Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Shifty Pony posted:

Cross posting from the SCOTUS thread:

Thank the various gods...

gently caress you Scalia, Alito, and Thomas.

Abbot and Perry have got to be livid that their pet women punishment protecting bill won't go into effect while Davis is probably ecstatic for the chance to talk about something other than that awful ad.

Oh come on. Clarence Thomas didn't vote that way because he hates women. He did it because he disagrees with the existence of the post-1860 federal government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lemming posted:

The thing I don't get about the stay is that their argument is that it's too close to the election to change the rules. That's only a problem if it's MORE restrictive. Even theoretically if someone went out of the way to get an ID then they're not going to get turned away because they had it.

And by "don't get" I mean it's extremely transparently partisan.

The thing is, this close to the election, the state can argue that all the preparations have been made, that all the voter info has been sent, and changing the voting procedure this close to the election could confuse the voters. Honestly, I'd have been surprised if the appeals court didn't issue the stay.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Loling hard at some of the statesman comments:

quote:

Oh goodie! Yet ANOTHER big success for baby-killing bi***es that refuse to take responsibility for their promiscuity. Anyone ever hear of a little thing called PREVENTION?? There REALLY IS such a thing as birth control that does NOT kill the unborn child. Hey, if you can get the money for an abortion, you can certainly afford NOT to get pregnant in the first place!!

quote:

I'm all for lots of abortion clinics. Dumbocrats are the super majority that uses them. They will thin their on herd.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sardonik posted:

Loling hard at some of the statesman comments:

Statesman comments are 70% trolls attempting to get the other trolls' personas to feign outrage. And 30% spam they never seem to be able to fix.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Shifty Pony posted:

Statesman comments are 70% trolls attempting to get the other trolls' personas to feign outrage. And 30% spam they never seem to be able to fix.

I want to believe. :colbert:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Everyone have your photo IDs ready?

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Trabisnikof posted:

Everyone have your photo IDs ready?

Basically expected it to happen. Now I'm just hoping it backfires and results in married Republican women not getting to vote since their names won't match properly with the state records.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

e_angst posted:

Basically expected it to happen. Now I'm just hoping it backfires and results in married Republican women not getting to vote since their names won't match properly with the state records.

You mean like last election?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

e_angst posted:

What makes you think white women are going to get their IDs challenged?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

What makes you think white women are going to get their IDs challenged?

Well, seeing as Wendy Davis had to sign an affidavit to vote last time...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yikes

quote:

As early voters head to the polls for a landmark election in Texas, a new survey conducted for KHOU-TV and Houston Public Media shows Republican Greg Abbott with a commanding lead over Democrat Wendy Davis in the race for governor.

Abbott's supported by 47 percent of likely voters surveyed for the poll, compared to Davis' 32 percent. Another 15 percent were undecided.

Green Party candidates Brandon Parmer carried 1.4 percent and Libertarian Kathie Glass .7 percent. About 2 percent of surveyed voters wouldn't say who they're supporting.

This latest poll dovetails with other surveys conducted earlier this year showing Abbott with a double-digit lead over Davis, indicating few voters have changed their minds during the course of the campaign.

"There always could be a crisis, a major gaffe, something like that," said Bob Stein, the Rice University political scientist and KHOU analyst who supervised the poll. "But it's very hard to imagine that you can reverse a double-digit lead."

In the lieutenant governor's race, Republican Dan Patrick also has a double-digit lead over his Democratic opponent, Leticia Van de Putte. Patrick's supported by 36 percent of surveyed voters compared to Van de Putte's 24 percent.

Also, have y'all seen that "Governor BARACK OBAMA?!?!" ad?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm really sort of blase over the governor's race. But Patrick worries me. The Dallas Morning News, the rock-solid voice of the Republican business establishment, endorsed Van de Putte.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well he's literally a right wing talk radio host. He's as Tea Party as they come. The only "hopeful" thing I'll say is that his ads have been position and issue focused (which is a luxury you have when you're up double digits) and so he recognizes that he'll have to work with Van de Putte next session and isn't scorching earth.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
Abbott unsure if he would have defended bans on interacial marriage back in the late 1960's

quote:

“Right now, if there was a ban on interracial marriage, that’s already been ruled unconstitutional,” Abbott told the San Antonio Express-News editorial board. “And all I can do is deal with the issues that are before me … The job of an attorney general is to represent and defend in court the laws of their client, which is the state Legislature, unless and until a court strikes it down.”

More from the Express-News’ Peggy Fikac:

quote:

When I said I wasn’t clear if he [Abbott] was saying he would have defended a ban on interracial marriage, he said, “Actually, the reason why you’re uncertain about it is because I didn’t answer the question. And I can’t go back and answer some hypothetical question like that.”

While I understand Abbott's point about his strict adherence to what he feels are the rules of laws no matter what his personal views may be, it's still really stupid. It reminds me of Rand Paul's now semi-famous interview on the Rachel Maddow show back in the day where he squirmed uncomfortably and couldn't quite answer whether not denying black people eating at a restaurant was a good rule of law or bad rule of law.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
Also early voting runs from today through the 31st.

:siren: GET OUT AND VOTE, Y'ALL :siren:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

How do we feel about Amendment 1? I was planning on voting for because we need to use the rainy day fund for something, but I'm interested to hear other opinions.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well assuming it actually delivers the $1.2 bn biennially to transportation, this will give us approximately a quarter of what TxDot says it needs for M&O on existing roads.

But yeah it's better than nothing. I guess it would be better if we spent more on education or Medicaid or whatever, but that's not on the ballot so might as well :shrug:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Badger of Basra posted:

How do we feel about Amendment 1? I was planning on voting for because we need to use the rainy day fund for something, but I'm interested to hear other opinions.

I'm for it. It's not enough and yea in a perfect world I'd love the rainy day fund to be used for slightly more pressing issues like education but we do objectively need more money in infrastructure and I'd rather have something than nothing. It's a typical Texas proposal, we'll throw some money at it but not enough so we can huff and puff about how the gaddang gubmint can't do nothin right, but it's better than voting no which would result in absolutely nothing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If you live in Austin please vote for Prop 1.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

zoux posted:

That bad there? Here in Houston we have a lot of lovely roads but there's actually been a push to fix them for a bit now, it's been slow but the worst one right by my place just got patched up pretty well actually.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

That bad there?

Lmao

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Haha goddamn, I knew it was bad but NY/LA levels? poo poo have fun there.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

But it's not on the right route!!!!!!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's really only like that if you have to use the major highways like I35, 183, MoPac, etc and major arteries like Wm Cannon or Lamar. I take surface streets on my commute and it's about 20 minutes.

But yeah I use to have to take 35 to 183 to get home and it took me about an hour. Same distance to work from my old place and my new place.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Xarthor posted:

Also early voting runs from today through the 31st.

:siren: GET OUT AND VOTE, Y'ALL :siren:

They always put bullshit locations nobody likes to vote at on the first day. Universities won't get polling stations until the 26.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Nonsense posted:

They always put bullshit locations nobody likes to vote at on the first day. Universities won't get polling stations until the 26.

Where do you live? UT has one on campus and another like 2 blocks away (from the edge of campus).

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx
The line for early voting today in the deepest blue heart of South Austin took me about 15 minutes to get through, and stayed about the same length the whole time I was there. So turnout is looking pretty good. Of course, that's why we're split into so damned many congressional districts. (Seriously my congressional rep is loving Lamar Smith, and his district is so goddamned gerrymandered that there wasn't even a democrat running against him.)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I should go early vote. I mean, the best chance to stop Dan Patrick was when he was primarying David "zzzzzzzz" Dewhurst, but still. Maybe every legal Latino in the state will miraculously turn out.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I should go early vote. I mean, the best chance to stop Dan Patrick was when he was primarying David "zzzzzzzz" Dewhurst, but still. Maybe every legal Latino in the state will miraculously turn out.

I did my part!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Yikes

Also, have y'all seen that "Governor BARACK OBAMA?!?!" ad?

No one is shocked that Davis is losing - she is a lovely candidate and there's little redeeming about her other than being not-Greg Abbot.

I had her campaign people come into my (university level) class the other day to register people to vote, and they were absolute shits who knew nothing about voter registration, and just wanted to sing Wendy's virtues to my class. I really couldn't just bring in some partisan people to preach to my class (as much as I agree with them), and tried to insist that simply registering voters would be a plus to the campaign. I don't even think they managed to register people properly :negative:

TLDR: Her campaign isn't very good. I know lots of people who work on it here, and they're all super pessimistic and some have some bad stories about Wendy herself - they just hate the Republicans/Abbot more.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

JosefStalinator posted:

No one is shocked that Davis is losing - she is a lovely candidate and there's little redeeming about her other than being not-Greg Abbot.

I had her campaign people come into my (university level) class the other day to register people to vote, and they were absolute shits who knew nothing about voter registration, and just wanted to sing Wendy's virtues to my class. I really couldn't just bring in some partisan people to preach to my class (as much as I agree with them), and tried to insist that simply registering voters would be a plus to the campaign. I don't even think they managed to register people properly :negative:

TLDR: Her campaign isn't very good. I know lots of people who work on it here, and they're all super pessimistic and some have some bad stories about Wendy herself - they just hate the Republicans/Abbot more.

VDP, at least, is actually a pretty cool Congresslady. Too bad not enough people are paying attention to that race.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Badger of Basra posted:

But it's not on the right route!!!!!!

Ha. Austin politics are going to get hilarious when the districts come into full force. The city is stuffed with people that are of the "if it doesn't benefit me personally it has no reason to exist" mentality.

I need to read up on the bajillion people running for my district but the times I have looked into it they all are pretty much the same: pledge to fix transportation and affordability but without any plans that might actually address those problems and with many other pledges which contradict them.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I only had three candidates, but two of them were Tovo and Riley.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Well that certainly narrows down the choices. I have seven. And I'm in district seven... oh no :tinfoil:

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Badger of Basra posted:

I only had three candidates, but two of them were Tovo and Riley.

What up fellow District 9er! :sotw:

Go with Riley, seriously. Tovo is in the pocket of the neighborhood associations and has spent more time in office protecting the lawns/views of people with half-million dollar homes than doing anything to help out the renters that make up 80% of the district.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The sign game outside my grocery store was absolutely bonkers.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

e_angst posted:

What up fellow District 9er! :sotw:

Go with Riley, seriously. Tovo is in the pocket of the neighborhood associations and has spent more time in office protecting the lawns/views of people with half-million dollar homes than doing anything to help out the renters that make up 80% of the district.

I voted for the third lady, mainly out of spite because I know I'm going to have to make this same choice in December. Also I don't like that Riley voted for every tax incentive and his endless crowing about Lyft and Uber. I am aware that these are largely not rational reasons to vote against someone.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Man, my early voting station in Houston was practically dead when I went. It was nearly an hour late when I voted early at the same place in 2012.

I know that we're not going to win the Gov/Lt. Gov races, but I hope we can at least kick Devon Anderson out as the DA.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
I voted for the Austin rail even if it doesn't benefit me personally. I'm all for creating opportunities to live along a route where you can commute to work without driving.

Also, they aren't going to ever use the general fund for education because Texas, but at least we can get our infrastructure fixed up a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rabble posted:

I voted for the Austin rail even if it doesn't benefit me personally. I'm all for creating opportunities to live along a route where you can commute to work without driving.

Also, they aren't going to ever use the general fund for education because Texas, but at least we can get our infrastructure fixed up a bit.

Do you drive? Because the rail funding included road funding too.