Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I wonder how Devy is going to support himself in ten years. He can't stay this prolific and he's probably not making a ton of cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

origami posted:

I wonder how Devy is going to support himself in ten years. He can't stay this prolific and he's probably not making a ton of cash.
Ziltoid becomes its own brand of children's toys/books, Ziltoid puppet and bedtime story book sales through the roof

Varg fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 13, 2014

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

origami posted:

I don't think he leads a rock star lifestyle. And his wife probable works. My brother used to work with his dad. Tree falling or Window fabrication or something.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Please share an anecdote about Devy's dad.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Won't he just become a producer? Must be countless bands who'd kill for him to work on their stuff.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

origami posted:

Please share an anecdote about Devy's dad.

I don't know much, I could ask my brother. Apparently he was an older guy, and talked about his son often and seemed very proud. My brother asked me one day if I knew of a band called SYL, I said yeah, but didn't know much except the singer had a skullet. My brother mentioned that he works with the singer's dad and that he should check them out or something. I suppose this would be around 2006/2007. I used to live in New Westminster where Devin lives, and know some people who knew him, but honestly never really followed the guys work until the last few months.

Speaking of, I just took a hot bath while listening to ghost. Am I doing it right ?

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Stoat posted:

Won't he just become a producer? Must be countless bands who'd kill for him to work on their stuff.
I just still think back to Dev's hand on "As The Palaces Burn" and believe that he's better off not wandering into anything like that again. I don't think his style would really work for most other stuff.. and who knows if he would really even be into it anymore. I would however love to hear him produce some avant-garde black metal or something.. that would be killer.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Darkest Hour - Undoing Ruin was alright.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
The dude who does the metal show at the radio station I work at got a pre-release copy and taunted me today by telling me he thinks the second disc is better than the first :(

SKELETONS
May 8, 2014
Surely he can't have any financial concerns? He's been involved in 10+ moderately successful albums and constant touring. Sober Devin doesn't seem the type to be irresponsible with money, although the fact that he had a kickstarter for his album is not a good sign.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
He is a niche artist in a genre that really doesn't sell and is catering to nerds who know how to torrent.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Speaking of which, it sounds like the album has leaked.

http://hasitleaked.com/2012/devin-townsend-ziltoid-2/

Scroll down and read the comments.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
@dvntownsend: Apparently z2 has leaked, which is fine..but just fyi if 'Fallout' has me singing the verse, it's the OLD mix and master. Real one is better

@dvntownsend: ...and thats really my only concern :)

Listening to it... now.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Revol posted:

@dvntownsend: Apparently z2 has leaked, which is fine..but just fyi if 'Fallout' has me singing the verse, it's the OLD mix and master. Real one is better

@dvntownsend: ...and thats really my only concern :)

Listening to it... now.

As soon as the narrator said the phrase Herman, the Planet Smasher at the end of Wandering Eye, I got way more excited than a grown adult has any right to be about a goofy, farty musical radio show. The whole radio stich really worked well for presenting an engaging story in Dark Matters. I can definitely see myself listening to this a lot.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
On the last track of Sky Blue, this album doesn't do anything for me on first listen. But, this happens a lot for me.

@dvntownsend: Thanks guys...honestly don't really care about leaks. Just care that its the right version people ingest.

@dvntownsend: When the right version leaks, let me know and I'll back that one. =)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man, Sky Blue is just doing NOTHING for me :(

It's all just sort of blending together.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
The last few tracks of sky blue really resonated with me on first listen. I recently lost a loved one so I identify with it.

Dark Matters is fun but there are a couple of tracks I don't care for. War princess and March of the Poozers are the standout tracks. I have a feeling that I will listen to the third disc without dialogue more than the second though. Also according to Twitter, ziltoid and the war princess (who is also a queen I guess) end up on the moon from casualties.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

axleblaze posted:

Man, Sky Blue is just doing NOTHING for me :(

It's all just sort of blending together.

I suspect it is the mix. Or at least, I hope so. It does seem like the vocals are getting lost, on both tracks.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

I'm quite enjoying Sky Blue but I am not wild about the mix. In parts of it, it just goes way too wall-of-sound, even for Devin. A New Reign is an obvious example - there's bits where it's really hard to tell what the guitar is even doing, it just becomes a vaguely tuneful wall of noise.

As such I'm actually quite pleased to hear that this isn't the final mix and master, there's definitely room for improvement.

Despite that, there are plenty of songs on here that I can see becoming long term Devy favourites. Fallout, Warrior, and Silent Militia were all big winners on first listen (I'm only up to Rain City at the moment!). Midnight Sun was really interesting because there is a definite Terria vibe to some of the riffs.

Overall, I am really pleased with the way this whole thing is shaping up. Haven't even touched Z2 yet!

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
It is everything I hoped it would be. :iia:

SKELETONS
May 8, 2014
Universal Flame is unbelievably sick. A Good Album

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Silent Militia!

edit: "Before We Die" is perfect.

Astrochicken fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 18, 2014

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Poor quality pirate copy.

War Princess is one of the most insanely over-the-top good DT songs I think I've heard.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Argh I'm so tempted! I might wait for my preorder, or at least a leak that's the proper mix. So, is dark matters nice and heavy?

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I'm not being tempted by leaks. I'm waiting to get my preorder

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
im also not spoiling myself. Although I did listen to a few seconds here and there to get a taste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFs6CB8Kgf0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkZ9mnIr5kg

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

henpod posted:

Argh I'm so tempted! I might wait for my preorder, or at least a leak that's the proper mix. So, is dark matters nice and heavy?
My subjective opinion is that it rocks heavy. I'm putting it down until I can hear a good mix, but War Princess makes me want to blow up the Moon and the Earth and plant the Ziltoid flag on the asteroid ruins.

Oh and Ziltoid Goes Home. That's Star-Trek-theme epic.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 19, 2014

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I think between Sky Blue and Epicloud there's one INSANELY strong album. Sky Blue is better overall I think.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I've been listening to Epicloud at least once a day for the past few weeks and it has really become my 2nd favorite Dev album, behind Accelerated Evolution. If Sky Blue comes anywhere close to those two then I'll be satisfied. Sometimes listening through Epicloud I get a feeling like, drat this might be the pinnacle of what Dev can do as far as being able to hit you with a beautiful emotional wall of sound.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Varg posted:

I've been listening to Epicloud at least once a day for the past few weeks and it has really become my 2nd favorite Dev album, behind Accelerated Evolution. If Sky Blue comes anywhere close to those two then I'll be satisfied. Sometimes listening through Epicloud I get a feeling like, drat this might be the pinnacle of what Dev can do as far as being able to hit you with a beautiful emotional wall of sound.

I like Epicloud/er and I also love Sky Blue. You won't be disappointed.

On the other hand, I don't like Z2 at all, but I will probably enjoy the version with the dialogue stripped.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Defiant Sally posted:

I like Epicloud/er and I also love Sky Blue. You won't be disappointed.

On the other hand, I don't like Z2 at all, but I will probably enjoy the version with the dialogue stripped.

Stop posting like a poozer

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Have given each album about three listens. The only song that I have real serious trouble with is "The New Reign". That intro riff just sounds kind of dull and trite to me, and it reappears throughout the song. The rest of the song has its moments but it's not a winner for me overall.

Otherwise, Sky Blue is really great. There are lots of moments that are even more "fun" than Epicloud and I can see why that will rub people the wrong way - hell, Universal Flame and Before We Die reaaaally stretch my tolerance for cheese. But overall I think the album is a real triumph. Really approachable and catchy, with enough interesting musicality to stand out.

I think Z2 is going to take longer to get to terms with. I've definitely enjoyed listening to it but the story is much harder to pick up than Z1. The songs seem to run together a bit more (although that'll probably change as I get more familiar with it). A fair bit of the music doesn't use Devin's voice, nor any real lead vocals to speak of, and that surprises me because I think vocal performance and composition is absolutely one of Devin's strong points. But I guess he decided not to feature it so much on this album, and I'll just have to approach it on its own terms!

The more I listen to Z2 the more I appreciate it, there is a lot going on there and there is very little dull filler material.

Overall, I'm thrilled with this release, it was pretty much exactly what I wanted.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I see what Sally is saying, to be honest. Z2 is fun in the silly, Devin kind of way. It's got some pretty great moments and riffs, but it's really along the same lines of Punky Bruster to me: a little diversion because Devin wanted to do something ridiculous for a bit. Maybe a better mix will help out, but it's really a far cry from his "serious" work. It's a nice listen, but only in the way that crazy "Metal for the sake of Metal" can be.

Sky Blue, on the other hand, is fantastic. I don't know if it's quite at Epicloud levels (my favorite DT album), but it's definitely a complete package with some incredible, moving moments that really stand out as Devin having stuff that he needed to say and get out of his head. Really, "Rejoice" is one of the only songs I don't care for on the album, and he gets that out of the way off the bat. "Fallout," "Universal Flame," and the title track are really high points for me on that emotional level.

I ended up writing a novel because of "Save Our Now" when Epicloud came out. I'm getting a lot of that same inspiration from SB. Fantastic work that makes up for the lackluster Z2, in my humble opinion.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Oct 20, 2014

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Axel Serenity posted:

Really, "Rejoice" is one of the only songs I don't care for on the album, and he gets that out of the way off the bat.
Actually, yeah, I agree with you. I think that is kind of weak. It's just a little repetitive and I'm not sure the main riff is quite as strong as he thinks it is. It's not a bad track, but easily one of my least favourite.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I really dig Rejoice, for me the weakest is A New Reign which is kinda boring and The Ones Who Love which is garbage

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Is there anyone who didn't like Epicloud much who likes Sky Blue? I found Epicloud kind of dull and maybe my least favourite Devin album overall, and all the Epicloud + Sky Blue love is making me worried I won't much like Sky Blue either.

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

il_cornuto posted:

Is there anyone who didn't like Epicloud much who likes Sky Blue? I found Epicloud kind of dull and maybe my least favourite Devin album overall, and all the Epicloud + Sky Blue love is making me worried I won't much like Sky Blue either.

I found most of Epicloud pretty dull after repeated listening aside from a few tracks. I've not really heard much from Blue Sky (aside from the iTunes previews) but I get the feeling that it might be the same... Good in short bursts or if it comes on when I put my library on random but not really an album that I would go out of my way to listen to regularly.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

il_cornuto posted:

It's definitely in the same vein as Epicloud, but it is different in a few ways. I would argue that the songs are more diverse and better written.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

So my evening was pretty cool. That's some random crowd member on the guitar by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

il_cornuto posted:

Me. Not a fan of that album. I like the big, sweeping ultra-grabby and catchy tunes which Epicloud lacked. Though it had a few fun tracks.

• Locked thread