Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Better than your transaction history working wrong. I haven't used apple pay yet, but I added my Amex card and it showed my recent transactions. It shows a $99 charge at the gas station yesterday, when I only spent about $40.

I freaked out and checked Amex's website, and it shows the proper $40 charge. I'm assuming the gas station just puts a $99 credit check/hold on the account when you swipe, and the website is smart enough to show the actual charge, while the passbook app is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

OldSenileGuy posted:

Better than your transaction history working wrong. I haven't used apple pay yet, but I added my Amex card and it showed my recent transactions. It shows a $99 charge at the gas station yesterday, when I only spent about $40.

I freaked out and checked Amex's website, and it shows the proper $40 charge. I'm assuming the gas station just puts a $99 credit check/hold on the account when you swipe, and the website is smart enough to show the actual charge, while the passbook app is not.

Interesting, I've never seen a preauth or hold from gas stations on my history before. Perhaps passbook's api can see deeper than our bank app or website will allow us.

Makes you wonder how deep the ApplePay connection is.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Depressing Box posted:

It trends more towards illustration, but Poolga has a pretty good selection of iPhone wallpapers.

loving awesome. This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

So, I want to upgrade my phone (a replacement for my original from the Apple Store, currently running 8.0) to 8.1, but when I check iTunes for an update it just says that 8.0.2 is available. Do I have to upgrade to that first before I can move on to 8.1? I'm in the continental US.

EDIT: Restarting my phone fixed it. 8.1 is now appearing as the available update on my device. Still not appearing on iTunes on my mac, though..

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 21, 2014

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Kobayashi posted:

I assume the Instant Hotspot stuff is still subject to carrier approval, right?

The answer's likely "yes," though that depends on your understanding of Instant Hostpot.

Instant Hotspot is simply a one-click way to activate tethering; there's no additional carrier voodoo surrounding it. If you can tether now, you can now use Instant Hotspot to tether more quickly. If you can't tether now, you still can't tether. In either case, the ability to tether has not changed.

kitten smoothie posted:

There are a couple big companies that basically do backend data processing for all kinds of small community banks. I wouldn't be surprised if these companies push Apple Pay as a service right in the pipeline they already have.

It's available today, in fact, from Visa and MasterCard. The big issue is that it's yet another (substantial) per-transaction cost in a time where everybody's already cutting account benefits left and right.

MasterCard, for example, will cheerfully provide the token payment infrastructure to smaller banks or branded "affinity" cards... at a cost of almost 3 cents per charge. Certainly with time there will be enough critical mass that costs are driven down (both directly from card brands and through the contract processors), but I wouldn't be surprised if those of us with credit union and small bank accounts are largely stuck waiting until the implementation deadline.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

xilni posted:

Lucky you, my transaction history doesn't work.

This is me too, with 2 chase Visa debit cards. Hoping it improves. Not a deal breaker but I'd love it to be more useful.

Oh no poo poo a charge in the city I live? For who knows how many dollars? Oh ok, word.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Family sharing seems to be messed up. Maybe because my wife hasn't updated to 8.1 yet. I tried to open an app that she had purchased, on my phone, and got an error message saying it was no longer being shared with me. I checked in settings and she is still listed as part of the family. Weird.

CPFinnit
Jun 5, 2008
I'm with a smaller credit union and my Visa debit card doesn't support Apple Pay yet, bummer.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Reading Macrumors story on Apple pay and they have a screen shot that shows a toggle on and off for "card notifications" which I do not have. I wonder if I am missing a setting or if it just varies from card to card...

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How are you guys liking the apple leather case for iphone 6?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

fleshweasel posted:

I don't even think about it anymore. And that is the best possible thing I could say about it. (For the record I have the 6+)

It's thin enough that it just becomes part of the phone. Having the black means no discoloration yet in just about a month of use. And it adds no weight. Oh and it feels good in the hand. Slips out of pockets without friction yet adds enough stickiness in your hands.

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.

fleshweasel posted:

Expensive but easily the best case I've ever owned. Adds much needed grip, not much size at all and just feels really, really nice.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I won't claim its my favorite case, which is was the cheap rear end SwitchEasy Numbers for my iPhone 5, but it's good and high quality and good feeling.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

fleshweasel posted:

I really like it. I always liked my wife's one on her 5S and the 6 one is even better imo

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

Yes to the latter. Gas stations do a default obnoxious charge when you use credit cards to deter fraud (somehow).

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Incidentally, I've had the white silicone case since launch day, and it still appears as white as ever. No denim staining or dirt or oil. I'm really surprised. I don't know what they did to make it last the way it has, but I'm impressed.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Molten Llama posted:

The answer's likely "yes," though that depends on your understanding of Instant Hostpot.

Instant Hotspot is simply a one-click way to activate tethering; there's no additional carrier voodoo surrounding it. If you can tether now, you can now use Instant Hotspot to tether more quickly. If you can't tether now, you still can't tether. In either case, the ability to tether has not changed.

Thanks, that helps. I've never been able to tether, so I didn't know how Instant Hotspot fits in.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

xilni posted:

Interesting, I've never seen a preauth or hold from gas stations on my history before. Perhaps passbook's api can see deeper than our bank app or website will allow us.

Makes you wonder how deep the ApplePay connection is.

Mint shows those temporary $99 charges sometimes too.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

fleshweasel posted:

Mine must have absorbed a drop of liquid or something because there's a lump on the back. Otherwise, it's pretty good.

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy
So, I managed to click ok to many times when pairing my iPhone and iPad for SMS hand off and didn't get the pin. Is there any way to have the pin pop up again?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Dbhjed posted:

So, I managed to click ok to many times when pairing my iPhone and iPad for SMS hand off and didn't get the pin. Is there any way to have the pin pop up again?

Go into your iMessage settings on your iPhone. Under text message forwarding, turn the slider to off of for your iPad. Turn it back on and that should make the pin pop up on your iPad.

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy

Jose Oquendo posted:

Go into your iMessage settings on your iPhone. Under text message forwarding, turn the slider to off of for your iPad. Turn it back on and that should make the pin pop up on your iPad.

Thank you!!!

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
How does sending SMS from OS X work? I assume the phone and computer connect with an AirDrop-like ad-hoc wifi network (or maybe Bluetooth) and the SMS is sent by the phone over the cellular network. I don't get cell reception at work and it would be nice to send texts from my computer, but I don't think it will work in that scenario.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Sobriquet posted:

How does sending SMS from OS X work? I assume the phone and computer connect with an AirDrop-like ad-hoc wifi network (or maybe Bluetooth) and the SMS is sent by the phone over the cellular network. I don't get cell reception at work and it would be nice to send texts from my computer, but I don't think it will work in that scenario.
Correct.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

If I send messages from my phone while my computer is asleep or away from me will the conversation be synced back up when the devices reconnect?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

xilni posted:

If I send messages from my phone while my computer is asleep or away from me will the conversation be synced back up when the devices reconnect?
Correct.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

Thanks. That's a bummer, but expected. Maybe I'll finally port my number to Google Voice when I upgrade phones. Then again I don't really have any confidence in Google maintaining that product.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Alternative to that would be to disassociate yourself with anyone who doesn't own an iPhone.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

Well currently I'm the one making green bubbles on all my friends' and family members' phones. I'm just weighing my options for switching back to iOS or continuing in the perpetually "almost there" Android world. It's probably time I just face facts that I am solidly in the Apple target demographic.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

fleshweasel posted:

If you're talking feel and function, it's an extremely solid, attractive case. I love how it feels in my hands. But I have the soft pink leather case and it's noticeably discolored and frayed all along the front. This is through normal usage where I haven't dropped it, put it on weird surfaces, etc. I've had it only since a few days after iPhone 6 release. I'm thinking of dropping by an Apple Store and exchanging it for a silicone case, which probably won't have the same problem. It's strange because I had the 5S leather case in blue and it looked only slightly discolored after many months of usage.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So SMS is working from my computer, but the Messages app only shows the messages i've sent from my computer. I kinda assumed that it would download my messages from my phone so I could see past conversations, but this appears to not be the case? Or did something go wrong?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

lelandjs posted:

So SMS is working from my computer, but the Messages app only shows the messages i've sent from my computer. I kinda assumed that it would download my messages from my phone so I could see past conversations, but this appears to not be the case? Or did something go wrong?
It will from this point forward, it doesn't pull any of your old messages off at the start.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Apologies if this has already been covered, but I couldn't find anything going back a few pages.

I can't get iMessage to activate on my iPhone 6. I've had it working for a year or so on my iPhone 5, iPad and Mac, but the 6 doesn't do it for some reason.

This is a new install - not a backup restore. I've tried hard resetting it, as well as deactivating iCloud then switching it on again.

When I turn iMessage on, my Mac and iPad both display pop ups saying something along the lines of 'iMessage is now being used on an iPhone’, but it doesn't activate. After an hour or so it says activation failed, try again.

Is there something I should be doing to get it working, other than a clean install? I want to get this working so I can use this SMS sync thing.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Not sure if this is a Paper issue or an 8.1 issue but I took some photos tonight and they were in photostream but not Camera Roll. Eventually they showed up in Camera Roll but when I go to Paper those latest photos don't show up as selectable... they don't exist. I can change the source from Camera Roll to Photostream and the pics are there but if I load it for Paper, it's just a gray image.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Whirlwind Jones posted:

It will from this point forward, it doesn't pull any of your old messages off at the start.

That both makes sense and is kinda disappointing. Oh well.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
The (a?) WiFi issue may not be totally resolved yet. Just saw my full strength WiFi go to LTE for about 5 seconds.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

A list of stores that won't support Apple Pay, waiting for MCX to release a smartphone app instead: http://www.techtimes.com/articles/15496/20140912/why-some-top-brand-retailers-not-on-board-with-apple-pay.htm

Bed Bath & Beyond, Best Buy, Circle K, Conoco, CVS, Dick's Sporting Goods, Dillard's, Fresh Market, Gap, Hobby Lobby, Kmart, Kohl's, Lowe's, Michael's, Old Navy, Publix, QuikTrip, Rite Aid, Sam's Club, Sears, Shell, ShopRite, 7-Eleven, Southwest Airlines, Target, and Wal-Mart, Wawa and Wendy's

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'm going to make a thread later on, but I figured I'd give you guys first grabs, but does anyone want to trade my Elevation Dock for The Sims 4 Deluxe or enough to cover the cost of the game?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So even with the update we can't get rid of the recently deleted pics folder?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
For those wondering Swype still doesn't work with Messages. Piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

A list of stores that won't support Apple Pay, waiting for MCX to release a smartphone app instead: http://www.techtimes.com/articles/15496/20140912/why-some-top-brand-retailers-not-on-board-with-apple-pay.htm

Bed Bath & Beyond, Best Buy, Circle K, Conoco, CVS, Dick's Sporting Goods, Dillard's, Fresh Market, Gap, Hobby Lobby, Kmart, Kohl's, Lowe's, Michael's, Old Navy, Publix, QuikTrip, Rite Aid, Sam's Club, Sears, Shell, ShopRite, 7-Eleven, Southwest Airlines, Target, and Wal-Mart, Wawa and Wendy's

Not surprised to see Hobby Lobby on that list, they don't even use UPC codes in tyool 2014. Otherwise this is a list of stores that will in 12-18 months time cave and install NFC hardware at registers (or more likely, turn on the NFC feature already built into the new EMV-compatible terminals they'll be buying anyway). Or stores that won't exist in 12-18 months (Sears).