Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

My Imaginary GF posted:

Absurd Alhazrad doesn't like hummus or pita. In fact, he prefers greek yogurt.

THAT IS A LIE AND A FABRICATION! I loving love hummus and the only reason I didn't eat at Abu Hassan in Jaffa when I visited Israel this time is because it was closed for 3id al-ad7a. :smithicide:

I also like greek yogurt though. Both for granola and as a dip for wings and chicken tenders. :getin:

ETA: Wait a minute, no, I like Swiss yogurt, it's more liquid and therefore more useful for my purposes.

If you want something really embarrassing, I actually liked The Fountainhead when I first read it, but it just didn't make Objectivism very appealing. Rereading it later the legitimate rape was hosed up, though. :stare:

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So I know this is gonna depress me but has there been any coverage about that retarded pumpkin riot as anything but a 'oh those wacky kids' thing because I know for a fact if it was a bunch of black kids burning a car over pumpkins we'd have fuckin politicians demanding an end to the thug culture or whatever.

There was this, if that helps.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

ReindeerF posted:

If you figure it out, let Twitter know, because they need some help.
Here for the temples!
That is one of the character arcs that I was referring to when I said they went off the rails with some of the characters. Leo was always a hawk, but the poo poo they pulled with him in the peace talks was wa-h-h-h-aaaayyyy over the line. What happens with Toby eventually is the second biggest :wtc: move they made with a character. I also thought the way they had idealist Will from the California 47th's dead candidate campaign pitching in his lot with Bingo Bob was pretty :rolleyes: too.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and promoting a Press Secretary to Chief of Staff. Right.

I didn't know they had temples in Montana.

But yeah Will's character was a incredibly wasted opportunity and none of the poo poo they had him do made any sense especially in light of his introduction. You really get the impression that Leo hated the hell out of Muslims by the end of the show.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Joementum posted:

No but really, all of Scandinavia, Belgium, the Netherlands, Spain, and the UK. Spain I sort of get, given what it replaced, but it's still silly to have vestigial monarchies in TYOOL 2014.

talking to people about the monarchy back when i lived in the uk so many people were irrationally paranoid about the fact that last time there was no monarch they had cromwell, and for some reason that means any time there's no monarch the country will be run by a proto-fascist fucker like cromwell, despite the few centuries that had happened in between? like that wasn't even a few people as a joke it was an alarmingly common justification for not wanting a republic

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

talking to people about the monarchy back when i lived in the uk so many people were irrationally paranoid about the fact that last time there was no monarch they had cromwell, and for some reason that means any time there's no monarch the country will be run by a proto-fascist fucker like cromwell, despite the few centuries that had happened in between? like that wasn't even a few people as a joke it was an alarmingly common justification for not wanting a republic

lots of people say stuff like "would you prefer the queen or president blair?!?!" but it's like they think if they don't have a queen they immediately become a strong presidential republic instead of like germany or something

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
TELL ME HOW THIS ENDS LEO!!!

*deploys 18,000 Americans to Palestine*

this loving arc

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

paragon1 posted:

I didn't know they had temples in Montana.

But yeah Will's character was a incredibly wasted opportunity and none of the poo poo they had him do made any sense especially in light of his introduction. You really get the impression that Leo hated the hell out of Muslims by the end of the show.

Will's character kind of makes sense when he talks about how the Bartlet people must have seen something in Bingo Bob to pick him and then you extrapolate that the quality Will believes they must have seen would be proportional to what a useless poo poo he appeared to be on the surface.

On the other hand, "the Congressman from Western Colorado - the mining company." is one of my favorite Toby insults along with "Me? I'm from the United States of Suck My [convenient interruption]."

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
2008 was the first eleciton i was eligible to vote in and i had to streak around campus because i lost a bet about the percentage of obama votes in texas. i am, additionally, a white noise poo poo poster and am listening to ride the lightning at this current moment in time :rock:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Superb album. Back when I didn't hate ANY members of Metallica!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I don't follow MRA poo poo or this story at all, but I recall hearing about the guy because his name stuck in my mind:

http://gawker.com/war-machine-quotes-nietzsche-blames-christy-mack-in-su-1648539304

That letter is some Elliot Rodgers level poo poo, but my favorite part is this:

quote:

I know that I had many flaws and that I wasn't the best BF at times.
"Such as the time that I beat you within an inch of your life and permanently disfigured you, that would be one time when I wasn't the best BF."

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

visceril posted:

I heard that everyone ITT lives in Florida and wrote in Bartlett in 2000

Also CoolCab voted for David Cameron to put Labour on the right path

we have to do SOMETHING about all these loving immigrants

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

CoolCab posted:

we have to do SOMETHING about all these loving immigrants
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCZ_lkcWLMk

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

oh man is your ridiculous racist propaganda out of date, come listen to what ukip are trying to get on the charts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqs9OSbWluQ

(it's seriously not parody. yes, seriously. yes. seriously.)

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Okay I just started watching Alpha House and good god when is an episode going to be titled Small Penis Rule?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

CoolCab posted:

(it's seriously not parody. yes, seriously. yes. seriously.)
Wow.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

"Time to skewer them with my wit...I know! A faux Jamaican accent! Perfect!" - a white person

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

ReindeerF posted:

I don't follow MRA poo poo or this story at all, but I recall hearing about the guy because his name stuck in my mind:

http://gawker.com/war-machine-quotes-nietzsche-blames-christy-mack-in-su-1648539304

That letter is some Elliot Rodgers level poo poo, but my favorite part is this:
"Such as the time that I beat you within an inch of your life and permanently disfigured you, that would be one time when I wasn't the best BF."

I think it was covered earlier ITT but Mark Lepine is worse than Eliot Rogers and I believe his mysoginist rampage is one of the worst if not the worst mass shooting in Canadian history.

It was hella hosed up the university refused to issue extra security and check for guns (seriously there must be a provision about iminent danger that trumps conceal-carry). If I was a student I'd be disturbed by how little my admins cared for my safety--that a political headache that would ensue from checking guns > dead students

Edit: Apple get your poo poo together your autocorrect blows now

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Well now I know who Marc Lepine is.

quote:

Another letter, written to a friend, promised the explanation to the massacre lay by following clues left in Lépine's apartment. The hunt led only to a suitcase of computer games and hardware.
It's like nerd se7en. They missed it right in front of their faces.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Good news, Democrats: Massachusetts could go blue this year.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
David Corn (who broke the 47% story for Mojo) wrote a story about how James O'Keefe tweeted a picture of himself "undercover" in a mustache trying to bait Denver Dems into voter fraud and now I think they're going to have a feud

https://twitter.com/JamesOKeefeIII/status/524351778247430144

I really hope they feud. If I can't be represented by my elected officials, I will at least be entertained by the process.

Full Mojo Article.
http://m.motherjones.com/politics/2014/10/colorado-dems-james-okeefe

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
James O'Keefe taking a break from posting as Amergin I see.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
You'd think they could bring up charges on that sort of thing.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Reading the paper.

"Pentagon to train Ebola Support Team"

Oh great. Oh it they plan to deploy it in the US. Super. Is there anything the military doesnt do?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Am I the only one here that reads their local newspaper. The paper one.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

euphronius posted:

I read my local newspaper every morning, but mine is a newspaper of record, so it's not super folksy or anything.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The new york times?? ughhh. I hope Murdoch buys it and puts it out of its misery.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

euphronius posted:

Reading the paper.

Oh great. Oh it they plan to deploy it in the US. Super. Is there anything the military doesnt do?
I guess they'll have to clear out all the dead patriots' bodies from the FEMA trailers to make room for our dead heroes. Fuckin' Obola.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

euphronius posted:

I live in a small, heavily Amish town in Pennsylvania, and our newspaper is about as exciting as you'd imagine. I read mine pretty much exclusively to see what bullshit new words for "mutt" get used in the puppy section of the classifieds. The record, so far, is multiple hundreds of dollars per puppy for Cockapuggapoos.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

euphronius posted:

The new york times?? ughhh. I hope Murdoch buys it and puts it out of its misery.

i used to have a subscription to the local and the times but i mean lets face it i don't need to read ap wires a day after it hits the grey lady

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

euphronius posted:

Reading the paper.

Laying down covering fire for a virus that kills via hemorrhaging, dehydration, and torrents of poo poo seems unnecessary. So yeah good military operation.

USA USA USA!

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
plus i started buying papers in my late teens to do the crossword and started reading them after i was done so that's probably how i wound up here

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

euphronius posted:

I read mine, but not the actual paper version because it's 2014 and I'm not a geezer.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
a newspaper is also a great prop if you want to be left the gently caress alone

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

mooyashi posted:

a newspaper is also a great prop if you want to be left the gently caress alone
In modern times this is what in-ear earphones are for and they loving work, believe me!

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
also good, rounded out with sunglasses. please give me my coffee or booze and let me sit in peace.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
They make good fly swatters. Newspapers not ear buds. Though I suppose ear buds could count as a fly flail of sorts.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

euphronius posted:

Actually it's the LA Times. We're important too! :saddowns:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

DemeaninDemon posted:

They make good fly swatters. Newspapers not ear buds. Though I suppose ear buds could count as a fly flail of sorts.

The secret to killing flies is to clap your hands about 6 inches above where they've landed. unfortunately you tend to get smashed fly on your hands

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

mooyashi posted:

also good, rounded out with sunglasses. please give me my coffee or booze and let me sit in peace.
I live in the most visited city in the world where it's like a full-time profession to bother people who look foreign and you need three things:

1) A blank smile

2) A mastery of the expat stare (ability to keep an eye on everything without ever making eye contact with anyone around you)

3) In-ear earphones

Sunglasses are a bonus, yeah, though if you have sunglasses on people can't be sure you're actively not looking at them. Those three things will get you past anything short of law enforcement, heh.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Huh, who'dve thought goons would have good advice on avoiding social interactions.

Color me surprised

[size="x-small"]i ignore the gently caress out of people on the train[/size]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CoolCab posted:

"Time to skewer them with my wit...I know! A faux Jamaican accent! Perfect!" - a white person

What is it with white, right-wing, Commonwealth knobs thinking that that's cricket?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZoLhyQcB4Q

ETA:

visceril posted:

Huh, who'dve thought goons would have good advice on avoiding social interactions.

Color me surprised

[size="x-small"]i ignore the gently caress out of people on the train[/size]

I actually like talking to random people on the bus, or the train, or even the laundromat, once in a while. :shobon:

But I am usually reading something if it's more than a 10-minute journey.

• Locked thread