Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Getting the level 3 weapons in Adventure is going to make the costumes in Master Quest easier to get, but the reverse is not true, so I'd say you'd want to at least get the weapons first. Master Quest tiles don't seem to be much more difficult than their Adventure counterparts though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

RyokoTK posted:

Getting the level 3 weapons in Adventure is going to make the costumes in Master Quest easier to get, but the reverse is not true, so I'd say you'd want to at least get the weapons first. Master Quest tiles don't seem to be much more difficult than their Adventure counterparts though.

I found them to be more immediately harder and they seem to pour out the Dinolfos in the Adventure Battle ones like the later ones in the normal adventure mode did, but I've only played about four and maybe I'm just learning the quirks of the rules.

For example, in the first "Kill a ton of things," level for example, they don't tell you the number you're supposed to get, just give you a time limit, and contrary to normal Adventure Mode, you want to kill the other playable character right away, as that will generate more enemies to kill. It was fine once I knew that and fairly easy to get an A rank, but it takes some learning.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Bicyclops posted:

I found them to be more immediately harder and they seem to pour out the Dinolfos in the Adventure Battle ones like the later ones in the normal adventure mode did, but I've only played about four and maybe I'm just learning the quirks of the rules.

For example, in the first "Kill a ton of things," level for example, they don't tell you the number you're supposed to get, just give you a time limit, and contrary to normal Adventure Mode, you want to kill the other playable character right away, as that will generate more enemies to kill. It was fine once I knew that and fairly easy to get an A rank, but it takes some learning.

The game describes the mission to you in the tile description ("kill as many enemies as you can") and the in-mission text literally says "kill Fi to make more enemies appear" or whoever.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

RyokoTK posted:

The game describes the mission to you in the tile description ("kill as many enemies as you can") and the in-mission text literally says "kill Fi to make more enemies appear" or whoever.

Is it in the bottom of the screen? I miss half of those, and it's usually the half involving what I'm supposed to do to prevent the Cuccos from assembling in a horde and murdering me.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah, you might want to try paying more attention to that text. There's usually a sound cue when the messages pop up too.

It would be a lot more convenient if it were voiced, but you know how Nintendo feels about voice work. :sigh:

(e: Although the narration between missions in Legend Mode is pretty awful, so maybe it's for the best.)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, it just pops up and then disappears so fast! I often find myself seeing pieces of it out of the corner of my eye just before it vanishes.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
My favorite part about the on-screen messages is the priority some stuff gets. Clear out a keep on a turncoat stage, Turncoat Leader does not immediately appear, messages about every other thing happening everywhere else on the map start popping up so instead of sitting around doing nothing I figure "well I should go out and kill stuff", Turncoat Leader revealed! is the last message and THEN the loving thing spawns so I gotta turn around and go kill him. Just spawn the goddamned guy regardless if I get a message or not game, sheesh. Make them the loving Keep Boss even, just make the whole ordeal way less aggravating.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah, you might want to try paying more attention to that text. There's usually a sound cue when the messages pop up too.

It would be a lot more convenient if it were voiced, but you know how Nintendo feels about voice work. :sigh:

(e: Although the narration between missions in Legend Mode is pretty awful, so maybe it's for the best.)

Kid Icarus was fully voiced, I'm still convinced it was done as a parody. There is no way that was intended as serious voice acting, which just makes the game better as a comedy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

pixaal posted:

Kid Icarus was fully voiced, I'm still convinced it was done as a parody. There is no way that was intended as serious voice acting, which just makes the game better as a comedy.

Kid Icarus' voice acting was goofy Saturday morning cartoon fair and it owns for that.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Do you have to turn the network options on, or do I just have no friends?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Bit late to the party, I suppose, but I got this on Saturday and just finished Legend Mode on normal. What a fun game! It's nice having a Dynasty Warriors with recognizable names besides, like, Guan Yu :v:

Anything I "should" be doing now that I've finished that story, especially as far as character unlocks? Or is it pretty "gently caress it whatever, go nuts" from here on out?

RocketDarkness
Jun 3, 2008

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Do you have to turn the network options on, or do I just have no friends?

They are turned off by default for some reason. Every time you enter Adventure Mode, it should ask you if you want to connect to the network (if they are turned on).

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Ciaphas posted:

Bit late to the party, I suppose, but I got this on Saturday and just finished Legend Mode on normal. What a fun game! It's nice having a Dynasty Warriors with recognizable names besides, like, Guan Yu :v:

Anything I "should" be doing now that I've finished that story, especially as far as character unlocks?

You will find that Adventure Mode is about ten times longer than Legend Mode and is the real meat (and difficulty) of the game.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Okay so I have a few questions:

1. How does one play Agitha "right"? I feel like there's an aspect to this character I'm missing--am I trying to get people launched into the air so I can combo them with the butterfly? Similarly, is Midna supposed to played at range? Do we have character-specific strategies hammered down yet? Because Midna, Agitha, and Ruto feel very hard for me to play effectively.

2. What's the best way to deal with the "Kill X in Y" missions? Killing the big boss monsters takes too much time--heck, it seems the best strategy is to just kill the mooks and ignore the bosses or the player characters, but if I do that, I get wrecked by Gohmas. I'm specifically having some troubles getting anything better than a C-ranking in the Kill 600 mission with Agitha--Two Gohmas and she's so friggin' slow!

3. Does the vanilla Adventure map have alternate costumes? I am feeling a bit disappointed if all the costumes are DLC only.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Okay so I have a few questions:

1. How does one play Agitha "right"? I feel like there's an aspect to this character I'm missing--am I trying to get people launched into the air so I can combo them with the butterfly? Similarly, is Midna supposed to played at range? Do we have character-specific strategies hammered down yet? Because Midna, Agitha, and Ruto feel very hard for me to play effectively.

2. What's the best way to deal with the "Kill X in Y" missions? Killing the big boss monsters takes too much time--heck, it seems the best strategy is to just kill the mooks and ignore the bosses or the player characters, but if I do that, I get wrecked by Gohmas. I'm specifically having some troubles getting anything better than a C-ranking in the Kill 600 mission with Agitha--Two Gohmas and she's so friggin' slow!

3. Does the vanilla Adventure map have alternate costumes? I am feeling a bit disappointed if all the costumes are DLC only.

1. As Agitha, I like to fire YYYX into crowds and then divebomb another group that didn't get caught by the tornado to take out hordes of mooks. For captains YX juggling is best. Her weak point smash is incredibly powerful seemingly.
For Midna, just spam the YYYYX run all day. YYXX seems to do decent damage to single targets.

2. For Gohma, just wait til it lasers, shoot it in the eye, and run away while it lies uselessly on the floor.

3. Nope.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, it just pops up and then disappears so fast! I often find myself seeing pieces of it out of the corner of my eye just before it vanishes.

You can check previous messages on the pause screen.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I love that they make you do Ruto's level 3 weapon with Lana's spear in Master quest

And by love I mean gently caress you game.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I love that they make you do Ruto's level 3 weapon with Lana's spear in Master quest

And by love I mean gently caress you game.

Spear is pretty good. Use BBBBX, dash-cancel before she jumps into the air, suddenly she's very strong at everything.

Unrelated: I'm not sure if everyone's aware, but the latest patch (1.3.0) now allows you to disable character/boss introductions in Adventure Mode. And you really, really want to do that.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 21, 2014

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Dunban posted:

You can check previous messages on the pause screen.

They also show on the controller screen if you are using the pad. Why aren't you using the massive pad?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

That's lame! Does the DLC at least have a new costume for every character then? Or just Link and Zelda?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

That's lame! Does the DLC at least have a new costume for every character then? Or just Link and Zelda?

Every character. Cia actually starts with three outfits, but it's really just different levels of hatlessness.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 21, 2014

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Bicyclops posted:

This is real problem with Manhandla and Gohma. It's not even really a problem in the stages where you have to fight multiple bosses, it's the stages where you basically have to ignore them so you can get your kills on time. Two Gohmas rushing around firing eye lasers at everyone really want your attention! Manhandla is fine except that he spins all over the stage.

Multiple boss levels are a problem when No-Heal is on, and every time the one Manhandla has its weak point up, the other is half-way clipped through it and excited to use Bullet Seed on your rear end. It sucks to avoid them both since they give good exp/loot/spawn more dudes.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

For Midna, her BBBBY charges her darkness meter on the final hit. Once you've done that, her BBBY will draw in enemies from nearby (and if you have darkness+ on your weapon, start building up the increased damage debuff on them), and anything that survives that will be in perfect position to hit them with the BBY. If anything survives that, smack them with a special.

If you have a few tough enemies that are already close together, you can skip the second step if you're strong enough. The BBY hits pretty hard.

The hardest part with Midna at first is reliably doing her BBBY and BBBBY without getting the wrong one, the timing between them is tricky. Her third light attack is a downward palm slam, the fourth summons two wolves to lunge forward. If the wolves have appeared before you hit Y then you'll get the BBBBY, even if they haven't hit anything yet.

For Agitha, I find that her BBBBY is very strong against both single enemies and groups of mooks. I tend to follow it up with more mashing of Y for a quick butterfly divebomb. If an enemy's in my face I'll launch them with BY to buy time for the longer combo, or BBY if they're moving towards me but aren't too close yet.

The BBY is great for weak point breaking because you can do it in advance, dodge-cancel once the circle appears, then have your next combo and the beetle both hitting the target just as the weak point appears.

Her BBBBY can smash all the Imprisoned's toes in one hit if you can do it from directly to the side, and you can start the combo from outside its stomp damage range :toot:

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

This is probably the best character/unlocks guide that I've found anywhere, and should be in the OP:

http://www.ign.com/wikis/hyrule-warriors/Character_and_Weapon_Unlocks

If it's already there, I'm dumb.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Suaimhneas posted:

For Agitha, I find that her BBBBY is very strong against both single enemies and groups of mooks. I tend to follow it up with more mashing of Y for a quick butterfly divebomb. If an enemy's in my face I'll launch them with BY to buy time for the longer combo, or BBY if they're moving towards me but aren't too close yet.

The BBY is great for weak point breaking because you can do it in advance, dodge-cancel once the circle appears, then have your next combo and the beetle both hitting the target just as the weak point appears.

Her BBBBY can smash all the Imprisoned's toes in one hit if you can do it from directly to the side, and you can start the combo from outside its stomp damage range :toot:

I'm gonna go further with this and say that I am very fond of Agitha's BBBY, the tornado move. The reason being that, once you have swept up mobs in the tornado, she mounts her butterfly which allows you to get off an air BBB combo on said mobs. If you time it right, you can follow this with Y which does the dive bomb explosion finisher, which can hit mobs not swept up in the tornado. It's pretty good, I've found.

BBBBY owns though, and BBY is great for zoning generals.

EDIT: The only problem with BBY is that it doesn't do a ton of damage.

EDIT2: I unlocked Fi's lv 2 weapon through Legend Mode, is that not supposed to happen???

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 21, 2014

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Fix posted:

I'm totally in the same boat.

The trick to that one is to basically ignore all the beefy enemies you don't have to kill and focus on getting keeps and mooks, because Ganondorf is too slow to deal with multiple aggressive foes at once. Unlike most other maps, your allies should be just fine dealing with the tougher enemies, including Agatha.

Speaking of, Agatha's level 3 mission is still a giant pain in the rear end. She's so slow and clunky that a single bad position can ruin your damage rating.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Anyone know any tricks for Zants level 3? It wouldn't be nearly as bad if I didn't have to waste time chasing down those Manhandala stalks, but between that and all the loving HP blobs it's hard to get done in time. Should I just ignore the Scout Captain or what?

edit: I'm doing a lot of totem pole spam to build up my crazy meter and then just doing a lot of spinning

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 21, 2014

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

The trick to that one is to basically ignore all the beefy enemies you don't have to kill and focus on getting keeps and mooks, because Ganondorf is too slow to deal with multiple aggressive foes at once. Unlike most other maps, your allies should be just fine dealing with the tougher enemies, including Agatha.

Fifteen seconds too slow! :negative:

What's the lower limit on mooks killed for an A ranking again?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fix posted:

Fifteen seconds too slow! :negative:

What's the lower limit on mooks killed for an A ranking again?

1200. Generally it's safe to head for the enemy captain at the 1000 mark, because enemies in the central base never stop spawning and you can pick up the rest of the kills while wearing down the boss.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

After a minor database fuckup, the DLC badges have been added to my badge/material tracker.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

The defeat all enemies mission where two Gohma are chasing you....

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm still chipping away at Adventure Mode. It's basically a tiny little square of four in the lower right corner and a large chunk of the top of the map I still have to beat, with a lot of silver that I have to turn to gold along all of the edges. I think the DLC actually made things a little harder, because I've been spending all my rupees leveling Cia's clown crew to try to catch them up. I almost got Ruto's Level 3, but the Icy Big Poe and Fiery Aerolfos dogpile finally got a few good hits in. The good thing is that once you've sucked up that much damage, you can stop worrying about time and just kill every officer slowly and carefully, then rush around taking all the keeps, opening heart container chests and collecting that one skulltula. :unsmith:

In my sleep, I'm going to be ducking Manhandla stalk bombs while I chase after a Bombchu that's about to explode and Lana is screaming for help in another corner in the map.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So I accidentally used up a hookshot on a wrong spot during the Master Quest map. There are no more hookshots on the mapscreen, uh. Anyone have a solution? I'm right below Links new 8-bit weapon and I need it.

Also Zelda's 8-bit quest is a real jackass. It's Sheik's level 3 weapon quest and speedrun required... only you have to fight the imprisoned after felling 'dorf.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So I accidentally used up a hookshot on a wrong spot during the Master Quest map. There are no more hookshots on the mapscreen, uh. Anyone have a solution? I'm right below Links new 8-bit weapon and I need it.

Beat a few easy levels and the hookshot will regenerate. I feel your pain; I used the ladder on the wrong raft the first time. :argh:

Magnatux
Nov 13, 2004

The surrealistic adventure became my world.
Just unlocked Shiek's L3. B14 and B15 are the worst. I'm sure there's more but wow. Super annoying. Will this new weapon start randomly dropping now? Or do we have to re-beat B15 to get more?

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Bicyclops posted:

Beat a few easy levels and the hookshot will regenerate. I feel your pain; I used the ladder on the wrong raft the first time. :argh:

For future reference, if you waste an item you can shut the system off without it saving your mishap. Once you get back into Adventure Mode it'll leave you off where you were when you beat the last stage you beat.

Truxton fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 21, 2014

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Magnatux posted:

Just unlocked Shiek's L3. B14 and B15 are the worst. I'm sure there's more but wow. Super annoying. Will this new weapon start randomly dropping now? Or do we have to re-beat B15 to get more?

They will randomly drop, but bear in mind that harder missions drop better weapons.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm slowly but surely getting able to get A-rankings on these tougher missions. Of course, I still have to do the Gold Skulltulas. Killing 1000 guys is easy but doing 1200 and not taking more than four hearts is less so.

Out of curiosity, I had thought that freeing the fairy in levels where there are elemental damage keeps made you immune to that elemental damage, but I still take damage in those keeps. Had I misread that message?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Finally got the last of the skulltulas in the normal adventure map, and in the process discovered the best way to use the baton. Namely, never use its combo finishers (except C5 for clearing keeps).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

I'm slowly but surely getting able to get A-rankings on these tougher missions. Of course, I still have to do the Gold Skulltulas. Killing 1000 guys is easy but doing 1200 and not taking more than four hearts is less so.

Out of curiosity, I had thought that freeing the fairy in levels where there are elemental damage keeps made you immune to that elemental damage, but I still take damage in those keeps. Had I misread that message?

The fairy is an item, and you have to use it in its respective keep. Some stages have multiple elemental keeps but only one fairy, so you have to choose which keep to use it on. The other keep you can either eat the damage (not a big deal if you can clear it quickly), use focus spirit since that protects you from elemental keeps, or avoid that keep altogether.

As for 4 damage skulltulas, remember that those don't have time requirements like A-ranking a stage does. You can take your sweet time and play it as safe as you possibly can as long as you complete the mission and get the kills.

• Locked thread