Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

SBJ posted:

Are you morons upset that horror games have rape and sexual violence? Both of those things are actually horrifying and happen in real life. What the gently caress did you expect?
:rolleyes: Child molestation is also horrifying, but if you think the graphic rape of an infant is appropriate in any kind of entertainment, you need to get your head checked out. Horror is still supposed to be fun, not genuinely uncomfortable. This is a video game, not the chants of Maldoror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky

Cardiovorax posted:

:rolleyes: Child molestation is also horrifying, but if you think the graphic rape of an infant is appropriate in any kind of entertainment, you need to get your head checked out. Horror is still supposed to be fun, not genuinely uncomfortable. This is a video game, not the chants of Maldoror.

Oh ok well I'm sorry that the Outlast DLC was too triggering for you. Perhaps take a break from horror games if you don't want a scary and uncomfortable experience.

I just don't get how gruesome violence and suffering is alright but when it becomes sexual in nature suddenly we went too far. Let's replace it with more decapitation scenes.

Unless you just prefer horror without gore, in which case then yes alright, they are mostly scarier so I can't fault you for that.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
I feel like saying that it should *never* be used is a shallow way of looking at it, but games (and media in general) tend to use rape as a no-effort cheap thrill and that is Bad And Wrongtm, and Outlast's approach is certainly no exception to that.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Hey al-azad, you should definitely add "Haunting - Starring Polterguy" for the Genesis/Megadrive to your list. I think it would fit in well with the other games you've done thus far.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

SBJ posted:

Oh ok well I'm sorry that the Outlast DLC was too triggering for you. Perhaps take a break from horror games if you don't want a scary and uncomfortable experience.

I just don't get how gruesome violence and suffering is alright but when it becomes sexual in nature suddenly we went too far. Let's replace it with more decapitation scenes.

Unless you just prefer horror without gore, in which case then yes alright, they are mostly scarier so I can't fault you for that.
I'm sure you're deeply impressed with your ability to be a tough guy on the internet, but I'm secure enough in my masculinity to admit that I've got enough poo poo I need to deal with in my life that I don't need to see in my escapism, too.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

:spooky: The 31 Days Many Games of October :spooky:

Challenge Games
1. Alien: Isolation
2. Year Walk
3. Deadlight
4. Adventures of Shuggy
5. Atom Zombie Smasher
6. Alan Wake's American Nightmare
7. Infected: The Twin Vaccine - Collector's Edition
8. How to Survive
9. 1953 - KGB Unleashed
10. Burn Zombie Burn!
11. Home
12. Huntsman: The Orphanage (Halloween Edition)
13. Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi
14. Scarygirl

Bonus Games
A. Painkiller: Black Edition
B. The Void
C. Shadowgrounds

-----------------

15. I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream

I can't properly describe the happy dance I did when IHNMAIMS got re-released on Steam a few months ago. As a young lad the demo of this bleak, creepy adventure game had haunted me, but never did I save enough allowance to buy the full game before it disappeared into the ether. Now, at last, I can revisit it and experience the horror for myself... and discover it's not all that horrifying.

Well, the premise is horrifying at least. The mad supercomputer AM has obliterated humanity, preserving only five individuals to torture for more than a hundred years. Now AM wants to play a special game with them, one that could result in their freedom, if they can overcome their fears and regrets. Each of the characters has some dark secret that AM has used to torture them; one was a Nazi doctor, another had his wife committed, and so on. You chose which scenario to play through, and if you die (yes, you can die in this adventure game, but it's only a temporary setback) you get to choose again. The gameplay is what you'd expect of an adventure game, though my impression is that this one is lighter on the item collecting and combining and more on interacting with the scenery and other characters. It can be a bit of a pixel hunt at times, and some of the puzzles are a little obtuse owing to the nightmarish nature of the scenarios AM concocts.

What really got me was the voice acting. I didn't even recall the game being voice acted when I was a child, and honestly the game is probably better served without it. The godlike supercomputer taunts his victims like a stuffy DOTA player ridiculing his team. The one woman of the group talks in some seriously dated 90s forced ebonics that gets pretty cringeworthy at times. The writing itself generally holds up, but there are occasional tonal shifts where a character tries to make a funny in the midst of confronting their horrors. Sadly, this one isn't quite as atmospheric and creepy as I had remembered, but so far it's a solid enough adventure game. And the world always needs more unique adventure games.

16. Closure

Mmm, indie platformers. LIMBO wasn't the first, but it sure did spark a deluge of similar titles. Closure does a little more with its monochromatic precept and ends up a pretty unique experience, if a little thin on substance. The idea is that nothing actually exists in the darkness between light sources. There may be a bridge right in front of you, but if there's no light on it, it doesn't exist. Most of the time you'll be juggling hand-held light sources and keys, though you'll encounter other forms of illumination like glowing boxes and spotlights. This makes for all sorts of creative puzzles like warping through floors and creating your own staircases. Rooms are fairly simple (at least early on) and provide ample opportunity to get the hang of the mechanics. Respawning if you fall out of the universe is instant, and there's a button to instantly reset if you render a puzzle unsolvable.

The aesthetic is sharp and intriguing, which makes the fact there's absolutely no story even more of a shame. You'll explore rooms of immense machinery and towering pipes as all manner of odd-headed, multi-limbed creatures, but never will you have any idea why or how. It's a bit of a waste, really, leaving you with just gameplay and style to hold your interest. I also found the music didn't quite fit the feel of the game either, though I can't really put my finger on why. Closure definitely isn't a spooky game, but the mysterious look and solid puzzles make it worth at least a little of your time.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Monicro posted:

I feel like saying that it should *never* be used is a shallow way of looking at it, but games (and media in general) tend to use rape as a no-effort cheap thrill and that is Bad And Wrongtm, and Outlast's approach is certainly no exception to that.

This is what it's all about. Ultra violence is already a cheap device but one difference between sexual assault and decapitation is that there's a 0% chance your audience has experienced the latter. If you don't see an issue with taking real life experiences that people live through and turn them into cheap thrills then I don't know what to say to you. It's even worse when you consider the "target audience" is white heterosexual males who probably never have to fear being raped or assaulted while elsewhere in the world there are actually people who are being forcibly raped and having their genitalia mutilated (and by elsewhere in the world I mean right here in America, just look up the forced sterilization of female California prisoners).

Bottom line, it's a cheap lazy plot device. I can name twenty good scary movies off the top of my head that don't use rape for scares and maybe one good movie that does and I don't think video games will top Deliverance any time soon.

7c Nickel posted:

Hey al-azad, you should definitely add "Haunting - Starring Polterguy" for the Genesis/Megadrive to your list. I think it would fit in well with the other games you've done thus far.

I'm actually playing that today. Technically I'm playing its big brother Ghost Master but Haunting gets a special mention.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm sure you're deeply impressed with your ability to be a tough guy on the internet, but I'm secure enough in my masculinity to admit that I've got enough poo poo I need to deal with in my life that I don't need to see in my escapism, too.

I don't think you 'get' horror.

Sure, everyone can laugh at stupid teens in B-Movie poo poo, but good horror isn't something I'd say you want to 'escape' to.

al-azad posted:

Bottom line, it's a cheap lazy plot device.

You can say about anything ever. Your post comes off a little social justicy, so I'll just reposte with physical abuse in any media makes me really uncomfortable, and something I've gone through yet I don't deny it can be used effectively to elicit an emotional response. Sorry, I just don't think because something that is disgusting and horrible, that immediately means it can't and shouldn't be used if the writer, for lack of a better term, can do it well.

In outlast specifically, the threat of rape definitely was just edgy for edgyness

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Oct 20, 2014

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

A. Beaverhausen posted:

It's a lot less entertaining after you've watched a grown man break down and blubber while telling the story of how his Jehova's Witness father used to beat him bloody and rape him. Call me wuss if you really need to, but I think there's a line that doesn't need crossing. Not for entertainment, unless you're making some artistic point of breaking boundaries for the sake of it.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky

Cardiovorax posted:

It's a lot less entertaining after you've watched a grown man break down and blubber while telling the story of how his Jehova's Witness father used to beat him bloody and rape him. Call me wuss if you really need to, but I think there's a line that doesn't need crossing. Not for entertainment, unless you're making some artistic point of breaking boundaries for the sake of it.

I think your mistake is thinking that this "line" that applies to you due to unfortunate personal experiences should be universal for everybody.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
is this what you people talk about in this thread

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Cardiovorax posted:

I can see why you would have a problem with it, I personally just don't believe in lines that you can't cross in expression.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A. Beaverhausen posted:

You can say about anything ever. Your post comes off a little social justicy, so I'll just reposte with physical abuse in any media makes me really uncomfortable, and something I've gone through yet I don't deny it can be used effectively to elicit an emotional response.

In outlast specifically, the threat of rape definitely was just edgy for edgyness

See, when I think "abuse" I understand it as something mental. Rarely are you defenseless in a video game. And even when you are the end result of the villain catching you is death. They're not exerting their will over you, they just cut your head off and move on. Regarding that Outlast DLC I haven't played it but saw the scene in question. I thought it was an effective scene all the way up to the villain's laughable delivery about impregnation or whatever. That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about!

I am not denying sexual assault can't be used effectively but its been used so ineffectively for so long that any failure stands out like a sore thumb. It feels mocking. I don't know how that's "social justice" but whatever.

Take Silent Hill 2. The game communicates to you what James did to his wife but weaves his sexual frustration into context clues in the way the nurses are scantily dressed and how off Maria looks (and of course pyramid head, uh, "strangling" mannequins). And then you have Angela and the abstract daddy which is really direct but her thick clothing and nervous reactions also hint at an abused past. All that without strapping her down on a table and having a monster gyrate above her or whatever cheap scares they could have shoved in the game.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Monicro posted:

We usually just argue about what the definition of a "jump scare" is.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky

Monicro posted:

All of SA is now a heated discussion on social justice and gender rights.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I can see why you would have a problem with it, I personally just don't believe in lines that you can't cross in expression.
I didn't say "can't," it's just something I'd prefer not to see in what's to me really just light entertainment. It just strikes me as tasteless.

al-azad posted:

Take Silent Hill 2. The game communicates to you what James did to his wife but weaves his sexual frustration into context clues in the way the nurses are scantily dressed and how off Maria looks (and of course pyramid head, uh, "strangling" mannequins). And then you have Angela and the abstract daddy which is really direct but her thick clothing and nervous reactions also hint at an abused past. All that without strapping her down on a table and having a monster gyrate above her or whatever cheap scares they could have shoved in the game.
Yeah, that. There's a good way to bring sexuality into horror and a bad way, and graphically raping dudes and cutting of their balls with lots of gore falls straight on the bad side.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

So whatever happened with that unkillable ghost that was going to make Evil Within a bad game? Were people just hitting panic buttons for no reason?

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
Horror games would be a lot better if devs understood that fear is at its strongest when the monster approaches you, not when it already has you in its jaws. Especially not after the 20th time.

Gore works because it reminds you that hey, this is what you can be broken down into. The problem is when devs try so hard that you end up seeing them pop out from behind the metaphorical curtain, and then it's like "wow, you sure are trying too hard to tell me something, huh".

It's like passive-aggresiveness for horror.

Reallycoolname fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Oct 20, 2014

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Len posted:

So whatever happened with that unkillable ghost that was going to make Evil Within a bad game? Were people just hitting panic buttons for no reason?

Didn't play it because it looks to much like RE4, which is a poo poo game.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Len posted:

He appears in a single chapter and can be hidden from. A lot of people in the main thread keep complaining about the difficulty and how they lost all their ammo, but I can only imagine they did this by staring at a wall and firing - non-stop - until they were dry.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

He appears in a single chapter and can be hidden from. A lot of people in the main thread keep complaining about the difficulty and how they lost all their ammo, but I can only imagine they did this by staring at a wall and firing - non-stop - until they were dry.

I've seen some cheap deaths involving it, like one guy running away to a door where a scripted monster pops out and he died. I'm not going to defend it as good design but it kind of comes with the territory, there are a few moments like this in Resident Evil 4.

The PC version looks great, I don't know why people are saying the game looks bad outside of the dumb black bars you can turn off.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah not gonna defend the one-hit kill stuff, but it's so weird seeing this many people complain about how resource starved they are. I really do not get how they're putting themselves into that situation so quickly.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

poptart_fairy posted:

So it really was people just hitting the panic button based on one contextless video.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Len posted:

So it really was people just hitting the panic button based on one contextless video.

Yeah, it turns out the game has a bunch of other flaws people are constantly harping on :v:

(I love this game)

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Shockingly the one hit kill enemy that can walk through walls was telling of the overall quality of the games design, which is bad, who knew?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
A one hit kill enemy which is heavily telegraphed and can be dealt with using the environment.

I don't think goons really seem to get the Evil Within.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

poptart_fairy posted:

A one hit kill enemy which is heavily telegraphed and can be dealt with using the environment.

I don't think goons really seem to get the Evil Within.

Sorry this week the goon attention is on Shadow of Mordor. Maybe next week will be Evil Withins time to shine.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Some people just don't like being under time pressure. Nothing wrong with that, can't appeal to everyone.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Sure, but there's a difference between hating time pressure and throwing a fit because you're terrible at the game.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Maybe try posting in the evil within thread, which is where i assume all the people are that are complaining about being resource starved that you are arguing with in this thread.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
None of them have actually answered my questions about it, instead they spill over into here complaining about the game. :v:

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Real talk: as someone who generally hates overly actiony AAA horror games will i enjoy evil within at all?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Clever Spambot posted:

Real talk: as someone who generally hates overly actiony AAA horror games will i enjoy evil within at all?

Maybe? It's actually kind of a deliberate departure from those types of games, RE4 especially. Although it has some sections where you're forced to fight, it's not really an action game, and you're pretty much always outnumbered and outgunned.

It's clunky for sure, but I love what it's trying to do, and assuming you can live with some of its weird quirks, you'll probably dig it. You will have to endure some inevitable frustration since the game does not hold your hand at all and isn't always super intuitive.

Edit: It hearkens back to the days when the fear of being stuck at a bad save with no ammo and low health was far worse than any actual enemy you would encounter.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Oct 20, 2014

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Angryhead posted:

Played through Neverending Nightmares for the first time last night, got the Destroyed Dreams ending.
It only took me 68 minutes, which was a bit shorter than I expected. It was plenty tense and the scares got me more than a couple of times, but I got pretty frustrated during the "stealth" sections in the asylum with the guys in the straightjackets, where I died at least a dozen times (though I have to admit that I got chills pretty much every time), maybe I'm just bad at games but I think that part could have done with a few less repetitions.
The atmosphere was and overall artstyle was good, not a big fan of the stilted animations though.

Pretty good overall, and I might go back for the other endings some other night. Also thinking of finally playing Condemned.

Condemned is goddamn fantastic.

I somehow missed out on almost 50 pages of this new horror games thread but I've also just beaten Neverending Nightmares (wish this game had more to it) and have gotten to night 3 in Five Nights at Freddy's (which is fantastic for how simple it is).

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Clever Spambot posted:

Maybe? Large parts of it are stealth focused.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Clever Spambot posted:

I like it quite a bit. So far in all the areas where there's a large group of enemies, there's lots of traps around, environmental things to do, etc., you can also stealth kill normal enemies and the gane has a great variety of stuff in each chapter. You can do some cool stuff like instead of throwing a bottle away to distract an enemy you can bean them on them head with it which stuns them and lets you instakill them.

Fire is a big part of the game, people talk about it in more detail but when you're fighting a large group it's less about shooting and more about keeping your cool while figuring out the best way to burn a bunch of them at once with the least resources.

The big flaw of the game for me is that when it comes to the more unique boss type enemies, the can be vague as to whether you're supposed to kill them or flee to the next area.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cardiovorax posted:

I thought child molestation was horrifying before freddie kreuger made it mainstream.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

al-azad posted:

I've seen some cheap deaths involving it, like one guy running away to a door where a scripted monster pops out and he died. I'm not going to defend it as good design but it kind of comes with the territory, there are a few moments like this in Resident Evil 4.

The PC version looks great, I don't know why people are saying the game looks bad outside of the dumb black bars you can turn off.

People are probably not happy with the PC version because it's seems to have not been optimised in any way at all. It has ridiculously beefy minimum hardware requirements. If you compare the requirements to the hardware statistics of steam users that valve posts less than 10% of people have the minimum VRAM. poo poo, I can rin BF4 and Alien Isolation and I get maybe 12 fps with frequent stuttering if I try playing Evil Within

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

catlord posted:

I loved what I played of Nocturne, but then I got a good computer and now I can't play it.
I played it somewhere halfway between release and present day, so it kinda half-worked for me, but couldn't finish most chapters. There's a petition going on Gog for them to put it up in their store, but I suspect even their top wizards cannot get it to work reliably.

That game was just such a goddamn delight out of nowhere. There was something.. natural about its ugliness, it felt like you were actually there, axing zombies, poking giant crawling bats in the snout with a giant sharpened stick. A pulpy noir horror simulator, half-silly, half-creepy.
Considering how well-developed the whole "Spookhouse" setting was, I thought it was a part of some long-established franchise I hadn't heard anything about, but no, it's just this game. You're just dropped into it without much explanation. Nothing to see here, just a "supernatural cops" department where you bullshit casually with sgt. Haitian voodoo priest and lt. Romanian vampire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I've heard stories about Terminal Reality that amount to them having created loads of lore and notes for projects that never saw the light of day. They tried really hard to turn Bloodrayne into a big franchise but that kind of fell flat on its face. Oh well, RIP to a halfway decent company. Terminal Velocity/Fury3 was my poo poo.

Normal Adult Human posted:

I thought child molestation was horrifying before freddie kreuger made it mainstream.

He was a child killer in the original, the remake made him a molester. But then Dream Warriors made his origin story that his mother was trapped in an insane asylum and raped a bunch of times giving birth to Freddy so... yeah, I hope people can see why I'm hyper critical of rape as a plot point!

al-azad fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 20, 2014