Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

tuyop posted:

In Canada many of them have the sensor integrated into the pin pad device, so you just tap it on the readout screen. It can be kind of funny since the pads are pretty much identical and the only difference is some say "swipe/insert card" and others say "swipe/insert/tap card" so I end up standing there with my fistful of cards mashing it against the reader until the cashier says something.

They usually look like this, though we have the big explicit sensors with the symbol as well.

Yeah those are the ones that get brought to your table in a restaurant, though they're pretty common everywhere else as well.

I'm still honestly flabbergasted that there's a technological area where Australia isn't 5 years behind everyone else!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Not sure if this was posted here yet but if you were looking for some better backgrounds this site is pretty awesome.

http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper/downloads/rating/iphone/iphone_6/index2.html

It has options for all of the iPhone screens.

That's really cool. Googling (not great) and searching tumblr (oh my god so bad) for "iPhone 6 wallpapers" hasn't yielded the best of results so far. Although http://beeple-crap.com (which I found via tumblr) had some cool stuff that makes for good desktops, only a handful of the pieces there are the right dimensions to fit a high ppi mobile device screen.

Does anyone know of a good iPhone wallpaper stash that features more abstract stuff like what beeple (who's an artist not a wallpaper aggregator, I just like the style) makes? I'm especially down with flat vector art with bright colors and gradients (see http://www.wallpapersource.co/colorful-nexus-5-wallpaper/) or 'low poly' style 3D renders. Interfacelift seems like it's primarily focused on landscape photos.

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.
It trends more towards illustration, but Poolga has a pretty good selection of iPhone wallpapers.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

How do I turn on the send/read a SMS on my Mac thing?
You wait for 8.1

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Depressing Box posted:

It trends more towards illustration, but Poolga has a pretty good selection of iPhone wallpapers.

This is the source of many of my wallpapers. They're all pretty interesting pieces of artwork and nothing is eyerollingly bad.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I bought this one on 9/22 according to Amazon so I've had it for a few weeks now. Charges my 6 stupid fast. Haven't had any problems with it. I think it was one of the highest rated on Amazon so that's why I bought it.

Just to follow up on this. %60 in an hour with streaming music playing while I'm texting back and forth on it. This is a nice improvement.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

So I'm working with a major UK bank and their third-party payments processor just put out a notice about Apple Pay implementation (of the positive kind).

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I'm leaving my current job, and with it goes my paid company phone. I'd like to get an iPhone, which carrier has the best pricing for someone coming with no contract or trade in? My wife will also be on the plan and getting a new phone, if it works out better than her current prepaid Virgin plan w/ busted Evo 3D. I don't mind paying for the phones upfront if it will save me money in the long haul.

Also, is the 6 a big enough improvement over a 5S for the price bump?

Edit: I'm in the NYC area if that makes a difference.

Toebone fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Oct 20, 2014

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

I'd stick with the 5s

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Sticking with the latest hardware is always the best bang for your buck, especially if you want to resell.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
If you already have the 5S you're probably ok just hanging onto it. If you don't have an iPhone yet it would be in your best interest to get the latest hardware.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Toebone posted:

I'm leaving my current job, and with it goes my paid company phone. I'd like to get an iPhone, which carrier has the best pricing for someone coming with no contract or trade in? My wife will also be on the plan and getting a new phone, if it works out better than her current prepaid Virgin plan w/ busted Evo 3D. I don't mind paying for the phones upfront if it will save me money in the long haul.

Also, is the 6 a big enough improvement over a 5S for the price bump?

Edit: I'm in the NYC area if that makes a difference.

Checkout the new ATT non-subscription plans. It's like $40 per device and then a la carte data which is shared.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I just upgraded to an iPhone 6 from a 4S, so now all my old charge cables are useless.

Can I buy cheap cables somewhere and just use them with my old USB-to-outlet adapters?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

triplexpac posted:

I just upgraded to an iPhone 6 from a 4S, so now all my old charge cables are useless.

Can I buy cheap cables somewhere and just use them with my old USB-to-outlet adapters?

Yep.

Beware of the super cheap ones as the chip inside them is of questionable origin and iOS will refuse to charge using them.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The ones from Monoprice are decent.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Anyone ever try those paracord-wrapped cables? Do they fall apart at the lightning plug like the oem apple ones do?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
#c'mon8.1beforelunch

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Feenix posted:

#c'mon8.1beforelunch

Apple likes 10AM PST/1PM EST so I'm going with that

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

xilni posted:

They really do. At least for keynotes and meetings. I have no hard recollection but I want to say I recall FW updates hitting later on occasion. Not sure if those just lagged or if they have no hard and fast timeline.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

various cheeses posted:

Anyone ever try those paracord-wrapped cables? Do they fall apart at the lightning plug like the oem apple ones do?

I could see the paracord wrap being pulled out the collar sheath. If you're careful you should be OK, I'd think.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

xilni posted:

I read somewhere that 1pm was confirmed. The question is whether it's better to do with a delta update on the phone itself or download the IPSW to upgrade through iTunes.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
And the real actual answer is whatever works for you. If you have the disk space, no reason to avoid updating from the device itself.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Speaking of cables, are there any good knock-off lightning adapters that are as good as Apple's "We'll charge you $35 because gently caress you" adapter? I couldn't find one on Monoprice; it's for my car, so I just need the adapter, not the cable.

various cheeses posted:

I don't have that brand, but I have one of those cloth-covered cables for my old iphone and it's been excellent. Mine has this humongous base-piece, though, that surrounds the cord where it reaches the charger, which I'm guessing prevents it from getting twisted around. My OEM charging cable is a shameful piece of equipment that's just begging for an electrical fire; it's twice as bad as this one that got ridiculed earlier (but it still works).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

decypher posted:

And the real actual answer is whatever works for you. If you have the disk space, no reason to avoid updating from the device itself.
Welp, thanks Apple for making the 16GB too small and enticing me to buy the 64GB. :shobon:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

various cheeses posted:

My experience is that sheathed cables are really only useful if you want to reduce cable friction, like with a gaming mouse. I don't see why they would be helpful with an iPhone, and the added bulk/weight would only make them less useful.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

I read somewhere that 1pm was confirmed. The question is whether it's better to do with a delta update on the phone itself or download the IPSW to upgrade through iTunes.

My office internet is faster by a significant enough amount that the iTunes update still wins.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

My experience is that sheathed cables are really only useful if you want to reduce cable friction, like with a gaming mouse. I don't see why they would be helpful with an iPhone, and the added bulk/weight would only make them less useful.

The point is I'm hoping they don't end up like this:

I don't see how they'd be any less useful though, it's not like I'm shaving grams on my race bike here.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
UTSUPITSUPITSUPITSUPITSUPUPUP

*ahem*

8.1 is up, good sirs.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
AND THEY'RE OFF

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
OH GOD I BRICKED MY PHONE!

[edit] Wait, sorry... I didn't mean Bricked... what's the word? Oh... yes "turned on".

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
ITS HAPPENING

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
It's been saying 16 seconds remaining for about 55 seconds WHAT THE gently caress TIM?????

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Feenix posted:

UTSUPITSUPITSUPITSUPITSUPUPUP

*ahem*

8.1 is up, good sirs.

1PM, called it, buying my ticket to vegas as we speak, only days late from EVE vegas :(

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My download estimate is going UP even as the bar progresses.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I'm going to wait til I get home, because obviously the servers are going to be slamfucked for the next few hours.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

various cheeses posted:

I'm going to wait til I get home, because obviously the servers are going to be slamfucked for the next few hours.

But how will you be the first in line at McDonalds to use it? I heard they have prizes and balloons!

[edit] I was probably first in the world to download it, so take it with a grain of salt, but my Delta is like 85% done already. So, SOOO far... not bad.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 20, 2014

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

various cheeses posted:

Obviously wrong, downloaded and installing.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Obviously wrong, downloaded and installing.

Oh, well gently caress it. Firing it up now.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

I've been on Preparing Update for quite a while, mildly worried. On the bright side I got the download done before any rush, took under a minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
Yeah I downloaded it surprisingly fast but its taking forever on the Preparing Update...