or the fact that they pay you utterly ridiculous amounts of money is left unexplained.

V and its sequel/expansion Verdict Day were developed in an effort to bring the gameplay closer to that of the PS and PS2 era-games in response to 4 and For Answer's idiotically twitchy pace. Most of the good mechanics from 4/4A carried over into V/VD, and I'm of the opinion that they managed to find a very good middle ground in the process. It would be a stretch to call the game good, but it's definitely fun. Multiplayer is tactical, teamwork makes a difference, and they managed to greatly diversify the designs that got brought into games.

Too bad the servers for V are down now. Multiplayer in VD is almost dead, but you can still play it if you can get enough people together.

these words are gibberish
Much like the plot. I'll clarify as we go on.

Why are you playing this?
These games have a terrible learning curve. You get dumped into a customization area with zero explanation and are immediately assaulted by walls of numbers and words that make absolutely no sense. Most people I've seen that try and get into the games wind up putting them down in frustration. I don't know of anyone off the top of my head who has tried to teach how the games work, so I figured I might as well try my hand at it. Playing through single player is just to show it off, as V has on average the longest story levels out of any of the AC games.

What makes you qualified?
First of all, I'm willing to spend money on these awful games.

I've been playing the series since the third game, Master of Arena, and kept up with it ever since. I played a fair amount of multiplayer in 4/4A and V/VD, and while the scenes were very short-lived, they would help you get real good real quick. Multiplayer in these games is obscenely unforgiving, and many people tend to give up quickly after the Nth time of getting curb stomped without dealing a single point of damage in return.

I managed to stick around long enough to wind up on the giving end of that. I'll talk about a lot of the stuff I saw and learned, since it's mostly tribal knowledge that will die off if it's not recorded. Maybe I'll be able to get Nanomashoes or TPS to get in here and talk about some old matches and ridiculous gimmicks.

what the gently caress is even happening I thought that guy was dead and why do you have dumb tank legs and
Because anime.

If you're confused, that's normal. I'll reemphasize this a lot. Just post your questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

Let's begin.

[ Intro + Tutorial Mission ]
[ Garage Talk - Introduction to the Game ]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Who the gently caress spent $30 on this?

This guy.

• Locked thread