Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Whelp, had a Wereanteater attack a 50 dwarf fort. Ended up with my milita killing it with one death, which was also my first decapitation apparently. Next full moon and now almost the entire militia is wereanteaters.

I guess I just need to embrace the new race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
How does that spread, anyway? Any attack can infect the defender?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Strudel Man posted:

How does that spread, anyway? Any attack can infect the defender?

I think if it bites a defender and the bite attack causes damage. If armor or a shield stop the bite then the dwarf is fine, and I'm pretty sure it has to be a bite; if they get clawed for example that won't spread the were curse.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The were-thing has a special [SPECIALATTACK_INTERACTION] tag attached to the bite. The successfully landed attack triggers an interaction that checks that the creature is a living natural sapient without being a were-thing or a vampire already and then plops in the unending syndrome that causes periodical transformations and stops aging.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
After only a single month:

Toady posted:

I'm finishing up this release -- the last thing I wanted to do before I move back to bugs for a while is to add some extra conversation options regarding the emotions of the person you are talking to and what they think about other people (including yourself).

Parasara
Sep 17, 2014

Next time I see that woman, I'm shooting her, and not in the knee.
Another stupid "why isnt this working" dwarf question:

I have a stockpile full of eggs feeding into a kitchen but when I set it to make meals it says "no solid food found to make meals". Do I need to do something special to the eggs?

Also, I have a bunch of rat corpses that my cattes have killed littering my fortress but nobody is ditching the corpses into the corpse pile outside. What's wrong?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Parasara posted:

I have a stockpile full of eggs feeding into a kitchen but when I set it to make meals it says "no solid food found to make meals". Do I need to do something special to the eggs?
Eggs are treated similarly to flour and tallow - they can be used as ingredients, but you need at least one "solid"(whole plant or meat item) available for a meal to be cooked.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Haifisch posted:

Eggs are treated similarly to flour and tallow - they can be used as ingredients, but you need at least one "solid"(whole plant or meat item) available for a meal to be cooked.

Huh. Unless Toady changed something from 0.34 to 0.40 I don't think that's the issue. In 0.34 I had forts fed by meals made solely from cave croc eggs. I had so drat much of them that they became my primary export.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
You know what occurs to me? Why the heck isn't there a "clean" designation? I mean, yeah, you don't want your dwarves running off to scrub a section of dirt half the map away, but it would be rather nice if you could tell them specifically to clean the vomit out of the dining room.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Neurion posted:

Huh. Unless Toady changed something from 0.34 to 0.40 I don't think that's the issue. In 0.34 I had forts fed by meals made solely from cave croc eggs. I had so drat much of them that they became my primary export.
I think he did. I know 4-booze roasts used to be a remarkably good way to feed your fort. And also buy out entire caravans.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Strudel Man posted:

You know what occurs to me? Why the heck isn't there a "clean" designation? I mean, yeah, you don't want your dwarves running off to scrub a section of dirt half the map away, but it would be rather nice if you could tell them specifically to clean the vomit out of the dining room.

Or scrub the blood off the goddamn walls.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

scamtank posted:

Or scrub the blood off the goddamn walls.

Until Toady invents paint blood is the best they can do to spruce the place up.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Strudel Man posted:

You can do this with DFHack, problem is you can only do the whole map or the tile under your cursor.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Bondematt posted:

You can do this with DFHack, problem is you can only do the whole map or the tile under your cursor.
Yeah, I do that periodically already. It'd just be better if I could do it a little more legitimately.

edit: Some attempt to scale sieges to the size of the settlement would also be nice. I turned down migrants to zero to grow naturally (after the first two waves, anyway), and the most recent siege has more people attacking me than twice my population. Including children. Not including their mounts.

On the other hand, unless something goes wrong, my four legendary soldiers can actually deal with that pretty well. So two absurdities kind of cancel out.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 19, 2014

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Gah. I tried to put my "armored citizenry" plan into action on a new orc fort, since they typically have leather to spare. But nobody's picking up the armor until their squad is set to active, and they set it down again the moment they're deactivated. I could have sworn that I previously saw my soldiers keep their armor on when taken off-duty, even though they dropped their weapons.

Maybe they need to get some skill in armor use before they'll keep wearing it. That might make sense, though it would make the plan somewhat more complicated.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Oct 19, 2014

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Is leather armour functionally better than full leather clothing? It'd be much easier to simply do Fetish Fortress if that's not the case.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

scalded schlong posted:

Is leather armour functionally better than full leather clothing? It'd be much easier to simply do Fetish Fortress if that's not the case.
I think so? It doesn't degrade over time, at least, which makes it massively better in my book even if it doesn't actually provide any more protection.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Strudel Man posted:

I think so? It doesn't degrade over time, at least, which makes it massively better in my book even if it doesn't actually provide any more protection.

It has the [HARD] tag, which at the very least makes it better against blunt impact.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I dunno, I think that one just dictates what the thing can be made of.

The leather armor, by default, doesn't have much to recommend itself. It's just like any given leather coat (a bit thinner, actually, by virtue of how the sleeve and hem lengths contribute to thickness) except the sleeves stop at the elbow.

Jerkins don't degrade over time, aren't snatched up by civilians and uses the ARMOR layer, which goes above both UNDER and OVER garments. That's it, really.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

scamtank posted:

I dunno, I think that one just dictates what the thing can be made of.

Really? Huh. I could have sworn I read somewhere that it influences some properties of items, but the wiki says otherwise.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Don't feel bad, this science is downright grody. It took me experimentation to realize that the WOVEN_THREAD elasticity tag only applies its weakening effects to cloth-based items. And I'm still not sure whether it applies to metal (adamantine) cloth or not!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Huh. I didn't look it up until now, but apparently lamellar leather (in Masterwork) is mechanically identical to iron. Including weight. Might help explain why these guys aren't keeping it on.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Strudel Man posted:

Gah. I tried to put my "armored citizenry" plan into action on a new orc fort, since they typically have leather to spare. But nobody's picking up the armor until their squad is set to active, and they set it down again the moment they're deactivated. I could have sworn that I previously saw my soldiers keep their armor on when taken off-duty, even though they dropped their weapons.

Maybe they need to get some skill in armor use before they'll keep wearing it. That might make sense, though it would make the plan somewhat more complicated.

I think the squad needs to be activated, but you can set their schedule so they are off duty.

Strudel Man posted:

Leather is super easy though. Most of it is cheap, far less expensive than cloth. Order 1 of everything and you'll be getting dozens of dozens of bins of cheap leather each year. Or just order max of the cheap 3 and 4 letter leathers like COW and EMU and the price will double from 6 to 12 each, but the shorter names make it easier to read labels.

The degradation isn't a bad thing, really. Have 3 leatherworks and 4 or 5 leatherworkers and you'll soon be making masterwork leather clothing for all. High quality clothing provides slightly more protection than standard quality clothing. So even if you decide to go with armor, it is a good idea to keep a few leatherworkers constantly grinding out more to get higher quality stuff until everyone is wearing nothing but masterpiece leather.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Don't do what I did once and put every kind of leather on max priority request, though, or else the caravan will fill up ALL of their possible carry capacity with leather and won't bring anything else.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

What's the best way to ensure that your dwarves spar? I've got 2 squads of 2-3 dwarves each and they just do individual combat drills and demonstrations of their novice skills.

spacemanspliff
Jan 12, 2008
One with Lavos and Zohar
I feel a fortress spree coming on. I haven't messed with the latest version because new releases tend to have save corruption issues, but the itch is coming on. I want to finally construct an advanced obsidian casting factory alongside a volcano and build an above-ground Obsidian Block tower that should eventually become fully siege-proof and self-reliant. Then I'll turn off immigrants, seal the doors, and see what happens long-term. :]

One thing has bugged me in recent DF versions. I used to mod dwarves to run faster, but I haven't been able to figure out how to make dwarves walk quickly while hauling a stone no matter what strength or speed properties I change.

spacemanspliff
Jan 12, 2008
One with Lavos and Zohar

Firos posted:

What's the best way to ensure that your dwarves spar? I've got 2 squads of 2-3 dwarves each and they just do individual combat drills and demonstrations of their novice skills.

It can be tricky because there are lots of tweakable things involved.

* They need a big enough room or space that's designated as a Barracks by an appropriate furniture item (you have several options but I use a Weapon Rack)
* You need to make a military squad including all soldiers you want to have train in the room
* Configuring this squad in the Military menu is complicated and can be tricky, there are lots of strange equipment and alert and scheduling options that can take a while to get used to. To get soldiers to train, you just need to open the squads menu (s) and make sure the squad you're trying to get to train is set to the option that mentions Training or Inactivity and that you cancel any active Kill or Move orders they have.
* At the furniture item designating the room you must toggle appropriate options for the squad you created so that they know to store their personal and squad equipment there, and most importantly, to train there
* The space should have weapon and armor racks, chests or bags, cabinets, and should be a safe space to fight in (no hatches or downward staircases--they will fall regularly and eventually get serious injuries)
* At least 5 soldiers to a squad is wise, I prefer to use even numbers so people can pair off easier. 4 or 6 for small squads. 2-3 may be too few for serious training to take place.
* Caveat emptor: I haven't messed with the current version much, but most of this should still be approximately true.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

I've got most of those covered. I just added some coffers and stands to the room with the designated barracks. Also put them all in the same squad. Here's hoping it works!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

At this point, I'd just wait. In my experience, the sparring won't start until everyone has gone past a certain skill threshold in all of the core disciplines.

The relevant weapon skills definitely, but I might even go so far as to suggest stuff like Observer and Student, too. I've personally boosted the growth rates on those so everyone's a novice teacher and a student from all the peer tutoring by the time they earn their unit colors. That might set my own experience off from the rest.

At the very least, lectures and drills aren't the swearword they used to be. They actually do things and contribute skill without taking months and months and months.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 20, 2014

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

spacemanspliff posted:

It can be tricky because there are lots of tweakable things involved.

* They need a big enough room or space that's designated as a Barracks by an appropriate furniture item (you have several options but I use a Weapon Rack)
* You need to make a military squad including all soldiers you want to have train in the room
* Configuring this squad in the Military menu is complicated and can be tricky, there are lots of strange equipment and alert and scheduling options that can take a while to get used to. To get soldiers to train, you just need to open the squads menu (s) and make sure the squad you're trying to get to train is set to the option that mentions Training or Inactivity and that you cancel any active Kill or Move orders they have.
* At the furniture item designating the room you must toggle appropriate options for the squad you created so that they know to store their personal and squad equipment there, and most importantly, to train there
* The space should have weapon and armor racks, chests or bags, cabinets, and should be a safe space to fight in (no hatches or downward staircases--they will fall regularly and eventually get serious injuries)
* At least 5 soldiers to a squad is wise, I prefer to use even numbers so people can pair off easier. 4 or 6 for small squads. 2-3 may be too few for serious training to take place.
* Caveat emptor: I haven't messed with the current version much, but most of this should still be approximately true.

If you really want them to train, make squads of 2 and assign the lot of them to the same room. Dwarves will only spar in pairs, but at the same time squads do not need dedicated rooms of their own,; they are perfectly content to share.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Also unrelated, but no one seems to want to dump anything any more :confused:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Angela Christine posted:

Leather is super easy though. Most of it is cheap, far less expensive than cloth. Order 1 of everything and you'll be getting dozens of dozens of bins of cheap leather each year.
Order? If your armor isn't locally sourced, it's garbage. :colbert:

Besides, I'm playing masterwork. It's all just leather.

Firos posted:

Also unrelated, but no one seems to want to dump anything any more :confused:
Does the dump zone still exist, and do they have access to it?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
My grampa said that his engineering career consisted of a lot of autocad and liquor.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

amuayse posted:

My grampa said that his engineering career consisted of a lot of autocad and liquor.

Umm... Does he play dwarf fortress?

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

CrazySalamander posted:

Umm... Does he play dwarf fortress?

He's talking about booze and engineering. Who cares?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Bah. I thought I had a good solution in putting everyone into squads ordered to train every third month, and free time the other two. But even in their free time, they're mostly packed into the barracks doing individual combat drills instead of their other duties.

Who'd have thought that "everybody wear basic armor and train in combat periodically" would be such a headache.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

Does the dump zone still exist, and do they have access to it?

It does and they do. Yet my dwarves refuse to move anything I dump.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
You could check your orders menu to see if you have accidentally messed up your garbage settings.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Strudel Man posted:

It would be nice to be able to designate a legendary janitordwarf that just goes around cleaning up vomit, blood, and discarded items.

And then you get the statues and engravings that would eventually be made in his honor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I kind of wish upset dwarves could express themselves through intentional incompetence in their jobs or something along those lines. Grumpy cook making bad tasting meals on purpose, spiteful carvings, things like that.

So the janitordwarf could basically become a janitor in SS13.