Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

SB35 posted:

Just got an email telling me that "OMG IN 7 DAYS YOU CAN PREORDER THE ONEPLUS ONE WITHOUT NEEDING AN INVITE!!1!"

Not that I'd suggest anyone settle on a OnePlus, just thought someone in here might give a gently caress.

Of course they're sticking to OnePlus tradition by turning even this into a clusterfuck and opening preorders for only one hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Skarsnik posted:

Is there a goon recommended Bluetooth thingy I can use as a trusted device?

When I am at home I plan on using the USB bluetooth adapter on my always on PC. This way when I am at home no lock screen, can't wait. For on the go, I don't know.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Skarsnik posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-BT-225-Tag-Alarm/dp/B005DIPMKM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413828039&sr=8-1&keywords=cobra+bluetooth+keychain

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

b0nes posted:

How about the Pebble?

I'm thinking more along the lines of a dumb thing I can attach to my keys

E: ^ yeah like that, wonder what UK availability is like

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 20, 2014

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

kri kri posted:

N6 preorders starting 10/29

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_6_32GB_Midnight_Blue?id=nexus_6_blue_32gb

Hope I dont have to send them a pic of my titties

But but but it's so expensive. I mean it's about the same size as the Iphone 6+ and has the same amount of space, and costs more. What a rip off!

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Penguissimo posted:

Of course they're sticking to OnePlus tradition by turning even this into a clusterfuck and opening preorders for only one hour.

They're mental. I never would have bothered even trying to buy one if it wasn't for the fact that a mate was randomly giving away invites on Facebook. As it is, I'm too pleased with the phone itself to care about their ridiculous antics but it must be really frustrating if you're still trying to get one, or going through the RMA process which seems pretty terrible.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Penguissimo posted:

But you see, by generating artificial scarcity, they're making the phone more rare, awesome, and valuable from a collection standpoint! It's brilliant marketing!

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

G-Prime posted:

But you see, by generating artificial scarcity, they're making the phone more rare, awesome, and valuable from a collection standpoint! It's brilliant marketing!

I doubt it's artificial. Making things is hard, making things at scale is harder. Likely they can hardly make any units (similar to the Ouya debacle) and are trying to make it look like a premium product instead of saying "opps we can only make a thousand at a time and 1/3 are screwed up".

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
It is hard, don't get me wrong. But the specific tactics they're using aren't exactly the most consumer friendly. They could just as easily set up a signup with a wait list and fulfill requests in order, while providing periodic updates on stock and manufacturing timelines.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

FordPRefectLL posted:

arus quit trolling me it's brasky

I travel internationally a lot so having tons of extra storage available to me is extremely useful and SD cards corrupt way too frequently for me to trust them. I also scan an assload of documents for work with my phone.

This, plus with a phone rather than a tablet, you also have your own photos and videos. If you use the fancy HD video camera on your phone at all, it'll fill up and give you an error in an hour or so ( assuming you already have other stuff).

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

G-Prime posted:

It is hard, don't get me wrong. But the specific tactics they're using aren't exactly the most consumer friendly. They could just as easily set up a signup with a wait list and fulfill requests in order, while providing periodic updates on stock and manufacturing timelines.

If someone sees that they're not going to get the phone for 6 months, they'll likely look elsewhere. If there's a chance to get an invite along the way, they're more likely to keep holding out trying to get lucky.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

G-Prime posted:

They could just as easily set up a signup with a wait list and fulfill requests in order, while providing periodic updates on stock and manufacturing timelines.
Why would they settle for that?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
It's more exciting to win things, even if it's the opportunity to exchange money for garbage.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Skarsnik posted:

I use a Cobra Tag, which works nicely, but it used to get like 4 days of battery out of it. Now I get about 2. I'm thinking of getting one of these once Motorola has a decent sale on them: http://www.motorola.com/us/accessories-batteries-chargers/Power-Pack-Micro/power-pack-micro-pdp.html

With a 1500 mah battery, it should last forever if I don't use it to charge my phone. And it looks small enough to easily fit on my keychain.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What case are you Note 4 users currently using?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="436548631"]
I use a Cobra Tag, which works nicely, but it used to get like 4 days of battery out of it. Now I get about 2. I'm thinking of getting one of these once Motorola has a decent sale on them: http://www.motorola.com/us/accessories-batteries-chargers/Power-Pack-Micro/power-pack-micro-pdp.html

With a 1500 mah battery, it should last forever if I don't use it to charge my phone. And it looks small enough to easily fit on my keychain.

That and the cobra tag seem very unavailable in the UK, ah well

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

So just to be clear, you guys are talking about buying a little battery powered thing that goes on your keychain and needs to be recharged every four days, which does nothing but tell your phone "i am near the user", so that it can stay unlocked and save you five seconds of unlocking the screen with a passcode?

Why the gently caress would you also want to have to recharge your loving keys?

:psyduck:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

So just to be clear, you guys are talking about buying a little battery powered thing that goes on your keychain and needs to be recharged every four days, which does nothing but tell your phone "i am near the user", so that it can stay unlocked and save you five seconds of unlocking the screen with a passcode?

Imagine if it had wireless charging. :allears:

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Imagine if it had wireless charging. :allears:

And an SD card

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Penguissimo posted:

And an SD card

And a hardware keyboard

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sagebrush posted:

The other thing it does really well is help you locate your keys or phone if you've lost one of them, but still have the other nearby. As long as its in bluetooth range, yes, but it's still a pretty nice value add.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Sagebrush posted:

Yes, five seconds. Every time. I probably unlock my phone a hundred times a day, if not more. And it also makes sure I don't lose my keys or phone. WHAT A HORRIBLE WAY TO LIVE MY LIFE

Skarsnik posted:

That and the cobra tag seem very unavailable in the UK, ah well

Try eBay for a Cobra Tag.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I really like the idea of that Moto battery thing, but it looks fairly bulky to just walk around with it in my pocket. I guess it would just live in my bag most of the time, but still...

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
What about a small bluetooth ear piece? It could even be useful if you actually use your phone to talk to someone.

Selane
May 19, 2006

nimper posted:

And a hardware keyboard

Throw some capacitive keys and a screen protector on there for good measure.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

rock2much posted:

What case are you Note 4 users currently using?

Currently naked as I can't find a case that won't make a Really Big phone Obnoxiously Wide as well. On the plus side, I no longer need to drink coffee or energy drinks as the constant stress and adrenaline keeps me on edge.

SonnyTheGreat
Jan 19, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I got mine for a few reasons. First is that our Exchange Server requires a PIN-type lock at work, so I'm required to have one, but it's annoying as gently caress (since you still have to hit an enter button after keying the PIN. It's so annoying to me, dunno why). I'm coming from a Note 2 and it's monstrous (and swapable) battery, to a 2014 X so having the little extra battery power with me is nice. There's also the added benefit of using it to locate my keys or phone with it. For $40, it was a better option for me than the 360.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I don't have a passcode on my phone, because I have nothing of value on my phone, inside my brain, or in my life. The answer to the Note 4 case, is, *clears throat* A Full Size Potato Sack.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
You don't have to have a phone pin lock if you use a 3rd party exchange app, sondogg. Then the pin lock is only required to access your exchange mail/when you open said app, not the phone itself.

Example app:nine

Have to change default security setting in app to "app based" instead of device based.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 20, 2014

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Advice posted:

Currently naked as I can't find a case that won't make a Really Big phone Obnoxiously Wide as well. On the plus side, I no longer need to drink coffee or energy drinks as the constant stress and adrenaline keeps me on edge.

I'm thinking about getting this http://www.amazon.com/Galaxy-Spigen%C2%AE-Perfect-Fit-Premium-Samsung/dp/B00MAWRX0Q

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

People with phones with removable batteries: do you carry a spare battery? How often do you swap batteries?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

People with phones with removable batteries: do you carry a spare battery? How often do you swap batteries?

I had a spare battery for my Galaxy Nexus a while back because that thing was a piece of poo poo, I would have to swap batteries if say I was at work, then went out after work and didn't have like a 6 hour gap to charge the fucker. I hated that phone.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
I have a spare battery, since buying a new one came with two for cheap. I swapped out the launch battery since my S3 is like two years old and the battery life was poo poo. I don't carry the second new one. I've got a 6000 mAh portable charger for mid-day recharging if I need it.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

notwithoutmyanus posted:

You don't have to have a phone pin lock if you use a 3rd party exchange app, sondogg. Then the pin lock is only required to access your exchange mail/when you open said app, not the phone itself.

Example app:nine

Have to change default security setting in app to "app based" instead of device based.

Probably ok for some but that would be a worse solution for me.

Little battery dongle that lets me find my keys or phone and unlocks it when in range for under $40 sounds perfect, who gives a poo poo if I have to charge it every 4-5 days. Trusted device owns and I'm glad they added it.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="436551411"]
Try eBay for a Cobra Tag.

Both of these look to work the same as the cobra tag, and I like the look of them better. The Elgato claims a 6 month battery life too. Any reason these wouldn't work with smartlock?

Nokia Treasure Tag
Elgato Smart Key

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
This is supposed to fit in your wallet:

http://www.amazon.com/Wallet-TrackR-Bluetooth-Device-Packaging/dp/B00FK0ECYA

edit:

Heres a wallet with a bluetooth tracker built in?
http://www.amazon.com/Royce-Leather-Freedom-Wallet-RFTR-110-BLK-5/dp/B00F4KH5JU

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 20, 2014

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

wooger posted:

Both of these look to work the same as the cobra tag, and I like the look of them better. The Elgato claims a 6 month battery life too. Any reason these wouldn't work with smartlock?

Nokia Treasure Tag
Elgato Smart Key

The Elgato claims to only work with ios devices, so take that for what it's worth. Since it's just a bluetooth device, I bet you could connect to it anyways, but who knows.

I don't think anything is wrong with the Nokia one, looks a lot better than the Cobra.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

That elegato one looks perfect, I'll order one and report back, I can always return it if it doesn't work

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Ok this looks good:

https://www.sticknfind.com/sticknfind.aspx

quote:

Tech Specs

Connectivity: Bluetooth 4.0 (Bluetooth Low Energy)
Range: Approximately 100 feet line of sight.
Battery: Lasts up to 1 year (based on 30min. a day use).
Battery Type: CR2016 watch battery (replaceable).

StickNFind Stickers have a Range of about 100 Feet, with a battery that lasts up to a year. The StickNFind uses a standard watch battery, so it is easy to replace the battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

If someone picks this up please report back on how well it works!

• Locked thread