Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

api call girl posted:

It still tickles me in all the right spots that the boss there is a fire-breathing dragon wielding the holy grail facing the knights of the round table.

Oh for fucks sake! He is, isn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Oh for fucks sake! He is, isn't he?

Yep. Demandred got a little of his wish, he'll steal a little piece of "the Dragon's" legacy.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

After the first few times, I imagine they'd just have a heron, bull, river, etc. shaped logo flash across the screen for a second, maybe with a title scroll across the bottom. Rand uses Heron Wading in the Rushes! It's super effective!

The perfect combination
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z3reZWYdZ0&t=304s

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

api call girl posted:

It still tickles me in all the right spots that the boss there is a fire-breathing dragon wielding the holy grail facing the knights of the round table.

Oh gently caress off how did I not notice that.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Rereading

"I'm not Aiel, Lord Barthanes, and I'm not of the royal line, either."

Oh Rand :allears:

Also I'm stunned by how early Tallanvor is mentioned and that Jordan goes as far as to demonstrate him having a thing for Morgase in the first book.

Oh, that and that Moraine knows Aviendha's undo a weaving trick in the first book.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
I just started on this series. So far I'm really not impressed.

Our generic white male protagonist starts off as a humble peasant son. To the surprise of absolutely no one the demonic forces of the dark lord burn his village and kills his father (he gets better). Before he dies, his father bestows upon him a magic sword™ and vague references to a mysterious past and a great destiny.

He then joins the fellowship of the magic girl, in company of Strider Lan (not to be confused with Tam or Brann) the fellowship then sets out on their great adventure while being pursued by Nazgul Half-Men

So far it's been a pretty standard Fighter/Mage/Thief Dwarf/Orc/Elf RPG of a story. I'm half way through the first book and I hope things begin to pick up soon.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Zephyrine posted:

Our generic white male protagonist starts off as a humble peasant son. To the surprise of absolutely no one the demonic forces of the dark lord burn his village and kills his father (he gets better). Before he dies, his father bestows upon him a magic sword™ and vague references to a mysterious past and a great destiny.

He then joins the fellowship of the magic girl, in company of Strider Lan (not to be confused with Tam or Brann) the fellowship then sets out on their great adventure while being pursued by Nazgul Half-Men

So far it's been a pretty standard Fighter/Mage/Thief Dwarf/Orc/Elf RPG of a story. I'm half way through the first book and I hope things begin to pick up soon.

It might help somewhat to remember that he wrote the first volume in the 80's and it was a product of its time. Having a female Gandalf figure was relatively innovative then, for example.

That said the story does have some legitimately interesting elements even today. I think the most profitable reading is to look at the story as a reaction to Viet Nam, in the same way that the LotR was a reaction to WWI -- there are lots of elements of insanity, PTSD, the saviour protagonists' severe political unpopularity, etc.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Keep in mind the series started at the height of Piers Anthony and other generic 80s fantasy dominating the genera.
A lot of the stuff in the first book are gentle subversions of standard tropes, or the beginnings of such. You will be shocked at some of the characters and plot lines set up in book one that don't really come into play until a few books later.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Keep in mind the series started at the height of Piers Anthony and other generic 80s fantasy dominating the genera.
A lot of the stuff in the first book are gentle subversions of standard tropes, or the beginnings of such. You will be shocked at some of the characters and plot lines set up in book one that don't really come into play until a few books later.

I'll give it 4-5 books to draw my interest but this generic goody-two-shoes protagonist is wearing me down.

Also since I started reading this book. I've drank more tea in a week than I have in the last 6 months.

It's always making me think of tea.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Zephyrine posted:

I'll give it 4-5 books to draw my interest but this generic goody-two-shoes protagonist is wearing me down.

Also since I started reading this book. I've drank more tea in a week than I have in the last 6 months.

If you don't like it by the end of the third book you won't like it at all. It probably peaks around book IV-V, starts to decline with book 6, has a deeeeep valley of bad around book 10, then picks up again and the concluding volumes are good again.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
The first book for sure basically rips off the entire plot of Lord of the Rings, start to finish. Then he runs out of plot points to steal and starts coming up with his own stuff. Not that he totally breaks loose from generic fantasy tropes of course but yes things do get a lot more original.

I should point out, the series also has this whole theme about how legends change in the retelling. So one way to interpret the first book is as "the real story of Lord of the Rings." Jordan keeps this ambiguous, probably in case it is just too silly for some people (as opposed to say, Arthurian myth, where his references are much clearer) but I'm sure it crossed his mind more than once.

Fake edit: Rand does not continue to be a "goody two-shoes" forever, let me just tell you that. Actually most or all of the main characters get a lot of development, but of course the pace is fairly glacial so you will have to suffer for a while. There will always be some characters you want to stab though; Jordan is very good at writing obnoxious people.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 17, 2014

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If you don't like it by the end of the third book you won't like it at all. It probably peaks around book IV-V, starts to decline with book 6, has a deeeeep valley of bad around book 10, then picks up again and the concluding volumes are good again.

Book 6 was my favorite in the series for a long time, but book 7 has a very sharp decline in quality. 7-8-9-10 are all slogs, but 11-12-13-14 are amazing, so you kinda just have to grit your teeth and accept that the payoff for the slog is worth it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
4 is still my favorite, just sayin'.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

Zephyrine posted:

You'll be fine. Just take it with a grain of salt and remember that the first book needed to be a little generic and dated by our standards because when it was written fantasy wasn't really a genre synonymous with quality.
Each of the goody two-shoe farm boys will grow up fast in very different ways, as will (most) of the girls. Lan will get cooler and divert pretty hard from what you think of him now, and you'll gain a lot of respect for Moraine as more then just "Girl Gandalf."

Your current issues with the novel will go away pretty quickly.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

Kaninrail posted:

Book 6 was my favorite in the series for a long time, but book 7 has a very sharp decline in quality. 7-8-9-10 are all slogs, but 11-12-13-14 are amazing, so you kinda just have to grit your teeth and accept that the payoff for the slog is worth it.

Book 7 is actually quite good, and 8 isn't that bad, but it is kind of slow and suffers from one of the worst plotlines in the series. 9 at least has a really cool ending. Book 10 is the only completely bad one. A lot of it is concurrent with the end of 9 and doesn't move the plot *at all*.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Daedalus Esquire posted:

You'll be fine. Just take it with a grain of salt and remember that the first book needed to be a little generic and dated by our standards because when it was written fantasy wasn't really a genre synonymous with quality.
Each of the goody two-shoe farm boys will grow up fast in very different ways, as will (most) of the girls.

Except Elayne. You might as well be warned up front that when it's all said and done Elayne will be exactly the same petulant and indefatigably impulsive womanchild she is now. I mean even Faile finally grows up a little in the last two books. Elayne, never, ever.

Fakeedit: Incidentally there's one notable male character that is also petulant, indefatigably impulsive and never grows up right to the bitter end. Fancy that.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Your enjoyment of the series (especially the later books) will also benefit tremendously from not having to wait 2 years between books. They read alot better when you can smash them out all at once.

Zephyrine posted:

This is one of the major themes of the series.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Oct 18, 2014

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I started them just after book 7 was released and waiting an age for the crushing disappointment of books 8,9 and 10 finished me off. Having them all available to read in a row is great as you can keep track of the legion of individuals and the numerous plot threads. People who have trouble with A song of ice and fire don't know the half of it.

Due to its great length one thing tWoT does exceptionally well is interesting character development, and don't worry about Rand, he becomes a worthy protagonist, as does Mat.

I am still waiting for enough time to start reading from the start. I can see where my bookmark is in knife of dreams, measuring it I have 23 inches of reading to get up to where I left off.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

Your enjoyment of the series (especially the later books) will also benefit tremendously from not having to wait 2 years between books. They read alot better when you can smash them out all at once.
Or alternatively it will make it more painful as the repetition becomes more apparent...

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
As the books went on, I found myself doing the exact same thing my friends do with Game of Thrones: Skip the parts that showcase the people and events I don't care about, and only read the chapters that have the people I do care about in them. It works wonders, actually.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Gologle posted:

As the books went on, I found myself doing the exact same thing my friends do with Game of Thrones: Skip the parts that showcase the people and events I don't care about, and only read the chapters that have the people I do care about in them. It works wonders, actually.

That sounds like an awful way to read a book.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Gologle posted:

He is Da'tsang.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Zephyrine posted:

It works pretty well in brainless fantasy, I've tried it too with some series. Sometimes you need to google summaries though..

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Zephyrine posted:

It is, unless you glance at summaries now and then. However, it is a wonderful way to re-read a book.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

nucleicmaxid posted:

It is, unless you glance at summaries now and then. However, it is a wonderful way to re-read a book.

Also not true, because you pick up a lot more on a re-read if you actually re-read it. Instead of you know, going straight to the bang and the boom.

In other words

The Lord Bude posted:

He is Da'tsang.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I guess we just disagree. If I hate a chapter or a character and I skip it, I count it as a positive experience. I read for pleasure, not to analyze some literary device about a character I can't stand reading about.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You're both right in your own ways. You should never skip dialogue, but some things can safely be skipped, such as pages-long descriptions of women's clothing, or pages-long internal diatribes wherein Nynaeve elaborately blames every single problem in the world on everyone other than herself, to pick an example. In Wheel of Time these two things alone probably account for 600 pages' worth of safely skippable material, which does add up to a fair bit of your life that you won't get back.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

You're both right in your own ways. You should never skip dialogue, but some things can safely be skipped, such as pages-long descriptions of women's clothing, or pages-long internal diatribes wherein Nynaeve elaborately blames every single problem in the world on everyone other than herself, to pick an example. In Wheel of Time these two things alone probably account for 600 pages' worth of safely skippable material, which does add up to a fair bit of your life that you won't get back.

These can be really, really annoying in the audiobooks. The break from a conversation into fifteen paragraphs of internal monologue can last several minutes, causing me to kinda forget what the characters were even talking about when they finally say their next line.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Smoke tabac erryday

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Oh god, listening to anything from Wheel of Time as an audiobook would be torture.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Oh, come in now, Faile being captured by the Shaido Aeil took up waaaay more time than Nynaeve being unable to accept she causes her own problems.

One of my favourite things is how Tuon dismisses everything people around her say as barbarian superstition yet pays huge attention to her own omens and portents, and all her omens and portents were just the worst ones possible, all the time. She kind of reminds me of Daenerys's Dothraki handmaidens in ASoIaF, repeating incredibly retarded common wisdom as though it were fact. "It is known."

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Eric the Mauve posted:

Oh god, listening to anything from Wheel of Time as an audiobook would be torture.

I went through all 14 books via audible, and yeah, I loving hate Elaine chapters now. I also have no clue how to spell anyone's names

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

I actually kinda like it. I originally listened to EoTW on cd to occupy myself during a long solo roadtrip a few years back. I missed out on the awesome maps but I knew how to pronounce the character names at least when I then got into the books. And this year I've started going though then with audible at work, I just finished TSR this morning actually.

But yeah, there are certainly some annoying bits. The readers pronouncing some things differently, 15 minute long internal monologues in the middle of conversations, etc.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 21, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Those are integral parts of the wheel of time, and I enjoy them all greatly. I don't listen to audio books but I have read the series in it's entirety (aside from the Sanderson books that hadn't been written yet during most of them) at least 15 times in the past 12 years.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 21, 2014

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Zephyrine posted:

Haha, this is so similar to my post in this thread after reading the first book. After the first book, it stops copying LotR beat by beat and grows into its own. To me, it became more enjoyable, but definitely had its own problems. I can't imagine how some of you felt after waiting years for one of these books to be released, then having to read about Elayne and co dicking around some city or a circus for hundreds of pages.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Professor Wayne posted:

Haha, this is so similar to my post in this thread after reading the first book. After the first book, it stops copying LotR beat by beat and grows into its own. To me, it became more enjoyable, but definitely had its own problems. I can't imagine how some of you felt after waiting years for one of these books to be released, then having to read about Elayne and co dicking around some city or a circus for hundreds of pages.

I wouldn't blame him for ripping on LOTR so much if I had liked LOTR in the first place. I forced my way through LOTR last year just so that I could say that I had read them but by god did I not like those books.

In LOTR a significant scene can be passed in half a page. Meanwhile indept descriptions of the characters eating can take up dozens of pages. What kind of food it it. How it was prepared. Where it came from and how it stands up compared to all the previous food eaten so far.

Not to mention page after page of song lyrics.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Professor Wayne posted:

I can't imagine how some of you felt after waiting years for one of these books to be released, then having to read about Elayne and co dicking around some city or a circus for hundreds of pages.

Zephyrine posted:

Meanwhile indept descriptions of the characters eating can take up dozens of pages. What kind of food it it. How it was prepared. Where it came from and how it stands up compared to all the previous food eaten so far.

I'm confused. You guys act as if these are all bad things. The pacing of WoT is one of the best things about it, the in depth descriptions and stuff is what makes it such an immersive world.

Maybe I'm just weird for enjoying scenes of characters going to seamstresses and picking out nice dresses?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Zephyrine posted:

I wouldn't blame him for ripping on LOTR so much if I had liked LOTR in the first place. I forced my way through LOTR last year just so that I could say that I had read them but by god did I not like those books.

In LOTR a significant scene can be passed in half a page. Meanwhile indept descriptions of the characters eating can take up dozens of pages. What kind of food it it. How it was prepared. Where it came from and how it stands up compared to all the previous food eaten so far.

In fairness Tolkien was actually good at writing song lyrics. One of the really wince-inducing things about a lot of fantasy novels is excruciatingly bad poetry/lyrics being woven in (I love you, Brandon Sanderson, but you can't write poetry or lyrics. Please stop. Or at least find someone at BYU that can help you.)

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm confused. You guys act as if these are all bad things. The pacing of WoT is one of the best things about it, the in depth descriptions and stuff is what makes it such an immersive world.

Maybe I'm just weird for enjoying scenes of characters going to seamstresses and picking out nice dresses?

I don't approve of skipping chapters about characters you don't care about. It bothers me when people skim entire books in an afternoon. And I firmly believe that everyone should take the time to read things like Tolkien's songs. But by the fifth book. my eyes would glaze over every time I saw a paragraph describing what women on the street wore or what the air smelled like during lunch or when Rand met a group of nobles with lengthy descriptions. That last one was one of the worst for me. I spent so much time learning nobles' names during Rand's conquering days and looked for them to scheme in the background. I'd say about 90% of them never showed up again in any form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I've finished reading the first book of War and Peace and I have to admit it felt like Jordan's style seems a lot like Tolstoy's.

• Locked thread