Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Dammit, Captain Marvel, stop trying to marry Hitler!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Cangelosi posted:

This is amazing.

My favorite part is that Captain Marvel let the whole ceremony finish.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

theflyingorc posted:

This is amazing.

My favorite part is that Captain Marvel let the whole ceremony finish.

Which makes him married to Hitler, the perfect plan!

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Kwyndig posted:

Which makes him married to Hitler, the perfect plan!

Well, I guess he's Captain Hitler for now, assuming he took his last name.

Meanwhile, Billy Batson is watching what's happening from wherever he goes when Shazam is in charge, growing more and more horrified.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Shazam dealt a crippling blow to the nazis by obtaining half of the reich in a messy divorce.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
He just really wants that widow's pension.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If he really wanted to mess with Hitler he should have turned back to Billy. Surprise, you married a little boy!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

theflyingorc posted:

Well, I guess he's Captain Hitler for now, assuming he took his last name.

Meanwhile, Billy Batson is watching what's happening from wherever he goes when Shazam is in charge, growing more and more horrified.

Billy Batson is Shazam. He's a 12(?) year old kid in a crazy Superman body.

-EDIT-
VVVVVVVV

"I guess I really put the 'hit' in 'Hitler'!"

*laugh track, freeze frame, roll credits*

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 19, 2014

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

muscles like this? posted:

If he really wanted to mess with Hitler he should have turned back to Billy. Surprise, you married a little boy!

I have to imagine the next page was him socking Hitler, leading into the opening to Police Squad!

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

muscles like this? posted:

This is almost literally the plot of a venture brothers episode, except Hitler is the good guy girl in that.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
More unsourced nonsense.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Any old fart worth his salt knows these two panels are from Tales of Suspense vol.1, issue #39 and it's from none other than "Iron Man Is Born!" pencilled by Don Heck, written by Stan Lee.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Found these on Imgur.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

The MSJ posted:

Found these on Imgur.

I don't know what the second one's about, but I really hope it's the natural response to that first cover, which is YOU HAD A TIME MACHINE AND DIDN'T FEEL LIKE PREVENTING MY PARENTS' MURDER, WHAT THE gently caress

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

"What do you mean 'How could I let it happen', Bruce? Our costumes look totally bitchin', I couldn't mess up the prospect of our team-ups"

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Has there ever been a story dealing with the idea that a hero like Booster Gold or someone could go back in time and save Bruce's parents, but Batman is so incredibly important that doing so fucks up a ton of stuff?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Cangelosi posted:

The old Thor wedding trick, works every time

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Who What Now posted:

Not in the original Fawcett stories. In those, Billy and Captain Marvel change places rather than Billy transforming into Cap.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

OldTennisCourt posted:

Has there ever been a story dealing with the idea that a hero like Booster Gold or someone could go back in time and save Bruce's parents, but Batman is so incredibly important that doing so fucks up a ton of stuff?
The Watchmen movie :suicide:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

OldTennisCourt posted:

I feel like somehow, if some time traveler were to create a bad future by saving Bruce's parents, he/she could go back further and stop Hitler, and the negative future that creates along with saving Bruce's parents make the future be completely fine.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I feel like that'd be a pretty strong concept for a DC style Age of Apocalypse event comic. Some well meaning hero thinks he'll help Bruce out by doing that and ends up creating an incredibly hosed up alternate timeline.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

OldTennisCourt posted:

I feel like that'd be a pretty strong concept for a DC style Age of Apocalypse event comic. Some well meaning hero thinks he'll help Bruce out by doing that and ends up creating an incredibly hosed up alternate timeline.

What if it was the Flash and he decided to save his mother?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

bobkatt013 posted:

What if it was the Flash and he decided to save his mother?

I'll amend that and say an event that ISN'T lovely then.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

OldTennisCourt posted:

That's kind of a big part of Johns' Booster run, where he tries to keep Barbara from getting shot and tries to save Ted Kord

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

OldTennisCourt posted:

That actually was a very early plot in Johns-written Booster Gold series. Booster decides he's going to go back and stop Barbara Gordon from being crippled, Rip tells him "no, too much stuff relies on that happening, you literally can't do that", Booster decides he's gonna try anyway. Joker gets the drop on him, beats him up, and goes and cripples Barbara anyway, so Booster's like "oh yeah" and goes back again and the Joker gets the drop on him and beats him up, and Booster keeps on repeating the process, and coincidences keep on contriving to have the Joker beat him up until Booster finally gives up.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

OldTennisCourt posted:

Loeb's Superman/Batman run had something like that. Time travelers messed with their origins in a way to help turn Superman and Batman into tyrants in the present. When they tried to go back in time and fix stuff by making sure everything happened the way it was supposed to, Batman lost his poo poo at the last second, beat down Joe Chill, shot him in the head and then vanished from existence. I think this led to a future where Ra's Al Ghul killed the Justice League or something.

There was an older story from maybe the early 80's (late 70's?) where Phantom Stranger brought Batman and Robin to another reality where they're a day from the Waynes getting shot. Robin wonders if they should let it happen because the world needs a hero like Batman, but Batman refuses to sit back. Instead, he shows up in time and beats up Joe Chill, getting his own feel-good redemption before Phantom Stranger sends him back home. Later on, we see that world's young Bruce studying hard and dedicating himself to getting into tip-top shape. He's going to become Batman, not out of vengeance, but out of inspiration for the mysterious stranger who saved his parents. I believe that issue is Mark Waid's favorite comic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Benito Cereno posted:

Not in the original Fawcett stories. In those, Billy and Captain Marvel change places rather than Billy transforming into Cap.

Untrue, actually. Billy and Marvel are at once the same person and different people in those, they don't change places. Billy thinks of Captain Marvel both as himself and as another person. Captain Marvel as his own distinct entity that exists alongside Billy is actually quite rare. The Jeff Smith comic is one of the few to really portray it that way.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Say Nothing posted:

More unsourced nonsense.

it took me along time to realize she was saying Clint.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ImpAtom posted:

Untrue, actually. Billy and Marvel are at once the same person and different people in those, they don't change places. Billy thinks of Captain Marvel both as himself and as another person. Captain Marvel as his own distinct entity that exists alongside Billy is actually quite rare. The Jeff Smith comic is one of the few to really portray it that way.
Yeah, I don't remember it ever being an issue that was brought up let alone specifically addressed in the early years. The medium at that point basically didn't care to dwell on 'how things worked' over just telling a fun story.

Billy/Marvel are generally separate beings only in more modern takes like Kingdom Come/Dark Knight Strikes Again when comics started being written by people more interested in exploring the duality of a boy who transforms into a super-powered man rather than simply using it as a vehicle to tell stories about [NOT]Superman having icecream with cops after foiling a burglary.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Gavok posted:

There was an older story from maybe the early 80's (late 70's?) where Phantom Stranger brought Batman and Robin to another reality where they're a day from the Waynes getting shot. Robin wonders if they should let it happen because the world needs a hero like Batman, but Batman refuses to sit back. Instead, he shows up in time and beats up Joe Chill, getting his own feel-good redemption before Phantom Stranger sends him back home. Later on, we see that world's young Bruce studying hard and dedicating himself to getting into tip-top shape. He's going to become Batman, not out of vengeance, but out of inspiration for the mysterious stranger who saved his parents. I believe that issue is Mark Waid's favorite comic.

Just hearing that is pretty great even if it's some what if/alternate dimension sort of deal :unsmith:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Skwirl posted:

it took me along time to realize she was saying Clint.
There's a reason why novice comics writers are told to minimize the use of "Clint", "flick", and "flicker" in their scripts.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Who What Now posted:

I see other people arguing about it - I thought that the two personalities at least weren't 1:1 the same person?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

I see other people arguing about it - I thought that the two personalities at least weren't 1:1 the same person?

They're not the 100% same person in any version. One of Marvel's powers is the Wisdom of Shazam and that pretty noticeably influences how he acts. Even in stories where he's straight-up written as Billy In Marvel Body, they make sure to emphasize that he'll make a different decision as Billy than he will as Marvel in certain cases.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

theflyingorc posted:

Billy Batson, when he's Billy Batson, doesn't have the wisdom of Solomon or the strength of Hercules or the something something of the rest of the letters, one of them is definitely Zeus.

The wisdom of Solomon thing is probably important for the difference. Captain Marvel marrying Hitler seems weird, but Solomon is most famous for trying to cut a baby in half to appease 2 mothers, which is cray cray in a modern context. Can you imagine that episode of The People's Court? The judge says "Oh you both want full custody, let's kill and dismember the child."

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Billy Batson, when he's Billy Batson, doesn't have the wisdom of Solomon or the strength of Hercules or the something something of the rest of the letters, one of them is definitely Zeus.

The wisdom of Solomon thing is probably important for the difference. Captain Marvel marrying Hitler seems weird, but Solomon is most famous for trying to cut a baby in half to appease 2 mothers, which is cray cray in a modern context. Can you imagine that episode of The People's Court? The judge says "Oh you both want full custody, let's kill and dismember the child."

He didn't actually want to kill the baby, it was a ruse to reveal the real mother. I think Judge Judy is probs the modern-day Solomon.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Skwirl posted:

The wisdom of Solomon thing is probably important for the difference. Captain Marvel marrying Hitler seems weird, but Solomon is most famous for trying to cut a baby in half to appease 2 mothers, which is cray cray in a modern context.

I am actually astonished at how someone could miss the point of the parable so completely.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Kramjacks posted:

He didn't actually want to kill the baby, it was a ruse to reveal the real mother. I think Judge Judy is probs the modern-day Solomon.

I never really understood why the fake mother was okay with that, though. What did she want with half a baby?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

PJOmega posted:

I am actually astonished at how someone could miss the point of the parable so completely.

I know the point of the loving parable. I can't imagine the anyone falling for it who wouldn't have obviously been the worst custodial parent before it reached threatening the death of a child and I was making a joke.
Edit:

Eeevil posted:

I never really understood why the fake mother was okay with that, though. What did she want with half a baby?
Exactly.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Eeevil posted:

Is having half a baby is still better than not having a baby in the first place?

The point was probably to make Solomon look like a smartypants and not any actual lesson, like "See this clever thing Solomon does, he's so smart and that fake mom is so dumb I can't believe she fell for it."

Which can be the only reason we need sometimes, which brings us back to marrying Hitler just to gently caress with him. How often has Captain America caused Hitler EMOTIONAL Trauma huh?... No, really, I want to know this.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Oct 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Eeevil posted:

There's good eating on one of those things.

• Locked thread