Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.

double nine posted:

I could have sworn ... I honestly have no idea why, but I really thought you fought him (or maybe someone else?) in the chamber with the 4 test tubes and datapads with your past on it, the one with the projectile door (which is a hilarious trap). I really don't know why it's such a vivid memory.
You fight someone in that room in Invisible War, maybe that's what you're confusing it with? Not sure how you've managed to confuse Simons for Billie though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Dawncloack posted:

Hey, kind of an specific question:

In which lecture did you explain, Bobbin, that we are trapped inside our heads and what art means because of that fact?

Also, could I link that lecture to a blog post of mine?

Thanks.

That would be Lecture 32 on Bakhtin and literary criticism. Feel free to link to it however you like.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Faraday Cage posted:

You fight someone in that room in Invisible War, maybe that's what you're confusing it with? Not sure how you've managed to confuse Simons for Billie though.

Yeah, Billie's much less likable and chummy.

Herr R.
Apr 26, 2008
Just found this thread, woot another Deus Ex Let's Play. Nice work so far.

One thing about lecture 36 (Everett's house) if you want to show it off:
You know the helipad with its open ceiling?
You can't get up there by LAM-climbing because of the way the walls bend inwards towards the ceiling.
However, if you stack enough crap on top of each other (using superstrength) you can actually jump on the roof and leave the house. You are then free to wander the street that you can see from the windows. There is nothing to do there but I found it kind of neat.

Anyway, keep up the good work.

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008

vancho1 posted:

Exactly. A similar thought experiment which kind of intuitively shows you can't communicate is as follows:

Say you have two identical boxes and two balls, one red, one blue. The blue ball is placed in one box, and the red ball is placed in the other. One box is taken to Alpha Centauri, while the other remains on Earth. You open your box, and see that the ball is blue. Therefore, you know the ball on Alpha Centauri must be red. You could encode a message in the sequence of red balls and blue balls, and when you open your sequence of boxes, the other sequence is on Alpha Centauri.

However, let's say you replace the blue ball in your box with a red ball. The ball on Alpha Centauri will still be red. It has no way of changing to be blue. You cannot send any information from Earth to Alpha Centauri faster than what you used to transport the balls. Once they've been separated, the ball's cannot communicate with each other.

There is actually communication technology that is based on this principle and you can even buy it right now!. However, it uses entanglement not for superluminal communication but for having a Mission Impossible-like message system where you can read a message only once. This is then used for encryption key transfers, e.g. inside bank networks. By communicating via entangled particles, sent over glass fiber lines, this system allows to detect whether a line is listened to by a third party as the listener will collapse the entanglement. Therefore, if you receive a message comprised by still entangled particles, you are the first and only receiver.

Also, the range is limited to the 100 kilometers at max (according to link above). That is still impressive for glass fiber but hardly worth FTL communication. Normal glass fiber communication would go much further, but that has signal boost amplifiers at regular intervals, which would collapse entanglement, as they interact with the transmitted particles.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
I have to say that whole symbols thing was right because this poo poo got TOO real for me :stare: I didn't expect a lecture on Atlantis to spiral out into a dissertation on man's development and our necessity for science and magic to exist.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Handouts:

Company Log
Area 51 Map
Jacob's Shadow: Chapter 34
Dreamland Hack
Problem Report

Known misses: There's a second dead body on the cargo containers back by the helipad. There's also a body underneath the main elevator.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 20, 2014

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.
Water is used as a sound dampener for rocket launches, for example in the launch platform for the space shuttle. I don't know if ICBM silos used a similar system, but Ion Storm seemed to be willing to do their research so maybe it's accurate.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
I... I didn't realize you could destroy the fan.

It was a very tricky jump with that still there.

Also, back on the topic of recent levels inspired by other games, is it just me, or does Area 51 feel like a Goldeneye level?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Apparently, JC's poop is augmented :v:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In your lecture, you mention how people's memories are changable over time and subject to subjectivity. I'm not denying the latter, but there have been cases - I'm specifically thinking of Solomon Shereshevsky - of people who aren't just able to remember things perfectly, but are unable to forget due to abnormalities in the functioning of the brain - apparently, Shereshevsky considered being able to forget something absolutely wonderful;

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
There actually is one more thing you can do with those stacked storage crates on the surface of Area 51, with the slanted one you can run up. Over on the other side of the crates is a dead body--a soldier, if I remember right--with an item or two on him. You have to pull some boxes over to get to him, and I don't remember if it's really worth it or not, but it's there nonetheless.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Samovar posted:

In your lecture, you mention how people's memories are changable over time and subject to subjectivity. I'm not denying the latter, but there have been cases - I'm specifically thinking of Solomon Shereshevsky - of people who aren't just able to remember things perfectly, but are unable to forget due to abnormalities in the functioning of the brain - apparently, Shereshevsky considered being able to forget something absolutely wonderful;

It seems to me you're agreeing with the first part as well, since a normally functioning brain should be able to forget things and recall them differently. Not only that, but Shereshevsky's brain "cheats" by recording using every sense simultaneously.

Let me give you another example. Throughout my entire life, my oldest memory has always been about the same thing. I am four years old and lying face-down on the staircase in my parents' old house. I then climb to my feet, walk over to the sofa, step onto the cushions, and then look behind it: in the space between the sofa and the wall I see a large box of diapers. But there's a problem: my parents never stored diapers behind the sofa, and even if they had I am the youngest child and so at four they would have gotten rid of all their diapers by then. So in other words, despite how no one has ever told me about that pointless fragment of an action, my earliest memory is a lie.

Nevertheless, it is still my earliest memory.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
The silo's always seemed weirdly tacked on to me. Is Howard Strong mentioned at all outside it?

Other things:

That first keypad is easily brute-forcible as it's only 2 digits and the code is 12 if I remember right.

Killing Howard Strong finishes the level no matter what else you do, so you can skip most of the level by abusing the LAW's collision detection. The LAW missile itself spawns in some way in front of you, so you can use it to shoot through thin walls, or the silo roof. I've never managed to pull it off as the angle's tight and you obviously can't see where you're shooting. The Shifter Mod gives you a unique railgun weapon that can shoot through things and has a thermal scope, allowing you to do the same thing.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Samovar posted:

There were many instances, most of them early in Shereshevsky's career as a mnemonist, where he would memorize information incorrectly or fail to memorize individual items in a long list. Years later, he could perfectly recall all the things he had memorized, but his recollections contained the same flaws and omissions as when he first formed those memories. His memory was as subjective as yours and mine; it's just that he made mistakes faster and held onto them longer.

(Here is an amateur English translation of Alexander Luria's short book about Shereshevsky. It's also available in the original language.)

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
The keycode for the aug update could be 9378. You cannot find it in game though.
Also Bob Page's encouragement is great. :allears: You can easily miss Bob Page's codec at the end, because the loading zone is in the middle of the room. I am looking forward to Area 51. Great atmosphere and music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uttVMkGtPpQ

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Since we're getting to the end of the game, this is as good a place as any for a question I've been struggling with: could Deus Ex be made today? Ignoring gameplay mechanics for a second, Deus Ex' conspiracy theories are overall very dated, and moreover our culture seems to have moved away from fantastical urban legends (greys, ufos, urban monsters, illuminati) and more towards exaggerating existing trends ie terrorist plots.

In addition, government response in Europe and the USA after 9/11 has very much normalized cultural sensitivities towards the security state, in addition to cctv cameras' ubiquitous presence in commercial districts and most buildings with a public nature. It's a shame, though, because Deus Ex' whole "kitchen sink" approach to conspiracy theory/worldbuilding has created a somehow coherent and fascinating place, and I feel that today's culture just doesn't have the same fertile ground for this kind of "grab all modern urban myths, mix them, add milk, 2 eggs and keep in a preheated oven for 15 minutes and presto, insane yet plausible world".

Has modern western culture become too cynical and boring for these fantasies?

double nine fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 20, 2014

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

double nine posted:

Since we're getting to the end of the game, this is as good a place as any for a question I've been struggling with: could Deus Ex be made today? Ignoring gameplay mechanics for a second, Deus Ex' conspiracy theories are overall very dated, and moreover our culture seems to have moved away from fantastical urban legends (greys, ufos, urban monsters, illuminati) and more towards exaggerating existing trends ie terrorist plots.

In addition, government response in Europe and the USA after 9/11 has very much normalized cultural sensitivities towards the security state, in addition to cctv cameras' ubiquitous presence in commercial districts and most buildings with a public nature.

I thought DX:HR did a pretty plausible job of updating the DX world using today's sensibilities. PMC's run rampant, supernational corporations, the seeds of technology running away from us. Playing that and then playing the original, HR feels more "realistic" (even discounting the graphical disparity).

Ah, didn't catch your edit. It might not be as totally expansive as DX, but I think that was more for avoiding retreading the same ground as DX, not from a lack of writing ability. Really, the think I miss most from DX (and Thief) in recent games is the ginormous levels to really feel like you're in a world and not a closet.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 20, 2014

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Prenton posted:

The silo's always seemed weirdly tacked on to me. Is Howard Strong mentioned at all outside it?

No he's not. Strong's a very weird character, both gameplay wise and story wise. You'd probably never even know who he is unless you took the time to talk to that scientist. And yet there's like a million ways you can go about killing him because iirc he never ever moves from that spot. Snipe him, toss a lam at him, shoot a rocket at him, goomba stomp him.

It's also worth mentioning that Strong is, to the best of my knowledge, one of only...two? characters you HAVE to kill/knock out in order to progress because Jock wont spawn at all until you do. It's a little frustrating if you're going for a pacifist run because it means agroing him (if you use a prod, or hit him with a tranq dart out in the open) and he likes to toss lams in-between firing his plasma gun. Even with regen on those things loving hurt.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 21, 2014

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Plankalkuel posted:

There is actually communication technology that is based on this principle and you can even buy it right now!. However, it uses entanglement not for superluminal communication but for having a Mission Impossible-like message system where you can read a message only once. This is then used for encryption key transfers, e.g. inside bank networks. By communicating via entangled particles, sent over glass fiber lines, this system allows to detect whether a line is listened to by a third party as the listener will collapse the entanglement. Therefore, if you receive a message comprised by still entangled particles, you are the first and only receiver.

Also, the range is limited to the 100 kilometers at max (according to link above). That is still impressive for glass fiber but hardly worth FTL communication. Normal glass fiber communication would go much further, but that has signal boost amplifiers at regular intervals, which would collapse entanglement, as they interact with the transmitted particles.

I'm far from an expert in quantum mechanics, but I have a hard time believing that a commercially available piece of equipment could do QKD today.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 21, 2014

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

No he's not. Strong's a very weird character, both gameplay wise and story wise. You'd probably never even know who he is unless you took the time to talk to that scientist. And yet there's like a million ways you can go about killing him because iirc he never ever moves from that spot. Snipe him, toss a lam at him, shoot a rocket at him, goomba stomp him.

It's also worth mentioning that Strong is, to the best of my knowledge, one of only...two? characters you HAVE to kill/knock out in order to progress because Jock wont spawn at all until you do. It's a little frustrating if you're going for a pacifist run because it means agroing him (if you use a prod, or hit him with a tranq dart out in the open) and he likes to toss lams in-between firing his plasma gun. Even with regen on those things loving hurt.

Pacifist runs are made even more difficult by the fact the Strong loves to throw LAMs at himself.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

There's stuff floating around about how Strong was supposed to be more of a character instead of just a puzzle boss, but they ran out of time.

But here's the best way to kill him. Bobbin's right, you can snipe him from the 5th floor, but ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwtN-iATzCs

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

one of only...two? characters you HAVE to kill/knock out in order to progress
Just curious, who is the other one (if we encountered them already)?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Just curious, who is the other one (if we encountered them already)?

Anna Navarre.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

J.theYellow posted:

There's stuff floating around about how Strong was supposed to be more of a character instead of just a puzzle boss, but they ran out of time.

But here's the best way to kill him. Bobbin's right, you can snipe him from the 5th floor, but ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwtN-iATzCs

And then there's the speedrun tactic, which involves firing a LAW (since LAW projectiles originate in front of Denton's model) through the hatch at the top of the level and down into Strong without ever descending into the level proper.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

berryjon posted:

Anna Navarre.
Oh yeah, i thought there was a way to glitch past her but then i remembered that Bobbin cheated to get that crate.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, that spy drone is a lot smaller than I thought it was. It pretty much vanished from your screen and it wasn't even close to the tunnel intersection.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
You can tranquilize Strong. You MUST kill Anna Navarre with the killphrase or otherwise. You can just run away from Gunther.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

OAquinas posted:

Apparently, JC's poop is augmented :v:
I'm imagining "Nano-aug Poop" as a Cards Against Humanity card, now.

Herr R.
Apr 26, 2008

AstroWhale posted:

You can tranquilize Strong. You MUST kill Anna Navarre with the killphrase or otherwise. You can just run away from Gunther.

It is possible to avoid killing Anna, too. If you get her into panic mode and corner her near the exit door she may open it for you. Once you leave the game registers her as killed, though.

Marker17501
Jul 8, 2013
Where does the spy drone come from anyway? Does JC poop it as well?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Herr R. posted:

It is possible to avoid killing Anna, too. If you get her into panic mode and corner her near the exit door she may open it for you. Once you leave the game registers her as killed, though.

You can also use a grenade to clip through the door, which is what this speedrun does. However, the game still assumes that you killed Anna.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

I've always found thet the easiest way to deal with Strong on a pacifist run is to take the elevator from the bottom to the fourth floor, chuck a gas grenade at him when you pass the floor that Strong's on and then tranq him from above.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Xander77 posted:

Jump! You can make it!

Arguably the best line in the whole game, and Bobbin barely reacted to it. :gerty:

GauRocks
Jun 2, 2008

Slimnoid posted:

There actually is one more thing you can do with those stacked storage crates on the surface of Area 51, with the slanted one you can run up. Over on the other side of the crates is a dead body--a soldier, if I remember right--with an item or two on him. You have to pull some boxes over to get to him, and I don't remember if it's really worth it or not, but it's there nonetheless.

That soldier up on the storage crates has a weapon mod that I didn't need any more of. I want to say it was accuracy. There's a quick glimpse of him at 28:34 or so in the video in case anyone was wondering where to look.

Strong does have a couple of lines, but they basically only trigger if you get his attention and then run off and hide. It's mostly pretty generic, but there's one where he threatens to change the missile target back to X-51. I couldn't get him to say that one in the actual game, but I did get him to say most of his other lines. At least he isn't totally mute.

And those easily-sniped guards playing poker in the big building at the missile base (around 1:43 in the video) have a couple of lines of scripted conversation if you sneak up on them. I found it by walking backwards from inside the main base and getting the drop on them from the second floor, but I'm pretty sure you can get it from downstairs too.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
I've nothing to say at this juncture, except to say that I LOVE the music at Area 51; it's this great quick-tempo, minor tune that, when married to the visual of a bombed army site, really sells the image that, yes, poo poo has hit the fan, everything's gone to hell, and we are building to the final confrontation toot sweet. This tune and the background music for the next area are good at that.

JC himself is really good here too, and his performance at the tail end of the game is where his VA pulls out the big guns here. His entire last conversation with Simons (as well as that line later) are part of the reason I (and a lot of other people) love this game.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
I...I had no idea you could meet Walton Simons here :stare: oh my god that's a loving epic dialogue right there before the asskicking cometh.

resurgam40 posted:

I've nothing to say at this juncture, except to say that I LOVE the music at Area 51; it's this great quick-tempo, minor tune that, when married to the visual of a bombed army site, really sells the image that, yes, poo poo has hit the fan, everything's gone to hell, and we are building to the final confrontation toot sweet. This tune and the background music for the next area are good at that.

JC himself is really good here too, and his performance at the tail end of the game is where his VA pulls out the big guns here. His entire last conversation with Simons (as well as that line later) are part of the reason I (and a lot of other people) love this game.
I agree, it is very "final area" kind of music and they clearly built it up to be this. Imagine, what's the final area of this game that is entirely about conspiracy theories and hearsay come to life?
Area loving 51, the very nanoangstrom of all modern conspiracy theories all dwindling back towards this strange mysterious government facility.

JC's voice actor does a pretty great job of being both unemotional yet also very invested in his actions and what he's doing. Like you can tell this is someone who can't SHOW emotion as we heard long back at the beginning of the game, but that doesn't mean he's incapable of it as his voice starts getting more and more serious and determined throughout the course of this game.

Also why was the satellite dish at the launch base marked UN-001? :tinfoil:

Thank you very VERY much by the way for straightening out a hell of a lot of facts about Area 51. There's a lot of weird poo poo that gets muddled all over the place so...that also goes along with memories. Memory can be very strange, and there is actual evidence proving there is absolutely no way for a person to tell the difference between a false memory, and a real memory psychologically. Unless you have evidence that refutes it from another source.

Blocked memories are an entire different feature which are...I'm not sure how they happen in the sense that they DO exist but for the sake of your sanity, your mind keeps it hiding away.
For example, I know absolutely nothing about what happened to the year 1997, my entire memory of that year is completely blocked off in my mind due to a rather traumatic memory of my life.

My parents have told me things that happened, things I barely see images and sounds of faintly, but nothing coherent. But they all back it up, and four people related to me telling me it happened, is the only proof that it did happen as well as mitigating bits and pieces of local newspapers involving what my family went through.
This is one of the reasons that I believe people cannot live alone. We need someone to help us figure out the right and wrong as our prosecutor of sorts.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 21, 2014

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Marker17501 posted:

Where does the spy drone come from anyway? Does JC poop it as well?
It comes out of his head. The perspective with that thing is always weird, like the physical object is ahead of the actual object.

I wondered if those black vans serve the same purpose as those Chinese Party vans that take entire families away for harmonizing?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

So I've run into a bit of a conundrum. See, I just recorded all the footage of Area 51 short of the endings themselves (which will get their own video after this), and in total I spent nearly an hour in the facility. Now ordinarily I would simply cut the video in half and stretch the footage across the next two weeks, but I've got something special planned for the penultimate video and the previous two corners have kind of been building up to it (and of course the penultimate video will build into the final video). It wouldn't be much trouble for me to bullshit together an extra topic for an extra corner, but it would...break the flow, let's say.

Since I'm being indecisive, I've decided to poll the audience. What would you folks like? One feature-length video (counting an especially long corner lecture)? Two videos half the size, presented simultaneously, and with one corner between them? Or two regular-length videos, one of which kind of wanders off on a tangent?

To make things easy, I've hacked together an online poll for you to use. Feel free to explain yourself or argue your opinion in the thread, however. I'll leave this up for a day or two because after that I've got to get cracking on production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
I'm leaning more towards "two videos, one corner", personally. It's not that difficult to watch two videos consecutively (hell, Youtube even has playlists for that very reason), and it's more convenient for people who, for whatever reason, are unable or unwilling to watch a single hour-long video.

Not that I'll be complaining no matter how it turns out, mind you. It's been both educational and a blast following along with this.

• Locked thread