Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

1st AD posted:

Should've gotten internal flash memory instead of wasting cash on a fusion drive :colbert:

Yeah, kind of regretting it now. Problem is my current space usage is 927 gigs. That's just too close to the maximum SSD size I could get to be comfortable with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

1st AD posted:

Should've gotten internal flash memory instead of wasting cash on a fusion drive :colbert:
Yeah, I waffled for a bit and then went for the SSD. It's easy to add on external disks using USB 3 or TB 2.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

horse mans posted:

Yeah, kind of regretting it now. Problem is my current space usage is 927 gigs. That's just too close to the maximum SSD size I could get to be comfortable with.

:psyduck: jesus how???

flavor posted:

Yeah, I waffled for a bit and then went for the SSD. It's easy to add on external disks using USB 3 or TB 2.

yeah now this is the poo poo.

Is the RAM still user serviceable on these things? I haven't kept up with the iMac design changes other than the obvious smaller body size due to the removal of the optical drive.

Choadmaster posted:

The CPUs in the Mac Pro are way better (and pricier) than the iMac's, and the dual GPUs in the Pro are insanely expensive (someone correct me but last I looked I think they were around $1300 each, though maybe they're cheaper). It's nothing like the iMac, hardware-wise.

Yeah the GPU's are expensive, but if I'm not mistaken the 4gb configuration offers similar performance to the base D300 configuration on the Mac Pro. Depends on whether or not Davinci, Red, etc. have optimized software for the R9's yet.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Respect.

Choadmaster posted:

The CPUs in the Mac Pro are way better (and pricier) than the iMac's, and the dual GPUs in the Pro are insanely expensive (someone correct me but last I looked I think they were around $1300 each, though maybe they're cheaper). It's nothing like the iMac, hardware-wise.

Yeah, it's really for a different market. This article gives some good comments about why one would choose the Retina iMac over the Mac Pro. I still wouldn't mind getting a Mac Pro at some point, but I currently have none of the needs described in that article for choosing the Mac Pro over this iMac.

Once there's an external monitor of this quality or better and a Mac Pro that can use it, I'll consider that, but that may be in 2016 or so.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

1st AD posted:

:psyduck: jesus how???

230GB music, 190GB cold storage of old hard drives, backups and optical media, 150GB of movies and things downloaded from Youtube and Twitch, 90GB Steam library, 60GB photo library, 30GB Documents, 25GB non-Steam games, 16GB programming projects, 34GB OS X System, 15GB applications, and the rest is the standard miscellaneous crap that piles up on any system.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

horse mans posted:

230GB music, 190GB cold storage of old hard drives, backups and optical media, 150GB of movies and things downloaded from Youtube and Twitch, 90GB Steam library, 60GB photo library, 30GB Documents, 25GB non-Steam games, 16GB programming projects, 34GB OS X System, 15GB applications, and the rest is the standard miscellaneous crap that piles up on any system.

The first three are over 500GB and could easily live on an external USB3 drive or basic 1/2-bay NAS.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

BobHoward posted:

The first three are over 500GB and could easily live on an external USB3 drive or basic 1/2-bay NAS.

Let me understand what you're saying.

1. Accessing my data will be slower with a platter drive than an SSD, so;
2. I should move it to the network so I can have an SSD in my computer?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Right now, you have maximally 128GB on your 128GB SSD (if I got it correctly that the Fusion drive is a 128GB SSD), so you only have SSD speeds for 128GB of your stuff. If you put your data (movies, music ...), for which access speed is usually much less important, on a platter drive, you could have a bigger SSD.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Cingulate posted:

Right now, you have maximally 128GB on your 128GB SSD (if I got it correctly that the Fusion drive is a 128GB SSD), so you only have SSD speeds for 128GB of your stuff. If you put your data (movies, music ...), for which access speed is usually much less important, on a platter drive, you could have a bigger SSD.

Point taken. But it doesn't look like I can change my configuration at this point, and I guess the access speed isn't really noticeable to me. Worth considering next time around, though.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yeah realistically most people are gonna need something like 256gb on a SSD - the rest can go external, and if you REALLY need the speed you can throw the rest of your crap on some extra SSD's via USB3 or Thunderbolt.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Technically speaking, it might be possible to go to eBay and muddle around and retrofit a larger PCIe SSD into your iMac and roll your own Fusion drive. Recently I had a client who had a 1 TB platter Mini, she bought a 512 GB Samsung EVO, made it into a 1.5 TB Fusion drive and she swears it runs faster now.

BobHoward posted:

The computer really should be taken apart and dried out properly though.

All Retina MacBookPros have their keyboards literally glued to the top case so this doesn't really help for liquid spills. In addition, top case and keyboards are only available as combined units.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 19, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I bought a new base level MacBook Pro last night. I immediately upgraded it to Yosemite, and it's working and looking great (though the switch to Helvetic Neue and the transparancies make it look very close to Linux Mint's default theme, which is... interesting).

When I use a laptop on my desk, I like to use a mouse. I was using a Microsoft Sculpt Comfort mouse with my old laptop; it works pretty well with OS X, but there's a side button/gesture area that I was hoping to use with Mission Control and Spaces. Unfortunately, Microsoft doesn't support the mouse on OS X.

So I went into storage and dug out my old wired Apple Mouse--the one with the scroll ball and squeeze gesture (hey, I really want to be able to use Mission Control with a mouse!). Unfortunately, when I go into System Preferences, the changes I make don't actually seem to take effect.

Is anyone else still using their old wired Apple Mouse with Yosemite that can confirm that changing the button assignments doesn't work?

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

lelandjs posted:

So I bought a new base level MacBook Pro last night. I immediately upgraded it to Yosemite, and it's working and looking great (though the switch to Helvetic Neue and the transparancies make it look very close to Linux Mint's default theme, which is... interesting).

When I use a laptop on my desk, I like to use a mouse. I was using a Microsoft Sculpt Comfort mouse with my old laptop; it works pretty well with OS X, but there's a side button/gesture area that I was hoping to use with Mission Control and Spaces. Unfortunately, Microsoft doesn't support the mouse on OS X.

So I went into storage and dug out my old wired Apple Mouse--the one with the scroll ball and squeeze gesture (hey, I really want to be able to use Mission Control with a mouse!). Unfortunately, when I go into System Preferences, the changes I make don't actually seem to take effect.

Is anyone else still using their old wired Apple Mouse with Yosemite that can confirm that changing the button assignments doesn't work?

Get BetterTouchTool and it'll let you assign functions to those buttons on your Microsoft mouse.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Choadmaster posted:

Right now I'm torn between spending $600 to upgrade the ancient gpu in my 2009 Mac Pro or just saving up for another year and getting the 2nd gen retina iMac though.

Pretty much the state I'm in and good luck finding the official Mac versions of any of the supported Mac Pro video cards. Had the card in my Mac Pro fail and the flashed-for-Mac replacement I used is causing weird fan issues anytime the machine isn't basically idling where the fan ramps up to max speed and back down to normal speed every minute or so.

I could get a retina iMac now, but I keep thinking that jumping on this generation when the next gen will probably have Thunderbolt 3 and Displayport 1.3 might be a mistake.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

If anyone remembers I had that flickering coloured pixel problem on my mid 2010 iMac last winter. The Apple store pretty much gutted my iMac twice and it's been fine ever since but they didn't know what it was exactly. Well, I upgraded to Yosemite and I noticed it came back. I wasn't able to grab a screenshot but I rebooted and it's gone for now. Goddamnit :(

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
After some back and forth I ordered the base level 15" rMBP as my new desktop machine. It helped that it cost $350 less than in the Apple store. I loved my late 2009 27" iMac but when I had to hit the road for a couple of months last year it simply sat at home collecting dust, and I learned to love my 11" Air. So in the end I went for portability + power + some extra screen estate.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 19, 2014

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day

BobHoward posted:

Clearly she got some liquid into the keyboard and possibly trackpad too. The question is whether it was enough liquid to reach the logic board. If it was just the squeezings from antibacterial wipes, hopefully not? Keyboard/trackpad replacement is a lot more affordable than the logic board.

If you need to log in right now, plug in an external USB keyboard.

If you want to try something which might get the computer working again, get a large plastic bag, put some dry rice inside, shut the computer down, put it in, seal the bag, and leave it for 24 hours. Try to make sure you're not going to get any grains of rice in the ports. The rice will act as a desiccant. You might be able to dry the keyboard out enough for it to work again (or at least work better). The computer really should be taken apart and dried out properly though.

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

I had the exact same symptoms with my mbook Air when I cleaned it using eyeglass tissues and some (what I felt was) miniscule amount of lens cleaner fluid which was sprayed just on the tissue. Wiped down the keyboard and trackpad, but apparently wasn't careful enough and soon my Air acted like I had the Command/Alt keys permanently pressed.

Eventually the keyboard started working enough to get back into OSX. Using the keyboard tools I was able to confirm the keys b through / aren't working and uncannily if I press any of the left cmd, opt or ctrl keys it acts as if all three are pressed.

It was a Dettol (:britain:) antibac wipe, I'm amazed at how little fluid it took to cause that damage. It didn't even take that much grease off the keyboard. I'm going to take it to the Apple Store with a print out of the cleaning instructions from the Apple site and see what the damage is/if I'm justified in being upset about how easily it was damaged.

For reference my Mum is a nice woman and meant well.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Dettol antibacteria wipes actually have quite a lot in them, give them a good twist and see.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Apple Store doesn't have the Retina iMac yet, if anyone wants to see it in person. They said Friday, along with the new iPad.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

smackfu posted:

Apple Store doesn't have the Retina iMac yet, if anyone wants to see it in person. They said Friday, along with the new iPad.
That reminds me: how the heck did iFixIt get one to teardown already, since they usually have to get their stuff from the Apple Store? Maybe Apple actually gave them an advance unit this time.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

horse mans posted:

Let me understand what you're saying.

1. Accessing my data will be slower with a platter drive than an SSD, so;
2. I should move it to the network so I can have an SSD in my computer?

More like those three categories of things (music, cold storage, downloaded movies) don't need everyday SSD performance, so who cares if they're on slower storage, and thus some options open up.

You'll probably do fine with fusion drive, you just mentioned having second thoughts. So... if you wanted to spend even more money you could go 1TB SSD + a 2.5" 1TB external USB3 and partition your ~1TB of data in half.

Apple ought to make it a hell of a lot easier to get to the HDD bay in the iMac. Having to use an external if you buy a SSD-only config is dumb, you ought to be allowed to open the thing with a few screws and plug in your own 3.5" HDD.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

BobHoward posted:

More like those three categories of things (music, cold storage, downloaded movies) don't need everyday SSD performance, so who cares if they're on slower storage, and thus some options open up.

You'll probably do fine with fusion drive, you just mentioned having second thoughts. So... if you wanted to spend even more money you could go 1TB SSD + a 2.5" 1TB external USB3 and partition your ~1TB of data in half.

Apple ought to make it a hell of a lot easier to get to the HDD bay in the iMac. Having to use an external if you buy a SSD-only config is dumb, you ought to be allowed to open the thing with a few screws and plug in your own 3.5" HDD.

It was a tough call. I think at the end of the day I just like having everything in one place. No drives hanging off the machine, no NAS to maintain.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

flavor posted:

:hfive:, I ordered basically the same thing except I opted for the 512gb SSD instead since I have a NAS.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
The one place where I think the benefit of the Fusion drive gets tamped down is if you want to bootcamp your computer or run a sizeable VM on it, since all of that stuff gets obligately put on the slower HDD.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

horse mans posted:

What's to report? I bought the most retarded maxed out retinal iMac and I can't loving wait.

Gratuitous action shot:

Why did you spend $600 on RAM from Apple instead of $280 on RAM from Amazon?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Is the 3TB Fusion drive really up to the task? I can't find any information on what model they're shipping it with or if it's even 2.5" or 3.5". I'm concerned about taking a performance hit from my 15" MBPr with a 512GB OEM SSD.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Well it has a 128gig SSD so whatever apps you use the most will run great. Otherwise it's just a standard 7200rpm performance.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
What if I run a Windows VM like, a lot? Will that gently caress with it's attempts to keep the move used files on the SSD?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

horse mans posted:

It was a tough call. I think at the end of the day I just like having everything in one place. No drives hanging off the machine, no NAS to maintain.

Aren't you going to make any backups? Those require some type of an external disk. (I know there are cloud solutions, but not easily for 3TB.) In any event, you can't have everything in one place unless you don't run backups, which is most definitely not a good idea.

While I'm not following any of your reasoning, I don't think selecting the fusion drive is the end of the world. One of the main reasons for me to go SSD-only in this configuration is the longer expected lifespan of SSDs and that there's no good way for me to replace the HDD when it fails after AppleCare expires.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Since I did a similar thing: Because I'm not feeling like having to find the correct type and having to deal with a different order. With this configuration, if anything happens, nothing can be blamed on my choice of memory.

I don't mind dealing with things coming from several different sources when I build gaming PCs.

With PCs, my focus is on price and performance, and I deal with inconveniences off all types and low reliability.
With Macs, I want convenience and reliability.

Mercurius posted:

:hfive:, I ordered basically the same thing except I opted for the 512gb SSD instead since I have a NAS.

Right, I'm just using SMB over ethernet externally, but might go for some Thunderbolt storage in the future. One reason for the big SSD is that I would be able to have the assets locally when I edit movies.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Nobody who edits seriously puts their OS and edit media on the same drive, SSD or not. And 1tb is not a lot of space for media anyways - editing is one of those use cases where having a Thunderbolt or USB3 raid array makes sense.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

1st AD posted:

Nobody who edits seriously puts their OS and edit media on the same drive, SSD or not. And 1tb is not a lot of space for media anyways - editing is one of those use cases where having a Thunderbolt or USB3 raid array makes sense.

I guess I'm not "editing seriously" then. Also, thank you for that patronizing info about the amount of disk space, this is totally my very first computer and I have no earthly idea how big my movies are.

I'll admit that I'm not a professional Hollywood movie editor and one use case for this machine is to edit whatever I filmed over the years. If this would be my job, I'd have bought a Mac Pro for it.

About having the OS on the same disk as the assets, I'll say that at least from what I can tell right now, there's not a lot of disk access going on when I'm not doing much. I could see how it's not a good idea on a machine with not a lot of memory that's swapping and loading applications all the time. I'd think the performance benefit of the SSD would outweigh the speed of the networked storage, even with the occasional read and write from other applications.

I've edited movies and other documents on laptops, guess that's also not "serious" because it was all on the same disk as the OS?

I very much understand what RAIDs are for, but I feel to see the huge benefit when the assets for a given project are maybe on the order of 20-50 GB.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Geekbench put some estimates up for Mac minis and state the obvious, quads are faster than duals for multithread tasks:
http://www.primatelabs.com/blog/2014/10/estimating-mac-mini-performance/

They give a likely explanation for the lack of new quads at least:

quote:

So why did Apple switch to dual-core processors in the "Late 2014" lineup? The only technical reason I can think of is that the Haswell dual-core processors use one socket (that is, the physical interface between the processor and the logic board) while the Haswell quad-core processors use different sockets:

[socket chart]

Apple would have to design and build two separate logic boards to accommodate both dual-core and quad-core processors. Other Macs use the same logic board across models, so I wouldn't expect Apple to make an exception for the Mac mini. Note that this wasn't an issue with the Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge processors, where both dual- and quad-core processors used the same socket.
Anyone have a clue if Broadwell is the same way?

1st AD posted:

Yeah the GPU's are expensive, but if I'm not mistaken the 4gb configuration offers similar performance to the base D300 configuration on the Mac Pro. Depends on whether or not Davinci, Red, etc. have optimized software for the R9's yet.
The R9 M295X? Apple says 3.5TF for its performance which puts it on par with what they say for the top of the line D700 in the Mac Pro. I read somewhere it's a Tonga core, which is used in the 285 (285X?) and FirePro 7100, which are in the same ballpark as the 280X...which is more or less what the D700 is, so it more or less lines up. Course the Mac Pro has two of them, but that only matters for compute and in Windows where it does CrossFire.

tl;dr The Mac Pro could use an update.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The one place where I think the benefit of the Fusion drive gets tamped down is if you want to bootcamp your computer or run a sizeable VM on it, since all of that stuff gets obligately put on the slower HDD.
Haven't people redone it for a separate Windows partition before using the rest for a Fusion Drive?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Some applications prefer a single non-SLI/Crossfire GPU to drive the display and the other(s) to do computation, so yeah the Mac Pro would have an advantage there but it looks like the iMac still has a ridiculous price/performance edge unless you need more than 4 physical cores.

I still feel like the Mac Pro has been in a weird place ever since i7 iMacs with beefy GPUs have been available, like for the vast majority of users the iMac will be the most cost effective option unless you're looking to build something that can do realtime 5k color grading sessions.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hello Spaceman posted:

Get BetterTouchTool and it'll let you assign functions to those buttons on your Microsoft mouse.

No dice, BTT doesn't see the button on the side. On the other hand, I remembered that Hot Corners are a thing and I'm using that now.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Has Apple published anywhere the max resolution of a second monitor connected up to a retina iMac? I'd have to think driving the 5k monitor would be a pretty hefty load on the video card already. I know it can't be another 5k monitor since that'd take DP1.3, but was thinking if I got one of hooking up my 30" Apple Display to it at 2560x1600.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

fordan posted:

Has Apple published anywhere the max resolution of a second monitor connected up to a retina iMac? I'd have to think driving the 5k monitor would be a pretty hefty load on the video card already. I know it can't be another 5k monitor since that'd take DP1.3, but was thinking if I got one of hooking up my 30" Apple Display to it at 2560x1600.
Only thing I could find on Apple's pages:

quote:

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 3840 by 2160 pixels on an external display
Support for extended desktop and video mirroring modes
If it can do that it should be able to do two 1440/1600p displays but since it doesn't specify it who knows, there might be some output limitation cause how it's all hooked up inside. But yeah your display should be fine at least, although you'll need a DP to dual link DVI adapter for that one iirc. Not sure if that stuff is fine now or if it still gives people problems.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

fordan posted:

Yes, here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5219, section 18.

You can connect two Thunderbolt displays (one if you connect a 60 Hz MST 4k display), so you should be good.

E: No mention about DP to Dual DVI or whatever, but if that generally works, it should also work on that machine.

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 20, 2014

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

flavor posted:

Yes, here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5219, section 18.

You can connect two Thunderbolt displays (one if you connect a 60 Hz MST 4k display), so you should be good.

E: No mention about DP to Dual DVI or whatever, but if that generally works, it should also works on that machine.
I'm curious to see how choppy it gets running 2x 1440p screens at the same time as the 5k display. I'll try it when mine shows up.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

lelandjs posted:

No dice, BTT doesn't see the button on the side. On the other hand, I remembered that Hot Corners are a thing and I'm using that now.

Oh :(

I only recommended it because that's what I use for my Microsoft mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

flavor posted:

Aren't you going to make any backups? Those require some type of an external disk. (I know there are cloud solutions, but not easily for 3TB.) In any event, you can't have everything in one place unless you don't run backups, which is most definitely not a good idea.

Backups requires a Time Capsule somewhere in my apartment that I plug in and then forget about. That's not really the same as a USB hard drive I need nearby if I ever want to listen to music, or an NAS I have to buy, fill with drives, configure, and maintain.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

For the same reason Flavor did: because I don't want to have to think about it.