Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I quite liked that episode. It was just fun. What was he saying just at the end when he said "I'm the Doctor, and I name you [something]!"? I couldn't quite hear it.

The only part where the effects really fell through for me were when they first went into the 3D world and turned into a Wallmaster, but the concept was fun. They should get Mathieson to come back to write if he's available; both of his were good monster-of-the-week episodes. I like that literally all of the sympathy in the writing went to the graffiti kid and the episode has none to spare for the "Criminals Get What They Deserve!" workmaster. Clara was good, Twelve's crisis was much more about him and much less about being an rear end in a top hat to other people. I don't like the plot about her lying to Danny if only because it feels like it gels awkwardly with the first half of the season, but it would be fine if it had grown organically, so I'm trying just to forget about it.

The Missy plotline will not resolve well, there's just no way that it will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Bicyclops posted:

I quite liked that episode. It was just fun. What was he saying just at the end when he said "I'm the Doctor, and I name you [something]!"? I couldn't quite hear it.

The Boneless.

This is why I watch everything with subtitles on.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I AM THE DOCTOR

ANDI NAME YOU

THE BONEITIS!

[horrible cracking noises]

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

I don't know. I felt like the monsters in this show were corny, and very kids show in the way some episodes (Fear Her, that one dollhouse episode, etc) are. Nice CGI work on the people doing the zombie walk, though. It ultimately didn't matter because the character drama was written so well that it picked up the episode and ran with it.

Which is nice, because after a while, even someone who loved "Blink" gets tired of the movement/eyesight gimmick aliens that are now Moff's calling cards getting all the limelight.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bicyclops posted:

The Missy plotline will not resolve well, there's just no way that it will.

It turns out River regenerated after all :can:.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

I don't know. I felt like the monsters in this show were corny, and very kids show in the way some episodes (Fear Her, that one dollhouse episode, etc) are. Nice CGI work on the people doing the zombie walk, though. It ultimately didn't matter because the character drama was written so well that it picked up the episode and ran with it.

I didn't care for the monsters myself, though I thought taking people apart and sticking them on walls was pretty cool (everyone spotted that the wall was human skin instead of a desert as soon as they walked in the room, right?). Beyond that they were just monster of the week fodder for me. But Clara playing the Doctor and wacky miniature TARDIS hijinks were what really made this episode.

Also, they were really stupid to not remember that they hadn't flattened a door there. :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I had to cut down the gif for time, but I liked in that giant hand scene that for quite awhile as they're chatting you can see it slowly growing out of the roof before it launches itself at the community worker.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I liked both of those episodes he wrote, but I think I missed something. Did The Doctor just magic wand away the bad guys at the end or was that set up and I just missed it?

Imagine that with any other Who enemy. I name you THE DALEKS! Awkward standing about and then blam dead from Dalek beams.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I liked both of those episodes he wrote, but I think I missed something. Did The Doctor just magic wand away the bad guys at the end or was that set up and I just missed it?

He said he was pretty sure he could banish them (see the 2DIS as a small-scale version), he just didn't have the power to pull it off because they were draining the TARDIS. And then it got recharged by their own power :unsmigghh:.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

DoctorWhat posted:

There was that rear end in a top hat in Voyage of the Damned who survived, wasn't there? Or have I got things confused?

Voyage Of The Dammed even had the same comment addressed to the fourth wall about how he's not who you'd have picked to survive, is he?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Whatever they were, they must have been pretty smart. Imagine trying to project yourself into an extra dimension and actually do poo poo in it.

Their alien-ness could've been played up a bit more, but they're a really neat concept, and I like that from the available evidence they seem to have been a bunch of two dimensional Space Mengeles.

Stupid name though, Doctor.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Jerusalem posted:

I had to cut down the gif for time, but I liked in that giant hand scene that for quite awhile as they're chatting you can see it slowly growing out of the roof before it launches itself at the community worker.

When I saw that, I thought it was a 2D shadow growing on the wall, so I was tensing for something bad to happen. Even so, I still jumped when that turned out to be their first 3D assault. With the monsters being established as being disturbing and powerful but limited by their lack of a third dimension, them suddenly upping the ante by adding a third made for an excellent "poo poo just got real" moment.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Mr Beens posted:

Somethign I noticed this episode is that Capaldi has this really wierd way of moving when going anything above walking - I don't know if it is intentional or just the way that Capaldi naturally moves. I think it looks great.

It's like he's trying to run in a dignified manner somehow by maintaining proper posture

http://youtu.be/DiaGjcxqJK0

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Imagine that with any other Who enemy. I name you THE DALEKS! Awkward standing about and then blam dead from Dalek beams.

I don't have to imagine that, it happened in Matt Smiths last episode and it loving sucked.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Lynda Bellingham has sadly passed. :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29685903

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Oh poo poo, Inquisitor Darkel!

:(

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

SubCrid TC posted:

It's like he's trying to run in a dignified manner somehow by maintaining proper posture

http://youtu.be/DiaGjcxqJK0

I don't know why I get this feeling, but it's kind of vaguely Mr. Bean-esque to me.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

:( But she wanted to make it to Christmas...

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

An Ounce of Gold posted:

The Doctor did tell Clara that he'd be able to beat them if he got his power back. At that point the problem in the episode became "how do we get dimensional energy for The Doctor so he can win" (and this was resolved in quite a cool way) rather than "how do we work out how to send them back".

They could have given a bit more explanation, but considering that the Boneless appeared to be operating on the TARDIS's dimensional energy it's perhaps not so surprising that manipulating the same energy could banish them.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Man, I was just rewatching Turn Left and ended up watching the series 4 two-parter ending. I cannot wait to see what happens when Oxx/Toxx get to that two-parter, it's peak RTD and I kind of miss this fun.

edit: Although I suspect it may get rated down based purely on that kiss between Rose and metacrisis Doctor.

edit2: But the Donna ending will probably make him forget all about that. Goodbye Donna, best companion.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 20, 2014

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The Doctor did tell Clara that he'd be able to beat them if he got his power back. At that point the problem in the episode became "how do we get dimensional energy for The Doctor so he can win" (and this was resolved in quite a cool way) rather than "how do we work out how to send them back".

They could have given a bit more explanation, but considering that the Boneless appeared to be operating on the TARDIS's dimensional energy it's perhaps not so surprising that manipulating the same energy could banish them.

If there's any consistent theme with the last two episodes, it was that the Doctor could solve this really easily, the issue is getting him into the position to do so. We'd probably need to get the guy to write more stories to be sure (which we should do anyway), but I could see that being a common trend for the stories he'd write, which could be kind of grating if it happened more.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I think AVClub needs to settle their asses down, 'cause they've given only a single episode of Doctor Who a C grade or lower in the last 5 seasons.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Cleretic posted:

If there's any consistent theme with the last two episodes, it was that the Doctor could solve this really easily, the issue is getting him into the position to do so. We'd probably need to get the guy to write more stories to be sure (which we should do anyway), but I could see that being a common trend for the stories he'd write, which could be kind of grating if it happened more.

Well according to his own blog entries he was basically handed the scenario for Mummy on the Orient Express and told to fill in the gaps - in that the location and monster were already decided. He set things up as they played out because a monster only the dying could see was the best way he could think of to explain it managing to hide on an otherwise isolated train given the cramped space and packed conditions. Yea, he still decided to make it so that the Doctor could finish it as soon as he found him, but to be fair he did spend the first half setting up the monster and scenario and the second half of the episode collecting data on the monster and investigating it before finishing things off. The Doctor had to be able to finish it quickly in such a scenario to give the basic time to set up the unusual circumstances things were taking place in along with giving Clara time to advance her character a bit and so on.

Besides which, a 900 odd year old time traveler from one of the most advanced species in the galaxy should be pretty well equipped mentally to take on most tasks. It's like Superman in a way. He can end most threats as soon as he sees them, the task is to make him struggle in other ways.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

This was probably the episode's one weak point to me. The explanation makes sense, but it was way too easy to miss. It reminds me of how The Power of Three was dragged down by its weak, "wave the magic wand" ending. Thankfully, I don't think it hurt this episode nearly as much though.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
When the Doctor was talking about all the various types of communication he's come across before, I was kind of hoping for a Curse of Fatal Death reference, oh well.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Had a blast watching last week's episode and this week's back to back at a friend's house. What was really great is that my friend was getting perturbed over 12's detachment and said right before the end that he misses the speeches that 10 and 11 used to do. Then the loving Doctor shows up, and loving gives a brilliant speech and basically says begone monster.

My favorite thing about the episode was the Doctor's willingness to give these new creatures every chance in the world to prove themselves to be good. And then he's all like, OK fuckers, you want to be monsters? Well guess what? I'm the biggest loving monster hunter in the universe.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

For me The Doctor's Wife is still the best episode of his time in charge.

This demigod knows what's up.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Dont think its been mentioned in the thread yet, but I might have missed it.

Mark Gattis is on the most recent Richard Herring Leicester Square Theatre Podcast (RHLSTP). Haven't got round to listen to it, but doctor who will surely come up, and who hasn't wondered if Gattis has tried to suck his own cock?

http://www.comedy.co.uk/podcasts/richard_herring_lst_podcast/

quote:

Richard is still reeling from the lurgy he had in last week's show and his guest is also not very well, it's Mark Gatiss from off of The League of Gentlemen and Fear of Fanny. Inevitably there is a lot of discussion about obscure 1970s TV and Tim from The Office being in Sherlock and you'll find out which Doctor Who monster Mark would most like to have sex with. But other questions include: How did Mark prepare for the role that made him famous, the voice of Greg Evigan on TMWRNJ? What characters DIDN'T make it into The League of Gentlemen? What is the biggest fossil that he has ever discovered? Should Rich buy a metal detector? And there's a terrifying real-life ghost story, and more on conspiracy theories. It's gentle and largely dignified, as one would expect from two middle-aged men with

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Ben Soosneb posted:

Dont think its been mentioned in the thread yet, but I might have missed it.

Mark Gattis is on the most recent Richard Herring Leicester Square Theatre Podcast (RHLSTP). Haven't got round to listen to it, but doctor who will surely come up, and who hasn't wondered if Gattis has tried to suck his own cock?

http://www.comedy.co.uk/podcasts/richard_herring_lst_podcast/

There is some Who chat, but not a ton. Well worth a listen anyway as Gattis is always fun and as he's worked with Herring before it doesn't take much effort to get a decent conversation flowing. Plus Herring has retired the old emergency questions so you'll never know if Gattis has tried to suck his own cock. Nor whether he'd prefer a hand made of ham or a nipple that dispenses talc. He DOES ask it because the crowd really seem to hate his new emergency questions.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Doctor's Wife is really good, but the Eleventh Hour is pretty much as good in my opinion.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Prison Warden posted:

When the Doctor was talking about all the various types of communication he's come across before, I was kind of hoping for a Curse of Fatal Death reference, oh well.

Nice to know I wasn't the only one disappointed by this :sigh:.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

This episode was the best one for ages, really good stuff.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Senor Tron posted:

Man, I was just rewatching Turn Left and ended up watching the series 4 two-parter ending. I cannot wait to see what happens when Oxx/Toxx get to that two-parter, it's peak RTD and I kind of miss this fun.

This is going to be controversial, but I feel the two-parter's giant cast is part of the reason The End Of Time feels like a load of crap to so many people.

I kind of wish they had written Donna an ending without also bringing back basically everyone, as all the cameos and goodbyes are a bit empty after everyone went on a great big adventure just a whole bunch of specials ago.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

One Swell Foop posted:

Great review J. I have to disagree on the fuckwad's survival though - as I commented after the last episode I like it when there are non-essential loose ends left loose at the end of an episode of Who. Barely getting away with saving the universe should leave a loose end here and there.

His punsihmemt was that he was the only survivor who Clara refused to hug.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Okay, I didn't post this after the previous episode, but twice is interesting. Undead soldier, finally allowed to rest, salutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz6kD-XJ9pA&t=88s

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
You can now own your very own TARDIS siege mode replica:

http://www.rubbertoereplicas.com/#!product/prd1/3049202281/tardis-%27seige-mode%27-cube

Also amusingly the BBC America airing of Flatline had Danny saying "What's up bitch?" to Clara in the Closed Captioning when he first called, rather than the "I've got our bench" line. Ha.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Teek posted:

Also amusingly the BBC America airing of Flatline had Danny saying "What's up bitch?" to Clara in the Closed Captioning when he first called, rather than the "I've got our bench" line. Ha.

They never should've fired Marcelo.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
In other n-DOO, DOO DOO DOO-ews, I've been re-DOO, DOO DOO DOO-listening to some Eighth Doctor DOO, DOO DOO DOO audios, and got to Something Inside.

The incidental music is teeth DOO, DOO DOO DOO grindingly repetitive, intrusive and irritating. It's DOO, DOO DOO easily the worst part of a totally mediocre DOO, DOO DOO DOO audio.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

For fifty pounds :stare:

I hope if you can find a way to conduct enough energy into it, it becomes an actual time machine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Bicyclops posted:

For fifty pounds :stare:

I hope if you can find a way to conduct enough energy into it, it becomes an actual time machine!

You'd need an awful lot of energy to achieve time travel. I think there's a specific number but it's not coming to me...

• Locked thread