Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

There's a minor Japanese perception that blond = foreigner and so they tend to default to hair color a lot when the characters are foreign/fantasy foreign.

I actually think FF6 is the best example of this; every single party member and the main villain have hair that ranges from white to gold, even the two furry dudes, except for Cyan and Terra who is half-monster (and her Amano art is also blonde).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pesky Splinter posted:

They include it in Dissidia as well, as her "bonus" when she enters Exmode; she takes no damage from being wall-rushed. It's worthless.

There was a lot of silly stuff like that in Dissidia, just abilities and poo poo you would never actually use because it's so situational and unnecessary.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You mean awesome. Zidane could jump in the air, like, eight times, and climb to the heavens by just dodging and jumping.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Beef Waifu posted:

I completely forgot Lightning could manipulate gravity and create soft bubbles to land on until I replay XIII on PC, it's just such a forgettable thing despite the fact it just HAPPENS at the start.

It's a shame too because the scene at the beginning where they show her using it makes me want to see it used throughout the game more.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
It doesn't happen again until one scene at the end because the device she needs to use gets broken really early on.

Then because they made the scenes wildly out of order without caring how they work together, it just magically stops being broken for one scene before disappearing back into the plot hole it came crawling out of.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Beef Waifu posted:

There was a lot of silly stuff like that in Dissidia, just abilities and poo poo you would never actually use because it's so situational and unnecessary.

Yeah. Stuff like Vaan's "Change your weapon, without attacking!", or those ultraspecific builds you could do by farming that would give you x percent whatever if your opponent did whatever if their brave was at 10% on a Tuesday, in the light of a full moon. Just easier to smack the guy, really.

Gologle posted:

You mean awesome. Zidane could jump in the air, like, eight times, and climb to the heavens by just dodging and jumping.

Everyone could do that in Dissidia, it's only in the second game they toned it down for everyone else, and made it more Zidane's thing. And that's a practical thing, unlike Lightning's aformentioned ability, and the various stat poo poo they give other characters they couldn't come up with any ideas for.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 20, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

That puts Tidus' hair colour in a whole new light, especially when you consider the only other blond party member (Rikku) is also 'foreign' to the main Spiran society.
Not Final Fantasy, but you can see it in Persona too. Aigis has blonde hair and blue eyes, Teddie has blonde hair and blue eyes, they're both non-humans whose character arc is about trying to fit into human society.

In Final Fantasy, you can see it with Zidane, too.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Endorph posted:

Not Final Fantasy, but you can see it in Persona too. Aigis has blonde hair and blue eyes, Teddie has blonde hair and blue eyes, they're both non-humans whose character arc is about trying to fit into human society.

This should about cover them all:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PhenotypeStereotype

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Endorph posted:

Which is kinda funny given Freya, Amarant, Vivi, and Quina exist. Except then you meet the genomes and it still works

The most diverse FF. Another point in its favor

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

You don't tend to notice at first due to the relatively undetailed models, but like half the women NPCs in FFX are wearing thongs and have this giant window in their clothes. It's especially noticeable in Dona, but you'll also see it with countless other people.

After beating FFX-HD I've been playing through X-2 HD. They really did an amazing job updating all the models; the game looks great. FFX-2 is a lot of fun. My only real complaint gameplay-wise is that it still has random battles. Otherwise it has a very "modern" feel to it and the battles are very fast-paced and fun. While the gaming-OCD part of me is confused about the millions of options I have in terms of what dresspheres to master and what garment grids to put them in, it gives you a lot of room to experiment.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

You don't tend to notice at first due to the relatively undetailed models, but like half the women NPCs in FFX are wearing thongs and have this giant window in their clothes. It's especially noticeable in Dona, but you'll also see it with countless other people.
Aren't the guy npcs in FFX half naked too? It's been a while since I played but I thought that was the case.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nihilarian posted:

Aren't the guy npcs in FFX half naked too? It's been a while since I played but I thought that was the case.
Yep.

Thing is the game takes place almost entirely in tropical climates. So a bunch of swimsuits and shirtless dudes kinda makes sense.
And its a nice change of pace from the older final fantasy games having either super anime sci-fi outfits or medieval armor.

But the thongs are a bit much.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
No, I think you actually mean they are a bit too little.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

But the thongs are a bit much.

The thing about the thongs that I find so funny is that, due to the relatively low detailed/resolution models, they aren't even remotely titillating.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
In that context, Rikku's bikini top and tiny shorts in X-2 isn't quite as bad. I mean, it's still pretty bad, but it'd have been a lot worse if a character in, say, VIII was wearing that.

(I had a bunch of other games to say before VIII, but then I remember Ashe, Rosa and Tifa all exist, all ready to bare midriffs.)

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Man I hope ffXV isn't set in a completely empty/lifeless world like XIII was. Even if you are in a giant building or constructed city, its like, who made this? There's nobody here. The entire world has a population of 150 people from what I can tell, and they're all in the army.

I had to stop playing ffXIII-2 because it was just so devoid of life and just felt so bleak.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Ytlaya posted:

The thing about the thongs that I find so funny is that, due to the relatively low detailed/resolution models, they aren't even remotely titillating.

Yeah, that sure stopped Tifa and Sephiroth as well. You clearly have forgotten what puberty was like.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Systematic System posted:

People are starting to find dummied out content in XIII, even some stuff that had lines recorded, and text translated. Of course a lot of the models and whatnot were reused in other parts of XIII or its sequels. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjPtT6PoDBg

It's cool seeing beta content being finally uncovered, but that cutscene at the beginning was the first time I noticed preset animations in XIII. Not all cutscenes can be fully motion captured, but XIII does a better job hiding it than the other games. It's not entirely a bad thing, since I loved all of Cloud's animations in VII, but in that one scene they made sure each character had a unique reaction to it.

It really bugged me in X how characters could go from stationary to sprinting with very little attempt to blend between them, even in important cutscenes. It was even more annoying when they would stop instantly mid-stride, and their legs would just glide to the centre. Wherever their furthest foot lands should be their stopping point, which is what they did in that cutscene above.

The opening cinematic of X still looks great today (although I prefer Tidus' face from the PS2 version), but the rest of the game doesn't hold up to it. It's either dragged down by poor lipsync, robotic animation, or use of the low quality models. Kingdom Hearts I is the same for me, which was most noticeable when you talk to the Queen of Hearts. She would be beutifully animated and perfectly lip-synced in one shot, then in the next it's just a three-frame animation of a mouth that barely matches up to what she's saying.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Leper Residue posted:

Don't know who that is, but reverse img search brought up Dona and Bart from FFX which I'm currently playing through.

It's literally triple x all over. Chest, triple X. Crotch, triple x. Arm, triple x. The dude and his torso, triple x. I bet if we had a better angle on his arms, triple x.

edit: her chest is quadruple x. Hmmm.

It IS Final Fantasy "X", after all.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Goddammit, I cannot help but laugh every time I see Barthello and...that face.

And then I remember in X-2. "DOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!"

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Final Fantasy X-3 is actually Kingdom Hearts 3.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

And then I remember in X-2. "DOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!"

Hahaha, I just got to that part in my playthrough of X-2. I like how the game doesn't take itself seriously, especially after how drastically different the tone of the first game was.

How does XIII-2 compare with XIII? I've played through something like half of XIII, and while I think it's a good game it seems like it's lacking that "something" that would get me to continue playing it. I actually really like the gameplay and don't even mind the characters, but it's just lacking in...personality, I guess. Even though it was my third playthrough, I was still able to get through all of FFX-HD in just a couple weeks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

13-3 probably has the most personality of any of the 13 games.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Endorph posted:

13-3 probably has the most personality of any of the 13 games.

Ehhhh.

I can think of maybe two scenes where Serah shows any real personality. The fighting system is better developed (though at the cost of the majority of the game being easier compared to XIII) and you get to put silly hats on monsters.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Ehhhh.

I can think of maybe two scenes where Serah shows any real personality. The fighting system is better developed (though at the cost of the majority of the game being easier compared to XIII) and you get to put silly hats on monsters.

13-3 aka Lightning Returns

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
13-3 is Lightning Returns.

EDIT: gently caress, beaten

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Hahaha, I just got to that part in my playthrough of X-2. I like how the game doesn't take itself seriously, especially after how drastically different the tone of the first game was.

How does XIII-2 compare with XIII? I've played through something like half of XIII, and while I think it's a good game it seems like it's lacking that "something" that would get me to continue playing it. I actually really like the gameplay and don't even mind the characters, but it's just lacking in...personality, I guess. Even though it was my third playthrough, I was still able to get through all of FFX-HD in just a couple weeks.

XIII-2 is pretty much the polar opposite of FF XIII in terms of structure- very wide open, very lacking in any kind of useful information and guidance. It'll give you enough direction to help you intuit your way through the main storyline eventually, but it gets the same completionist warning FFX-2 gets- bring a guide or prepare to weep. If you hated FFXIII because it was on rails, boy do I have good news for you...

The monster capturing/battling mechanic is cool to mess with but does manage to rob the combat system of some of it's strategic depth (because they design most of the non-postgame fights around you having a wild card third spot and as such even a decent monster will make the game very easy until the very end) and the plot and characters are both major steps down from FFXIII- the main story just kinda meanders around and is very slow to lead anywhere (for a very spoiler-filled reason, but it still feels terrible while going through it,) the new characters are pretty very unlikable, and of the returning cast the only one that doesn't poo poo the bed is Hope.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
My bad, I was probably thrown off by the original post asking about 13-2.

I do find 13 decent when viewed through rose-tinted glasses while ignoring the plot. The fighting system is still pretty solid and while the summons are still poorly implemented, they're still better than XII and SE seems to never be able to strike a good balance between them being overpowered or underpowered.

Mr. Locke posted:

XIII-2 is pretty much the polar opposite of FF XIII in terms of structure- very wide open, very lacking in any kind of useful information and guidance. It'll give you enough direction to help you intuit your way through the main storyline eventually, but it gets the same completionist warning FFX-2 gets- bring a guide or prepare to weep. If you hated FFXIII because it was on rails, boy do I have good news for you...

The monster capturing/battling mechanic is cool to mess with but does manage to rob the combat system of some of it's strategic depth (because they design most of the non-postgame fights around you having a wild card third spot and as such even a decent monster will make the game very easy until the very end) and the plot and characters are both major steps down from FFXIII- the main story just kinda meanders around and is very slow to lead anywhere (for a very spoiler-filled reason, but it still feels terrible while going through it,) the new characters are pretty very unlikable, and of the returning cast the only one that doesn't poo poo the bed is Hope.

Snow's appearances in 13-2 were okay in my opinion. Especially that ending where he just shows up on Shiva and whisks Serah away. He's really the only returning character outside of Hope to have a major role in 13-2 anyway (Lightning doesn't really count).

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 21, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
13 is perfect for a nostalgic defense because most of the truly awful poo poo is in the last quarter of the game when it goes full retard game design-wise and plot. Or pretty much whenever you fight Robo-pope for the first time and you realize literally everything was his plan.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I actually thought XIII-2 was the best of the three. The story is somehow even more divorced from reality than the first game, but gameplay-wise it brought back a lot of what was missing from the first game and expanded on the 13's battle system which was already pretty good. I also thought it had the most memorable environments in the series. I loved how bleak it was while still having a fair amount of levity.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Mr. Locke posted:

the plot and characters are both major steps down from FFXIII- the main story just kinda meanders around and is very slow to lead anywhere (for a very spoiler-filled reason, but it still feels terrible while going through it,) the new characters are pretty very unlikable, and of the returning cast the only one that doesn't poo poo the bed is Hope.

I dunno, it's pretty breezy but that doesn't mean it's meandering. They start and finish a complete adventure in each chapter, and they always come out with a better understanding of what's going on and what to do next. It's paced like a TV show, basically.

Also who needs likeable characters when you have Liam O'Brien talking total shite nonsense for hours on end :allears:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

J-Spot posted:

I actually thought XIII-2 was the best of the three. The story is somehow even more divorced from reality than the first game, but gameplay-wise it brought back a lot of what was missing from the first game and expanded on the 13's battle system which was already pretty good. I also thought it had the most memorable environments in the series. I loved how bleak it was while still having a fair amount of levity.

FFXIII-2's combat system is so terribly balanced that the only way to see any of the improvements is to intentionally not level your characters. That really killed it for me since I didn't find the environments fun to explore at all. (Also QTEs in boss fights but those are pretty harmless, just kinda dumb.)

Admittedly, as janky as it is, i think LR is probably the best of the three, even if the plot is batshit stupid it's at least batshit stupid in a memorable way.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ApplesandOranges posted:

Snow's appearances in 13-2 were okay in my opinion. Especially that ending where he just shows up on Shiva and whisks Serah away. He's really the only returning character outside of Hope to have a major role in 13-2 anyway (Lightning doesn't really count).
The spoilered thing is literally the best part of the entire game. Snow somehow managed to appear for ten minutes and totally steal the show.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Whoever made this picture is kind of a moron. Sora looks okay, and the "dangly thing" is the keychain which is used to change the Keyblade's form. Sion is okay too, aside from the dumb choker and the silver chain on his arm. There are far more egregious Nomura belts and zippers designs.

And what the hell is wrong with red, yellow and blue? They are used because they stand out! For an action game protagonist, that's a good thing!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

Whoever made this picture is kind of a moron. Sora looks okay, and the "dangly thing" is the keychain which is used to change the Keyblade's form. Sion is okay too, aside from the dumb choker and the silver chain on his arm. There are far more egregious Nomura belts and zippers designs.

And what the hell is wrong with red, yellow and blue? They are used because they stand out! For an action game protagonist, that's a good thing!
They are a moron, they didn't mention the clown shoes.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Nihilarian posted:

They're also bedazzled by multi-colored clothing.

Also sora is wearing a one piece, so the belt has zero function.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Tetsuya "The Belt Has Zero Function" Nomura

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Nihilarian posted:

Pretty sure they look like that to evoke Mickey Mouse's shoes. Same with Sora's general color scheme.

Sion meanwhile looks like he only owns clothes that are too small or are too big for him.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

SSNeoman posted:

The point was that they have almost exactly the same character design (and they forgot to point out both characters are wearing short-sleeve jackets). Don't get too protective about the clown-shoes wearing cartoon character designs because someone on the internet tried to be funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

The point was that they have almost exactly the same character design (and they forgot to point out both characters are wearing short-sleeve jackets). Don't get too protective about the clown-shoes wearing cartoon character designs because someone on the internet tried to be funny.

Only in the most general terms. But come on. "Kid in his mid-to-late teens with shorts and gloves" likely covers a very wide range of protagonists. Dude is reaching with that pic.

Leper Residue posted:

Also sora is wearing a one piece, so the belt has zero function.

I never noticed this. What the gently caress :psyduck:
That's legitimately dumb.