Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

baka kaba posted:

Collins is still confusing - I mean the guy does entire cartoons mocking muesli-havers and Guardian readers, so is he the guy with the glasses?
In this instance we're meant to sympathize with the Guardian reader - the cartoon is about petty judgments people make regarding each other's lives, based on trivial indications like purchasing habits, that sustain a false sense of superiority. He's definitely not saying "muesli and The Guardian, lol".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Ersatz posted:

In this instance we're meant to sympathize with the Guardian reader - the cartoon is about petty judgments people make regarding each other's lives, based on trivial indications like purchasing habits, that sustain a false sense of superiority. He's definitely not saying "muesli and The Guardian, lol".

Hmm petty judgements based on purchasing habits you say!

I'm not really being fair, I was just googling around and a lot of his non-political stuff is great too. It's just the guardian stuff lately seems to be hitting a lot of milquetoast 'middle class bugbears' notes

Also since there's no Express at the weekends let's all enjoy some classic Thomas

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

baka kaba posted:

Collins is still confusing - I mean the guy does entire cartoons mocking muesli-havers and Guardian readers, so is he the guy with the glasses? Has he switched sides after someone looked disdainfully at his trolley in Waitrose? I really think he should stick to the vaguely political stuff, his style is much better when it's covering something with teeth

The guardian hates and actively mocks it's own readership - if you're not solely reading it for the Bell/Rowson cartoons, the crossword and the occasional funny Charlie Brooker piece it's an exercise in self-abuse full of self-hating filler garbage and clickbait op-eds by pond scum like kelvin mackenzie.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Puntification posted:

The guardian hates and actively mocks it's own readership - if you're not solely reading it for the Bell/Rowson cartoons, the crossword and the occasional funny Charlie Brooker piece it's an exercise in self-abuse full of self-hating filler garbage and clickbait op-eds by pond scum like kelvin mackenzie.

How the gently caress are people not able to see that Collins is using self-deprecating humour? Is anyone in this thread actually English? :psyduck:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"The beast lurking within the Tory party - Chris Riddell on the Conservative right's answer to the threat of Ukip"

Sunday Telegraph:

Philip Hammond slapped down by Brussel for his vow to 'light a fire under the EU'

Independent on Sunday:

After Ingmar Bergman.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Didn't the Indy artist do a version of Laocöon with Farage as a snake?

e: I suppose it was Rawson

(with Theresa May as the snake)

Hong XiuQuan fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Oct 19, 2014

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

That is a really bad label.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Hong XiuQuan posted:

Didn't the Indy artist do a version of Laocöon with Farage as a snake?

e: I suppose it was Rawson

(with Theresa May as the snake)

Bell did a version with cameron and murdoch as the snake I think as well.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Cloud Potato posted:

Independent on Sunday:

I recognised the scene and gave a very middle-class nod of approval then I remembered how the film goes.

And god drat is that a stupid cartoon.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the Vatican and gay rights – Pope Francis appears to have lost out to powerful conservatives in the Roman Catholic church after bishops scrapped language that had been hailed as a historic warming of attitudes towards gay people"; Internet trolls face up to two years in jail under new laws

Telegraph:

Independent:

EU exit would leave Britain with zero influence, says Barroso

Times:

Express:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's midnight, George, what the hell are you doing here

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

This is incredible, you can actually watch the cartoonist switch from Tory to UKIP as his David Cameron caricature goes from the incredibly simple jolly stick figure to actually having detail, look at the bags under his eyes and the suddenly thinner hair.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It's midnight, George, what the hell are you doing here
It's always midnight in Thomasworld, the sun just up and went "gently caress this poo poo for a bag of tricks" one day. As for what George is doing there, maybe he was arranging the fireplace bongos.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

In reality

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Haha it really sounds like a (pretentious) schoolchild level comeback.

Also David cameron has a framed photo of a ghost on his strangely large fireplace, also there is a vampire bird in the room. Clearly thomas is getting in the halloween mood!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Geokinesis posted:

How about a referendum on YOUR MUM.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Geokinesis posted:

No, it IS a schoolchild level comeback. If this is the kind of toothless, petty nonsense we can expect when Thomas tries to grow a pair, I say godspeed.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

What about a referendum on how much Barroso smells like a poohead?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
It's been days now, and still the endless night shows no sign of ending. Dave tries to read the papers, hoping to find comfort in the familiar ritual, but the unnatural gloom outside the windows cannot be ignored. For some, the strain is too much. A pudgy-faced man in a pinstripe suit cracks visibly, sweeping his red box off the table, jabbing a finger and making some incoherent, irrelevant remark about the EU.

Of course, they had bigger problems, now - how would they grow food without sunlight? How would they stay warm? Temperatures were already 40 below and plunging by the hour. But, like Dave and the newspaper, unable to understand the calamity that had befallen them, the government sought relief in the old certainties. Slagging off the Europeans might bring some brief comfort, but it wouldn't bring the sun back.

Dave's hands begin to shake. He walks over to the mantlepiece, hoping that one of the photos he keeps there could steady his nerves. But some fucker had built the fireplace ten feet tall.

Outside, the wind howls.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Oct 20, 2014

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Zephro posted:

It's been days now, and still the endless night shows no sign of ending. Dave tries to read the papers, hoping to find comfort in the familiar ritual, but the unnatural gloom outside the windows cannot be ignored. For some, the strain is too much. A pudgy-faced man in a pinstripe suit cracks visibly, sweeping his red box off the table, jabbing a finger and making some incoherent, irrelevant remark about the EU.

Of course, they had bigger problems, now - how would they grow food without sunlight? How would they stay warm? Temperatures were already 40 below and plunging by the hour. But, like Dave and the newspaper, unable to understand the calamity that had befallen them, the government sought relief in the old certainties. Slagging off the Europeans might bring some brief comfort, but it wouldn't bring the sun back.

Dave's hands begin to shake. He walks over to the mantlepiece, hoping that one of the photos he keeps there could steady his nerves. But some fucker had built the fireplace ten feet tall.

Outside, the wind howls.

It's grim. They've already resorted to burning bongo drums to keep warm.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I want to know what incredible blackmail Thomas has on the Express that allows him to phone it in so hard. Someone dead with an orange in their mouth at the very least.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

CoolCab posted:

It's grim. They've already resorted to burning bongo drums to keep warm.

All these bongos coming over here from Bongo-Bongo Land and putting good British trees out of work :argh:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on David Cameron's plans to curb EU migrants – Prime minister to lay out plans before Christmas on curbing the rights of EU migrants to work in Britain" After Alfred Leete.

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Express:

Government advises pensioners to heat just ONE room this winter

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

That heat-just-one-room thing is a perfect setup for an Ebeneezer Scrooge, coal-for-the-fire comic.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Thomas appears to have gone for a the housing association has filled the sprinkler system with piss to stop us building indoor bonfires comic instead.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Breaking: Express advocates pensioners to ritually immolate themselves and their homes to please the economy and ward off forrins.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on peerages – Sir Andrew Green, the long-term chairman of the thinktank MigrationWatch UK, has been made a peer by David Cameron"

Telegraph:

Independent:

DJ Mike Read defends UKIP Calypso song

Times:

Public borrowing rises to £11.8bn in September

Express:

Oscar Pistorius begins jail sentence for Reeva Steenkamp death

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

:drat: I really didn't expect the Torygraph to be the ones to pull this out.

also lollin at Thomas' twenty-foot tall Pistorius

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Party Boat posted:

Yeah, I'd have expected that from Bell maybe but not the Telegraph. Thomas' grasp of scale is still unparalleled though.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Party Boat posted:

Telegraph is tory through and through so they have more reason to hate UKIP than anyone.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
oops, this was meant for the ukmt

don't mind me

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Oct 22, 2014

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Party Boat posted:

All it's missing is the 'If you desire a Coloured for a neighbour...' poster. For, uh, reasons.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...

Cloud Potato posted:

Express:

Ed Miliband exists.

Sorry for the late reply but as soon as I saw this all I could think of was...

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
I still don't get why his Miliband is built like a brick shithouse. Figured he'd go for 'weedy and weak'. Ed looks like he could just chokeslam the guy.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

It's because he can't draw for poo poo!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Obliterati posted:

I still don't get why his Miliband is built like a brick shithouse. Figured he'd go for 'weedy and weak'. Ed looks like he could just chokeslam the guy.

Not with his freakishly mutated left hand he wont.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"First Dog on the Moon on Isis – A US airdrop of arms to besieged Kurds in Kobani appears to have missed its target and ended up in the hands of Islamic State (Isis) militants"

Telegraph:

Renée Zellweger's new look due to 'happy, healthy lifestyle', not surgery

Independent:

Legal challenge launched over abuse inquiry chair

Times:

Nigel Farage strikes alliance with far-right MEP who joked about Hitler and beating women After Aniston, Cox, Kudrow, LeBlanc, Perry and Schwimmer.

Express:

David Cameron: 'Buck stops with me' on foreign criminals

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the NHS and Tesco – Survey finds pessimism among UK population, particularly women and poorer people, over future of national health service"

Telegraph:

Tesco shares slump after raised profit error

Independent:

Miliband promises new immigration laws if he wins election [All IPAs are terrible, CONFIRMED.]

Times:

Express:

Prince Charles’s charity warns of ‘missing million’ unemployed over-50s

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Lidl is an interesting choice here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clapham Omnibus
Nov 11, 2006