Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh

CJacobs posted:

Wow, the O2 kit that causes an ice shockwave when you shoot with more than a certain amount of O2 left is just plain nuts in a non-vacuum environment. It causes that shockwave on every shot because your air is constantly refilling. This game is full of so many broken insane weapons and items that I have to wonder if they even bothered to test some of them. :psyduck:

This with an amp shield is crazy. Freeze SMG is nice because it triggers freeze.

Played through- was fun but a little brief. It was funnier than 2. Wish it let me start on TVHM. Will come back to it once all the dlc comes out.

The grinder gave me a purple Maliwan with a Jakobs barrel. It's too nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Is it me, or does Angel not appear in the game at all? Maybe I missed her, but this is like prime Angel character development territory because it's before she sells the Borderlands 1 crew out and forces them out of New Haven but after the events of the Claptrap revolution DLC, meaning it's between two major events where she does plot relevant things.

edit:

This tweet (rip Ryan Davis) is especially funny in hindsight because Jack literally falls to his knees and swears revenge which is a just similar enough cliche for it to be ironic.

She has lines in the mission 'Boarding Party', but that about all I've noticed so far.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

She has lines in the mission 'Boarding Party', but that about all I've noticed so far.

She has another line in the mission on the station where you have to collect echo recordings about Claptrap. There's also an adorable picture of her on Jack's desk.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
EDIT: NVM

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Regarding that bikini photo the only one I dont' recognize is the brain-in-a-jar lady. Huh?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Speedball posted:

Regarding that bikini photo the only one I dont' recognize is the brain-in-a-jar lady. Huh?

Steel, a bad guy from the first game, in her form that appeared in the Robot Revolution DLC.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I was expecting her to be the power source for the giant satellite laser. The reality was kinda disappointing.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Eschatos posted:

I was expecting her to be the power source for the giant satellite laser. The reality was kinda disappointing.

Sirens aren't intrinsically full of power, they only get like that when hopped up on Eridium, which hasn't really been exploited yet. Though I am surprised Angel has not been more in the game.

Also, Jack being a (semi) nice dude at the beginning doesn't make sense as he was already quite ruthless when he forced Angel into her first 'golden throne', which would have been before BL1.

Skandranon fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 20, 2014

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I think Angel will work better in DLC, where the absence of Lilith and Roland will mean they don't have to carefully avoid those two finding out that Angel is Jack's daughter a few years too early.

I also hope the BL2 characters show up in the DLC, even just as people questioning Athena. I miss Gaige.

Zylen
Mar 25, 2005

The third time, the exception becomes the rule
The elemental Athena tree is amazing, you run around making yourself invincible with a ~+200% fire rate, making GBS threads out explosive lightning and fire storms everywhere like an angry Greek God.

Hands down best character :colbert:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Skandranon posted:

Also, Jack being a (semi) nice dude at the beginning doesn't make sense as he was already quite ruthless when he forced Angel into her first 'golden throne', which would have been before BL1.

He's putting on a nice face, but the big thing is that Jack IS an rear end in a top hat. He's just better at hiding it early on.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

He's putting on a nice face, but the big thing is that Jack IS an rear end in a top hat. He's just better at hiding it early on.

Yeah, basically you can only be an rear end in a top hat with impunity once you have power.

I am going to have SO much fun with the Doppleganger when it comes out.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Zylen posted:

The elemental Athena tree is amazing, you run around making yourself invincible with a ~+200% fire rate, making GBS threads out explosive lightning and fire storms everywhere like an angry Greek God.

I just wish storm weaving duration scaled with ranks in its talent, having to switch weapons every 10 seconds gets irritating after a while.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Zylen posted:

It's awesome but I was disappointed with the final skill and switched to the left-hand tree once I hit level 25. The ricochet is just hilarious.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
I'm kinda bummed out that the pre-order "Shock Drop Slaughter Pit" Arena is inaccessible if someone in your party does not own it. Are there any other arenas in the game?

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Is it just me or does the difficulty make a sudden jump right after Helios Station? These new Legion fuckers are, well, fuckers. Playing Athena with an awesome Corrosive laser I didn't have much trouble with RK5 though.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Skandranon posted:

That's not really that dickish. Getting her addicted to Eridium and using her as a power source is one thing, but keeping her locked up is for her own good, or at least Jack thinks so.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
In a game where everyone is kind of an rear end in a top hat. Its not so much Jacks fall into being evil than becoming Pandora's #1 enemy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's important to remember that, by this point, Jack has already tricked the BL1 vault hunters into opening the vault via Angel.

Borderlands 2 reveals that Angel was not lying to the vault hunters about the vault's contents to save the galaxy from the Destroyer as her excuse is in the first game, she ACTUALLY lied to them because Jack told her to so that he could harness the power of whatever is really in it. By the events of this game (plot spoilers for this game), he has yanked the eye off of the Destroyer and is using it to power the big H's laser cannon meaning he was successful.

The "get to know Jack" quests in Borderlands 2 reveal that the next step was always to wipe out the bandits on the planet and take control of it. Right now he is in the part of his plan where he is harnessing the vault's power to take over the planet and move up in the ranks at Hyperion. Jack is/was always deceitful, a dick, and generally a bad guy. It's just that before he was a SYMPATHETIC bad guy, and this game shows how he went off the deep end.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 20, 2014

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It's official, this game hates me. I went through the entire game and all optional content and didn't see one single legendary item. I even beat the raid boss on my own (Pretty fun fight when solo by the way... Probably would've been harder were I not playing as Athena and thus immortal about half the time) and nothing.

I'm getting the drat cheat engine tables for any other characters I make, I don't give a drat. Other than that, game was fun and all. Kinda wish it was possible to mod BL2 to have low gravity and buttslams though, I don't think I can go back to the lack of mobility options in that.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Beat the game, gotta be the best borderlands to me just because of the grinder and oz kit. Last boss fight was fun as poo poo.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Infinity Gaia posted:

It's official, this game hates me. I went through the entire game and all optional content and didn't see one single legendary item. I even beat the raid boss on my own (Pretty fun fight when solo by the way... Probably would've been harder were I not playing as Athena and thus immortal about half the time) and nothing.

I'm getting the drat cheat engine tables for any other characters I make, I don't give a drat. Other than that, game was fun and all. Kinda wish it was possible to mod BL2 to have low gravity and buttslams though, I don't think I can go back to the lack of mobility options in that.

Tvhm really helps with the drop rate. The first boss firestarter gave me an oj. Been getting ojs every hour or so

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
It's okay game, I didn't want to keep all those heads and skins anyway:sigh:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Reiley posted:

I think I'm the only joyless soul in the world who doesn't like the floaty moon jumping and having to hit crouch to land quickly whenever I want to. I sorta liked skipping around at close range with short jumps and I still don't really like the moon gravity.

I kinda have to agree with you. I'm not a big fan of the moon jumping. It is fun at times, but when you have to get up a small edge, its more annoying than anything.

Also, for me the crouch thing were you slam on the ground is useless. I can't use it in combat due to the fact that I kinda suck at this game.

All in all, so far I prefered for most mechanics.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The "turn in the quest" text for the raid boss quest makes me laugh because it's the third time I've done it over three different playthroughs and I saw not a single legendary and maybe like 4 purples during the "lootsplosion" at the end each time. Also it's piss easy by yourself even if you're way underleveled. :rolleyes:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

THE loving MOON posted:

That's kind of what I was thinking after I grinded up a bit on TVHM in BL2. And then they just gave everybody quadruple the health and made slag more or less mandatory. :(

Is it true that there isn't slag in the pre-sequel? I hated that mechanic.

edit: answered my own question. There isn't, thank god

Why did you not like Slag in BL2? I spent half the game with a Slag gun and thought it was awsome. Once you get Axton's turret to auto-slag, you just cant be stopped. THats the impression I had anyways.

Is it a particular thing you hate about the mechanics, or you just hate to /have/ to use it?

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Boganella shotgun is the best thing ever.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Dalael posted:

Why did you not like Slag in BL2? I spent half the game with a Slag gun and thought it was awsome. Once you get Axton's turret to auto-slag, you just cant be stopped. THats the impression I had anyways.

Is it a particular thing you hate about the mechanics, or you just hate to /have/ to use it?

Mostly the latter I guess. I just didn't like having to switch to some slag SMG or whatever and give everything a good hosing down to prime them before really getting down to business.

I never played Axton but I played a lot of Anarchy Mechromancer, so it's not like it was really hard to slag stuff. Just an annoying prerequisite.

edit: I'd just rather carry around a 4th sweet gun than a slag sprayer that I only pull out at the start of a fight to apply slag.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 20, 2014

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

that feel when no one will gently caress me

Did your right hand turn you down again?

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Dalael posted:

Your turret autoslagged everything so it wasn't that onerous but with other characters you have to constantly switch guns to shoot an enemy once or twice to slag. It was annoying.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

THE loving MOON posted:

Mostly the latter I guess. I just didn't like having to switch to some slag SMG or whatever and give everything a good hosing down to prime them before really getting down to business.

I never played Axton but I played a lot of Anarchy Mechromancer, so it's not like it was really hard to slag stuff. Just an annoying prerequisite.

That was my big gripe with Slag as well, on its own it didn't do anything and it didn't do anything fun or interesting, it just made me hit harder. It wasn't fun to use and I didn't enjoy "having" to switch to a Slag weapon to maximize my overall damage.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Slag is one of those mechanics that makes more sense in a large group setting, where it could make sense to have a dedicated "slag character". In a game that can be played solo, up to an absolute max of 4, it was a pretty poorly thought out mechanic.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I think Slag was only non-annoying in cases where it was something you could add onto a thing you were doing anyway (like Maya's Cataclysm capstone that made Phaselock apply it, or making Axton's turret autoslag, etc, etc.). But when you have to do it through weapon switching then you either end up not bothering (and doing worse) or hating the necessity.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Jsor posted:

Slag is one of those mechanics that makes more sense in a large group setting, where it could make sense to have a dedicated "slag character". In a game that can be played solo, up to an absolute max of 4, it was a pretty poorly thought out mechanic.

Well even then, would you want to be the designated slag guy? I wouldn't. Me and my friends made it like 5 levels into the UVHM cap increase before just getting bored and doing something else. :geno:

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Dalael posted:

Slag was a dumb mechanic because it was an element that was useful until it actually applied to a target and then it became the least-useful gun in your inventory, like having an inventory slot dedicated to a gun that defeated its own purpose where you could just carry any of the trillion other useful guns and just shoot things to death in 2 seconds instead of one and a half.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I've beat Borderlands 2 three or four times and I used slag maybe once or twice that entire time.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Your turret autoslagged everything so it wasn't that onerous but with other characters you have to constantly switch guns to shoot an enemy once or twice to slag. It was annoying.

Yeah I can see why it would be annoying. I played the game mostly co-op the whole way, so even when I didn't have the slag on the turrets, either one of use would have a slag gun.. So never really had to switch between weapons like that...

Guess that is one more reason why Axton is my favorite character in that game.

As for Pre-Sequel, I haven't found any freezing weapon yet.. But from what you guys are saying, it looks like its a weapon I'm going to enjoy alot. I really, really suck at aiming. So If I can get someone to stop moving, all the better.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
If you gave Salvador that one gun from Moxxi that heals you for damage dealt with Slag on it and wield it with some other horribly OP gun during Gunzerk, you win the game forever.

Really if you pick Salvador you win the game forever, he's loving broken as hell.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Is it possible to put purples in the grinder? I can't seem to create a valid combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Dalael posted:

Yeah I can see why it would be annoying. I played the game mostly co-op the whole way, so even when I didn't have the slag on the turrets, either one of use would have a slag gun.. So never really had to switch between weapons like that...

Guess that is one more reason why Axton is my favorite character in that game.

As for Pre-Sequel, I haven't found any freezing weapon yet.. But from what you guys are saying, it looks like its a weapon I'm going to enjoy alot. I really, really suck at aiming. So If I can get someone to stop moving, all the better.

I suck at aiming and played Axton first time around too.

Nisha is *amazing* for me. Lasers are pretty great too.

• Locked thread