Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
No, actually you should do it right now. Spoilers: All their attacks are physical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Nullifying elements is the worst way to handle the dragons. Their eye technique negates that in addition to making you weak to said element.

On another note, there's apparently a Bravely Default Drama CD where Yulyana and DeRosso have a visit with each other, get drunk, then get into a fight over which of them is actually drunk before deciding to fight to the death to prove they aren't drunk before Braev shows up and interrupts things. :allears:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

alcharagia posted:

No, actually you should do it right now. Spoilers: All their attacks are physical.

The attack was also element based, just that I didn't notice that one ability that cancels out fire buffs the first time around. I lashed that dragon's poo poo this time, although buffing everyone with Protect probably didn't hurt.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Nullifying elements is the worst way to handle the dragons. Their eye technique negates that in addition to making you weak to said element.

Nullifying after they do the eye technique on the other hand negates them in addition to making you immune to said element.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
What I meant by that is if you use a Ninja you literally can't lose that fight unless you actively try to.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

There are at least three different ways to completely nullify the dragon's ability to hurt you.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Or tank the damage with double HP and HP 30% up and heal it every turn :black101:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I just bought this game and it's really good so far. I'm only on Chapter 1, and I just met the Sage guy who told me to go get Thread, but it's charming as hell, I like most of the characters (Ringabel bounces between sort of grating and best character hands down, and my eyes nearly rolled into my head when the Sage started hitting on Agnes), but other than those rare instances it's really fun. I even enjoy some of the apparently sort of disliked English voice acting.

Ominas Crowe's stutter was great, as was Profiteur's awful accent, and I'm sad (Really minor Chapter 1 spoilers) they died so early.

I've been trying to avoid Abilink and Summon Friend though, because they seem like they cheese the game way too much, at least early on. How important are the base stats for characters? Is an Edea Knight a lot worse than a Ringabel Knight, for example? I've sort of been using Edea for physical jobs, Tiz for Black Magic, Agnes for White Magic, and Ringabel for "whatever", so he's gone Monk-Thief-Merchant.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Job/ability synergy matters a lot more than raw stats anyhow, but the base stat differences are pretty minor.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The stat difference between the four characters is minuscule. Agnes is about as good at physical classes as Tiz, and vice versa with Tiz and magic classes. There are also permanent stat increase items. Don't worry about base stats, class level is what is important as far as that goes.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

I've been trying to avoid Abilink and Summon Friend though, because they seem like they cheese the game way too much, at least early on. How important are the base stats for characters? Is an Edea Knight a lot worse than a Ringabel Knight, for example? I've sort of been using Edea for physical jobs, Tiz for Black Magic, Agnes for White Magic, and Ringabel for "whatever", so he's gone Monk-Thief-Merchant.

From what I understand, Tiz is average, Agnes is best for mage classes, Ringabel is the fastest, and Edea is the hardest hitter.

They all function pretty well as any job, though.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 4, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
After putting 40+ hours into the game and not even being in Chapter 3, and knowing what I know about the later Chapters, I am not sure I can recommend this game if you care about finishing it. Those 40 hours were fun though.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Beat the game, sad that it went by so soon

said after three months of playing it on my commute to and from work

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The game is fun even after the plot twist. Although I got to Chapter 7 and put it down for a while as everything was kicking my rear end.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The job system is great but the severe lack of anything to do other than "go to quest marker, fight things, watch cutscenes, repeat" was a real drag. Some minigames or something would have really livened up the experience. Also I actually found it annoying that random battles were so easy they literally required no input from me; at that point, why not just do the Earthbound thing where the battle doesn't even happen, the screen just flashes "You win!" and gives you XP?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

played the game for 40 hours and didn't even get halfway, found every random encounter super easy

hmmm, nope, no way these two facts could possibly be related

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cake Attack posted:

played the game for 40 hours and didn't even get halfway, found every random encounter super easy

hmmm, nope, no way these two facts could possibly be related

Hey I'm not saying that I know for a fact the game won't get better, I'm just saying that putting 40 hours in and knowing I have a very long way to go still, and that the fundamental flow of the game is always going to be "fight mans" like I'm playing Dragon Quest 3 up in here, I just lost any desire to keep going. It's a really good game, but it wore me out. Maybe someday I'll go back and finish it, but it just stopped being fun at the 30 hour mark for me.

I know this thread's consensus is that it's God's gift to JRPGs, I was just offering my feelings on it. :shobon:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

my point was that that's an obscenely long play time for still being in chapter 2 and you're probably super overleveled

i don't think it's the best game or even jrpg ever, far from it, but some of your problems kinda seem like your own fault here

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cake Attack posted:

my point was that that's an obscenely long play time for still being in chapter 2 and you're probably super overleveled

i don't think it's the best game or even jrpg ever, far from it, but some of your problems kinda seem like your own fault here

Actually I'm at the end of chapter 3, and I usually turned encounters off quite a bit. Don't know why I typed chapter 2 back there.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

precision posted:

The job system is great but the severe lack of anything to do other than "go to quest marker, fight things, watch cutscenes, repeat" was a real drag. Some minigames or something would have really livened up the experience. Also I actually found it annoying that random battles were so easy they literally required no input from me; at that point, why not just do the Earthbound thing where the battle doesn't even happen, the screen just flashes "You win!" and gives you XP?

That would be an especially useful thing to have happen when you equip Obliterate at the appropriate level. Assuming you have on an accessory that negates blindsides, of course. Turns out if any enemy bumrushes you, Obliterate doesn't activate for that battle.

And yes, I hope they add things like chocobos and mini-games. They were really proud of the battle system and that's fine, but it does really limit the options. I mean, if you get tired of fighting the crystal bosses over and over, your only real reprieve is Norende, which is basically just "Put people here and wait for ____ hour(s) until they finish."

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

LordHippoman posted:

How important are the base stats for characters? Is an Edea Knight a lot worse than a Ringabel Knight, for example? I've sort of been using Edea for physical jobs, Tiz for Black Magic, Agnes for White Magic, and Ringabel for "whatever", so he's gone Monk-Thief-Merchant.

The only stats that really, really matter are pdef and speed/agi. The bulk of the damage you take in this game is physical, and being able to act first can make or break certain fights. Otherwise, use any character you want in any role you want, the base stat differences are insignificant and group composition is going to have a much stronger impact on boss fights than any stat min-maxing will. That said, remember to defeat any nemesis that arrives in your village (if you're around their level) since they drop items that can permanently raise a character's stats, because why not?

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 4, 2014

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Also keep in mind that you're going to want to level up most, if not all the jobs, on all your characters so that you can set them all up with completely broken ability combinations. :unsmigghh:

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

sitchelin posted:

The only stats that really, really matter are pdef and speed/agi. The bulk of the damage you take in this game is physical, and being able to act first can make or break certain fights. Otherwise, use any character you want in any role you want, the base stat differences are insignificant and group composition is going to have a much stronger impact on boss fights than any stat min-maxing will. That said, remember to defeat any nemesis that arrives in your village (if you're around their level) since they drop items that can permanently raise a character's stats, because why not?

Nemeses give a ton of experience, too. Some of the level-99 ones can be comfortably beaten at level 70 with the right tactics and they'll shoot you up 10 or more levels just like that.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

precision posted:

Actually I'm at the end of chapter 3, and I usually turned encounters off quite a bit. Don't know why I typed chapter 2 back there.

How do you have 40 hours of gameplay in chapter 3? I think I finished the game with 65 hours all up and I didn't skip a single sidequest even in post-chapter 4 hell.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I've clocked over 100 hours and I'm on Chapter 7.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this already, but is there anything major to be gained by finishing all of the optional boss battles in chapter 8? It doesn't seem like there's any new equipment worth stealing/winning and it doesn't seem like there's much in way of new plot. I'm just about broken from it all, chapter 7 was hard enough as it was and everything about the ones in chapter 8 make me want to crawl into a ball and rock slowly back and forth.

Speaking of chapter 7, it became a whole lot easier once I discovered the wonders of My Hero/Mimic combined with a Pirate/Swordmaster. Really wish I had been using that a lot sooner.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this already, but is there anything major to be gained by finishing all of the optional boss battles in chapter 8? It doesn't seem like there's any new equipment worth stealing/winning and it doesn't seem like there's much in way of new plot. I'm just about broken from it all, chapter 7 was hard enough as it was and everything about the ones in chapter 8 make me want to crawl into a ball and rock slowly back and forth.

Speaking of chapter 7, it became a whole lot easier once I discovered the wonders of My Hero/Mimic combined with a Pirate/Swordmaster. Really wish I had been using that a lot sooner.

All you get is the sweet satisfaction of victory. But beating those battles, except the final gauntlet of doom, is a pretty good sign that you are ready to face the Final Boss. Who I actually found harder than most of the sidequest battles, though I may have just used an awful strategy.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Chapter 8's side bosses are pretty much just there for bragging rights, yeah. Nothing in particular you'll miss out on aside from some cutscene banter.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah, I figured as much. I'm fairly sure I could beat each one individually, I'm just really not in the mood to do all of them. I did beat a couple, though I had to resort to abusing Stillness to make it through.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Just wait until you get to Quad Magic. :getin:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Assuming I do press on, is it possible to revisit chapters in NG+ or something? I really want to finish the game, but I could also see myself wanting to give the gauntlet a try someday.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The fights will still be there from Chapter 8 even if you move onto the final chapter. The chapters are functionally the exact same thing, just with a different name. Once you beat the final boss you'll load back to the beginning of Chapter 8. You can not, however, redo any fights you might have missed from Chapter 7.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Probably no sense in finishing the pre-gauntlet fights now then, since I would just have to do them again later.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The chapter 7 and 8 bosses have the same stuff to steal as I recall, so fighting them can be worth it if you missed something or want an extra.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

There'll be more new Bravely Second footage in just a couple minutes. Here's the stream, currently showing off Final Fantasy Explorers.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also bravely default songs in theatrythm

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Wait what?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Kurtofan posted:

Wait what?

They picked the good boss fight songs, too.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

Wait what?
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/11/06/bravely-default-tunes-coming-theatrhythm-final-fantasy-curtain-call/

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Too bad the last Notification from that game said "Final DLC available" so good luck on it coming to America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't think you realize "Final DLC Available" doesn't mean "Final DLC forever until the end of time."

• Locked thread