Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
After working on this guy for what seemed like an eternity... he's finally done.

Apologies for the lovely cellphone pic.

Also, unfortunately I think I went a little too heavy on the topcoat as he's a little twinkly... :(

While I do have the Sazabi ver. ka in my backlog... after this beast, I'm just going to take it easy and build the Gundam X. Then I'll probably tackle the Unicorn or Geara Doga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Of all the pictures from today's club meeting,

this one amused me enough to share. They just look so confused by the X kits. :allears:

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Of all the pictures from today's club meeting,

this one amused me enough to share. They just look so confused by the X kits. :allears:

In their defense, the articulation on the old NG Gundam X's satellite cannon fins confused the gently caress out of me when I first built it. I don't know if the modern kits make any more sense.

I really wish Bandai would release all the X suits in HG or better. I don't wanna have to assemble all of my old 90's no-grades....

At least they've expanded to Airmaster.

Suzaku fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 20, 2014

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
After finishing my Beargguy the other day I'm gonna start my next kit in a day or two, i've got the F91 and the Mr. Ral Gouf which do you guys think I should build next?

:toot:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Pyronic posted:

After finishing my Beargguy the other day I'm gonna start my next kit in a day or two, i've got the F91 and the Mr. Ral Gouf which do you guys think I should build next?

:toot:

Neither, get a Neo Zeong like a real man.

Shinde
Mar 19, 2009
Finally got around to getting an LED to replace the light bulb Bandai didn't include in the re-release of the 1/60 Gelgoog. They still included the parts to make the battery holder (which takes AA batteries), as well as the metal contacts-- so why not go all out?

I realized later that the mono-eye piece is just barely not vertically-centered, and I had glued it on upside-down (it's more toward the top in the first picture there). Whoops. After fixing it, I test-fitted the front of the head and understood why you would want the mono-eye lower:

The front of the head is, itself, lower. (Sorry for the lower picture quality here and in the next picture)

Also, there is a mechanism that allows the mono-eye to move left to right via a peg on the back of the head. I forgot to photograph it, but essentially, the peg is connected to the entire mono-eye assembly. It pokes out the back of the head.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Oh no. I am falling down the rabbit hole. I have purchased my first Gunpla.

HG 1/144 Gundam Mk-II (Build Fighters).

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Shinde posted:

Finally got around to getting an LED to replace the light bulb Bandai didn't include in the re-release of the 1/60 Gelgoog.

Very nice work, it looks great. I always wanted to get myself a 1/60 HY2M Rick Dom just by virtue of it being the 'ultimate' Dom kit, but the price just keeps growing. But all that beautiful LED work. :smith:

Also, very nice setup on your TV stand. I can't make out individual kits, but it's a good layout.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

At the very least, you can take comfort in the fact that you haven't fallen down the Unicorn rabbit hole. And with that said, I had a busy weekend.

Plan B psychoframe finished, Silver Phenex touchup work and Armed Armor work done, Tamiya clear blue is loving wizardry. Dammit Bandai, just do a regular green frame Norn release already so I don't have to buy the web exclusive. :suicide:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

That's one of the worst HGBF kits you could have bought.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

That's one of the worst HGBF kits you could have bought.

How come?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

I think it's because it's based on the old Gundam Mk. II mold from the early 2000's. Which isn't a bad mold, mind you, but it's not as well engineered as more current stuff. Same deal with the Qubeley Papillion.

Or at least, that's what I remember people saying whenever the Build Mk. II and the Papillion have been brought up before.

On that note, I've got an old Titan's Colors Gundam Mk. II laying around that I haven't started on yet... would that be compatible with a Build Booster Mk. II? Or does the Build Gundam Mk. II's back differ just enough that I would have to make a few adjustments to make the booster unit fit?

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 20, 2014

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

It's based off a pretty old mold of the Mk II if I remember correctly.

E: beaten, but the best BF HG is Miss Sazabi in my opinion. I love that thing.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

I think it's because it's based on the old Gundam Mk. II mold from the early 2000's.

Forget "based on", it's literally the 2002 HGUC Gundam mkII with some parts and stickers to turn it into the Build mkII. Yes, the Build Booster will fit right onto it.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Don't let everyone rain on your parade about the Mk-II. Theres a guy just above you working on an old kit and having fun, and I know theres a couple other guys working on some older kits on here.

If this is your first kit, lets be honest: its going to turn out crappy anyways. Nobody starts off a gundam meister and we all have some unpanel-lined ugly seamed skeletons in our closet.

What really matters though is making the tiny robots you like, and if thats the Mk-II good for you. Take some pictures when youre done and post em.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Thinkin about the Christmas Underwear Buildathon, I might not do Nu vKa just yet. I might take that money and get RX-78-2 2.0 and Char's Zaku 2.0 and double-dip on suits for the first time so that they can look baller on the shelf with my Origin volumes. If the RG RX-78-2 wasn't such a loving fragile mess I'd just use my two RGs but I don't want to touch that goddamn thing (Plus Char's Zaku is busy fighting the Neo Zeong).

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Blackchamber posted:

Don't let everyone rain on your parade about the Mk-II. Theres a guy just above you working on an old kit and having fun, and I know theres a couple other guys working on some older kits on here.

If this is your first kit, lets be honest: its going to turn out crappy anyways. Nobody starts off a gundam meister and we all have some unpanel-lined ugly seamed skeletons in our closet.

What really matters though is making the tiny robots you like, and if thats the Mk-II good for you. Take some pictures when youre done and post em.

Personally, I agree with this. There's nothing more frustrating than asking the thread, "Hey is there a kit of [insert mobile suit here]?" and having everyone tell you, "Don't bother with that kit, it's garbage compared to the stuff Bandai's putting out now." Yeah, that's nice and all, but maybe I don't want the stuff Bandai's putting out now, I want [insert mobile suit here]. Just because something's old doesn't necessarily mean it's garbage.

BlitzBlast posted:

Forget "based on", it's literally the 2002 HGUC Gundam mkII with some parts and stickers to turn it into the Build mkII. Yes, the Build Booster will fit right onto it.

Excellent. Back to Amazon.com. :shepspends:

Literally The Worst posted:

Thinkin about the Christmas Underwear Buildathon

Wait, what now? :stare:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
The Build Booster on that kit is rear end, too. There's no color separation, the seams have terrible placement, there's loving mold lines, and they seriously could have done way better. I'll have a more in-depth after action report once I'm finished with it.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Yea that was the frustrating thing I didn't realize also. I figured the build fighters kits would all be the newest of the new and bandai would make them really nice since the show is a big drat commercial.

You'll still have fun building it and probably won't notice the difference until you build a few better kits so glhf.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah the Build Strike's booster is also pretty lovely.

The best Build Fighters kit is Mr. Beargguy imo.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

W.T. Fits posted:

Wait, what now? :stare:

My roommate is going to be gone for a week and I'll have Christmas off so I'm planning on sitting in my underwear any day I don't have to go to work and building plastic robots.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
That Kotobukiya Muv Luv robot is even cheaper now.

http://www.amazon.com/Kotobukiya-Shiranui-Vanguard-Version-Alternative/dp/B00BCAZAKM/

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

Personally, I agree with this. There's nothing more frustrating than asking the thread, "Hey is there a kit of [insert mobile suit here]?" and having everyone tell you, "Don't bother with that kit, it's garbage compared to the stuff Bandai's putting out now." Yeah, that's nice and all, but maybe I don't want the stuff Bandai's putting out now, I want [insert mobile suit here]. Just because something's old doesn't necessarily mean it's garbage.

When people ask about kits it would be terrible to withhold an opinion just because it's a negative one. Anyone asking should be on the fence, if you really want something then you should buy it regardless of what the thread says.

That being said, I feel bad for the guy because he didn't ask whether it was a good buy, he said "Hey guys I just bought this thing."

The better response would have been to say "that's awesome man, just so you know that kit is mostly a re-issue of an older model which can take a little more work than newer kits, so if you have questions starting out feel free to post em" or something like that, so he knows what's up without getting all :negative: about it.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Metal detail-up parts and Alclad metallizer rule.

(not yet final, the beam rifle still needs its detailing, and I'm still waiting on an action base and larger pin vise bit to drill out the vulcans and replace those with metal parts before topcoating)

MJP fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 20, 2014

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Man, you're making me want to get a Delta Plus. Where'd you buy the metal detail parts from?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Koopa Kid posted:

When people ask about kits it would be terrible to withhold an opinion just because it's a negative one. Anyone asking should be on the fence, if you really want something then you should buy it regardless of what the thread says.

That being said, I feel bad for the guy because he didn't ask whether it was a good buy, he said "Hey guys I just bought this thing."

The better response would have been to say "that's awesome man, just so you know that kit is mostly a re-issue of an older model which can take a little more work than newer kits, so if you have questions starting out feel free to post em" or something like that, so he knows what's up without getting all :negative: about it.

Eh, I'm not really :negative: about it. Like Blackchamber said, it's hardly gonna be this massively detailed display piece. I just want some plastic mechas for my goonshelf.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Koopa Kid posted:

Yeah the Build Strike's booster is also pretty lovely.

The best Build Fighters kit is Mr. Beargguy imo.

I like the Build Booster. Though, granted, it is insanely sticker-heavy though.

edit: I don't suppose anyone knows the release date of Kotobukiya's new anime version of it's Tsugumori kit? Can't find anything more specific than "October".

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 20, 2014

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Eh, I'm not really :negative: about it. Like Blackchamber said, it's hardly gonna be this massively detailed display piece. I just want some plastic mechas for my goonshelf.

Fair enough. It was just a fair warning to you that the Build Mk.II is by no means the standard for HG Gundams, just in case you started to wonder why the hell the chest vents and V-fin are yellow stickers and not separate pieces.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I like the Build Booster. Though, granted, it is insanely sticker-heavy though.

Yeah I'm not a sticker fan so it was pretty brutal for me. Plus even if you apply all the stickers it's still not quite show-accurate colour wise, which seems hilarious to me. Also the big ol' seam right down the middle of the cockpit.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Sounds like a good time to get a basic set of paint markers. I use my Gundam Markers exclusively to replace lovely stickers and they work pretty well.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Trust me I've got em and I even used them on some parts of the Build Strike but there's waaaaaay too much surface area on the wings of the booster to try markering in white, imo. I have paint and it's not a big deal but the booster was a letdown regardless.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
The correct way to look at it isn't "Build Mk II is one of the worst of the line." Instead, it's "You'll have your Build Mk II, but guess what!? The other models are going to be EVEN MORE AWESOME."

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

A lot of folks in the thread will be like "this is an older model, IT'S loving GARBAGE" whereas a lot of older model kits are perfectly fine.

Except for things like the MG GP02 and ZZ who literally can't hold their accessories.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Some of the No-Grades really are kinda poo poo though.
Fantastic detail on some of them! But quality control is a bit lacking, they only kinda fit together, and you can manage to cut yourself on them, they're so sharp.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

And gently caress the polycops for the Kapool's torso forever. Those things love falling off inside the body.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

SpikeMcclane posted:

The correct way to look at it isn't "Build Mk II is one of the worst of the line." Instead, it's "You'll have your Build Mk II, but guess what!? The other models are going to be EVEN MORE AWESOME."

This is now how I'm totally gonna look at it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

It's always easy to forget that even Bandai's low-end releases are still stupidly good for model kits in general.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

everythingWasBees posted:

Some of the No-Grades really are kinda poo poo though.
Fantastic detail on some of them! But quality control is a bit lacking, they only kinda fit together, and you can manage to cut yourself on them, they're so sharp.

Well yeah, kits from the 90's are almost universally pretty bad... but they also seem to be hard to come by except for the old Wing kits. I was more referring to old HGUC and MGs which are usually just okay at the very worst with a few exceptions here and there.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I want to high-contrast panel line, as in every panel line I make is dark opaque black. How do I go about determining which contours I should panel line and which ones I should leave the gently caress alone? I'm really bad at this kind of thing.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're trying to do, but it sounds like you want dalong style? Just line everything then.

EDIT: Alclad's Spectral Chromatic came in before my metallic green, so I decided to experiment with my DX's solar panels.

It was a huge success, in the dark it's gold but in the light it's as shiny as a chrome finish.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinde
Mar 19, 2009

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Very nice work, it looks great. I always wanted to get myself a 1/60 HY2M Rick Dom just by virtue of it being the 'ultimate' Dom kit, but the price just keeps growing. But all that beautiful LED work. :smith:

Also, very nice setup on your TV stand. I can't make out individual kits, but it's a good layout.

Thanks! I think I posted pictures of my TV stand somewhere in this thread, but I got more kits since then-- my girlfriend and I had a Gunpla-building frenzy over the summer, where we ended up adding about ... oh, 7-8 kits to the arsenal. Here are some updated photos (sorry that the photos vary in quality; I'm getting used to the camera on the LG G3 I got last week):

On the table next to my TV stand: Non-scale Danbooru, 1982 1/100 Zaku I, HGUC V2, MG Guncannon, 1/60 Exia, 1988 1/100 Nu Gundam, 1/144 HG-EW Deathscythe Hell, Guncannon's Core Fighter, and 1/144 HGUC Hyaku-Shiki.

On the TV stand-- top-left: MG Ground-Type Gundam, and the Core Fighter to the MG GP-01Fb, the kit itself I no longer have.

Below-Left: 1/144 HG (not HGUC) Gouf Custom, HGUC Guntank, MG Patlabor Ingram 2 w/ LEDs.

Below-Right: 1/144 ZAKU Warrior, MG God Gundam, MG Unicorn.

Center-Right: HGUC Alex Gundam, SD Alex Gundam, 1988 1/144 Alex Gundam (Can you tell which Gundam I like the most?).

Top-Center: SD GP03S. The Zaku and Gundam heads are toys; you press down, and the mono-eye/Gundam eyes light up. The batteries long died, though, and I've been too lazy to replace them.

On the shelves next to the TV stand: HGBF Gouf R35, HGUC Hi-Nu Gundam, HGUC Zaku I, HGUC GM.

Bonus -- In my office room: MG High Mobility Zaku, MG Alex Gundam. I seriously love the Alex Gundam.

----

Anyway, update time for the Gelgoog: I glued the head pieces together.

I put the sticker on top of the LED so that, even with the light off, the mono-eye was visible.

The LED isn't as visible in the ambient light, but in low-light situations, it's pretty easy to see.

Test-fitting the waist. That thigh gap.

Unrelated: You can barely see it in the last picture, but I've also been playing with perler beads. My girlfriend and I made some custom sprites from Final Fantasy IV (Or, as she puts it, Final Fantasy: The One (Shinde) Likes). Here, we re-made the in-battle dead sprite for Kain with X's over the Dragoon helmet eyes. Haha.

• Locked thread