Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
This is what you call "out of your element?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I watched some RLM, mostly Half-in-the-Bag stuff. I kinda liked it.

Then I saw a RLM video I didn't like. You know what I did? I clicked the little "X" in the corner, and then I went and did something productive with my life.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.
Hey, I'm not about to pretend like I'm a productive member of society, but can we not pull the "don't like it don't watch it" or "don't discuss internet critics in the internet critic discussion thread" cards for the millionth time. Believe it or not, I (and most others probably) don't think any less of Rich, Jack or RLM as a whole because they made a disagreeable video, because you can criticize people's work without actually hating the people or the work!

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Moartoast posted:

Hey, I'm not about to pretend like I'm a productive member of society, but can we not pull the "don't like it don't watch it" or "don't discuss internet critics in the internet critic discussion thread" cards for the millionth time. Believe it or not, I (and most others probably) don't think any less of Rich, Jack or RLM as a whole because they made a disagreeable video, because you can criticize people's work without actually hating the people or the work!

Agreed. And I suppose it's odd. I guess it doesn't bother me that much when Rich and Jack may be wrong about something since I sorta see them more as some older guys just playing games and Pre Rec sort of being a B-show behind Half in the Bag and BotW. If they miss something they're not trying to be hard hitting games journalists or screaming for 25 minutes about why Mega Man X is the holy grail of videogames.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sometimes it sucks when people you think are pretty cool poo poo all over something you like and call it the death of an artform.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Now ya'll know how I feel about the Plinkett Star Wars videos (which are funny but dead wrong)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Not really, because those movies are kind of poo poo. :D

Here's the thing though, if Rich and Jack broke down Alien Isolation like the Plinkett reviews, while I may not agree, I might go "Huh. Alright." but instead they were grossly wrong about things, and didn't really do much other than whine for 20 minutes about things they have a supreme bias toward. (AAA games, horror games, and Alien(rich prefers Aliens

The reason why Mike and Jay started Half in the Bag was to take a different look at Hollywood movies, and break them down on why they work, and why they don't. And while it's fun to see them go on a silly tirade, I much prefer when they objectively look at a piece, breaking it down to it's core. See their Transformers 3 review, VS Pain and Gain. While T3 had a silly gimmick, they still broke down the film in an interesting why. While for Pain and Gain their whole review was "Goddamn, Michael Bay loving succckkkkkssss" and it was really boring. Like the Alien Iso review.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Oct 20, 2014

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

The thing about movies is that they aren't objective, though. You cannot measure them. Attempting to measure any movie other than the ones you use to form this objective analysis technique is invariably going to result in them doing poorly. Even the Plinkett reviews admit this when they make allowances for a very specific list of directors who are allowed to not use the formula they laid out. And since George Lucas is not on the list, and since the previous Star Wars movies weren't like this at all, they are 'bad' in some clear way.

It's the same principle as with Isolation's treatment. It's a really good game. Seriously it's awesome. But if you've played a lot of games and therefore 'know' what makes them 'good' (good enough to make a webseries sharing your opinions about it!), it won't measure up because nothing is quite like it. It's barely a video game. It's the death of the medium. It doesn't make sense. There isn't enough game, but also there are too many minigames. Et cetera.

Even if there was an objective way of measuring films, games, or art in general, there's a second problem - objective to who? Judging just by the sheer number of untrue statements Rich and Jack make about the game, people's experiences of the game can wildly differ from the game itself. So it's impossible for a game to conclusively meet those standards.

Pre-Rec is a really entertaining show even though I don't agree with them at all, much like the Plinkett reviews. They're both open and clear enough about why they don't like something that it's tremendously informative anyway.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I know it was mentioned previously but Spoony is really gunning to get on Jimmy Fallon which is just :lol:. http://spoonyexperiment.com/game-reviews/dig-the-black-hole-all-the-way-to-the-tonight-show/#disqus_thread

Amusingly if you look at the top comments two of them are fairly critical. One comments that he's in no way cut out to appear on real, national TV and the other is about how much he's getting through Paetron and he's really shown not much for it so far.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

And wow, he gets 5,000 bucks per month via Patreon. Good for him and all, though I'm not so sure that was a sound investment on his fans' part.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

His fans are probably the craziest of all the people affiliated with or previously involved with TGWTG.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

FlamingLiberal posted:

His fans are probably the craziest of all the people affiliated with or previously involved with TGWTG.

It's kind of true. brad's fans got some crazies but he makes fun of them all the time to the point that the comments section is about as mush as a character as twilight girl or angry jake. spoony fans where giving death threats to when he did a crossover with anyone who is not linkara or brad.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I've actually seen a couple fans comment on the lack of videos for the money he's getting and they get shouted down and called whiners.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
The new Brows Held High ('Blue') is incredible. Kyle, you're a glorious shining diamond.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

OldTennisCourt posted:

I've actually seen a couple fans comment on the lack of videos for the money he's getting and they get shouted down and called whiners.

Well, let's be fair, those people should have known his output wouldn't change with Patreon. He puts out content so infrequently and has shown no sign of changing - even before he put his Patreon up - so they should have used a better judgement when deciding to contribute. All they can do is discontinue their support for him until he changes (and lets be honest, he's not going to). It's still no excuse on his part but I'm not sure what people expected from him.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I laughed a bitter laugh when I first saw Spoony's Patreon paid out monthly as opposed to per video.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think we saw that coming.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Cyron posted:

It's kind of true. brad's fans got some crazies but he makes fun of them all the time to the point that the comments section is about as mush as a character as twilight girl or angry jake. spoony fans where giving death threats to when he did a crossover with anyone who is not linkara or brad.
I still remember that Midnight Screening vlog where Brad read my comment from the Bullet to the Head review about how the city's name in the movie was the nickname for New Orleans and Dave immediately responded with a "gently caress you" and Brad was defending me for a bit since I wrote that whole comment in a "I don't want to be that guy" kind of way. That was surreal :allears:

Judging by twitter I want to see what Lordkat's plan is to "destroy Channel Awesome" man is he bitter.

Also I'm really liking Linkara's horror comic videos, it's become also as great as Jame's monstermadness, albeit less informative on the history of horror comics, but still lot of good material to learn.

CelticPredator posted:

The reason why Mike and Jay started Half in the Bag was to take a different look at Hollywood movies, and break them down on why they work, and why they don't. And while it's fun to see them go on a silly tirade, I much prefer when they objectively look at a piece, breaking it down to it's core. See their Transformers 3 review, VS Pain and Gain. While T3 had a silly gimmick, they still broke down the film in an interesting why. While for Pain and Gain their whole review was "Goddamn, Michael Bay loving succckkkkkssss" and it was really boring. Like the Alien Iso review.
Yeah, though this year they have been good on comic book properties except for Amazing Spiderman 2 which no one really liked

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

achillesforever6 posted:

I still remember that Midnight Screening vlog where Brad read my comment from the Bullet to the Head review about how the city's name in the movie was the nickname for New Orleans and Dave immediately responded with a "gently caress you" and Brad was defending me for a bit since I wrote that whole comment in a "I don't want to be that guy" kind of way. That was surreal :allears:

My moment of glory was Josh reading the comment I made in this thread. :allears:

achillesforever6 posted:

Judging by twitter I want to see what Lordkat's plan is to "destroy Channel Awesome" man is he bitter.

Oh Christ. I don't want to ask but what the hell happened with LK now? I used to like the guy quite a bit but then there was him stepping WAY too far over the line during Spoonygate and the poo poo that happened at a con one time and egh.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

achillesforever6 posted:

Also I'm really liking Linkara's horror comic videos, it's become also as great as Jame's monstermadness, albeit less informative on the history of horror comics, but still lot of good material to learn.

Yeah, though this year they have been good on comic book properties except for Amazing Spiderman 2 which no one really liked

Really? what a loser, the amazing atheist was far less bitter then him now and that is saying alot.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Cyron posted:

Really? what a loser, the amazing atheist was far less bitter then him now and that is saying alot.

Ugh I still can't help but feel bad for Lordkat. The signs were always there but it really wasn't until his breakdown in the LP Sandcastle that I realized he is going to completely destroy himself if he doesn't get his anger issues under control. Please get help Lordkat. :smith:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

dijon du jour posted:

Ugh I still can't help but feel bad for Lordkat. The signs were always there but it really wasn't until his breakdown in the LP Sandcastle that I realized he is going to completely destroy himself if he doesn't get his anger issues under control. :smith:

Whatever sympathies I had for him went out the window when he took advantage of that drunk girl during one of his streams and got her to take her top off.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Cyron posted:

He got mad at Todd for the aforementioned JewWario tweet (even though Todd apologized for it) and ironically thinks all the CA guys are egotistical.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

achillesforever6 posted:

He got mad at Todd for the aforementioned JewWario tweet (even though Todd apologized for it) and ironically thinks all the CA guys are egotistical.

Really, he is one not to call others egotistical.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

LordKat is a shitstain, who deserves everything bad that's happened to him.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Jimbot posted:

Whatever sympathies I had for him went out the window when he took advantage of that drunk girl during one of his streams and got her to take her top off.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck I hadn't heard about that one. This is separate from the convention incident?

So not only is Lordkat a rageoholic but also a repeat sexual offender. loving pleasant. :cripes:

e: Maybe it's about time I realize any sympathies I have for him are just residual feelings from enjoying Until We Win and understand that maybe he's just a massive, unrepentant prick. :sigh:

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 20, 2014

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

dijon du jour posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck I hadn't heard about that one. This is separate from the convention incident?

So not only is Lordkat a rageoholic but also a repeat sexual offender. loving pleasant. :cripes:

e: Maybe it's about time I realize any sympathies I have for him are just residual feelings from enjoying Until We Win and understand that maybe he's just a massive, unrepentant prick. :sigh:

No, I think it's the same incident Diamanda Hagan wrote about, if that's what you mean by "convention (MAGfest) incident".

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

dijon du jour posted:

Ugh I still can't help but feel bad for Lordkat. The signs were always there but it really wasn't until his breakdown in the LP Sandcastle that I realized he is going to completely destroy himself if he doesn't get his anger issues under control. Please get help Lordkat. :smith:

LordKat posted and had a breakdown here?

Ryuga Death fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 21, 2014

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Ryuga Death posted:

LordKat posted had a breakdown here?

from what i understand He was doing a let's play on the forum, people ask him to tone down on the rape jokes and he got mad and left.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Ryuga Death posted:

LordKat posted had a breakdown here?

It was a while ago but basically one day LK popped up in the Sandcastle with a new video and plans to reboot UWW on the LP subforum. Replies were overwhelmingly positive (apparently there are a lot of old UWW fans in the castle) except for one thing everyone agreed on, the video would be better without the rape jokes. (Several times in the video he made jokes that amounted to "such and such attack will completely rape you", it was dumb and not particularly funny). LK responded with a post explaining why he should be allowed to make rape jokes, to which the response was "You have the ability to make as many rape jokes as you want, but people here will enjoy your videos more if you don't make them." LK then vanished and someone found out later he had gone to twitter complaining about how SA had rejected him and had been taken over by political-correctness nazis.

TL:DR: Lordkat cannot handle any kind of criticism ever.

Jsor posted:

No, I think it's the same incident Diamanda Hagan wrote about, if that's what you mean by "convention (MAGfest) incident".

Ah, okay. I hadn't read a full write-up of the incident and assumed "on stream" meant "during one of LordKat's personal streams". I kind of wish I had read that write-up though 'cause:

Diamanda posted:

Then I get home from Magfest and am linked to LordKats post-Magfest stream where he decided that I started the rumour and insults me for looking disgusting in the facepaint (Seeing as portly New Yorkers are who I aspire to turn-on I shall be changing my look forthwith).

drat. :iceburn:

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Cyron posted:

The amazing atheist was far less bitter then him now and that is saying alot.

The Amazing Atheist benefited from being an orator that got along with incredibly, INCREDIBLY huge people like Trenchf00t and Brock Baker, major names in their own areas. He's also connected to movements that have been growing for a good while, and if suddenly became a persona non grata in the US, all he has to do is change his act a lil bit and search another avenue in another country.
He is a major name, for better or for worse, and is a bigger figure than any Channel Awesome, former or current, member will ever be. Even if Lordkat was the luckiest guy and managed to have his projects go 100% well and his community grew, it would be a blip compared to the likes to The Amazing Atheist. This isn't a condemnation of Lordkat as a community leader or a producer or as a person, but rather to highlight just how huge the comparison marker is! Even if the first thing google suggests me when I search for "Amazing Atheist" is Banana!

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Lordkat is having a meltdown over GamerGate? It's a shame - I actually popped back into the IRC after not being there for a year, and everyone was chill, a couple of people remembered me, it was nice.

While Lordkat was ranting and raving about Channel Awesome, doing the "oh man, I have some big bombshell....but I'm not telling it" nonsense. I used to really like his videos, but he needs to deal with his anger problems and just let the Channel Awesome obession go - it's been four years, and he's still working himself into a rage over it. His commmunity was really fun at times, but his anger and negatvity pretty much sours it.

Being "on" for 24 hours can't be good for someone. I remember when he'd play a game, or watch some public domain movie, crack jokes with the chat, and maybe one of the regulars would come on and they'd chill and talk about stuff. That was fun. :smith:

I've never watched Radio Dead Air live, but I do like to have the WTFIWWY segements on as background noise. Nash seems like a fun guy you could have a beer with, so he's fun to listen to.

As for Spoony, he's shown that he can still make good content, but he really needs to up his output. Brad has at least one Cinema Snob out a week, and those are pretty funny - Spoony makes a proper, non-vlog video...how often?

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 20, 2014

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I thought he had stopped the 24 hour ordeal.

I have some bones to pick with his approach to some subject matters he tackles, but I wouldn't pin Nash as vile or anything.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Getting away from broken human beings for a moment, whatever happened to Infamous Sphere? I really liked her reviews but she hasn't made one in a while and has just completely vanished from SA. Anyone know what happened?

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
Concerning Patreon, there's a reason I made mine as payment per video. If I made it per month it's REAAAALLY easy to get lazy, because hey, I get paid the same. Which isn't meant to be a slight at anyone; I just mean that it's very easy to fall by the wayside, especially when we've been doing these videos for so long. I like having per video because then it means I have to earn what I make; I have some control over how much money I make that month. And at the same time, if someone can only afford so much per month, they can cap off what they pay. It's worked out pretty well so far.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

achillesforever6 posted:

So he was kicked off or something? I heard about loving around with a drunk girl and that awful comment he made about how Spoony should kill himself, but I wasn't aware anything happened recently to get him on this kick.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

dijon du jour posted:

Getting away from broken human beings for a moment, whatever happened to Infamous Sphere? I really liked her reviews but she hasn't made one in a while and has just completely vanished from SA. Anyone know what happened?

Infamous Sphere has been on an art fellowship in rural Ontario, which she's following with a bit of tourism, so she hasn't had time to work on her show or post.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

echopapa posted:

Infamous Sphere has been on an art fellowship in rural Ontario, which she's following with a bit of tourism, so she hasn't had time to work on her show or post.

No poo poo? Good for her. :)

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

So he was kicked off or something? I heard about loving around with a drunk girl and that awful comment he made about how Spoony should kill himself, but I wasn't aware anything happened recently to get him on this kick.

He's been anti-Channel Awesome for ages, way before all of those things. If I remember right, I think it started off because of him getting laughed out of an intended-to-be-sincere interview with some game developer because of Spoony and Angry Joe's reputations at the time, or something along those lines? It was just after that "Betrayal" X-Com thing the two of them did, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Idran posted:

He's been anti-Channel Awesome for ages, way before all of those things. If I remember right, I think it started off because of him getting laughed out of an intended-to-be-sincere interview with some game developer because of Spoony and Angry Joe's reputations at the time, or something along those lines? It was just after that "Betrayal" X-Com thing the two of them did, I think.

He talks about that in a video that he did right after Spoonygate. He does mention that Spoony's and Joe's antics got the press to turn against him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9_isC31GFY

• Locked thread