Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Fister Roboto posted:

I actually thought he was voiced by Billy West when I first played it.

It would made the interactions with Wakka more hilarious in context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCROTEBUSTIN
Sep 2, 2008

"the asslicker" of fyad
9 was objectively the best game in the series prove me wrong

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
13 exists, bam.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Beef Waifu posted:

13 exists, bam.

gently caress you and your ironic posting.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What ironic posting?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Mister Adequate posted:

What's it like being objectively wrong to such an incredible extent?

So what you are saying is symmetry isn't cool. He's dressed like a literal clown.

I guess I can't talk about stupid outfits. This is my favorite FF character:

Everything about him.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 20, 2014

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Firstborn posted:

So what you are saying is symmetry isn't cool. He's dressed like a literal clown.

I guess I can't talk about stupid outfits. This is my favorite FF character:

Everything about him.

I don't think he should count, cause he's like one of the the least unlikeable character out of 17 games. Honestly, I thought that whole game did characters rather well. No idea what the story was about, but I liked the characters in it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Basch's outfit isn't too bad. It's nowhere near as good as some of the other designs in that game *coughjudgemagistersvaynevenatbalthiercidcough*, but it's a pretty inoffensive design. I'd say some of the more ridiculous designs come from like 10 and that subject's been kind of beaten to death.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Beef Waifu posted:

Basch's outfit isn't too bad. It's nowhere near as good as some of the other designs in that game *coughjudgemagistersvaynevenatbalthiercidcough*, but it's a pretty inoffensive design. I'd say some of the more ridiculous designs come from like 10 and that subject's been kind of beaten to death.

The judges straddled this fine line between 'badass awesome' and 'this is ridiculous' when you first see them, but then then they start talking and then they start fighting. And you realize they're just badasses and this is the armor that badasses wear in this game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I like Basch because I'm pretty sure he was modeled after Charlton Heston.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

When it comes to ridiculous FFXII character designs, there can be only one.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

When it comes to ridiculous FFXII character designs, there can be only one.

Don't know who that is, but reverse img search brought up Dona and Bart from FFX which I'm currently playing through.

It's literally triple x all over. Chest, triple X. Crotch, triple x. Arm, triple x. The dude and his torso, triple x. I bet if we had a better angle on his arms, triple x.

edit: her chest is quadruple x. Hmmm.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Leper Residue posted:

Don't know who that is, but reverse img search brought up Dona and Bart from FFX which I'm currently playing through.

It's literally triple x all over. Chest, triple X. Crotch, triple x. Arm, triple x. The dude and his torso, triple x. I bet if we had a better angle on his arms, triple x.

edit: her chest is quadruple x. Hmmm.

She's one of pink shirt pirate who's name I cannot remember's friends. Rekkas, or something? She has no real importance in XII, that art is from the sequel.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I wonder how many of the total FF fans actually know FF12 has a sequel.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hellioning posted:

She's one of pink shirt pirate who's name I cannot remember's friends. Rekkas, or something? She has no real importance in XII, that art is from the sequel.

Reddas, the final guest party member, voiced by Phil LaMarr. He had an awesome death scene.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
People don't seem to talk about Revenant Wings a lot beyond the fact that Vaan has a shirt. I dunno if that speaks for the quality of it or how few people actually bought and played it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Beef Waifu posted:

People don't seem to talk about Revenant Wings a lot beyond the fact that Vaan has a shirt. I dunno if that speaks for the quality of it or how few people actually bought and played it.

Eh, it's not bad. For a squad-based RTS on the DS it's fun enough. Better than that Mana game that preceded it, that's for sure.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

It's why I think Lindzei should have just been the final boss of the XIII Trilogy or whatever. It's his fault that all of XIII happened.

Pulse and Lindzei are just middlemen in Bhunivelze's silly plot to invade the underworld and re-murder his mom. They physically set the whole thing up, but (like everyone else in the series) they had no real agency in it. That's why it's appropriate that the only time they ever show up they take the form of a weapon.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

I do enjoy the concept of _____. It's just that it wasn't executed well.

FF13 in a nutshell

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Beef Waifu posted:

I legitimately like the game, if only because Basch got even more awesome and gets a fantastic quote back in Ivalice.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

FF in a nutshell

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So I was bored and started watching FF13-2.

What the gently caress. Why. There was a lovely mobile mini-game or something ala Chain of Memories, right to explain why it started like that.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
I know I played Revnant Wings but I'll be hosed if I can remember any of it

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Tae posted:

What the gently caress. Why. There was a lovely mobile mini-game or something ala Chain of Memories, right to explain why it started like that.

Kinda sorta nope. History just kinda changed, because Serah's the only one that remembers the FFXIII ending after Etro snatched her out of time.

At least they tried to explain LR with a DLC for FFXIII-2 where you fought Caius over and over and over until you finally leveled up enough to beat the poo poo out of him. Even halfassing a victory isn't enough, because the fight starts over if you don't 5-star him.

And then you got a cutscene. :downs:

Varance fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 20, 2014

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Why is the entire FFXII party blonde?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Francis posted:

Ivalice race = master race.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Francis posted:

Either Fran wasn't blonde or my memory is really bad

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
She's elf blonde

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Balthier wasn't blonde either.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Tae posted:

No, finding out what happened is what the game is about.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Beef Waifu posted:

I was a pretty big XII fan and I was stoked for a sequel until I discovered it was a weird RTS hybrid and handheld only. Meanwhile XIII, my least favorite, gets not one but two mostly traditional sequels on the same system. Cool, thanks Square!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Francis posted:

There's a minor Japanese perception that blond = foreigner and so they tend to default to hair color a lot when the characters are foreign/fantasy foreign.

DrNutt posted:

I was a pretty big XII fan and I was stoked for a sequel until I discovered it was a weird RTS hybrid and handheld only. Meanwhile XIII, my least favorite, gets not one but two mostly traditional sequels on the same system. Cool, thanks Square!

FFXII was unfortunately kind of a fizzle (by S-E standards, it still sold really well) and underperformed their expectations, plus it came out close enough to the end of the system's lifespan that a recycle-heavy sequel like FFX-2 or FFXIII-2 probably wasn't viable.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 20, 2014

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ImpAtom posted:

There's a minor Japanese perception that blond = foreigner and so they tend to default to hair color a lot when the characters are foreign/fantasy foreign.

That puts Tidus' hair colour in a whole new light, especially when you consider the only other blond party member (Rikku) is also 'foreign' to the main Spiran society.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I still really want a sequel to VIII. It's not like they can ruin it or anything.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.

NikkolasKing posted:

Orphan's Cradle was indeed a horrible dungeon and ruined my liking for XIII. it's weird, I hated Pulse, I hated Orphan's Cradle, but I loved the part in-between. Eden Under Siege was probably my favorite segment of XIII. Then Chapter 13 happened and I just stopped ever considering replaying the game.

See I think i figured out why I liked the ending, I was numb on painkillers. So thats the secret to Chapter 13.

Even then...the overly annoying mobs at the end were so loving annoying. "See that chest waaaaay over there? You know there is nothing in it, at this point in the game, that justifies it...but we both know you are going to get it...and I will respawn those bulshit mobs on the way back. gently caress you for playing."

Tae posted:

I wonder how many of the total FF fans actually know FF12 has a sequel.
The DS RTS? The story was mehhhh. It was a great idea though. RTS Final Fantasy. Boom. But what bugged me was the monster scaling. I don't research these things or pay too much attention until too late. I would have played the game from the start differently. The game does have some odd slowdown.

Favorabilis Solitud fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 20, 2014

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
People are starting to find dummied out content in XIII, even some stuff that had lines recorded, and text translated. Of course a lot of the models and whatnot were reused in other parts of XIII or its sequels. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjPtT6PoDBg

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Man remember when Lightning could supposedly manipulate gravity in FFXIII and the battle system heavily factored in how well you could manipulate gravity?

Then the stupid thing breaks at the beginning of the final game :sigh:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I completely forgot Lightning could manipulate gravity and create soft bubbles to land on until I replay XIII on PC, it's just such a forgettable thing despite the fact it just HAPPENS at the start.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I'm a little late to the ridiculous costume party but lets not forget this Square Enix gem:

Enough with the loving chains and belts you guys seriously.

Hoodie with no undershirt looks awkward, and what the heck is up with that dog collar?
Does Square have a (not-so)secret BDSM fetish? :ohdear:

Also after burning out on FFXIII (I knew I would) I went back to XII which is the last FF I haven't finished, after realizing that just about everything I hated about FFXIII and wanted done different was done the right way in XII.

I know a lot of people complained about XII's combat but it just may be my favorite in the whole series. Fight on the overworld like chrono trigger (why the gently caress aren't more RPGs like that?!?) so every little encounter doesn't bog you down with loading to a different screen, no random encounters, really cool original setting without being bonkers crazy, likable characters and decent voiceover...

Course I'm gonna get to that midpoint in the game where you just grind dungeons for hours before the plot picks up again and I'll probably end up abandoning it there like before. But so far I'm really enjoying this and wishing I'd paid it more attention when it first came out. I was busy with other games at the time...

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Beef Waifu posted:

I completely forgot Lightning could manipulate gravity and create soft bubbles to land on until I replay XIII on PC, it's just such a forgettable thing despite the fact it just HAPPENS at the start.

They include it in Dissidia as well, as her "bonus" when she enters Exmode; she takes no damage from being wall-rushed. It's worthless.