Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

CoasterMaster posted:

I didn't even know I synced my photos with iTunes :ohdear:

I have ~3.2k photos on my phone, so I have no idea which 600 are going away.

Check iTunes to see which folder it is syncing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

spongeworthy posted:

What I do is just type in each letter of the alphabet and remove those old lingering entries individually by tapping the 'i' and deleting the entry. It takes a while the first time you do it.
Aww come on, there's gotta be an easier way to do that, right? :( It's for almost every letter of the alphabet! It's giving me phone numbers and e-mail addresses (both Facebook and otherwise, like Gmail and Yahoo) for people I haven't contacted in a couple years and old group chats that I haven't been a part of in a couple years.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Aww come on, there's gotta be an easier way to do that, right? :( It's for almost every letter of the alphabet! It's giving me phone numbers and e-mail addresses (both Facebook and otherwise, like Gmail and Yahoo) for people I haven't contacted in a couple years and old group chats that I haven't been a part of in a couple years.

I never synced Facebook but the first time I did it there were a few hundred entries to remove.. couple years worth like you said. I'm not aware of any other way to do it.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
My contact list is clean but one thing I remember from ages ago (iOS5?) is that if you synced it with another source (like Gmail or Facebook) that you'd have an entirely different "list" of contacts that wasn't immediately viewable unless you went back a tier from the generic contact list. Maybe try that?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Also trip report, I'm guessing that A LOT of businesses actually support ApplePay that aren't listed on the press release. Basically I just went to a podunk grocery store in Iowa and it worked flawlessly. As long as they have the proper terminals set up for NFC (looks like the wifi logo) payments then it should work no problem. I didn't know if there was anything on the backend that the business had to do to support it but it looks like as long as they have the hardware for it then it'll work.

Definitely a weird feeling paying like that.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Argh, I can't get Text Message Forwarding to activate. The code never shows up on my Mac. I've been through all kinds of various permutations of enabling and disabling iMessage. I can see the code come in and fail in the log:

code:
10/20/14 2:41:08.452 PM imagent[256]: [Warning] ********** We received an imcomming pin code alert from a non SMS Device
:sigh:

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Feenix posted:

2: I see in passbook a listing of recent transactions. Will this be more detailed at some point? Like it says time, date, city, state and over on the far right a double dash where I assume "amount" will go? Maybe it needs time to authenticate?

Think it depends on your card.

For my Amex it gives a detailed history of transactions with date, merchant and amount.

For my Chase backup visa it says No Transactions Available.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Feenix posted:

2: I see in passbook a listing of recent transactions. Will this be more detailed at some point? Like it says time, date, city, state and over on the far right a double dash where I assume "amount" will go? Maybe it needs time to authenticate?
Mine took about 5 minutes to update from transaction to actual information.

EDIT: Chase VISA here.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
I found a thread on the Apple support forums that fixed my SMS forwarding, make sure you have your email address and your phone number checked off for iMessage on your phone.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir
loving 8.1 activated iTunes Match and deleted 30 gig of synced music off my phone. gently caress you Apple.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

UndyingShadow posted:

loving 8.1 activated iTunes Match and deleted 30 gig of synced music off my phone. gently caress you Apple.

They did you a favor.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So my Capital One debit MasterCard added to Apple Pay just fine, but it told me I should download the Capital One Wallet app, so I did despite already having the Capital One app. The Wallet app has a much sleeker looking interface with an available balance and transaction history readout, and a "tap to pay" button that pulls up a Passbook screen saying "Capital One Bank Debit is ready for Apple Pay." But uhh, I don't need to do that every time I want to use Apple Pay, do I? I thought the way Apple Pay worked was you would just wave your iPhone over an NFC reader and it would automatically detect it and ask you to confirm your purchase with the card you have associated with Apple Pay. I don't know, though, because I have yet to use Apple Pay for myself.

It doesn't look like the Wallet app has any other functionality than that, though. Like, there's no mobile depositing. But the Capital One app I already had doesn't have this sleek interface and it doesn't seem to mention anything about Apple Pay, but it does do mobile depositing. So I guess I'll just keep both of these around unless I find out that I don't need the Wallet app?

This is confusing. Just make one app that does everything, you assholes :argh:

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

I thought the way Apple Pay worked was you would just wave your iPhone over an NFC reader and it would automatically detect it and ask you to confirm your purchase with the card you have associated with Apple Pay. I don't know, though, because I have yet to use Apple Pay for myself.
This is correct. You don't need to download any wallet or companion app or anything like that. The banks of your linked card want you to use their apps for some reason and that's why it suggests them to you, but none of that stuff is needed.

Make your purchase, take your phone out and hold it near the card reader, your screen will light up with the image of your default card and you confirm the payment with that card, and then you use the actual reader device to finish the transaction if there are any extra steps involved.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

They did you a favor.

Why exactly?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
For my capital one card I had to download their app or call a phone number to add the card, so I just downloaded the app to add the card, then deleted it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Recent transaction in passbook was able to show me a transaction I made on my Amex without Apple Pay (from earlier today before I added the card). That's pretty cool.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zero One posted:

Recent transaction in passbook was able to show me a transaction I made on my Amex without Apple Pay (from earlier today before I added the card). That's pretty cool.

My Amex does the same thing. I hit the info icon and it shows a whole bunch of recent transaction.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
My chase card activated for apple pay just fine, and it gave 3 different options to verify.

However, I also tried to add my AmEx, and it gives only one option to verify: call AmEx. I called them and they pretty much were clueless and they transferred me to customer service. I was on hold too long, so I hung up but has anyone else gone through it? How does this work?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Zero One posted:

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

My Amex does the same thing. I hit the info icon and it shows a whole bunch of recent transaction.
:stare: That owns. When does it start displaying that? After you use Apple Pay for the first time? Clicking the info button in Passbook just shows me my card number and account number and gives me an option to contact Capital One / open the app.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

:stare: That owns. When does it start displaying that? After you use Apple Pay for the first time? Clicking the info button in Passbook just shows me my card number and account number and gives me an option to contact Capital One / open the app.
It might be card provider specific. If I click the card info I get a list for TRANSACTIONS but under the actual transactions part it says "Transactions shown are purchases made with this iPhone. For a full account history and final transaction amounts check your Chase statement."

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Whirlwind Jones posted:

It might be card provider specific. If I click the card info I get a list for TRANSACTIONS but under the actual transactions part it says "Transactions shown are purchases made with this iPhone. For a full account history and final transaction amounts check your Chase statement."

Yeah, same here, except Citibank.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

For my Amex it just appeared right after I added the card. Haven't used Apple Pay at all yet.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Bummer yeah I have 2 Chase debit cards and I get no transaction specifics.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bleh Maestro posted:

My chase card activated for apple pay just fine, and it gave 3 different options to verify.

However, I also tried to add my AmEx, and it gives only one option to verify: call AmEx. I called them and they pretty much were clueless and they transferred me to customer service. I was on hold too long, so I hung up but has anyone else gone through it? How does this work?

I had to call. I was the girl's first apple pay verification, and it took a while. Got put on hold a couple of times, had to answer a bunch verification questions. She knew exactly what I was calling about when I called but didn't seem too clear on what she had to do. And their system seemed to be slow doing whatever it was supposed to do. Still, probably only a 7 minute call or so.

edit: Yeah it shows all my amex transaction but my capital one card has what the poster above said about only showing apple pay transactions.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I didn't have to do anything to activate my cards. They were just added. :iiam:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zero One posted:

I didn't have to do anything to activate my cards. They were just added. :iiam:

That's how my capital one went. didn't have to do anything to verify.

i see apple has a list of places you can use apple pay. But I know I've been to some not on the list that have nfc. Will apple pay work there? Seems like it should.

Kill Dozed
Feb 13, 2008
My wife and I ordered Iphones a few days apart. We are on different accounts. She got hers first, but doesn't really care about it, so she said I could use it. Is this possible? Or are the phones somehow attached to the accounts that ordered them? We are both on AT&T if that matters.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I lost all photos/videos in messages threads after updating to 8.1. Great job.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That's how my capital one went. didn't have to do anything to verify.

i see apple has a list of places you can use apple pay. But I know I've been to some not on the list that have nfc. Will apple pay work there? Seems like it should.

It seems like the vendors listed on Apple's site are those that are specifically guaranteed to work with Apple Pay, and whose staff have had training on how to handle it. Other vendors with NFC capabilities may in fact work; they're just not certified with Apple.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Kill Dozed posted:

My wife and I ordered Iphones a few days apart. We are on different accounts. She got hers first, but doesn't really care about it, so she said I could use it. Is this possible? Or are the phones somehow attached to the accounts that ordered them? We are both on AT&T if that matters.

It's tied to whatever card you choose to add to passbook and the fingerprint on that phone.

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

It seems like the vendors listed on Apple's site are those that are specifically guaranteed to work with Apple Pay, and whose staff have had training on how to handle it. Other vendors with NFC capabilities may in fact work; they're just not certified with Apple.

We'll have to do some Goon-investigation :science:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Fuckin' Amazon Visa. Every other Chase card works, why'd you have to be a dick?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Cause they're Amazon.

Citizen's Bank isn't on board yet, which is highly surprising. It makes Apple Pay much less useful for me since I use my debit cards (personal and business) about 90% of the time.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I assume the Instant Hotspot stuff is still subject to carrier approval, right?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I just accidentally walked through a TV commercial shoot for MLB+MasterCard set to air tomorrow during the World Series tomorrow.

They were using an iPhone 6 to ApplePay at a Kauffman Stadium concession stand.

You think they just got lucky with iOS 8 dropping the day before the WS? ...You think the production crew scheduled their shoot based on when they could get the prop phone updated?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Just tried to airdrop between my Mid 2011 MBA and my iphone/ipad and realized that bluetooth 4.0 isn't enough: the MBA has to be a 2012 or newer. :(

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.
My local community bank will probably join up with Apple Pay in a decade or so, was really hoping my Chase Amazon Visa would work, wondering if the hold up there is the Amazon part.

Amazon Fire Pay coming soon.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Bird Law posted:

My local community bank will probably join up with Apple Pay in a decade or so

There are a couple big companies that basically do backend data processing for all kinds of small community banks. I wouldn't be surprised if these companies push Apple Pay as a service right in the pipeline they already have.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Bird Law posted:

My local community bank will probably join up with Apple Pay in a decade or so, was really hoping my Chase Amazon Visa would work, wondering if the hold up there is the Amazon part.

It is.

fr3lm0
May 25, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

Just tried to airdrop between my Mid 2011 MBA and my iphone/ipad and realized that bluetooth 4.0 isn't enough: the MBA has to be a 2012 or newer. :(

You can get it working on some older models. These instructions worked on my mid 2011 mac mini.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Lucky you, my transaction history doesn't work.