Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Paul MaudDib posted:

Can I ask you and MrBlandAverage how you're both doing your agitation?

When I'm trying to be gentle I usually pick the tank straight up about an inch, tilt it about 15 degrees, then gently swirl the base so it makes a cone shape. I dunno how well that will work with a double-reel setup though.

I pick the tank up and do a very slow complete inversion, if you feel the liquid surge it's too fats for me. Generally 5 inversion take 30-45 secs when I do them. This is only with developer, fix and wash get shaken like the patterson tank owes me money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Cross post from the landscape thread...

Sutherland Station by garbutto7vxg1, on Flickr

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Bit of a stretch but do any Vic dorkroomers know Dean the Razzle guy? Is he ok? Haven't heard from him in a few months...

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I remember hearing somewhere that he wasn't well, possibly the big C, I really hope I'm wrong :smith:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Jurong West by alkanphel, on Flickr

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Spedman posted:

I remember hearing somewhere that he wasn't well, possibly the big C, I really hope I'm wrong :smith:

I don't think you're wrong.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Here's some 8x10 x-ray film, blue sensitive, the hangers jumped around when processing so they're a little uneven. A little disappointed with how they came out, but happy for the first field test of my DIY camera:

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Brittni by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

I did a portrait.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Oct 18, 2014

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

:swoon: every time I want to stop shooting film, I see pictures like this

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Helicity posted:

:swoon: every time I want to stop shooting film, I see pictures like this

My first ever batch of slide film finally developed (was sitting in the fridge for like 18 months). I'm going to sell everything I own and buy more velvia.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Sludge Tank posted:

My first ever batch of slide film finally developed (was sitting in the fridge for like 18 months). I'm going to sell everything I own and buy more velvia.
I've got some Velvia 100F sitting in my freezer that expires next month and isn't getting shot with any urgency, if you're interested. Happy to trade for some 4x5 or other roll film. [edit: not mentioning how much I've got because I want to stay on the right side of the rules thread, if there's any interest I'm happy to take this to the buy/sell thread and post pics, etc.

rohan fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 19, 2014

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Brittni by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

I did a portrait.

Bae caught me poopin'.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

http://vimeo.com/m/108883478

Is this you guys?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I wish I had a darkroom like that, makes me wish I was independently wealthy and be able to do that all the time.

Cheers for sharing.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

An attempt to try out LF portraiture in the studio. Was harder to do low-key lighting cos I would get blown highlights easily, this one was the only decent salvageable shot.

Valerie 3 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Nice! What kind of exposure comp did you need for that shot? I've never had much luck with Acros and red filters.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I use pretty much 2 1/3 or 2 1/2 stops with the red 25. Sometimes it comes out still too bright so might lean towards 2 2/3 or 3 stops in future down south.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Love the mood in that shot. Are the highlights on the right side blown though?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Yeah only just, which is a bit of a buzzkill.

I'm working on it, hopefully I do a bit better this season.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Sludge Tank posted:

Yeah only just, which is a bit of a buzzkill.

I'm working on it, hopefully I do a bit better this season.

Yeah, fantastic shot, but the highlights are killing it for me.

Reminds me a bit of Sebastiao Salgados work.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Putrid Grin posted:

Reminds me a bit of Sebastiao Salgados work.

I don't know how I feel about that :smith:

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Sludge Tank posted:

I don't know how I feel about that :smith:

It was meant as a compliment, but take it as you will. It might be that last time I saw a badass picture of an iceberg was in his book "Genesis".

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Ah, just looked up his name and saw a whole heap of HDR. I Mustn't have seen the best examples.

I feel like I'm circling this "tier" of ability or something like I can't quite "go up" or get better. Like 2 steps forward, 1.5 steps back but it's been going on for so long now. I know you guys kind of rip on me a bit because i'm so loving clumsy but This feeling of stagnant mediocrity I keep keep getting from my photos is just getting to me. Don't want to give up but I feel like i'll never please myself or take photo's i'm ever truly happy with. Just venting my frustrations pls ignore. :emo:

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Oct 20, 2014

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Sludge Tank posted:

Ah, just looked up his name and saw a whole heap of HDR. I Mustn't have seen the best examples.

I feel like I'm circling this "tier" of ability or something like I can't quite "go up" or get better. Like 2 steps forward, 1.5 steps back but it's been going on for so long now. I know you guys kind of rip on me a bit because i'm so loving clumsy but This feeling of stagnant mediocrity I keep keep getting from my photos is just getting to me. Don't want to give up but I feel like i'll never please myself or take photo's i'm ever truly happy with. Just venting my frustrations pls ignore. :emo:

Good. People that are happy with all their work all the time never improve. Spent more time looking at art in museums and stuff. Another thing that helped me was to start working in "projects". I make an outline, brainstorm on ideas and set goals. It really helped me move from a photographer of opportunity to intentionally making stuff that doesn't completely suck.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Sludge Tank posted:

gently caress my whole life is a constant repetition of "hey, wow, I think I just got better at something" quickly followed by "oh wait, I still suck horribly." I think most people who actually strive for more out of anything will look at their work and struggle to see past the flaws. It's good. It's cripplingly bad for the self esteem, but it's good.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
We don't need self esteem we have art.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

That guy is really cool. Extremely jealous of that darkroom.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Echoing 8th-snype, go to some galleries, buy some books, find yourself some heroes and figure out why what they do resonates with you. If your only contemporaries are on flickr, you're setting a very low bar for yourself.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
e: I just watched that video above and decided to stop moaning.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 20, 2014

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

I think a project is a really good idea. I'm sick of being a 'photographer of opportunity' because it's so easy to get in a rut and keep taking pictures of the same loving things in the same loving places.

One idea I'm going to steal from somewhere else is planning out trips on Google Maps and street view. It feels as if I never have enough dedicated time for photography and, especially when shooting the larger formats, I really need to cut down the amount of time I spend trying to find good shots.

(At this point I'd just be really happy if my photos were poo poo because of dull composition and subject matter, rather than 'oh hey you forgot you were shooting 100-speed film and you can't use spirit levels for poo poo'.)

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

alkanphel posted:

An attempt to try out LF portraiture in the studio. Was harder to do low-key lighting cos I would get blown highlights easily, this one was the only decent salvageable shot.

Valerie 3 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Am I the only one seeing really bad blocking up in the shadows in the top right? I get that in some of my MF scans and it bugs the crap out of me...

fakeedit: actually around all of the really dark areas.

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
open by PC-P, on Flickr

robbery by PC-P, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Shellman posted:

Am I the only one seeing really bad blocking up in the shadows in the top right? I get that in some of my MF scans and it bugs the crap out of me...

fakeedit: actually around all of the really dark areas.

Most of the shadows are pure black, zero information. Provia didn't have the dynamic range for that kind of low key lighting and I probably didn't light it properly as well.

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

I'm considering picking picked up a Bronica RF645 with the 65mm lens and RF20 flash. Time to start burning large piles of money on 120 film.

Breadnought fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Oct 21, 2014

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
boxy by PC-P, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Not a bad photo, but did it need to be posted in four separate threads at once?

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009

MrBlandAverage posted:

yep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MrBlandAverage posted:

At least he did not post it in the BEST thread.

• Locked thread