Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

WayAbvPar posted:

I wonder when registration will start? My kid has a soccer game at 11 but I should home just about noon or a bit after. Would like to get into the tourney if only to get a free ticket when the servers melt into slag.

Either way, log in before you go so that if the servers do melt you have a chance of getting some free stuff. The past few, if you've been logged into the client, you've gotten compensation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Otorp
Apr 23, 2006
Its not everyday that one's beliefs are tested. Nope, that happens on Tuesdays. Ye-hup, Tuesdays.
They've updated the announcement to say that anyone logged on between 12pm and 2pm PDT is automatically going to get a Constructed Ticket. I guess this is a preemptive compensation, which I think is smart.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Also a new spoiler;

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

If it wasn't for that triple threshold requirement I'd be all over that for the Army of the Arcane Cinder deck I'm fiddling with, since I'm already planning to use the other two Darkspire troops that get benefits for dying. I'll still probably test with it.

EDIT: Of course, the nice thing is you can easily just include him as a singleton since the other Darkspires fetch him.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 18, 2014

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Reminder that the free tournament is in 40 minutes, also if you are just logged on in general apparently you get a free constructed ticket which is nice because they seem to be barely firing off at this point and I have like 5 tickets for them.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

katkillad2 posted:

Reminder that the free tournament is in 40 minutes, also if you are just logged on in general apparently you get a free constructed ticket which is nice because they seem to be barely firing off at this point and I have like 5 tickets for them.

I'm saving mine for a free and easy way to get set 2 packs, but yeah.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Nearly 700 people in the tournament lobby. I'm going to be amazed if this doesn't crash and burn.

Edit: Now 800.

Protip fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 18, 2014

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

It won't let me log in.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
Chat has crashed, nothing is responsive in the game except the time clock continues to tick.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Chalk me up for another one who has been unable to log back in after the servers seemingly crashing.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Update from HexTCG Twitter: https://twitter.com/HexTCG/status/523551227033182208

quote:

Looks like we encountered our first hiccup in the stress test. We'll update you shortly on what the next step is. Thanks!

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

You can log in, but the Tournaments tab just bluewheels forever apparently.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Hex Chark just said in chat that they are still figuring out stuff with the engineers, with the current plan is to open a bunch of free 128 tournaments for players.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

quote:

UPDATE 2
Hi all. Thanks for participating in our Tournament stress test. We crashed the tournament server with the stress test and as a result the tournament is a no go. Though, the stress test is successful in the sense that the bug fixes we've implemented since the last stress test held up, and we have new data with which the engineers can identify the newly discovered bugs with unlimited, no-player-cap tournaments.

We've made a log of the 815 people who were in the tournament and will award them the following for their time:

3x Event Tickets (free entries) into a constructed queue
1x Event Ticket (free entry) into a scheduled constructed queue

In addition anyone who played a game from Noon to 2 PM Pacific will receive:

1x Event Ticket into a constructed queue

We'll grant these on Monday when we're back in the office. Thanks again for your help improving HEX!

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

What is the difference between tickets for a constructed queue and tickets for a scheduled constructed queue? Aren't all the tournaments scheduled constructed queues right now?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Protip posted:

What is the difference between tickets for a constructed queue and tickets for a scheduled constructed queue? Aren't all the tournaments scheduled constructed queues right now?

The "scheduled constructed queue" event ticket is for the 128 man tournaments and the other is for 8 man tournaments.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

First guy to name a match-up that is slower than Midnight Judgement versus Tupac Control gets a booster pack, and it has to be a deck people actually play in constructed :P.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Mono-B Control mirrormatch.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Zurai posted:

Mono-B Control mirrormatch.
Not sure that's as likely to go to time, as both decks would have cheap threats that can do damage, but it's debatable so whats your IGN?

I'm just having some fun after an incredibly long, strategically interesting but also boring match that I won due to time. Opponent won game one on ~70 life after relentless corruption milling me because he was utterly incapable of killing me with his two wrathwood colossi due to a lixil in play and his second one being a 0/9. He had like 5 minutes left on clock for game two, and had zero threats early game to try and kill me quickly game two.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Same name as here. Honestly though you're probably right, eventually one or the other will be able to fire off back to back Life Siphons to win, or will be able to bait out and neuter their opponent's Inquisitors then attack. I just know when I was playing my B/S control deck, mono-B was easily the longest matches I had.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.
So guys, mailing is in. It's time to run some tournaments and stuff. I was thinking that something we, as a guild, can do to further the Hex community is to run our own league and just let anybody who wants in play, similar to Rock League. I'd be totally fine with putting up some of my packs for rewards.

So what should goons do? Why, The Awful League of course.

We identify the very worst cards in each set, and then require that any deck in our league must use some of those cards. Which will come out on top, Baby Yeti? Zodiac Shaman? I think we should have an even spread from each shard, maybe the two or three very worst from each one?

Then the rules become: You must use 8 (12?) of the cards on the awful list in your deck.

(Maybe ban the "best" cards in the set to shake it up even more?)

What do you guys think? We could also just do it as a tournament if a League doesn't sound good, but as the awful cards would change every set, I think it has staying power as a league. Whether or not it's entertaining, I don't know.

Card nominations:

Artifact: Comet strike, cosmic totem, worker bot factory? (Most artifacts are pretty good)
Blood: Wall of corpses, carrion blob, determined zombie
Diamond: Paladin of Naagaan, Trial of faith, circle of preservation
Sapphire: Zodiac Shaman, shrewd manipulation, cavern commando
Ruby: Baby Yeti, unmerciful tormentor, demolition (crimson clarity?)
Wild: Tectonic Break, Runts of the litter, Nibblin Hunting Pack

If you think the league or tournament is a bad idea, at least weigh in on what cards you think are the most awful.

Afgad fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Oct 20, 2014

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
How is the Minotaur Mercenary no in the list for Ruby?

Edit: Servant of Shathak in Sapphire?

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.

Here is Stovetop posted:

How is the Minotaur Mercenary no in the list for Ruby?

Edit: Servant of Shathak in Sapphire?

I have seen arguments on this forum that minotaur mercenary is not always awful. I've not seen similar of the cards I mentioned.

Honestly it seems like Ruby has the most truly bad cards. That may just be me though.

Edit: Yeah Servant of Shathak is pretty bad in constructed. It's sometimes playable in draft though.

Afgad fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 20, 2014

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
I like this idea but the difficult part will be determining who is actually using all of the awful cards. Cause I could build a deck with 3 copies ea. of two 'awful' cards and play one or two to appear legit.

How about make the eligibility requirement that at least four awfuls have to hit the table for both players. Four of the same awful card, four of any single awful card, etc. This requires you to build a deck with more than four lovely cards else your match is statistically likely to not count. If you play an awful match and four of your bads hit the table but your opponent doesn't reach quota, then you win by default. Can only rack up one quota win a day. (week? idk)

e: i grammar gooder

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
There aren't that many bad cards overall. I think you'd have to just make it that if you have a color in your deck, you have to have four copies of the voted-worst card in that color in your deck.

My votes for worst card:

Diamond: hands down trial of faith
Sapphire: Hard call. Maybe Eldon's Distress Signal.
Blood: Similarly hard call. Maybe Shadow Rend.
Wild: Tectonic Break
Ruby: Minotaur Mercenary at least in constructed.
Artifact: comet strike

My idea to make Trial of Faith work: Mastery of Time and Chimes of the Zodiac.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 20, 2014

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Rage is the only freedom left me.
Laugh at Baby Yeti now but just you wait! Soon they will introduce Lord of Yetis where all Yetis will receive +1/+1 and Rubywalk. Then Baby Yeti will be the one laughing!!:toughguy:

Ruby really does have some terrible cards, lets not forget those 3/2 crush ants. I end up with like 4 of those every draft.

Another interesting way to do a league/tourney is instead of requiring low tier cards in decks, to just either restrict/ban the power tier cards. I think without cards like Extinction, Angel, Vamp King, Time Mastery, etc... you would get some pretty cool decks that would naturally use less commonly used cards in cool combos.

Whatever we do a League/Tourney sounds like a cool idea.:neckbeard:

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
Anyone have any beta keys? I'd really like to try this out, thinking of transitioning a bit from Magic to Hex.

Valicious fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 20, 2014

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Valicious posted:

Anyone have any beta keys? I'd really like to try this out, thinking of transitioning a bit from Magic to Hex.
Emailed you a key.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
So, serious questions.

Do you believe that by the end of this year set 2 will be out?

Do you believe that by the end of next year there will be PVE content?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Gross Dude posted:

So, serious questions.

At this point? No. If we get Set 2 before Jan 1, 2015, I will be legitimately surprised.

quote:

I believe there will be PvE content added to the game before December 31, 2015, yes.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I'm an optimist. I think we will have Set 2 in 2014 (open beta in November, Set 2 in December assuming open beta isn't a huge fiasco), and some sort of PVE content in the first half of 2015.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
I can't say I like the idea of the Awful League, mainly because it'd be hard to enforce.

How about a Cheapskate League? Nothing above 2 or 3 cost can be in your deck. Though Living Totem may have to be banned.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Afgad posted:

So guys, mailing is in. It's time to run some tournaments and stuff. I was thinking that something we, as a guild, can do to further the Hex community is to run our own league and just let anybody who wants in play, similar to Rock League. I'd be totally fine with putting up some of my packs for rewards.

So what should goons do? Why, The Awful League of course.

We identify the very worst cards in each set, and then require that any deck in our league must use some of those cards. Which will come out on top, Baby Yeti? Zodiac Shaman? I think we should have an even spread from each shard, maybe the two or three very worst from each one?

Then the rules become: You must use 8 (12?) of the cards on the awful list in your deck.

(Maybe ban the "best" cards in the set to shake it up even more?)

What do you guys think? We could also just do it as a tournament if a League doesn't sound good, but as the awful cards would change every set, I think it has staying power as a league. Whether or not it's entertaining, I don't know.

Card nominations:

Artifact: Comet strike, cosmic totem, worker bot factory? (Most artifacts are pretty good)
Blood: Wall of corpses, carrion blob, determined zombie
Diamond: Paladin of Naagaan, Trial of faith, circle of preservation
Sapphire: Zodiac Shaman, shrewd manipulation, cavern commando
Ruby: Baby Yeti, unmerciful tormentor, demolition (crimson clarity?)
Wild: Tectonic Break, Runts of the litter, Nibblin Hunting Pack

If you think the league or tournament is a bad idea, at least weigh in on what cards you think are the most awful.

I think you make Awful decks by stack ranking the cards by rarity and banning a certain number of cards per rarity.

There are:

113 commons total
99 uncommons total
105 rares total
23 legendaries total

I think you shave the top ~20-40% of each of those and you get "awful league". Enforcing a banlist is very easy, enforcing an include list is very hard, and the include list rules that have been laid out are going to result in a lot of T1 with 8 dead cards type decks, I think, whereas an outright ban list is going to enforce a new meta.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

SilentSnake76 has ran a tournament that followed similar rules to what Sigma-X is proposing, only in that case players each took turns banning cards, and then later restricting (max two copies). It makes for a fun environment but it meant almost all removal got banned or restricted. Sigma's suggestion has potentially more broad deck building appeal, as long as the bans are well considered & don't restrict strategies, more encourage different strategies.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
Yeah, I like Sigma's proposal. I've seen snake's tournies on twitch, though I missed that particular one. I can certainly see ban lists being the least work.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Gross Dude posted:

So, serious questions.

At this point I will be impressed if set 2 is out before the end of the year. If they follow their stated timeline we still have to wait for open beta and I get the impression they want one of these stress test weekends to go smoothly before they go to open beta. Then there will probably be weeks after open beta before set 2 as well to make sure everything is stabilized.

I think we will see PVE sometime next year, but certainly not all of it. We haven't even seen it running on a PC yet. Also every card has equipment so releasing another set just added another 300+ pieces of equipment they have to figure out unless they scale back their vision and equipment becomes more like gems.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

katkillad2 posted:

At this point I will be impressed if set 2 is out before the end of the year. If they follow their stated timeline we still have to wait for open beta and I get the impression they want one of these stress test weekends to go smoothly before they go to open beta. Then there will probably be weeks after open beta before set 2 as well to make sure everything is stabilized.

I think we will see PVE sometime next year, but certainly not all of it. We haven't even seen it running on a PC yet. Also every card has equipment so releasing another set just added another 300+ pieces of equipment they have to figure out unless they scale back their vision and equipment becomes more like gems.

My guess is we won't see the equipment with the initial PVE release.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My guess is we won't see the equipment with the initial PVE release.

I like this and think it's true. Equipment is what made me question when exactly PVE would come out, because like what katkillad2 said, there is a ton of equipment they would have to create, and from the looks of some of the proposed equipment effects, some of it isn't trivial stuff.

Equipment for a set seems probably as hard as designing the set itself, if not harder.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Remember that there's a bigger margin for error in equipment design than set design, since they can and will nerf/buff PVE stuff post-release.

But yeah, I don't see equipment coming with the initial PVE release. Or PVE-specific cards, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Gross Dude posted:

So, serious questions.

I look back on peoples guess' for my Terrible Prize and ponder how naive we were to think that "soon" meant soon :allears:

We are always given the impression that they have so much which they just can't show us right away, especially now they can't because everyone would be like "alright, when will it be in-game?" and then everyone gets pissy when that self-imposed deadline gets breached - I've still got faith that we will have Set 2 soon soon but have trouble believing we'll have full PvE before the end of next year (so Equipment, Mercenaries, etc)

Also as to league type stuff I love the idea of finding some way to make bad cards good but I wouldn't trust non-goons not to gently caress that up by cheating. I wonder if future player-supported tournaments will be able to specify their own formats in that sort of way?

• Locked thread