Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vulgarian
Oct 2, 2011

wheez the roux posted:

hawks embracing the post-superbowl heel turn

Oh man, we're totally pulling a Tampa Bay post Superbowl win aren't we?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Harvin will be wearing #16 if anyone cares.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Utopian Mind posted:

Oh man, we're totally pulling a Tampa Bay post Superbowl win aren't we?

A slow, inexorable slide into inescapable mediocrity?

Who is the Pac 12 version of Schiano? Besides Jim Mora Jr, of course.

Maybe Rich Rod?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
One thing to point out was that Doug Baldwin had 7 catches for 123 yards and a TD yesterday. Note, his highest yards this season before that was 56 yards.

I think the offense will be fine. They eventually found their rhythm in the 2nd half, but the biggest issue isn't their WR corps, it's their o-line not protecting Wilson and being a magnet for flags.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The more I think about this the more I wonder how the hell Seattle only got a 6th for Percy Harvin. I can think of a dozen FO's that should have jumped at a chance for a player like that. It doesn't make sense.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Ozu posted:

Harvin will be wearing #16 if anyone cares.
I care.

Percy has, in front of him, the largest task in the NFL. Well, largest task other than getting the Jets to win, but let's not get crazy. Can he make the NEW JERSEY FOOTBALL JETS watchable?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Barnwell's take...
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-percy-harvin-saga-how-seattle-lost-and-the-jets-won/

NC-17 posted:

The more I think about this the more I wonder how the hell Seattle only got a 6th for Percy Harvin. I can think of a dozen FO's that should have jumped at a chance for a player like that. It doesn't make sense.
Schneider is good friends with Idzik. There's a very good chance he'll be on the roster next year, meaning it's a 4th. Seattle also isn't going to face the Jets until 2016.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

NC-17 posted:

I would take him in Tampa. And we don't even need him...I think? I don't loving know what Tampa needs but I would trade every QB we have for Percy Harvin because we can't be any worse in that situation.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

NC-17 posted:

I agree, but it seems football teams are so risk-averse these days that unless an idea is their idea with a champion in their organization they tend to default to "no".

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ozu posted:

Barnwell's take...
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-percy-harvin-saga-how-seattle-lost-and-the-jets-won/
Schneider is good friends with Idzik. There's a very good chance he'll be on the roster next year, meaning it's a 4th. Seattle also isn't going to face the Jets until 2016.

How can he possibly say the Jets won the trade before Harvin plays a snap?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

mcmagic posted:

How can he possibly say the Jets won the trade before Harvin plays a snap?
They win because they're paying dirt prices and no future guarantee for an asset valued far beyond cost. Listen I know you really want to poo poo on this one because IDZIK, but the only downside is going into the offseason $55m under the cap instead of $62m. At the very least they'll get a clearer picture of what Geno is before they have to make a decision.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Also, Jets don't really care about 4th round picks. They already cut their 4th round pick from this year.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ozu posted:

They win because they're paying dirt prices and no future guarantee for an asset valued far beyond cost. Listen I know you really want to poo poo on this one because IDZIK, but the only downside is going into the offseason $55m under the cap instead of $62m. At the very least they'll get a clearer picture of what Geno is before they have to make a decision.

No I don't want to poo poo on it. It's a no brainer move. They actually have 2 NFL WR's now. The context of the whole thing, the timing is just odd paired with the way they bungled the offseason is annoying. I also don't have any kind of faith in their ability to judge Smith's progress.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 20, 2014

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

quote:

@AlbertBreer
Percy Harvin on Rex: "I love him. Love him, love him." Said they met predraft. :unsmith:

Harvin asked if his deployment in Seattle was a source of frustration: "It definitely was. ... I wanted to get downfield a little bit more."
Jives with the Barnwell article...

quote:

Virtually every one of Harvin’s touches in the passing game came within five yards of the line of scrimmage. I only counted four passes past the sticks to Harvin in five weeks: a deep crossing route that went for 33 yards, an interception on a deep out (on what looked like a coverage misread from Russell Wilson), and a pair of passes negated by penalties, including a 41-yard touchdown pass up the seam, one of three Harvin touchdowns wiped off the board in Washington. Harvin was otherwise never thrown a go route or even a deep curl against teams scared of his speed. Crucially, there was never a play where Wilson improvised, got out of the pocket, and found Harvin for any sort of downfield pass.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
The trade was good for both teams, as he would have been cut if not traded.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Because that is what the Seattle FO decided was necessary, what we are saying is that it was an idiotic determination to see getting rid of Harvin as necessary instead of fixing their offensive scheme.

People said the same thing about the Boldin trade to SF. That argument is the last refuge of those defending an indefensible trade.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
Like the Bears getting rid of Greg Olsen. Man was that dumb.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
When the GM even admits it was a bad idea, you know it's the truth.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Come on. Look at that goddamn tracksuit.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Because that is what the Seattle FO decided was necessary, what we are saying is that it was an idiotic determination to see getting rid of Harvin as necessary instead of fixing their offensive scheme.

People said the same thing about the Boldin trade to SF. That argument is the last refuge of those defending an indefensible trade.

The offense is better without him and he is incredibly injury prone

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The trade was bad and Seattle was misusing Harvin.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Ozu posted:

Come on. Look at that goddamn tracksuit.

I'm more worried about that awful couch.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Chichevache posted:

The trade was bad and Seattle was misusing Harvin.

This is 100% the correct answer. I can't see any reason to justify the trade.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Manoueverable posted:

This is 100% the correct answer. I can't see any reason to justify the trade.

To afford extending Wilson is my #1 guess and has been from the start

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.

Barnwell pretty much confirms what I was thinking all along: Darrell Bevell is a dicknose.

I mean yeah the opportunity cost with Harvin and not getting that back was bad on Schneider's part, but if Seattle had a remotely competent offensive coordinator who realized that if the first 50 bubble screens don't work that maybe something should change, Harvin would probably still be with Seattle right now.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

I'll judge the trade at the end of the season but I'm not predicting Harvin lighting it up for the jets or even staying healthy. Bevell is a turd though and I don't buy into the Schneider is a genius narrative either.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
You're nothing if not persistent my Seahawk friend

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Intruder posted:

With the salary cap increases coming they were probably gonna pay Wilson regardless. This means we can afford a linebacking corps.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Doug Baldwin is part of the conspiracy http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11729755/doug-baldwin-says-percy-harvin-trade-was-factor-seattle-seahawks-loss-st-louis-rams

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

GNU Order posted:

There's actually an impressive number of Hawks posters who didn't just show up because of the Super Bowl
Legal weed makes watching a sporting event much less emotional and more enjoyable.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Intruder posted:

They knew they had to extend Wilson when they gave Harvin an extension. They were counting on him to be a cornerstone of the offense.

Oops.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

commy gun posted:

They knew they had to extend Wilson when they gave Harvin an extension. They were counting on him to be a cornerstone of the offense.

Oops.

Really feels like there's a lot of poo poo that went into this decision. They could've paid Wilson with Harvin on the roster, but money is always a concern.

Harvin was being misused by the teams OC. He was asked to become a horizontal playmaker full time, which didn't seem to sit well with him. It's being said that he wouldn't return to two other games this season. Taking himself out of games almost certainly pissed off the coaching staff, even if his frustration was justified.

We know for sure that he was in at least one fight with Golden Tate and Doug Baldwin and Russell Wilson have been very reserved when talking about him. Michael Robinson confirmed the Tate incident during Super Bowl week. He also said that fights are much more common than people would think. This probably just increased the team's desire to move on from him, especially if he was fighting with Wilson.

So I guess it looks like this to me:

> Overpaid for his lack of production which could be attributed to a piss poor play caller
> Salty about being misused, takes himself out of games
> Takin himself out of games puts him at odds with teammates, especially in close losses
> Friction leads to fights with teammates and general discord within the offense

Just a storm of unfortunate poo poo that probably could've been solved if the team ever tried to get him involved in games outside of sweeps and bubble screens. He's had a long time reputation as a player that wants to get lots of targets, being given the ball in situations that are almost certainly doomed to failure was probably maddening. Seems like plenty of blame to go around. It's certainly not all on Percy.

Schwack fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 20, 2014

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I mean, yeah, now that the dust has settled a bit, I think there are a few obvious conclusions to draw:

1. Seattle really hosed up in the initial trade for Harvin
2. The Jets are essentially gambling a sixth rounder for the (high percentage) opportunity to add a real contributor to one of their greatest areas of need
3. Seattle realized they cannot use Harvin well and at least gave themselves the cap flexibility to re-sign guys they actually like

But really, what is the worst case scenario for the Jets here? That Harvin shows a little something, gets hurt right away again, then re-sign him and give up a fourth, only to discover that Harvin will actually never be a meaningful player for the rest of his career? That's incredibly unlikely, and the Jets still only lose a 4th rounder.

Or, I guess, Harvin poisons the locker room and it exacerbates the existing character concerns so much that the entire team gets kicked off their plane and they have to Skype into MetLife to say "gently caress you" to all their fans remotely, while sitting in a movie theater with watches in PST.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I think it's kind of dubious that Percy Harvin was as much of a cancer as Seattle's FO is leading people to believe

You could also attribute a lot of that friction to Harvin's role on the team but idk

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Oh please, next you're going to tell me that DeSean Jackson isn't a crip

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Burger Trench posted:

Oh please, next you're going to tell me that DeSean Jackson isn't a crip

No I'm pretty sure he's healthy again

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Febreeze posted:

No I'm pretty sure he's healthy again

:golfclap:

Potzblitz!
Jan 20, 2005

Kung-Fu fighter
Apparently, Harvin was such a locker room cancer that the Seahawks now have PTSD. Doug Baldwin was in shock. Marshawn Lynch wouldn't get on the bus. Too many memories. I guess that's why they hosed up those punts. Strobe lights and body slams flashing before their eyes.

The horror. The horror.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Apparently a lot of Harvin's angst was that he wasn't being used in downfield plays. Instead he kept getting the sweep / bubble screen treatment to the point where he said "screw it I'm out" and pulled himself out of plays.

So there was a distrust created between Harvin and Wilson that came about because Bevell couldn't use Harvin correctly. For one, I can understand Harvin's frustration, but being an rear end and pulling yourself out of plays (especially when plays are designed with your presence in mind) is a pretty terrible thing to do. It's for the best that he's gone, but if we had utilized him properly to begin, we wouldn't be in this situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Pron on VHS posted:

I love Parm's shift into a funny poster now that he is restricted on what he posts about

dawwww

• Locked thread