Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Did the latest YouTube update gently caress up the landscape layout of the app on anyone else's retina iPad mini? The menu sidebar extends way too far now, like 66% of the screen leaving only 33% for the video list. Used to be the other way around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

tuyop posted:

Stuff like getting the weather a tap faster (since you swipe both to unlock and get the notification centre) seems like a really strange thing to be this interested in, since everyone here probably remembers a time when it wasn't available at all and they still managed.
Look at this old-phone-haver swiping to unlock like it's the 20th century or something.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Martytoof posted:

Did the latest YouTube update gently caress up the landscape layout of the app on anyone else's retina iPad mini? The menu sidebar extends way too far now, like 66% of the screen leaving only 33% for the video list. Used to be the other way around.
Happening on the iPad Air too.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Try MxTube, although it doesn't have YouTube's auto Safari->app thing...which was a plus for me.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Ever since I updated 1Password to the latest version, it never asks for TouchID unless I just had the app open and unlocked, and just switched away from it for a second. If I open the app cold, it always asks for my master password. It didn't do this when iOS8 first came out, it changed to this behavior with the last big update.

Is this how it's supposed to be, or is my install broken or something wrong with my settings?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

OldSenileGuy posted:

Ever since I updated 1Password to the latest version, it never asks for TouchID unless I just had the app open and unlocked, and just switched away from it for a second. If I open the app cold, it always asks for my master password. It didn't do this when iOS8 first came out, it changed to this behavior with the last big update.

Is this how it's supposed to be, or is my install broken or something wrong with my settings?

Check your settings. In Lastpass you have to set the password lock for a long time and turn on Touch ID. It's not very intuitive and it takes a bit of finagling.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

OldSenileGuy posted:

The only time it should be asking for the Master Password is the 1st time you access it after you've rebooted the iPhone or you have grubby, nasty fingers and TouchID gives up on trying to find a fingerprint. I just verified mine only asked for a fingerprint after I unloaded 1Password and re-opened it. I also have it set to lock after I move away from the app.

Agilebits has a really good support forum and should be able to help you out if it's just flat out not using Touch ID when you tell it to in the Security section of Settings.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

OldSenileGuy posted:

Go into settings inside 1password; you can adjust how often it asks for master password vs touchID. Also while you're there make sure you're still syncing assuming you were doing that. For me, at least one of the versions they released seemed to have an issue where it dropped the Dropbox sync setup but kept all the data so it wasn't noticeable except on new/changed things from desktop/other devices.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The "double timer" 1password thing seems to be gone.

Mine also asked for the password the first time, but then TouchID after that.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

OldSenileGuy posted:

They made a change to the settings in a recent update. When it first came out for 8.0, there were separate settings for the master password time-out and Touch ID time-out. Now the settings are consolidated and it simply asks whether you want it to lock on exit, how long to wait for auto-lock, and whether you want to use Touch ID. Assuming you do, it only requests the master password after a device reset or if it can't verify your identity via Touch ID. Possibly check your settings or consider re-installing the app?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

tuyop posted:

Check your settings. In Lastpass you have to set the password lock for a long time and turn on Touch ID. It's not very intuitive and it takes a bit of finagling.

I use lastpass and always have to input my password despite the use Touch ID option being nominally activated. What is this second step to make it work?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I see that VLC was taken down from the App Store. What's a good free alternative for playing MKV files?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I see that VLC was taken down from the App Store. What's a good free alternative for playing MKV files?

nPlayer!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Xguard86 posted:

I use lastpass and always have to input my password despite the use Touch ID option being nominally activated. What is this second step to make it work?

Here are my settings, try copying these?

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
Is there any app that has permissions to delete iOS photos? I want screenshots to delete themselves after a certain amount of time, since I have an unhealthy obsession with screenshotting terrible Facebook posts to show my friends. I have an IFTTT recipe that puts them all into a separate folder, so I can just go in and delete them all in one go, but it doesn't always work.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I know that developers are now able to use Touch ID to lock/unlock their apps but are they able to use Touch ID to sign into their services via an app?

For example would a bank be able to use Touch ID to let you sign into their online banking system so you don't have to enter your password whenever you wanted to check your balance or such?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

bvoid posted:

Is there any app that has permissions to delete iOS photos? I want screenshots to delete themselves after a certain amount of time, since I have an unhealthy obsession with screenshotting terrible Facebook posts to show my friends. I have an IFTTT recipe that puts them all into a separate folder, so I can just go in and delete them all in one go, but it doesn't always work.

I think the closest you will get is Flic. (Which is still manual, but very useful at photo management.)

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

serebralassazin posted:

I know that developers are now able to use Touch ID to lock/unlock their apps but are they able to use Touch ID to sign into their services via an app?

For example would a bank be able to use Touch ID to let you sign into their online banking system so you don't have to enter your password whenever you wanted to check your balance or such?

I'm not sure I totally understand the question here. You can't "sign in" per se with Touch ID, because your bank doesn't know your fingerprint. Your password still needs to entered at some point. They can use Touch ID to avoid making you re-enter your password every time you open the app, but that's the same thing as locking and unlocking the app, which you already said you know is possible.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
The only way around Diabolik's explanation would be for bank apps to support something like 1Password, which is pretty much never going to happen.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Re lastpass: oh you know I didn't set it to remember my pw. Probably why it didn't work. They really should automate that when you turn in touch. It's confusing.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

Diabolik900 posted:

I'm not sure I totally understand the question here. You can't "sign in" per se with Touch ID, because your bank doesn't know your fingerprint. Your password still needs to entered at some point. They can use Touch ID to avoid making you re-enter your password every time you open the app, but that's the same thing as locking and unlocking the app, which you already said you know is possible.

I was thinking that maybe they opened it up so a developer could accept Touch ID input as an authentication to sign into your account. You have a point that the bank doesn't know my thumb print so doesn't look that will happen. Thanks.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Are there any apps that can play music?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Last Chance posted:

What do you need it to do that the default music app doesn't do?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Last Chance posted:

Spotify. :downs:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Last Chance posted:

Nope. iPhones are no-music zones.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

tuyop posted:

Here are my settings, try copying these?

This makes it stay logged in and touchID always work for using the Safari extension, but it looks like starting/switching to the app still makes you use the PIN instead of touchID. :(

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Along a similar vein, are there any good apps to view photos taken with the default Camera app?

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
Can my phone make phone calls? I need something to do that.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Last Chance posted:

Along a similar vein, are there any good apps to view photos taken with the default Camera app?

Photos app

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

bvoid posted:

This is not possible in iOS. Third party apps just can't do stuff like that.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

the kawaiiest posted:

This is not possible in iOS. Third party apps just can't do stuff like that.

As of ios 8 that's incorrect, Apple added a delete photo API. https://developer.apple.com/library...t/deleteAssets:

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Kalman posted:

As of ios 8 that's incorrect, Apple added a delete photo API. https://developer.apple.com/library...t/deleteAssets:

I was talking about automation, just doing it in the background without user interaction. Doesn't sound like that's possible in iOS, unless I'm missing something.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
So dark sky released an update today with a 1 line widget. Utterly devoid of anything like time accessed or anything but the temperature and general condition but hey, it's small!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cozmosis posted:

So dark sky released an update today with a 1 line widget. Utterly devoid of anything like time accessed or anything but the temperature and general condition but hey, it's small!

It's got the weather for the next...hour. It's the most useless thing I could possibly imagine.

Also what the gently caress is up with iPay or whatever? It says that it uses Chase Visas, and I have a Chase Visa, and it says it's not usable.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

TheJoker138 posted:

It's got the weather for the next...hour. It's the most useless thing I could possibly imagine.

Also what the gently caress is up with iPay or whatever? It says that it uses Chase Visas, and I have a Chase Visa, and it says it's not usable.

Hilarious if you think that any weather pattern that matters is predictable with certainty for more than an hour.

In other words, enjoy the widget 5x the size that reports it will be sunny all day with a beautiful background of a sun!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

TheJoker138 posted:

This is literally the whole reason that Dark Sky is even popular as an app.

Past one hour, it's forecasts go in the shitter anyway. This is fantastic.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Schpyder posted:

This makes it stay logged in and touchID always work for using the Safari extension, but it looks like starting/switching to the app still makes you use the PIN instead of touchID. :(

Do you have remember password clicked on the login screen?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

bobfather posted:

In other words, enjoy the widget 5x the size that reports it will be sunny all day with a beautiful background of a sun!

It's like you don't even know us... :(

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

I'm looking for a grocery list app or a general to-do app that can function as a grocery list. Specifically, I'd like one that remembers all the items that I've entered in the past so I can scroll through them and select ones that I want to re-add or get suggestions when I'm typing. Ideally that would be the only thing it does -- I'd prefer that the app didn't try to be "smart" and automatically categorize items by type of food or whatever.

I've been using the app Silo for this, and it's very close to what I want aside from two things. The list of previously-added items is sorted by the last time you checked it off the list with no option to sort alphabetically, which makes it very difficult to find what I'm looking for. It also doesn't provide suggestions when you're typing in a new item.

There's gotta be something like this out there already, but there are so many of these kinds of apps out there that it's hard to sort through them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
I use Wunderlist for stuff like that and I enjoy it. It does well with sharing lists and also has a nice widget.