Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Avocados posted:

Did the Mac reboot add the settings option on the iPhone? I can't imagine it would...but I restarted both my Mac and I hard rebooted my iPhone and nothing seemed to work.

I signed out of Messages on the Mac through the Preferences pane, rebooted, and signed back in. Then I checked the iPhone and the option was there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Totally just Whole Foods-ed using my Apple Pay and it worked flawlessly. The screen comes on when you get near it just tap your finger let it scan.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Suqit posted:

They're covered under warranty for a year, 2 if you have applecare plus.

yeah thats not necessary and not much help when they shred in a matter of six months tops. i've replaced mine twice now.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

How long is the verification taking for anyone using Wells Fargo?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gio posted:

yeah thats not necessary and not much help when they shred in a matter of six months tops. i've replaced mine twice now.

I've heard if the wires look like they got put through a paper shredder Apple stores tend to replace them no questions asked. A few people in this thread have posted about it.. I guess if you can describe it as a safety issue that triggers some additional willingness to replace them.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Sextro posted:

Took around 30-60 seconds for each of my 3 WF cards.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Geesus, I hate to be an alarmist but my battery life is atrocious on my 6+ after updating to ios 8.1

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

spongeworthy posted:

I signed out of Messages on the Mac through the Preferences pane, rebooted, and signed back in. Then I checked the iPhone and the option was there.

Man. Still nothing. This is frustrating.

e:Wait it just worked. I had to redo iMessage on my iPhone.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Captain Apollo posted:

Geesus, I hate to be an alarmist but my battery life is atrocious on my 6+ after updating to ios 8.1

You sure it's not just indexing or whatever?

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Sextro posted:

About 15-20 seconds here for my WF debit card

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

It's actually going to be a way to fully back up all photos and have access to them on all devices, which is not what photostream was at all. I think it'll be great when we can upload our entire photo library from a mac, but thats not working yet it seems.

It's not working yet because I think that's going to be a feature of the new Photos app which isn't due until next year. So it's basically useless for now.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Maybe I removed it before, but I don't recall seeing this. In Notification Center there is a "Social" item you can enable to send Messages from the NC on the fly if you are signed in for SMS/iMessages.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
According to this thread, Amazon has opted not to include their Chase Visa in Apple Pay.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

spongeworthy posted:

Maybe I removed it before, but I don't recall seeing this. In Notification Center there is a "Social" item you can enable to send Messages from the NC on the fly if you are signed in for SMS/iMessages.

I don't see this? iPhone 5S, 8.1.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Biodome posted:

I don't see this? iPhone 5S, 8.1.

Sorry should have clarified, I meant on Yosemite's Notification Center

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

spongeworthy posted:

I don't recall this existing since iOS 6. There's something like that in Yosemite Notification Center, though. Maybe you're getting confused?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

I don't recall this existing since iOS 6.

Oh, haha, well I've had the NC disabled since it debuted until now.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

According to this thread, Amazon has opted not to include their Chase Visa in Apple Pay.

Thread has been deleted, but here's the Google cache version

CoasterMaster fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 20, 2014

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Anyone have instant hotspot working? Tried between my 5 and iPad 4 and its same as it's been since 6. Also tried with my 2013 rMBP and no go. Can link with Bluetooth if I select it or wifi if the phone has the hotspot page opened.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Uhhh, so in 8.1, you get the Camera Roll back meaning you get an album that shows you all the pictures on your device, but when you delete photos from your Camera Roll, you still have to go through that dumb 2-step deletion process of sending them to a "Recently Deleted" folder and then deleting them for real from that folder?

That's not much better at all.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Gio posted:

I've literally never had an Apple cable tear or be damaged in any way and I take my cord everywhere, what are you baboons doing to break these things?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Uhhh, so in 8.1, you get the Camera Roll back meaning you get an album that shows you all the pictures on your device, but when you delete photos from your Camera Roll, you still have to go through that dumb 2-step deletion process of sending them to a "Recently Deleted" folder and then deleting them for real from that folder?

Or you could just ignore the "recently deleted" folder like any sane person would do.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
Really not sure this SMS handoff is completely baked. Messages app on my phone keeps opening up as empty or crashing, among other oddities. Resetting both my MacBook and my phone to see if it helps, but not really impressed right now.

Edit: Restarting both devices seems to have made it act a little better, so if anyone else has that issue they might want to try it. I'm also not sure how much of it is connected to Yosemite's wifi goofing up for some people (like me.)

-Dethstryk- fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 20, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hughlander posted:

Anyone have instant hotspot working? Tried between my 5 and iPad 4 and its same as it's been since 6. Also tried with my 2013 rMBP and no go. Can link with Bluetooth if I select it or wifi if the phone has the hotspot page opened.

Worked fine for me, but I have an iPhone 6 Plus and a 2014 rMBP. One thing that's kinda annoying is that you have to disable the hotspot on your phone itself after you disconnect; I was hoping that disconnecting on the computer that you connected from would automatically do it.

Still it's super handy, as is the rest of iPhone integration.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Or you could just ignore the "recently deleted" folder like any sane person would do.
Yeah but my point is that you're not actually deleting the photos from your device. It's like sending poo poo to the Recycle Bin vs. Shift+Deleting stuff on a PC. I've been Shift+Deleting poo poo on PCs for like the past decade or more. If I want poo poo gone, I want it to actually be gone. Not just moved somewhere else.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I've literally never had an Apple cable tear or be damaged in any way and I take my cord everywhere, what are you baboons doing to break these things?

Yeah, I am still using the lightning cable that came with my iPhone 5 on launch day. I just started using the 30 pin cable that came with my 80 gig colour iPod because my work gave me an iPhone 4S with no cable at all. I've got a few lightning cables scattered about my house and vehicles - they're all still in good shape albeit not as white as they used to be.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

-Dethstryk- posted:

Really not sure this SMS handoff is completely baked. Messages app on my phone keeps opening up as empty or crashing, among other oddities. Resetting both my MacBook and my phone to see if it helps, but not really impressed right now.

Edit: Restarting both devices seems to have made it act a little better, so if anyone else has that issue they might want to try it. I'm also not sure how much of it is connected to Yosemite's wifi goofing up for some people (like me.)

Well maybe it's good that I still can't get my devices to see each other, after updating them all and multiple reboots.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Gio posted:

it'd be really cool and neat if apple made a cable that didn't invariably tear apart. you know by, like, using quality material for their cord covers.

Never in my life had a cable have a problem. I have like 5 of them, too. For years.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Or you just ignore Recently Deleted for 30 days and it clears itself out.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dewgy posted:

Or you just ignore Recently Deleted for 30 days and it clears itself out.
I'm just the freak of nature that had to put 100+ gigabytes of music on my new iPhone and janitors my phone on a daily basis :haw:

I have like 2 gigs free on my phone but I try to delete anything and everything I'm not using. It's just annoying when I go to delete photos that they aren't actually deleted by deleting them from the Camera Roll. But like I said, I'm an edge case.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

I'm just the freak of nature that had to put 100+ gigabytes of music on my new iPhone and janitors my phone on a daily basis :haw:

I have like 2 gigs free on my phone but I try to delete anything and everything I'm not using. It's just annoying when I go to delete photos that they aren't actually deleted by deleting them from the Camera Roll. But like I said, I'm an edge case.
Where do 2 hour long EDM sets figure into this whole equation though?

EDIT: Someone compile a list of all the people who said they would REFUSE to buy a new iPhone if it didn't have 2GB RAM or if they camera bump turned out to be true, and then check how many of them now have iPhone 6s.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Where do 2 hour long EDM sets figure into this whole equation though?

It's what he listens while deleting poo poo.

Selane
May 19, 2006

The thing that annoys me is deleting something, then going to recently deleted and having the normal delete spot suddenly occupied by 'restore', and delete suddenly being moved to the bottom left corner...now that is annoying.

Yes, I monitor recently deleted too :ohdear:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh also, is there a way to clear contacts from your phone that aren't in your current contact list? I noticed earlier that when I went to text someone and typed the first letter of their first name, someone who used to be in my contacts a couple years ago but isn't anymore showed up. Like, I haven't texted that person since a couple iPhones ago.

I don't think I have Facebook contacts turned on because I went to Phone > Contacts > Groups and only All iCloud is checked off, not All Facebook. But it's also populating people's Facebook email addresses in there. I went to the iCloud site and went to my contacts thinking I could edit contacts that may have been backed up a long time ago, but that only had my current contacts.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
After seemingly a bazillion months of waiting for SMS texting from my computer, its finally here and working for me. I'm way overjoyed at this. It was one of my most missed features from my android+pc setup.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
1: so at While Foods I still had to enter my pin on the pay pad. Not the most "holy poo poo... The future!" Feeling, but still pretty cool overall.

2: I see in passbook a listing of recent transactions. Will this be more detailed at some point? Like it says time, date, city, state and over on the far right a double dash where I assume "amount" will go? Maybe it needs time to authenticate?

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
Well, this is extremely helpful. Is there any way to figure out which photos will be deleted?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

CoasterMaster posted:

Well, this is extremely helpful. Is there any way to figure out which photos will be deleted?

All of them will be deleted from iTunes because you're a weirdo who syncs their photos with iTunes.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

Whirlwind Jones posted:

All of them will be deleted from iTunes because you're a weirdo who syncs their photos with iTunes.

I didn't even know I synced my photos with iTunes :ohdear:

I have ~3.2k photos on my phone, so I have no idea which 600 are going away.

CoasterMaster fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Oh also, is there a way to clear contacts from your phone that aren't in your current contact list? I noticed earlier that when I went to text someone and typed the first letter of their first name, someone who used to be in my contacts a couple years ago but isn't anymore showed up. Like, I haven't texted that person since a couple iPhones ago.

What I do is just type in each letter of the alphabet and remove those old lingering entries individually by tapping the 'i' and deleting the entry. It takes a while the first time you do it.

Avocados posted:

It was one of my most missed features from my 2004 Nokia.

FTFY