Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Cage posted:

Batman: The Animated Series best batman.

Like that's even a question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

cursedshitbox posted:

Werent you sort of big prior to getting into cycling and Triathlons?

Yes. Prior to my father's heart attack when he was 55, I was on my way.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cage posted:

Batman: The Animated Series best batman.
That's fact, not opinion.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Nodoze posted:

What is YOUR opinion on Batman?

Christian Bale. :swoon:

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
gently caress that. Russian Martian Batman.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

goatse guy posted:

Christian Bale. :swoon:

ssjonizuka posted:

gently caress that.
I get the impression that's not a problem

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I don't meet craigslist people at my house, ever. I tell them that I am in a certain town and that my street is two turns off of the nearest marked road, that it's dirt and probably impassable unless they have 4 wheel drive, and that I'm tired of trying to direct people through it all over the phone WHEN they get lost so let's just meet in the grocery store parking lot a mile from my house, it's easier that way.

Which is all strictly true except it's 3 blocks from my house and I also don't want them knowing where I live. Internet tough guys I am not afraid of, stupid broke rear end crackheads and tweakers who buy rusty car parts off craigslist I most certainly am, I've got way too much cool poo poo made out of metal sitting around to see it all end up in a scrapyard due to some tweaker getting sticky fingers late one night.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

When I bought my KTM 690sm off CL, the dude took me through the front door, out the back into his yard where we filled out paperwork next to his potted marijuana plant. After that he showed me his other bikes/his guitar collection.

He could tell I was weirded out and shrugged happily. "See, I got nothing to hide on the bike man. I'm honest". I got more of the "Go ahead, come try to steal something and I'll show you my gun collection vibe. Cool-rear end dude though.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Found this in the manual for the zx2

That last one :psyduck:. Why would you want your squishy rear end to be thrown at 60mph from a vehicle, you can't possibly think that is safe.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Made a critical traffic error this afternoon, almost caused an accident. Am thankful the lady in the Hyundai driving in my blindspot was paying attention. Cause I sure didn't see her, even after shoulder checking and with blindspot warning lights.

(note that I said I didn't see her, not that she wasn't there or wasn't visible :haw:)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Because a squishy rear end ensures a safe landing?

Great time to cue the footage of the saudi guys flipping the poo poo out of a car and dude getting ejected with his arm going a different direction.

E: VVVV VW spring a leak eh? :D (yes, gently caress cork gaskets)

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 20, 2014

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Guys.

Guys...

GUYS!

gently caress cork gaskets.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 226 days!)

Today was a good day, even if I had to get in a monkey suit. Friday is gonna suck, though.

Also, this is the company that makes that bogus asian sauce. They're in New Jersey. :zombie:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

Guys.

Guys...

GUYS!

I will do everything I can to never have to touch a cork gasket again.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Getting ready to go see State Champs tonight, this week is going to be the best week for concerts in a while.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

I will do everything I can to never have to touch a cork gasket again.

I was doing my first valve adjustments on the Beetle (every 3 to 6k miles, I hit 4k and decided it was time). On the passenger side, the gasket had been leaking onto the heater box, causing a huge oily mess, and was glued down with copper RTV. On the driver's side, the gasket was baked dry, and came off in very tiny cork chunks, only with the assistance of a gasket scraper (read: really big flathead screwdriver). I also discovered that while the passenger side head is OG, the driver's side head is a Brazilian remake, and the valves were tighter than my budget. :sigh:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Geirskogul posted:

Guys.

Guys...

GUYS!

We try and tell the mech department that but it's like they have a fetish

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Geirskogul posted:

So much.

I will go ape poo poo with RTV before I use another cork gasket.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

The only thing worse than a cork gasket is a cork make-a-gasket kit...the kind where they give you a roll of lovely cork and basically say, "here rear end in a top hat, make it yourself."

E: Also, Adam West is the only acceptable Batman. Everyone else tried/tries too hard.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 21, 2014

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Wondered how powerful a lovely airsoft gun was so I shot it at my fridge.

It was powerful enough to rip through the notes left on the fridge and dent the door.

Living alone is awesome.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Goddamn the DMV is a comedy of errors.

Monday:
1) Try to get title transferred fer Ferd. Get stymied by a new worker there who said I needed to show POA since the initial name did not sign it and someone did as POA.
Tuesday:
2) Get POA, bring it in. Find the SECOND holder of the Title (OR thank god, not AND) signed it (still same as first), so I didn't need it. Get plates. Beg them to place POA in with title just in case.

NEXT loving WEEK:
3) Get a call from DMV that the POA was out of date and I need to sign some paperwork of acknowledgement that it is out of date, basically to CYA since they gave me the plate. Remind them that secondary (OR) owner already signed it. They check. Should get a title in a few weeks.

:shepicide:

CommieGIR posted:

I will go ape poo poo with RTV before I use another cork gasket.

I am so, so thankful I've only had to deal with these passively.

freelop posted:

Wondered how powerful a lovely airsoft gun was so I shot it at my fridge.

Neighbor and I were shitfaced over at his place around '01. He decided to do the same, except with his sliding glass door. It didn't work out quite as well as yours did.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

freelop posted:

It was powerful enough to rip through the notes left on the fridge and dent the door.

So that's why my fridge has a BB-sized high speed impact dent in it from the PO.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Yea gently caress cork gaskets. In the Datsuns, all cork is replaced with "The Right Stuff."
RTV is just as bad, especially the orange junk.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

mafoose posted:

Yea gently caress cork gaskets. In the Datsuns, all cork is replaced with "The Right Stuff."

I've used "The Right Stuff" a couple times, but don't really trust it because it seems like magic. Is it really magic?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Batman is a pussy.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Batman is a pussy.

Certainly explains Robin

:haw:

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Sold the 240, bought the Fit and then a set of snow tires w/ wheels all on Craigslist, absolutely painless if you know the red flags. Had no jerking around, no flakes, no scams...then again I only dealt with people in the snooty areas so they were exceptions to the rule. The only attempted mugging/scam was someone asking me to drive it down to Schenectady so they could look at it...sorry but it's a car, not a pizza.

But Schenectady is UP AND COMING. *dies from bullet stabbing*

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

meatpimp posted:

I've used "The Right Stuff" a couple times, but don't really trust it because it seems like magic. Is it really magic?

It's really magic. It was the only poo poo that would seal the end gaskets of my old SBC the first time, every time.

Geirskogul, since the ACVW engine is about as common as the SBC, I've got to imagine there are rubber gaskets out there for it.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

mafoose posted:

Grey RTV is actually quite nice to work with (both on application and removal). But yeah gently caress orange for everything except temporary exhaust fixes.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's really magic. It was the only poo poo that would seal the end gaskets of my old SBC the first time, every time.

Geirskogul, since the ACVW engine is about as common as the SBC, I've got to imagine there are rubber gaskets out there for it.

Theres bolt on covers with rubber gaskets.

its a MUCH better upgrade vs the little jesus clips.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Okay nerds (kastein?) I have a problem. My stereo recently stopped working on phono.

The black connector here, with the white poo poo around it, is the connection for the record player. When plugged in, nothing. But if I pull on it a bit, magically it spins. Is this just a bad solder joint? And if so, can I simply reflow it, or do I get to do my first repair job? I can solder and braze piping, but the only electrical I've ever done was a lovely LED light a decade ago.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Pop the board off, taking note of screws. You may not have to remove the epoxy poo poo on the top, your connections likely solders on the bottom. But I'll defer to Ken (or Motty) who can say the same things with purtier two dollar whore words.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Viggen posted:

Pop the board off, taking note of screws. You may not have to remove the epoxy poo poo on the top, your connections likely solders on the bottom. But I'll defer to Ken (or Motty) who can say the same things with purtier two dollar whore words.

Would it hurt anything to do it in place if I can? It's a bitch to get the board out. And thanks, because I never even thought to look at the bottom. The epoxy is clearly broken off of one of the two wires, and this is a lovely picture of the soldering on the bottom.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

Oh, I bought rubber replacements, and used some Permatex High-Tack on both sides of them (thin, thin coating) when installing. I've never used The Right Stuff, but I do love me some high-tack when used with appropriately-thick rubber gaskets. I am thinking about bolt-on covers in the future, though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

Okay nerds (kastein?) I have a problem. My stereo recently stopped working on phono.

The black connector here, with the white poo poo around it, is the connection for the record player. When plugged in, nothing. But if I pull on it a bit, magically it spins. Is this just a bad solder joint? And if so, can I simply reflow it, or do I get to do my first repair job? I can solder and braze piping, but the only electrical I've ever done was a lovely LED light a decade ago.

Yep, just reflow it from the bottom.

And C1336 is dead/dying (top left electrolytic cap). While the board is off find another and replace it. And any other electrolytic that looks like that.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Motronic posted:

And C1336 is dead/dying (top left electrolytic cap). While the board is off find another and replace it. And any other electrolytic that looks like that.

This is why I loving love SA. Now come help me with my two vintage radios

Thanks guys. 😚

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I'm getting sick of trying to get my haggard-rear end Bimmers to run, and Goatse Guy says I'm not allowed to get a boring econobox :smith:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

This is why I loving love SA. Now come help me with my two vintage radios

Thanks guys. 😚

Also, if you haven't done repair soldering before, start here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKX-GBe_lUI

Even if you already know what you're doing, it's worth it for the music.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

iwentdoodie posted:

Now come help me with my two vintage radios.

If they're tube radios, you need to watch out because they had a more cavalier approach to grounding and chassis isolation in those days. There's a simple modification which should make it safer, but I'm phoneposting and can't link it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Motronic posted:

Beat me to it on both fronts. I am not sure if that cap is actually burst or if it is just a trick of the camera, but it looks burst. Replace with same type, diameter, pin spacing, same or higher voltage, same (within about 10%, but that one is nothing special so digikey/mouser/jameco/allied/newark/element14/farnell/whatever company you want will certainly have an exact match) capacitance. If the top is actually flat, you are fine, if the top is bulging, you need a new one. Check the rest of the board too and see if any others are getting fishy.

Use a nice weak iron for that, no torches, no acid flux, rosin 60/40 or 63/37 alloy solder only, gently caress RoHS leadfree. Don't put too much heat into it and don't scrub at the board or you will damage the copper traces.

Other than that it is pretty easy really.

Oh, and that connector may just be hashed, but try reflowing it first. At least it doesn't appear to be one of the ones with an integral switch that closes when there's no plug inserted - those sometimes get nasty and have to be replaced. It actually looks like the back of a right angle SPDT slide switch.

kastein fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 21, 2014

• Locked thread