Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
If a certain level has you down, there's no shame in dropping to Easy to learn the fight then re-attempting on Normal or above. I replayed the first 3 or so missions a few times before I progressed into the meat of the game, it definitely helped with recognizing blunt(blockable) vs edged(must dodge) attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Hello thread, please enjoy this exciting new Sonic Boom screenshot:

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem
Well, no question about it now, this is going to be some game of the year poo poo we will be playing. Day one buy.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Why at no point during development did a head of the department walk into the room say "ok here's what we're going to do Sonic dies at the end of this game." Then it would sell as the game that killed Sonic, rather than just being known as the game that killed Sonic.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Nolgthorn posted:

Why at no point during development did a head of the department walk into the room say "ok here's what we're going to do Sonic dies at the end of this game." Then it would sell as the game that killed Sonic, rather than just being known as the game that killed Sonic.

After everything sonic fans and kids have put up with to this point you think this is the game that will kill sonic?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nolgthorn posted:

If dying at the end of Sonic '06 didn't kill him, what makes you think this will?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If dying at the end of Sonic '06 didn't kill him, what makes you think this will?

Sonic 06 still sold okay, I think it even got a few decent reviews. I can't imagine either of those factors will apply to this game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Isn't the actual Sonic Team making an as-of-yet unrevealed Sonic game while some B-team is making this?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Policenaut posted:

Isn't the actual Sonic Team making an as-of-yet unrevealed Sonic game while some B-team is making this?

Yeah, Sonic Team is making their own multi-platform Sonic game right now.

Sonic Boom is its own separate thing and was designed as part of a brand relaunch for younger audiences, it's basically a licensed cartoon tie-in game. It's being developed by a bunch of ex-Naughty Dog/Insomniac dues, which explains why it looks like a bad Ratchet and Clank reskin.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
Smash brothers wii u direct coming. 11pm 23rd October UK/12am 24th October Europe. Elsewhere I don't know or really care

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Shelf Adventure posted:

Smash brothers wii u direct coming. 11pm 23rd October UK/12am 24th October Europe. Elsewhere I don't know or really care

Tune in for a live-stream event on October 23 at 3 p.m. PT / 6 p.m. ET. We will look at 50 new things in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, which launches on November 21. Twitch.tv/Nintendo

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

I've finally scraped together enough points for my £5 off DPP code thing (curse you, buying Mario Kart DLC when logged in as my wife :argh: ).

Do I put it towards Shovel Knight (apparently out next month in the EU) or do I cancel my Bayonetta 2 preorder and get it online, paying £5 extra (£50 rather than £40, but with the £5 off) but having the convenience of Bayonetta 1 and 2 being always on my WiiU and getting another buttload of points that I can put towards, say, Shovel Knight?

Am I basically just running around in circles here???

Gaming is hard these days :corsair:.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Hello thread, please enjoy this exciting new Sonic Boom screenshot:

What the sparkling blue poo poo am I even looking at

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Nintendo did consider a 3D Metroid game on the N64 but I had no idea they actually got to an alpha state.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Looper posted:

What the sparkling blue poo poo am I even looking at

a water balloon

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Sonic 06 still sold okay, I think it even got a few decent reviews. I can't imagine either of those factors will apply to this game.

Sonic Boom will likely not be very good, but there's no way in hell it's going to he 06 bad.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

James Woods Fan posted:

Wonderful 101 is both fun and frustrating. I am learning as a I go and it's pretty good.

I bought Wonderful 101 at release and it didn't click at all, but after playing a whole lot of the Bayonetta 2 demo I decided to give it another try this weekend and holy crap am I hooked. Combat is super responsive and fun - I haven't really had any trouble drawing the shapes out on the touch screen. I'm not sure why I had a problem with it the first time around. It's a like a roller-coaster ride of set pieces and boss fights with a campy plot and excellent presentation. My only complaint is that the camera can sometimes lead me off a ledge if I'm not sure where I should be going and the segments that are only on the gamepad are annoying. It's a steal at whatever bargain bin price it's available for these days.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

citizenlowell posted:

I bought Wonderful 101 at release and it didn't click at all, but after playing a whole lot of the Bayonetta 2 demo I decided to give it another try this weekend and holy crap am I hooked. Combat is super responsive and fun - I haven't really had any trouble drawing the shapes out on the touch screen. I'm not sure why I had a problem with it the first time around. It's a like a roller-coaster ride of set pieces and boss fights with a campy plot and excellent presentation. My only complaint is that the camera can sometimes lead me off a ledge if I'm not sure where I should be going and the segments that are only on the gamepad are annoying. It's a steal at whatever bargain bin price it's available for these days.

You really shouldn't be drawing the shapes using the touch screen in normal combat.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Andrast posted:

You really shouldn't be drawing the shapes using the touch screen in normal combat.

It's worked so far. I do go back and forth between using the screen and the right stick, which I'm having more trouble with than the screen.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

citizenlowell posted:

It's worked so far. I do go back and forth between using the screen and the right stick, which I'm having more trouble with than the screen.

stop doing this, it's going to completely gimp you later on when you need to draw quickly. Try to think of it as fighting game imputs.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Which means use the right stick to draw shapes, it's a lot more intuitive than it sounds. You can also hold L while drawing to make the wonder liner go faster.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Yeah, it's been said before, but if you think of them like Street Fighter rather than "drawing" something you don't even need to think about it.

Orientation doesn't matter, so just develop a set motion for each thing.
- quick 360 motion for first
- hold a direction for sword
- hold/release/hold perpendicular direction for gun

...and so on. You don't even need to watch the TV shape to see how it's going, you just do the motion and it works.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

axleblaze posted:

Sonic Boom will likely not be very good, but there's no way in hell it's going to he 06 bad.

My point was that 06 still made money even though it was terrible, this game won't even do that. (The 3DS version might, though, so I guess it's a moot point.)

The demo I played featured some of the same "clip through the floor and die for no reason" bugs as 06, incidentally. Sega wasn't letting people record any video, either.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Electromax posted:

Yeah, it's been said before, but if you think of them like Street Fighter rather than "drawing" something you don't even need to think about it.

Orientation doesn't matter, so just develop a set motion for each thing.
- quick 360 motion for first
- hold a direction for sword
- hold/release/hold perpendicular direction for gun

...and so on. You don't even need to watch the TV shape to see how it's going, you just do the motion and it works.

Well, since the consensus is that I've been doing it wrong I guess I'll practice using the stick.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

It's ok-- the only thing you're doing wrong is playing W101.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kaubocks posted:

It's ok-- the only thing you're doing wrong is playing W101.

This is objectively wrong. :colbert:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

citizenlowell posted:

Well, since the consensus is that I've been doing it wrong I guess I'll practice using the stick.

If you find the game less fun with the right stick feel free to switch back to the touch pad, because you were apparently doing fine with it and people go crazy when somebody mentions they use the touch pad.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

If you find the game less fun with the right stick feel free to switch back to the touch pad, because you were apparently doing fine with it and people go crazy when somebody mentions they use the touch pad.

The problem with the touch pad is that when the game starts ramping up in difficulty using the touchpad becomes too slow and he isn't going to have a good time. At that point it's going to be hard to get used using the stick.

Getting used to the stick early just saves some headache later down the road.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Andrast posted:

The problem with the touch pad is that when the game starts ramping up in difficulty using the touchpad becomes too slow and he isn't going to have a good time. At that point it's going to be hard to get used using the stick.

Getting used to the stick early just saves some headache later down the road.

Let the dude play the game and make that decision for himself. It's really weird to tell someone they are playing the game incorrectly and make a prediction that they are going to stop enjoying the game in the future because they are playing the game incorrectly.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I uh... my brain somehow made choices that resulted in missing all Sonic games past the age of Sonic 1 & 2 must have been a kind of self-preservation instinct.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
There have been some quite good Sonic games made after Sonic 2.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Yeah Sonic 3 & Knuckles is boss.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Generations was at least OK.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think if you get Colours/Generations/Racing Transformed you've basically played all the good Sonic games made in the past 20 years

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Help Im Alive posted:

I think if you get Colours/Generations/Racing Transformed you've basically played all the good Sonic games made in the past 20 years

Sweet!

Man I am so glad I got Hyrule Warriors because I needed something to fill the increasingly frantic wait for Bayoetta 2 to come out. HW is friggin' nuts. I love the incidental dialog. There's a scene where Zelda is gonna go do a thing and Impa says "It's dangerous to go alone. Take me!" and I was like "yeah this is alright."

Of course Yahtzee hated it.

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
Hello fellow Wii U owning goons! :)

There's been something bugging me about playing virtual console games on the Wii U. It's probably already been mentioned in this thread, but... :effort:

I've been playing Super Mario World, Super Metroid, and EarthBound and there is a VERY NOTICEABLE LAG between what is being displayed on the pad and what is being displayed on my television. I've been playing SMW since I was wearing short pants; I've probably played through it thirty times since it was released in the early nineties. I know every nook, cranny, and trick a person can know in that game, so you can imagine my frustration when I'm just not timing my jumps right, running into enemies, falling out the sky, and generally just making an rear end of myself trying to keep that Italian plumber alive. I switch to looking at the pad rather than my television, and the difference is like night and day. Suddenly I'm a pro again!

I usually play these classic games with a Wii U Pro Controller. I've tried going in to the controller settings and turning the pad display off, but this doesn't seem to help any.

I was wondering if this is a common "feature" of the Wii U or if it has something to do with the way my television set up. My Wii U is plugged directly in to the television set through a HDMI port. I have game mode enabled on my television. I feel like I'm running out of options here.

Thanks for any suggestions/comments. Sorry if it's been covered before.

Console Role Player fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 21, 2014

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

I found Advance 1 and 2 and both the Rush games to at least be worth playing. Unleashed also has it's moments of brilliance.

I would also argue that the Adventure games were pretty good for their time but have just aged terribly.

The rest are garbage though.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 21, 2014

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Console Role Player posted:

There's been something bugging me about playing virtual console games on the Wii U. It's probably already been mentioned in this thread, but... :effort:

I've been playing Super Mario World, Super Metroid, and EarthBound and there is a VERY NOTICEABLE LAG between what is being displayed on the pad and what is being displayed on my television. I've been playing SMW since I was wearing short pants; I've probably played through it thirty times since it was released in the early nineties. I know every nook, cranny, and trick a person can know in that game, so you can imagine my frustration when I'm just not timing my jumps right, running into enemies, falling out the sky, and generally just making an rear end of myself trying to keep that Italian plumber alive. I switch to looking at the pad rather than my television, and the difference is like night and day. Suddenly I'm a pro again!

I usually play these classic games with a Wii U Pro Controller. I've tried going in to the controller settings and turning the pad display off, but this doesn't seem to help any.

I was wondering if this is a common "feature" of the Wii U or if it has something to do with the way my television set up. My Wii U is plugged directly in to the television set through a HDMI port. I have game mode enabled on my television. I feel like I'm running out of options here.

Most TVs these days have a GAME mode. Put it on that and you should be golden.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Sonic Adventure is one of those games like True Crime: Streets of LA where it just tried so hard to do so many different things and as a result it's not good at any of them-- but goddamn it's so cute for trying. I can't help but enjoy it for that. Adventure 2 is good because of City Escape and the Biolizard fight theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Console Role Player posted:

Your television is doing post-processing on the image which slows things down a lot. Make sure the Wii U is set to your television's native resolution, turn off any features on the TV that are supposed to "enhance" the picture, maybe set it to "game mode" if that's an option, and that should improve things unless you've got an especially bad television.

• Locked thread