Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

ninjahedgehog posted:

Be warned: VIET has a lot of really loving stupid events, like you run into a fat girl in the woods, she makes you an omelet! Those Chinese sure like brushing their teeth! I found a single gold coin on the ground while taking a piss!

BUT it has the battlefield duel system, which is absolutely balls-to-the-wall awesome. There's nothing quite like a swordfight with the Caliph himself, making him beg for mercy, and then saying no. :getin:

Hey man, that unsightly lady confers a permanent tax bonus to your capital province; cleaning your teeth can earn points for your health stat; wouldn't you be psyched if you found a dollar while taking a piss???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

Be warned: VIET has a lot of really loving stupid events, like you run into a fat girl in the woods, she makes you an omelet! Those Chinese sure like brushing their teeth! I found a single gold coin on the ground while taking a piss!

Isn't that the mod where the creator did hours of research into Zoroastrian mythology solely to create an immersive series of incest events?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

BBJoey posted:

Isn't that the mod where the creator did hours of research into Zoroastrian mythology solely to create an immersive series of incest events?

Weren't those events about the moral dilemma your character faced for boning his/her sister/brother? Regardless. Weird poo poo.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I think I've figured out why the Abbasids are always so stable in the Charlemagne start. It's because the Hashimid Emir is a Shia Sayyid and can create the Shia Caliphate as soon as he has enough money while remaining a vassal of the Sunni Caliph. With the Shia Caliph as a landed vassal of the Sunni Caliph, the Rise of the Shia event will never fire as long as the Shia Caliph keeps having kids to pass the Caliphate to. This leads to an incredibly stable Abbasid Empire.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 21, 2014

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

McGavin posted:

I think I've figured out why the Abbasids are always so stable in the Charlemagne start. It's because the Hashimid Emir is a Shia Sayyid and can create the Shia Caliphate as soon as he has enough money while remaining a vassal of the Sunni Caliph. With the Shia Caliph as a landed vassal of the Sunni Caliph, the Rise of the Shia event will never fire as long as the Shia Caliph keeps having kids to pass the Caliphate to. This leads to an incredibly stable Abbasid Empire.

Maybe, though I think I might place more weight on the hosed decadence mechanics.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

McGavin posted:

So if I wanted to implode the Abbasids, I tag over to them and grant the Shia caliph independence?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

So if I wanted to implode the Abbasids, I tag over to them and grant the Shia caliph independence?

No, you have to make it so there is no Shia Caliph. Then eventually some wonderkid will spawn in Sunni territory with a doomstack of event troops and great generals. Even if the Abbasids kill him off more will keep spawning until there is a Shia Caliphate. :getin:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Fintilgin posted:

They did in CK1, and Paradox learned their lesson.

There were some crazy eugenics shenanigans.
:getin:
Tell me more...

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

nutranurse posted:

Hey man, that unsightly lady confers a permanent tax bonus to your capital province; cleaning your teeth can earn points for your health stat; wouldn't you be psyched if you found a dollar while taking a piss???

I can deal with the occasional stupid poo poo from a mod so long as it doesn't become entirely stupid poo poo.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Wonder if anyone has any thoughts about this:

I'm running the new patch, I've restarted the game, I've let over a year pass. It says my son will inherit house af Munso, but for some reason this other patrician is going to get everything else. However, I don't get the pop-up saying my realm is going to split up up at the top, like I do if I defund this election and the other patrician has more respect than me. So I am wondering if this message is wrong and my successor will get everything, or if it's going to gently caress me.

If I were to designate a heir that has more respect without having to add any campaign funds, then everything appears as it should. I am playing iron-man so not very interested in testing out whether the message in the pic is just wrong.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Tell me more...

It's been a while since I've played CK1, but people would straight up breed armies of supermen. It got to the point that the main mod actually had an event that subtracted between 1 and 5 points from every stat when a character was a child.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

McGavin posted:

No, you have to make it so there is no Shia Caliph. Then eventually some wonderkid will spawn in Sunni territory with a doomstack of event troops and great generals. Even if the Abbasids kill him off more will keep spawning until there is a Shia Caliphate. :getin:

Those Shi'a uprisings are always summarily crushed, in my experience. :shrug:

They're like fleas nipping at a bear.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kin33 posted:

I don't think that's true. According to the wiki the child's stat gains from zero to six come from the primary parent then from 6 to 15 from their guardian. It's not much but it does make a difference. It's not really genetics but most of the time it's the same result. Higher stat primary parent equals slightly higher base stats on the child.

How does the game determine who the 'primary parent' is?

I also don't understand what's wrong with Proud, it seems to have only positive effects.

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?

Phlegmish posted:

How does the game determine who the 'primary parent' is?

I also don't understand what's wrong with Proud, it seems to have only positive effects.

Depends on the marriage type. Mother in matrilineal and father otherwise. Not sure how it works if the primary parent dies or is imprisoned.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
An AI tutor with the Proud trait will always pick the "hold the child up to everyone in the court as a shining beacon of all that is right about humanity" option when it's available, foregoing the chance of gaining a good trait and irritating various courtiers. Plus Humble is better than Proud, Piety is spendable for cooler things than Prestige is :colbert: Anyway it's a lot like Zealous, which is an awesome trait to have but horrible on an AI tutor, as a Zealous tutor will always pick the "ask Jesus/Allah/Odin/Zoroaster/whoever to fix everything" option on events.

As for primary parent, I assume it's the father unless he's unavailable or unknown, then it's the mother (reverse if it was a matrilineal marriage). I don't know if the child gains stats at all if both parents are dead or gone.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Autonomous Monster posted:

Those Shi'a uprisings are always summarily crushed, in my experience. :shrug:

They're like fleas nipping at a bear.

It's hardly always. They usually manage to distract him enough to start a rebellion or for you to take a chunk of territory. At the very least it's better than having the Sunni and Shia working together like they are now.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

The Shia Caliph was a one-province Hashimite count in loving Baluchistan. I cleared out his title and let's see the chaos :getin:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

If the Shi'a don't give the Abbasids pause, Seljuk usually does.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
All of this talk about VIET has me wondering: is there a mod of the moment that all of the goons are getting behind? I used to play CK2+ back before Wiz was hired, and soon after my playing kinda trailed off playing until now.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Funky Valentine posted:

If the Shi'a don't give the Abbasids pause, Seljuk usually does.

In my current Charlemagne game, the Abbasids stretch from Morocco to Iran, with the Umayyads taking up all of Iberia. It's 1051 right now and Seljuk never showed up. :ohdear:

I never thought I'd be rooting for the Mongols, but Jesus, someone has got to bring the Muslims to heel before they gobble up Europe too. Luckily, the Byzantines are still doing pretty well, and they're Catholic, which means the rest of Christendom has their backs whenever the Caliph comes a-calling.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
I'm on a break from CK2 but was playing the GoT mod a lot, along with the HIP modpack (I think it includes the VIET events).

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BBJoey posted:

I... do not think so. They integrated someone else's Zoroastrian mod though. I every much enjoyed playing Zoroastrian with VIET before ROI broke it. I don't remember anything that sounds creepy like that, just some nice Zoroastrian-specific things. It was good, solid flavor.

But, as I said, I haven't looked at it since before ROI.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 21, 2014

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
They're talking about the most recent dev diary from the VIET team, so I suppose those changes haven't been released yet.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

All of this talk about VIET has me wondering: is there a mod of the moment that all of the goons are getting behind? I used to play CK2+ back before Wiz was hired, and soon after my playing kinda trailed off playing until now.

After the End. :getin:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Mister Adequate posted:

After the End. :getin:

Right now we're chugging through a lot of work on Mexico. Shadeoses made all the Mexican provinces and it's goddamned amazing. Now it's a matter of finding flags for all the titles and figuring out what exactly to do with it all now that's here.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ofaloaf posted:

Right now we're chugging through a lot of work on Mexico. Shadeoses made all the Mexican provinces and it's goddamned amazing. Now it's a matter of finding flags for all the titles and figuring out what exactly to do with it all now that's here.

The great Nahua Empire shall rise from the ashes and do battle with the eastern islanders and the northern horse Indians while the gringos fling their dung at each other.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

:staredog:

It's times like this that I really appreciate how Europe's geography forms nice, easily defined territories.

I can't wait for the next release. :unsmigghh:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Nahua are in, along with Mixtec, Zapotec, Yucateco, Maya and Miskito filling out the 'native' team. The Nahua, Mixtec and Zapotec looks like they're split between a neo-classical Sol Invicta religion and neo-aztec Mictlantec religion, while the Yucateco and Maya are split between traditional Uahomche Mayan faith and the Neomayans (imagine the kind of people who would flock to the Mayan ruins when the apocalypse really does happen, and imagine the reading material and artifacts they would leave behind). Then the Miskito down in Nicaragua have their own mutant Moravian-animist thing going.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
I'm really having fun in my current game. Started as the Karen and eventually liberated Persia. Suddenly the Seljuk Turks invade. After raising all my vassels I was able to defeat their doomstack and win the war. In prison Seljuk converted to Zoroastrianism and- not wanting to let his amazing martial skills go to waste- I had him marry my daughter and gave him the duchy of Basara. Seljuk's unstoppable in battle.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Is there a way to remove the Papal State from my game without breaking anything? I'm trying to remove them from my Rise of Islam mod and put a Papalic Orthodox heresy in its place. I put all the title history into a "d_papalic" file but the Papal State still sits on Rome, though the Pope is holding the Papalic's title.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Well little did I know that once you create a Kingdom you can't change succession laws (hi Gavelkind) unless Crown Authority is high or absolute :suicide:

Also, how the gently caress does a mechanism like Gavelkind decide to take five of your seven directly-ruled provinces away and split them up among the second and third sons, especially when one of the two already has a county of his own?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Is there a way to remove the Papal State from my game without breaking anything? I'm trying to remove them from my Rise of Islam mod and put a Papalic Orthodox heresy in its place. I put all the title history into a "d_papalic" file but the Papal State still sits on Rome, though the Pope is holding the Papalic's title.

k_pope is hardcoded into processing all the hidden events that keep the game running.

Anyway, I saved my game and clicked the big "adopt Feudalism" button to see what would happen now that I have three provinces with level 4 forts. Half the laws in the law screen aren't filled in. My tribal vassals all have -30 opinion of me because I was at absolute tribal authority law before I changed over. Each still tribal count has a higher levy than my entire realm. :psyboom:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Luigi Thirty posted:

k_pope is hardcoded into processing all the hidden events that keep the game running.

I know that, although I doubt a lot of the events it processes are going to exist in this game. Either way, is there some way to move it out of Rome and somewhere else, say... the Shetland Isles?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Crazy Ted posted:

Well little did I know that once you create a Kingdom you can't change succession laws (hi Gavelkind) unless Crown Authority is high or absolute :suicide:

Also, how the gently caress does a mechanism like Gavelkind decide to take five of your seven directly-ruled provinces away and split them up among the second and third sons, especially when one of the two already has a county of his own?

They vary depending on the succession law. There's one or two that kick in at medium, but the "X gets all the stuff" ones generally take high or absolute. And gavelkind is actually an old celtic word which translates to "gently caress you, that's why."

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Volkerball posted:

They vary depending on the succession law. There's one or two that kick in at medium, but the "X gets all the stuff" ones generally take high or absolute. And gavelkind is actually an old celtic word which translates to "gently caress you, that's why."
Well I guess it's time to restart my Irish TacticsLab/practice game with the Beta patch then.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I know that, although I doubt a lot of the events it processes are going to exist in this game. Either way, is there some way to move it out of Rome and somewhere else, say... the Shetland Isles?

Oh, move it? You can make Shetland a bishopric and give the bishop k_pope. If he's landless he's in limbo and shows up as living in Rome asking rulers to donate a bishopric for him to take over. I don't know how to change where he goes if he's in limbo.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Come to think of it, the lack of the Avignon Papacy is a little odd.

Non Sequitur
Apr 22, 2007
A queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples

Did you try deleting landless = yes in the k_papal entry in landed_titles.txt? That plus making there be no holder at game start should stop it from appearing. You will need to change a bunch of events that ping the pope, though.

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.

StashAugustine posted:

Come to think of it, the lack of the Avignon Papacy is a little odd.

It's kind-of there. During the years that it existed, the Pope has a county in Burgundy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Well, my ruler died at 24 when the only thing between me and the Wendish Empire was a pittance of gold. He didn't even die doing a raid, it was an illness. Now Poland and Lithuania split off from Pomerania, again. Paradox, why do you have to be like this to me? Why won't you let me escape elective gavelkind?

• Locked thread