Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Huh, I remember the right hander but didn't remember anything about it decreasing. Cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

hot sauce posted:

Congrats on passing. It's a great time to find a deal on a bike right now fyi

Thanks everyone, it was pretty exciting. Is there a FAQ or the like on gear and bikes? Seems like from what I've read from the threads here it's basically 1 hour in-store try on for helmet with dot/snell/damnit just buy shoei and then wear lots of other gear from revzilla/motorcycle gear.com. On bikes it seems like it's just buy a ninja 250 and then get something else.

Angryboot posted:

Huh, I remember the right hander but didn't remember anything about it decreasing. Cool.

It didn't seem like it was decreasing much, if at all, to me. Probably because i amwe are so good at motorcycles. :hellyeah:

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
You're pretty much right; go into a store and try everything on to find out what brand+size fits. Ask questions on specific items in the gear thread, etc.

Ninja 250s are recommended all the time because they're great. I still have mine and use it a few days per week.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.
After half a year of lurking this forum and listening to my dad talk about riding I finally signed up for the BRC...which is today. Not too nervous since I got a bit of practice in beforehand and it sounds like if I listen to what they are saying I should be fine.

I'm way excited to pass this and get riding. Too bad this is CT and the good riding months are over.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Great time to start seeing decent deals popping up then. I bought my last 2 bikes in Feb and I'm still happy with what I paid.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

Drone Incognito posted:

After half a year of lurking this forum and listening to my dad talk about riding I finally signed up for the BRC...which is today. Not too nervous since I got a bit of practice in beforehand and it sounds like if I listen to what they are saying I should be fine.

I'm way excited to pass this and get riding. Too bad this is CT and the good riding months are over.

Quoting myself for a trip report saying I passed! The class was 5 experienced riders (one Harley guy who had to let everyone know Loud Pipes Save Lives, but who otherwise a great guy and was extremely supportive) and three newbies. I did get 18 points docked though. Lost them on the box, for going too slow on the cornering, and for not making my quick stop fast enough. It rained both range days so I think I was just too cautious because of the rain, which turned out to be the somewhat smart thing since the two other inexperienced guys grabbed the front too hard and dumped the bikes on the quick stop. All in all I learned a hell of a lot and think it should probably be mandatory in the other states too. So next spring you'll have another goon to harass in the asylum.

Unrelated: My dad's friend has a really well taken care of 2007 Ninja 650 that he is willing to sell me. Assuming I don't go balls to the wall, is that a bike appropriate for a beginner?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Drone Incognito posted:

Quoting myself for a trip report saying I passed! The class was 5 experienced riders (one Harley guy who had to let everyone know Loud Pipes Save Lives, but who otherwise a great guy and was extremely supportive) and three newbies. I did get 18 points docked though. Lost them on the box, for going too slow on the cornering, and for not making my quick stop fast enough. It rained both range days so I think I was just too cautious because of the rain, which turned out to be the somewhat smart thing since the two other inexperienced guys grabbed the front too hard and dumped the bikes on the quick stop. All in all I learned a hell of a lot and think it should probably be mandatory in the other states too. So next spring you'll have another goon to harass in the asylum.

Unrelated: My dad's friend has a really well taken care of 2007 Ninja 650 that he is willing to sell me. Assuming I don't go balls to the wall, is that a bike appropriate for a beginner?

Congrats, I was the only newbie in my group last month. Everyone was super supportive and friendly, too. You might want to check in the bike suggestion thread in case some of them don't read this thread. If you get a good enough deal on it I think it would be hard to pass up, but I think everyone else will suggest you look for a smaller bike. You've taken the course though, so you obviously have an eye on being safer than your typical 600cc+ beginner.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Drone Incognito posted:

Quoting myself for a trip report saying I passed!

Congrats on passing.

The 2007 Ninja 650 has a rear wheel HP of 64.8 hp (48.3 kW) @ 9,000 rpm. It's a parallel twin so the power delivery should be pretty linear. If you don't go crazy it should be OK. It's about right on the edge of what in my opinion would consider a started bike.

As an example a first gen SV650 is rated 64.2 hp (47.9 kW) @ 9000 rpm.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The Ninja 650 is a fine bike to start on.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

Thanks for the opinions. He is going to sell it to me for somewhere around 2-2.5k, so I really don't think I can pass that up.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I'm watching twist of the wrist 2 and holy poo poo this movie is fantastic. I love these two guys.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

builds character posted:

I'm watching twist of the wrist 2 and holy poo poo this movie is fantastic. I love these two guys.

Is the DVD similar to the book as being an instructional guide to riding fast and safe?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

mrlego posted:

Is the DVD similar to the book as being an instructional guide to riding fast and safe?

I haven't read the book but it looks like it. It's on YouTube and it's amazing.

Edit: at least the first 45 minutes is worth watching for anyone I think. I haven't gotten further.

builds character fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 15, 2014

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

builds character posted:

I haven't read the book but it looks like it. It's on YouTube and it's amazing.

Edit: at least the first 45 minutes is worth watching for anyone I think. I haven't gotten further.

Thanks. I will check it out.

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

builds character posted:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

That is the moment in the film that led me to make that post!

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe
The best part of Twist of the Wrist 2 isn't the cheesy acting, it's the British narrator that sounds like just like Brick Top (Alan Ford) from the movie Snatch. I kept waiting for him to sick the dogs on me if I failed to counter steer properly.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That's Julian Ryder, he color commentates on BTSport for MotoGP.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
He and Keith whatshisname are the best motorsports commentary team since Hunt/Walker.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Nah Toby Moody/Jules (and if you wanna go back a ways, Randi Mamola in the pit lane) was the best. Heuwen argues too much but at least he rode I guess.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Drone Incognito posted:

Hey CT buddy: :hfive:. PM me if you want to meet up for a ride before it gets too cold (if you get a bike :v:)

Ninja 650 is fine first bike. Just be smooth on the throttle, especially while leaned over.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 17, 2014

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
Hey! About to take the MSF this weekend. Been reading here and am rather excited. Read the thread, going to try [and probably fail] at keeping calm and just doing it, haven't really done any sort of powered-two wheels locomotion, and haven;t rode a bicycle in ages, but figure that shouldn't be much a issue. Would it be worth wearing the fullface I picked up over the weekend to MSF, or just stick with a loaner?

*EDIT*
Pending me not hating the class, I'm looking at getting a CB500f, anything and everything I've been able to find suggests this should be a fine starting bike, but anyone have any words of warning about it?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

DrakIris posted:

Hey! About to take the MSF this weekend. Been reading here and am rather excited. Read the thread, going to try [and probably fail] at keeping calm and just doing it, haven't really done any sort of powered-two wheels locomotion, and haven;t rode a bicycle in ages, but figure that shouldn't be much a issue. Would it be worth wearing the fullface I picked up over the weekend to MSF, or just stick with a loaner?

*EDIT*
Pending me not hating the class, I'm looking at getting a CB500f, anything and everything I've been able to find suggests this should be a fine starting bike, but anyone have any words of warning about it?

Why would you want to wear a loaner if you own a helmet? Borrowing helmets is kind of gross anyway.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Somebody in my msf class got a rash from a loaner helmet :gonk:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

M42 posted:

Somebody in my msf class got a rash from a loaner helmet :gonk:

M. Night Skymall posted:

Why would you want to wear a loaner if you own a helmet? Borrowing helmets is kind of gross anyway.

I will be the devil's advocate here and say that a full face helmet is not ideal for the MSF (harder to communicate with your instructor, unlikely to need the chinbar protection in a parking lot) and you're not wrong to consider the loaner. I would still probably prefer my own full face, but that's a personal preference.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I will be the devil's advocate here and say that a full face helmet is not ideal for the MSF (harder to communicate with your instructor, unlikely to need the chinbar protection in a parking lot) and you're not wrong to consider the loaner. I would still probably prefer my own full face, but that's a personal preference.

That was pretty much my exact concern; weight and not being able to hear poo poo. If someone actually managed to get a rash, though... That makes just sucking it up and using my own all the more appealing. Need to break it in anyway.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
Did my MSF BRC this weekend! 6 points for going out of the box and not going fast enough on the curve. I got nervous on the test. Had a good time. I need to work on looking with my head, shifting, and slow speed box drills. Also now I need a motorcycle!

3 people dropped the class along the way. One was too fat and couldn't get their legs up to the pedals, another was physically exhausted, and the third... couldn't make the last day of class. :psyduck:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Start scanning the used bike ads. I started to wonder how much money the MSF makes on drop outs when 3 of my friends signed up and 0 of my friends actually attended.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

... another was physically exhausted ...

wait WHAT

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I used their loaner half helmet for my MSF and it was fine. No rashes and it was more comfortable than wearing a full face the whole weekend for parking lot drills.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

nsaP posted:

I started to wonder how much money the MSF makes on drop outs when 3 of my friends signed up and 0 of my friends actually attended.

The place I went to didn't take any kind of deposit, so it seemed like no-shows were common. I had a class to myself because the other dude supposed to be in it didn't show up.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

hot sauce posted:

I used their loaner half helmet for my MSF and it was fine. No rashes and it was more comfortable than wearing a full face the whole weekend for parking lot drills.

The place I went made you bring a bandanna if you wanted to borrow a helmet so I'd do that just for the sake of caution.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Pompous Rhombus posted:

The place I went to didn't take any kind of deposit, so it seemed like no-shows were common.
That's crazy. You have to pay around $150 in advance here and people still don't show up. I'd always demand payment up front if I were them.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

That's crazy. You have to pay around $150 in advance here and people still don't show up. I'd always demand payment up front if I were them.

Yeah, it seemed like a terrible business model to me, but also so obvious that he must have tried it and had sign-ups completely dry up or something.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Weird. It's $200 for ours, and you pay up front. You don't show and don't call? No refund. Drop out? Get kicked out? Show up late? No refunds.

We had a guy on mine who bitched and moaned about everything, especially how early the class was (you can choose the morning or afternoon class when you make your appointment). Then on the last day he didn't show up until almost 2 hours after we'd already started. Basically he showed up just before we did the actual test part. Needless to say, he was asked to leave.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
poo poo mine was run through a community college, it was pay up front. You could no-show but you had to call us at least two days before class to get a full refund. You could also get a refund if you didn't make it to the fourth range exercise. If you didn't pass the class because of either the written or riding test portion you had two weeks to re-schedule, and then you only needed to pass the test you failed. (strangely enough any of the folks that didn't pass never came in for the "make-up test")

I generally held that if you were 10 - 15 minutes late we could cover that during a lunch. Two hours late? Yeah, thanks for your money and have a nice day.

I was instructing in western Wisconsin we had so pretty heavy folks come through, I don't think I've ever had one person come through we didn't have a bike to fit them. They may have wanted something sportier and ended up on a cruiser, but we got everyone on a bike.

Loaner helmets are never the best. Though we had a box of anti-bacterial hair nets.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

builds character posted:

The place I went made you bring a bandanna if you wanted to borrow a helmet so I'd do that just for the sake of caution.

Skreemer posted:

anti-bacterial hair nets.

This. Looking back, it was kind of nasty just to rawdog a loaner helmet like that.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Our guys said they "sanitized" the helmets between uses. I have to assume they meant "lots of Lysol" or something.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Lynza posted:

Our guys said they "sanitized" the helmets between uses. I have to assume they meant "lots of Lysol" or something.

Ours only had full face helmets. They would wash the liners in them every time, too. They smelled clean and fit well, so that helped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
I suppose I'll just use my own, need to break it in anyway :D So loving excited, I can hardly get to sleep at night. Looks like the class will only be half full or so.

• Locked thread