Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

SebAndSeb posted:

You could try this?

I once saw a book that was a directory of classical music listed with this notation and from what I remember it worked pretty well.

Thanks, that worked amazingly well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Tenterhooks posted:

Oh that's neat. I wish more people would post themselves humming or whistling a melody because it's billion times easier than trying to decipher a typed-out "DUMMMM, DE, DE, DDUUUMMMM, DUMMMMM, BABABA-DUMMMMM".
good idea, added to the OP

Grishka
Jun 4, 2010

With the mic in my hands
I'm a bad man
Even in a fight with the hands
I'm a bad man
Livin in the streets all my life
I'm a bad man
I'm a bad man
I'm a bad man
So I've been trying to find a particular song that I listened to a lot in high school. I know it's from the band Starmarket but it starts off with this very quiet guitar before going full boar into the song. The lyrics are something like "it's been a long long time I'll take you for a ride, it's been a long time to avoid it so what should be rewarded?" Or something sounding like that. I've tried googling for the past couple hours and my brain is kind of numb.

massecurr
Dec 15, 2012
I'm trying to find a song I heard on Salty Bet of all places, it was called "Hang 'em" something I cant remember the last word of the song title, it had a darker tone to it and didn't have lyrics I hope that's enough to go on.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Grishka posted:

So I've been trying to find a particular song that I listened to a lot in high school. I know it's from the band Starmarket but it starts off with this very quiet guitar before going full boar into the song. The lyrics are something like "it's been a long long time I'll take you for a ride, it's been a long time to avoid it so what should be rewarded?" Or something sounding like that. I've tried googling for the past couple hours and my brain is kind of numb.

If you're sure about the band, you'd probably have better luck going to Amazon or something like Allmusic and just listening to all the song samples from each album to see what sounds familiar rather than Googling lyrics.

massecurr posted:

I'm trying to find a song I heard on Salty Bet of all places, it was called "Hang 'em" something I cant remember the last word of the song title, it had a darker tone to it and didn't have lyrics I hope that's enough to go on.

Probably Wumpscut - Hang Him Higher, which actually does have lyrics, but Saltybet usually uses instrumental versions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it7Ge3pCesE

massecurr
Dec 15, 2012

Erebus posted:

Probably Wumpscut - Hang Him Higher, which actually does have lyrics, but Saltybet usually uses instrumental versions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it7Ge3pCesE

That's the song, thanks, I've been trying to track it down since I first heard it

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
A hard-rock, down-tuned, stonerish band, lead-singer had a muffy beard and a pompadour, song title was something along the lines of "Bury Me in the Pines". Quite deep, low, clean vocals, video had them playing in some forest and probably near an abandoned house. I think the singer died. The band was relatively famous, I think.

EDIT: It was Woods of Ypres: I was Buried in Mount Pleasant Cemetery.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Does anyone know where this is from? It sounds Hanz Zimmerman-y, but I can't quite place it.

Thanks.

/edit: got it, it was
Audiomachine - 11 Days In Hell
. I was way off with my Zimmerman guess. Oh well. v:v:v

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 12, 2014

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014
http://www.twitch.tv/zlive/b/577778569

Can anybody tell me what's playing at 2:14:00? It's instrumental so I don't have anything to go on.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

So I heard a song at the bar the other night. I figure someone put in money and put on Johnny Cash because there were two or three of these in a row.

I think it was Cash's version of Cocaine Blues but I couldn't hear any audience shouting or anything, so I don't think it was a live recording from Folsom or another prison show. And the last line in each verse had backup singers (male) join in singing it.And Johnny's voice isn't cracking like it does during the prison shows.

Does anyone know what recording this is from? It isn't any of Cash's live ones that I can find and it isn't his studio version of Transfusion Blues. Or maybe it is a different artist that I just thought was Cash due to...well, being in a loud bar?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

notthegoatseguy posted:

I don't think it was a live recording from Folsom
You think wrong: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_Folsom_Prison#Track_listing :v:

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Long shot, but I've had this stuck in my head for about 6 weeks and not been able to figure it out. Hip hop, or maybe an R&B track (but probably not), which has a really minimal beat that's exactly the same melody as the backing vocals in this Count Bass D track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlX1h5uiCUM&t=26s

only instead of being a sample of that, it's played on a keyboard. Maybe shifted down a semitone, possibly to a minor key? Not sure. Has the same kinda feel as some of Nas's Lost Tapes, but it's not that.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
So I'm not looking for a song so much as I am for an artist. Specifically, a hip-hop DJ who does similar stuff to guys like Wax Tailor or RJD2 but notably incorporates more rock elements into his music than either of those two. Also, the stage name he goes by is his initials and last name, so it's something like T. J. Howards, though I know that's not actually it.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Can anyone identify the song at the end of the Bridget Jones's Diary trailer? From 1:16 onwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQdy98B1nf0

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
This is a problem I've been trying to back trace for years now. There was a latinish jazz piece I played back in high school and I'm desperately trying to recall. All I've got on it is that it was: A. Latin/Jazz. B. That it started in 7/8 time for a few measures. and C. That it switched to 6/8 for the main body of the piece.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

ikanreed posted:

This is a problem I've been trying to back trace for years now. There was a latinish jazz piece I played back in high school and I'm desperately trying to recall. All I've got on it is that it was: A. Latin/Jazz. B. That it started in 7/8 time for a few measures. and C. That it switched to 6/8 for the main body of the piece.

Malagueña? Not exactly sure if it starts in 7/8, but it definitely has some funky timing and eventually goes to a triple meter. It's also a common thing high school bands will play.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
What's the song that starts playing at 1:03 in this programme? http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0276q28/human-universe-4-a-place-in-space-and-time

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Shazam picked it up, it's this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0WNbm1jz6A

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

Are Friends Electric by Tubeway Army. Also sampled by the Sugababes in Freak Like Me which was a pretty big hit, in case you've maybe heard that before.

EDIT: Beaten. Ah well, you might dig the Sugababes.

Tenterhooks fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 29, 2014

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Tenterhooks posted:

Are Friends Electric by Tubeway Army. Also sampled by the Sugababes in Freak Like Me which was a pretty big hit, in case you've maybe heard that before.

EDIT: Beaten. Ah well, you might dig the Sugababes.
Cheers guys, it was the Sugababes I was thinking of. That was annoying me on so many levels - not only could I not remember what it was, I knew it was a song I didn't even like. Plus I thought it was something from the late 90s, so I was confused as to why he'd picked it to illustrate 1979. I'd not heard the Tubeway Army song before but I quite like it so I'd call that a postive outcome.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

gandlethorpe posted:

Malagueña? Not exactly sure if it starts in 7/8, but it definitely has some funky timing and eventually goes to a triple meter. It's also a common thing high school bands will play.

No, but that made me realize all sorts of attributes I can narrow down with:
A. It's a big band piece.
B. It's really uptempo.
C. It's brass heavy.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

ikanreed posted:

No, but that made me realize all sorts of attributes I can narrow down with:
A. It's a big band piece.
B. It's really uptempo.
C. It's brass heavy.

Maybe this list will help.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Ok guys! You've never let me down! So this song is an uptempo party/club song of the electro variety. The main bit is what I assume is a flute but it sounds like a chirping bird and it really builds up an epic drop. Anyone?

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
I know this is a bit white of me, but what't the classic hip hop song with the midi horn sound like "one....... two, three, four" and the sample of the guy going y-y-y-y-y-y-y-yyea. I don't remember any of the verses or anything, i think its what yo mtv raps used as the base for their intro but I've heard it a lot elsewhere.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Rubies posted:

I know this is a bit white of me, but what't the classic hip hop song with the midi horn sound like "one....... two, three, four" and the sample of the guy going y-y-y-y-y-y-y-yyea. I don't remember any of the verses or anything, i think its what yo mtv raps used as the base for their intro but I've heard it a lot elsewhere.
This one maybe? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG9ZWUitFik I barely remember Yo MTV Raps, so I'm just guessing but it has horns and counting at least.

bog savant
Mar 15, 2008

unending immaturity
Here's a hard one I can't get out of my head: uptempo electronic dance song with a big synthy bassline, the bass reminds me a bit of the Ghostbusters song in some way...same kind of character. The only vocals are a guy saying "Do it" very low and saturated in the background...only other thing I can remember is that it wasn't polished at all, the whole thing was very static-ey and underproduced. Thank you!

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

Pilchenstein posted:

This one maybe? I barely remember Yo MTV Raps, so I'm just guessing but it has horns and counting at least.

Thanks but that's not it, it's even older than DJ Kool, prob mid or late 80's. The counting isn't a part of the song in words, I just meant the number of beats. It's it's like POW...[drums]...POW POW POW...[drums & chopped up yeaheahyeahyeah sample]...((repeat))

Edit: I tried to play it on guitar, which is an instrument I don't know how to use so it's not the right notes, just the pattern. The things you hear are actaully made with an 80s sample of some horns:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0soaPZUSTTE

Rubies fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 5, 2014

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
900 Number by 45 King?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__0Lv8W3svE

It was sampled a lot

http://www.whosampled.com/The-45-King/The-900-Number/

Jhoge
Sep 10, 2008
Looking for a song I heard on hype machine's popular section within the last four months. Had male vocals and riffed off of Cher's "Believe" in the chorus with a repeated "Do you believe in life after love?" but the rest of the words were different and the background synths were less dancy and more ambient. For some reason it's stuck in my head now and I'd love to figure it out.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

Not it, thanks though. The one I'm thinking of is super popular, it was on lots of peoples party mixes in the early 2000s and I don't think it's gone away yet. It's sometimes used as an example of flat top & lines rap culture but not in a stupid way (like ice ice baby or something). I dont know hip hop history that well, but i think it probably came out way after the real early stuff like grandmaster flash, but before dre/biggie and all the more polished stuff. So it's a really clean, digital, non-LP sample but old enough to be unmistakably old school.

It's killing me because it's one of those ones everyone knows, but I'm really bad at explaining it.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Since there's not a Beatles' thread anymore this seems like the best place to ask:

Am I crazy or wasn't there a video clip of them jamming You've Really Got A Hold On Me in the studio? Can't find it for the life of me.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I woke up a couple days ago thinking of a song I downloaded like 14 years ago and haven't heard since.

I got it from BearShare or some other lovely sharing program, so obviously it was named incorrectly as "Gangster Trippin" by Fatboy Slim. But it was not "Gangster Trippin" by Fatboy Slim.

But it is a techno/house/whatever song with really hard beats. The key part of the song are the vocals. Nobody sings, but it's meant to sound like a car jacking, with the guy saying things like "Bitch, get out of the fuckin' car," the woman saying something like "Get the gently caress away from me," and then the guy saying "Oh, gently caress me? Nah, gently caress you bitch" followed by two gun shots. It just repeats this audio throughout the song.

It's not necessarily a good song. But it's just stuck in my head and I need it out.

Any ideas?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Paperback Writer posted:

Since there's not a Beatles' thread anymore this seems like the best place to ask:

Am I crazy or wasn't there a video clip of them jamming You've Really Got A Hold On Me in the studio? Can't find it for the life of me.

You aren't crazy. It's from Let It Be about 33 minutes in.

Kurash
May 12, 2008

Related to Beatles-chat, I heard a really bad-rear end song on my community radio which turned out to be a cover of Hey Bulldog after I googled a few half-remembered lines. I searched all over google, wiki and youtube to find out who recorded the version I heard... with no luck.

The cover itself was no-nonsense modern rock with a horn section that was very prominent. The horns came in pretty heavy towards the end with the solo/outro; I'd hesitate to call it ska just because of the brass however. Since it was on the community radio my best bet would be to just contact the DJ that was on at the time -- which is still not a guarantee. This was in Canada so if the song was from an obscure Canadian band that might explain it's elusiveness.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

STiL. posted:

Related to Beatles-chat, I heard a really bad-rear end song on my community radio which turned out to be a cover of Hey Bulldog after I googled a few half-remembered lines. I searched all over google, wiki and youtube to find out who recorded the version I heard... with no luck.

The cover itself was no-nonsense modern rock with a horn section that was very prominent. The horns came in pretty heavy towards the end with the solo/outro; I'd hesitate to call it ska just because of the brass however. Since it was on the community radio my best bet would be to just contact the DJ that was on at the time -- which is still not a guarantee. This was in Canada so if the song was from an obscure Canadian band that might explain it's elusiveness.

Post results if the DJ knows.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Okay this might be a bit of a long shot. I'm looking for an "outsider art" track I've come across a few times. The artist was British and released material in the early 80s. The song I'm thinking of is somewhat reminiscent of Bowie's "sound and vision". It's on youtube, and the album cover features something like a Medieval plague scene with dancing skeletons.

Minimum Syntaxing
Oct 29, 2008

He looks white, but he's the son of a black man!
I've had this one song pop up in the back of my head once in a while for a few years now.

It was some Lo-Fi Indy-ish song a friend linked me 2-3+ years ago, could be older than that. It had some midi trumpets, maybe played along with a kid's xylophone or something. Pretty sparse in the instruments department, the only other thing being the guy singing.
I think the album cover might have had a creamy yellow color.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Hip hop track, hardcore/gangsta stuff, has gunshots in the beat during the hook. I think it was a guy from Philly, but could def. be wrong on that. Came out earlier than 2011. Video is shot at night. About all I can remember...

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So I was just watching the video for Justice's On 'n' On, which reminded me of another video I'd seen several years back. It had a similar vibe visually, with a camera moving at a steady pace through various visual elements. I vaguely remember pyramids and swans being part of the visual motif, and I think "swan" might have been in the band name? I might be hallucinating that part, though. It wasn't Swans, obv. I want to say it was something in the neighborhood of neo-psychedelia/stoner rock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Allen Wren posted:

So I was just watching the video for Justice's On 'n' On, which reminded me of another video I'd seen several years back. It had a similar vibe visually, with a camera moving at a steady pace through various visual elements. I vaguely remember pyramids and swans being part of the visual motif, and I think "swan" might have been in the band name? I might be hallucinating that part, though. It wasn't Swans, obv. I want to say it was something in the neighborhood of neo-psychedelia/stoner rock?

Well, there's Billy Corgan's band Zwan, though I don't know of any music videos with pyramids that they did.

Then there's the video for Seven Nation Army, which has nothing to do with swans but is similar to that Justice video in terms of constant forward camera movement through pyramid shapes. Not really psychedelia, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J2QdDbelmY