Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh shit gorillas!
Sep 30, 2014

eddiewalker posted:

Don't be a Head-fi'er

Oh god.... whitepeople.jpg

wait, does his shirt say "my earbuds cost more than your ipod"? if I ever see someone wearing that shirt I'm straight up knocking them out and stealing their earbuds (even though they're probably customs).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Rather than destroying this one, I'd rather return it and replace it it with one that is known to have a better than six foot range. Does anyone know one? There are like a dozen of these on Amazon that have 4+ star ratings, so I don't know which one to pick.

Use this thing instead:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011412&p_id=10251&seq=1&format=2

Pulls the audio out of the HDMI interface and gives you every output you could ever want. You then have the issue of having to be physically tethered to the box, but you shouldn't have any noticeable delay.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Hi IYG Audio Questions Thread!

I'm trying to link two 2.1 computer speaker sets across a room wirelessly - basically, I'd like to connect a Y-splitter to an audio source and have one cable running to one set of speakers, and the other cable to a wireless audio transmitter whose signal is then picked up on the other side of the room.

It seems like this would be the perfect device: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4GHz-Wire...=item338cd3e4f0 (besides the fact that I'd need to buy two power adapters, as these would need to be always-on)

But I have no idea whether that's a good choice.

One key feature I need is for the transmitter/receiver to stay "linked" even if the power goes out, since the speakers will be in an inaccessible area. Anything with a "connect" button I have to push after a power loss is out of the question.

Does what I need exist in an affordable fashion?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

KillHour posted:

Use this thing instead:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011412&p_id=10251&seq=1&format=2

Pulls the audio out of the HDMI interface and gives you every output you could ever want. You then have the issue of having to be physically tethered to the box, but you shouldn't have any noticeable delay.
But that's just line out, right? Not amplified for headphones? I'd really rather it be wireless too.

But seriously though, is bluetooth audio such a wimpy technology that it can't transmit sound six drat feet without a huge delay and cuts in and out? And why just audio? My bluetooth mice and controllers and stuff don't have any problems, and nor does the proprietary wireless system of the headphones or any of the other devices that use things like that.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 11, 2014

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Samurai Sanders posted:

But that's just line out, right? Not amplified for headphones? I'd really rather it be wireless too.

But seriously though, is bluetooth audio such a wimpy technology that it can't transmit sound six drat feet without a huge delay and cuts in and out? And why just audio? My bluetooth mice and controllers and stuff don't have any problems, and nor does the proprietary wireless system of the headphones or any of the other devices that use things like that.

To be fair, you bought a really cheap one.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

eddiewalker posted:

To be fair, you bought a really cheap one.
Like I said, it got good reviews, it said it had a 30 foot range and I didn't see any reason to doubt it.

So if I buy a more expensive one, it won't cut out at that range and/or the delay will be less?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Samurai Sanders posted:

But seriously though, is bluetooth audio such a wimpy technology that it can't transmit sound six drat feet without a huge delay and cuts in and out?
I can send audio over Bluetooth from my phone from the basement two (wooden) floors up. That's almost twenty feet. It only cuts out if I move my body in the umm... virtual line of sight. Six feet certainly isn't the limit. Depending on the radios and antennae, obviously.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I've had good range between my Sony SBH20 (around $30) and iPad. I was using in a four car garage with the iPad in the center or front center and could hear fine wherever I was, even a bit outside the garage with obstructions in the way. One issue I've had is seemingly random stuttering after turning it on sometimes, usually fine after just switching off and on. Not a big deal for me but I remember it happening constantly for someone else.

Course if the Vita TV itself has a crappy transmit range it might render it moot for all I know :iiam:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

japtor posted:

Course if the Vita TV itself has a crappy transmit range it might render it moot for all I know :iiam:
Yeah, this may be. It's a weird little device that was made to compensate for Japan getting the PS4 several months after the West, and they clearly didn't put much effort into in a few areas.

edit: part of the reason I don't want to spend so much money on getting it to work with my headphones. All I do with it is play some old PSP games sometimes. Also, it may someday get a software update to support this headset itself, now that it's being marketed internationally.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 11, 2014

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I was thinking about it a little more, tried the receiver with anything else to rule out the Vita TV as the problem? And if it is the problem it could just be a defective unit for all we know, barring other VTV users mentioning normal range with their stuff.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

The PlayStation Gold headset has its own amplifier. Also, those headsets are wireless and come with a USB dongle that apparently works on PCs.

If you have a computer in the room (or a laptop), here's what you do:

Get the monoprice adapter.
Run from the aux out of the adapter to the line in on your computer.
Enable "listen to this device" in control panel (assuming you're using Windows).
Plug USB dongle into PC.
Profit.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

KillHour posted:

The PlayStation Gold headset has its own amplifier. Also, those headsets are wireless and come with a USB dongle that apparently works on PCs.

If you have a computer in the room (or a laptop), here's what you do:

Get the monoprice adapter.
Run from the aux out of the adapter to the line in on your computer.
Enable "listen to this device" in control panel (assuming you're using Windows).
Plug USB dongle into PC.
Profit.
Yeah, this sounds like it might be the way to go, but is it better to use this, or the optical out on my TV?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, this sounds like it might be the way to go, but is it better to use this, or the optical out on my TV?

If your computer has an optical input, that's the way I'd go. Most computers don't have optical inputs, though.

The best part is that you already have everything you need, short of a $2 cable.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022901&p_id=1419&seq=1&format=2

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 11, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

KillHour posted:

If your computer has an optical input, that's the way I'd go. Most computers don't have optical inputs, though.

The best part is that you already have everything you need, short of a $2 cable.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022901&p_id=1419&seq=1&format=2
I just checked, nope.

Oh, how about something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Beach-...al+audio+to+usb

Avoid one step of digital to analog conversion.

edit: wait, this is just output isn't it. This is such a stupid loving problem to have, seriously. The Vita TV has both a USB port that behaves like the one on a PS3 or PS4 in every way EXCEPT this one, and it supports every function on the PS4 controller EXCEPT for its headphone port. And a normal freaking Vita has a headphone port right on it!

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 11, 2014

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I just checked, nope.

Oh, how about something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Beach-...al+audio+to+usb

Avoid one step of digital to analog conversion.

edit: wait, this is just output isn't it. This is such a stupid loving problem to have, seriously. The Vita TV has both a USB port that behaves like the one on a PS3 or PS4 in every way EXCEPT this one, and it supports every function on the PS4 controller EXCEPT for its headphone port. And a normal freaking Vita has a headphone port right on it!

You generally need pro equipment (or a sound card) to get optical in. I'll take a look. You may just be better off going with the Monoprice for flexibility - hook the headphones right to that or run it through your computer for wireless.

Edit: Here's one.

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-M-Track-2-Channel-Portable-Interface/dp/B00BQ6KSK4

It's not cheap, but it has pretty much everything you'd ever use. Maybe use it as an excuse to learn an instrument?

Double Edit:

http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Direct-External-Channel-SW-29545/dp/B004Y0ERRO

This one looks like a cheap piece of poo poo, but gently caress it. It's 26 bucks. How badly can you gently caress up an all digital interface?

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 11, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

KillHour posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Direct-External-Channel-SW-29545/dp/B004Y0ERRO

This one looks like a cheap piece of poo poo, but gently caress it. It's 26 bucks. How badly can you gently caress up an all digital interface?
Hm...I don't know what either this (which looks like it would cause software problems) or the thing from Monoprice would offer me over something like this, and I would be more flexible than the HDMI in-line box since it wouldn't be bound to just one HDMI input.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 11, 2014

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Hm...I don't know what either this or the thing from Monoprice would offer me over something like this, and I would be more flexible than the HDMI in-line box since it wouldn't be bound to just one HDMI input.

That would go digital to analog back to digital, while the Sewell would be an all digital signal chain. In theory, it shouldn't matter since DAC and ADC is supposed to be lossless up to the Nyquist frequency (typically higher than the threshold of human hearing), but it could add some noticeable latency. I know when I loop my DAC to my digital mixer, I get about a 100ms latency.

As with anything, there's a million and one ways to skin a cat.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

KillHour posted:

That would go digital to analog back to digital, while the Sewell would be an all digital signal chain. In theory, it shouldn't matter since DAC and ADC is supposed to be lossless up to the Nyquist frequency (typically higher than the threshold of human hearing), but it could add some noticeable latency. I know when I loop my DAC to my digital mixer, I get about a 100ms latency.

As with anything, there's a million and one ways to skin a cat.
I guess maybe I'll try that, but I'm still suspicious that it will cause more problems than it will solve. I'm already returning one audio gadget to Amazon today. I can't shake the feeling that some simpler solution is staring me right in the face though.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 11, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It turns out there was indeed something right in front of my face that I hadn't tried: my iHome bluetooth speaker. I connected that to the Vita TV, and it has no delay (though still pretty short range, I think it is the Vita's antenna after all). But...it's a speaker. Are there any of these bluetooth speakers that have a line out? This has what LOOKS like one (I think it's designed to chain multiple speakers together) but nothing comes out of my headphones when I plug them into it.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 11, 2014

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Looked back a few pages but figured this was the place to ask: what's the best wireless speaker for 200-300? Should I just get a Sonos? If I want to take it to work and connect it to our hospital WiFi network will it still work, or should I just get a Bluetooth speaker in that case?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Don't have any suggestions to help but some questions that might narrow things down at least. What kind of wireless range and audio volume are you looking for? What device(s) will you be using with it, and are you open to speaker+adapter solutions? And I guess does it need to be portable (i.e. completely wireless) or just wireless for the audio transmission?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Samurai Sanders posted:

It turns out there was indeed something right in front of my face that I hadn't tried: my iHome bluetooth speaker. I connected that to the Vita TV, and it has no delay (though still pretty short range, I think it is the Vita's antenna after all). But...it's a speaker. Are there any of these bluetooth speakers that have a line out? This has what LOOKS like one (I think it's designed to chain multiple speakers together) but nothing comes out of my headphones when I plug them into it.

It might be an input to use as a wired speaker instead - some have outputs though, I'm pretty sure my Sony ball one does

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
if I convert from FLAC to ALAC to I lose ANY quality or no?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

rear end Catchcum posted:

Post your system, please. I wanna see.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Asking in a different thread isn't going to change the answer. :flame:

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot
Here's a quick audio question. Just saw a Denon AVR-689 at the thrift for $15. Thinking of getting it for the office/man cave. Good deal?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Anything under $20 is a good deal, assuming it works. You can spend more on lunch and end up less satisfied.

Considering it's only from 2008 and already ditched to a thrift store, there's probably something wrong with it. The HDMI boards on a lot of mid-late 2000 AV receivers were known to be spotty.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

SnakePlissken posted:

Here's a quick audio question. Just saw a Denon AVR-689 at the thrift for $15. Thinking of getting it for the office/man cave. Good deal?

Looking at the amazon reviews, apparently it can't process the audio from HDMI sources which seems like a dealbreaker unless you can get and want to deal with coax/optical from all your sources.

sofokles
Feb 7, 2004

Fuck this

KillHour posted:

Spotify Connect hasn't been rolled out to the PC version, yet. There may be 3rd party apps to get around this.

As a side note, I was able to use Spotify Connect to control my iPhone's Spotify from my Android phone, which is... less than useful. I guess I can use it at parties by plugging one phone into the speaker system and controlling it with the other phone, or something.

Hail Mary as of today it works. iPhone spotify can now control win pc spotify.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

sofokles posted:

Hail Mary as of today it works. iPhone spotify can now control win pc spotify.

Wow, it does. It even works when you're not on the same network, which is... weird.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Are there any FM tuner units with a stereo out and IR remote control that aren't $200 rackmount units, something the size of a cheap lepai t-amp? Because the $200 units are all I can find. I don't need a full-blown receiver, just an FM/AM tuner to run into the in-law's soundbar for occasional use. Size is important because of course they picked what looks good, not what would fit their components with room for future addition.

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
I'm looking for a mic for a conference room set up. I'm putting a couple of computers in conference rooms so people can use Skype. Sound has been one of our biggest problems. I don't have much audio expertise, so I'm looking for some help.

In a perfect world I'd have more than one mic so I can spread them out around the table or tables, since there is a fair amount of area to cover. Wireless would also be awesome, so I don't have to run 20+ feet of cable across the floor. I'm trying to keep this under $150.

That being said, I realize this probably can't be done with that budget. When I ran this by management I told them if I can't do this cheap, I will have to spend up to $1k on some more purpose built AV stuff. So with that in mind, what would I want to do if I had that kind of money to throw at this?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

devmd01 posted:

Are there any FM tuner units with a stereo out and IR remote control that aren't $200 rackmount units, something the size of a cheap lepai t-amp? Because the $200 units are all I can find. I don't need a full-blown receiver, just an FM/AM tuner to run into the in-law's soundbar for occasional use. Size is important because of course they picked what looks good, not what would fit their components with room for future addition.

How about an old smartphone with a TuneIn app?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

devmd01 posted:

This one is about the size of a lepai amp ;)
Maybe a little bookshelf am/fm/cd unit could work if you can remove the speakers?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Hey quick questions thread! I'm looking to put together a cheap bang for the buck 5.1 system. Newegg currently has the Yamaha RX-V475 on sale for $225, is that a good deal? Looks like it has some goodies, 4k/3d support, apple airplay.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0MJ-0022-00011

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I'd like to install some in-wall and in-ceiling speakers in my living room. First question is, can I get the open back speakers or do the enclosed type sound better. I'm not so much worried about sound bleeding to other rooms as I am about sound quality on a speaker that I have a limited budget for. I'd like to get away with under $100 a speaker. With install costs at $120 a pop it will get pricey. Speaker recommendations would be great.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

SpaceRangerJoe posted:

I'm looking for a mic for a conference room set up. I'm putting a couple of computers in conference rooms so people can use Skype. Sound has been one of our biggest problems. I don't have much audio expertise, so I'm looking for some help.

In a perfect world I'd have more than one mic so I can spread them out around the table or tables, since there is a fair amount of area to cover. Wireless would also be awesome, so I don't have to run 20+ feet of cable across the floor. I'm trying to keep this under $150.

That being said, I realize this probably can't be done with that budget. When I ran this by management I told them if I can't do this cheap, I will have to spend up to $1k on some more purpose built AV stuff. So with that in mind, what would I want to do if I had that kind of money to throw at this?

PZM mics from Crown either on the tabletops or for that extra nerd bling, instead of putting them on the tabletops, tape them onto lexan sheets parallel to the tabletops and slightly higher, and they won't pick up so much of the paper shuffling, opening candy wrappers and people interminably clicking their pens and stuff. PZMs have kind of low gain, but I think that's because they're fundamentally designed to cancel out a lot of the ambient room noise that most mics pick up. What remains of the signal after all the reflected noises cancelling each other out is probably one of the more reverb-free mic signals you can get from an all-purpose room mic. You can probably get away with something as cheap as their low-end model, which are only used for this purpose and have 3.5 plugs, or use the XLR higher end models, which will get you cleaner sound, and require phantom power. But you can plug the "sound grabber" directly into a laptop's mic jack.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

visuvius posted:

I'd like to install some in-wall and in-ceiling speakers in my living room. First question is, can I get the open back speakers or do the enclosed type sound better. I'm not so much worried about sound bleeding to other rooms as I am about sound quality on a speaker that I have a limited budget for. I'd like to get away with under $100 a speaker. With install costs at $120 a pop it will get pricey. Speaker recommendations would be great.

Install them yourself and spend $200/speaker? :shrug:

It's really not very hard, especially if you have a crawl space/attic above your living room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

KillHour posted:

Install them yourself and spend $200/speaker? :shrug:

It's really not very hard, especially if you have a crawl space/attic above your living room.

It won't be an easy install. Its going into a room with vaulted ceilings and no attic space. Also the joints are going like two different directions and to get a clean install there will have to be a bunch of cuts into the drywall. It will be messy as hell.

My main question is about the open back versus enclosed back speakers.