Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Vriess posted:

Bueller?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
The first thing I read authored by Ben Stein was an editorial in Penthouse about how raising his son was so much rewarding than sitting up in an emergency room with one of his mistresses. I remember this as as pivotal moment of my development, growth, and insight as an individual; I'm a dense motherfucker who can't understand what the word pretext means.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I'm trying to decide whether I should take a long vacation (South America for 3 months) or get another semester of transfer credits. I'm going to school at my local community college, and I'm already admitted to university for fall 2015. I don't know if I want to waste a term of gi bill bennies on the local city college when I could use them at the big-boy school for double-majoring or something like that. I'm admitted as a Geology major, but I'm kind of considering changing my major to Civil Engineering. I've never taken calculus, and I'm terrified, but I'm doing well in Pre-Calc right now. I got enough classes done when I was active duty that I don't think I'll have to take any lower-level electives, but I've never taken a real math until I just did Trig and now Pre-Calc. I've still never done a college science course. I'm thinking it might be advantageous to do Calc I and Chem and nothing else next term here at my local community college where I'll probably get a smaller class size, etc. I wouldn't need to dip into my bennies, CA community colleges are stupid cheap, and my disability retirement should cover my living expenses.

On the other hand, this might be the last time I get a free period of 6 months or so to just do what the gently caress ever. After this next summer, I have to do schools and internships/field work for years, and then start working again. I just got out after ten years, and I was stationed overseas for two duty stations, and I always used what rare leave time I got the opportunity for in 8 years of sea duty to travel instead of going home to visit family like most people. Been to like 30- 40- some countries on every other continent, but never been anywhere in South America. Plus, I think it would really improve my Spanish, and being able to speak foreign languages is dope. If I time it out right, I can start three months that starts right at the end of good season for Patagonia, and end the three months with the beginning of the good season for Inca country poo poo. I don't think it would be too expensive if I used buses and hostels and brought my own hiking poo poo for Patagonia and the Andes instead of renting it in the gringo trail towns. I've got enough saved up to cover an emergency fund and probably start the bankroll for this trip. Being in the military for 10 years was kind of a drag, and a nice, long vacation would be really nice. I mean, smoking dope and doing math homework every day like I'm doing now feels like a vacation compared to the ship or Afghanistan though lol how are college students so bad at this

what should I do?

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Have an adventure.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
South/Central America is a loving blast. I'd say it's probably advisable to take any foundational courses relating to your major at the institution you will be graduating from. Calc is not difficult provided you show up and do the work and pay attention in class. some of the poo poo can get kind of tricky but its really just alot of pattern recognition and poo poo. If you're already in and it won't cripple you financially I'd rock out with my cock out. One place I found to be pretty great was Boca Del Toro in Panama. It's a super grimy resort town for Europeans. While the majority of the town is pretty covered in third world poverty there are still a few pristine beaches that are effectively empty. Wizards beach on Bastamentos being a prime example of this. It was stupid cheap, the blow was great and some of the beaches are amazing. There is also supposedly a pretty good club/bar scene there but I went with my ol'lady so I didn't get to check it out.

Edit: Just make sure to research the cities you hit up well. Seems to me like many of the population centers down there are shitholes that are best avoided, but I never went south of Peru

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 20, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Spent quite a bit of time in South America let me know if you have questions. If you're single and want to party you'll have a blast. If not it's still chill

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Christoff posted:

Spent quite a bit of time in South America let me know if you have questions. If you're single and want to party you'll have a blast. If not it's still chill

Well, I really want to see Torres del Paine National Park in Chile, the Salar de Uyuni in Bolivia, and Macchu Picchu. I'm not exactly sure what the cheapest way to fly in and out would be, and I'm wondering if I've got enough time to visit Buenos Aires and Montevideo either before or after. Torres del Paine is realllllyy far South, so I'm thinking I might end up doing some other, less remote part of Patagonia. I'll have to look at what the bus travel times and flight prices are between these places. Specifically do you know anything about any of those places? Valparaiso, Chile, maybe? What kind of traveling did you do?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

PM me your rough dates, budget, what you're into, etc. I'll help you make a good itinerary. I didn't venture to too many countries but I met a lot of people that did and heard about their experiences good or bad. Just know you need a visa for Brazil and Bolivia I believe (only 2 countries that you need one for) and for Brazil at least it's kind of a pain in the rear end. It's not that you won't get approved it's just you have to allot the time to do it before you leave and it costs quite a bit of cash, of course. And requires 2 trips to your nearest consulate. There's expediting services but I don't know anything about those.

I spent almost 2 months in Brazil. I already speak some passable Portuguese since I had studied it a month in a language school in Portugal. 1 month in Rio in Copacabana in an apartment with a British dude. Pure debauchery. Trained jiu jitsu and volunteered in a favela. Cruised to another place in Brazil called Florinapolis (tropical getaway type place) and then to Iguazu Falls (on the Argentinian side) then to Buenos Aires, ferry ride to Colonia Uruguay, flew into São Paulo, and then back to Rio.

The biggest trend I heard was how amazing Colombia was and how it's sort of a hidden gem still because white people are still terrified of the place and have seen too many drug lord movies. Apparently it's quite safe. Brazil has some of the most dangerous cities in South America and the world

Macchu Picchu is highly commercialized these days and I think they were building or built a loving tram/train to the top. I know before you had to book the trek months in advance. Still a cool thing to see, so I heard.

Uruguay is pretty awesome and I wish I had more time to venture the country. Highly underrated and overlooked place in my opinion. Fairly cheap, too. Brazil is expensive as gently caress and probably even more so after the world cups and upcoming Olympics

If you're considering Western Europe then I can help you there too.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 20, 2014

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Wooter if you don't go on a hiatus I will straight kick you in the nuts if we ever meet.

It'd just be wrong not to, and you'd pass up a time to go rock hounding on another continent, the gently caress is wrong with you. Geology is a fun major btw. I'm an idiot savant with maps (the anti-LT). And gently caress apparent dip forever.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

go to south america

look at butts and rocks

get drunk and happy

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

don't stay in brazil long

it's a lovely country with lovely people

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

It's p. big though

But again, yeah, quite expensive by South American standards.

Also I can finally officially post this

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 21, 2014

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

this is beautiful and should be in the op every month

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

There's no less than like 20 pairs of boots strung up on power lines throughout base

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

DownByTheWooter posted:

Well, I really want to see Torres del Paine National Park in Chile, the Salar de Uyuni in Bolivia, and Macchu Picchu. I'm not exactly sure what the cheapest way to fly in and out would be, and I'm wondering if I've got enough time to visit Buenos Aires and Montevideo either before or after. Torres del Paine is realllllyy far South, so I'm thinking I might end up doing some other, less remote part of Patagonia. I'll have to look at what the bus travel times and flight prices are between these places. Specifically do you know anything about any of those places? Valparaiso, Chile, maybe? What kind of traveling did you do?

When I was in Brazil (Foreign Service) I took trips to Macchu Picchu as well as a three week trip to Chile - several days in Santiago, several days in Atacama, several days in Punta Arenas, several days in Torres del Paine and about a week in the Lake District followed off with a ferry/bus trip through the Andes through an incredibly scenic border crossing to Bariloche. I also was TDY to Montevideo for a week.

If you want to see Patagonia, go to Torres del Paine (or the equivalent on the Argentine side). I'd be more than happy to answer anything via PMs.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Christoff posted:

There's no less than like 20 pairs of boots strung up on power lines throughout base

my fav was the pair of coraframs some hard charger spray painted bright red before he tossed em up

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
when my dad was in i used to see boots thrown up on all sorts of power lines when i was young, but i only saw it a couple of times when i was actually in.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
I can't say much about South America, but I'm finishing my civil engineering degree up this semester. I'd say go for it, it'll give you far more career opportunities than just geology. Don't stress out too much over the calculus. Even if your professor is a terrible teacher, there are plenty of resources online that make the subject easy. Places like Kahn Academy have tutorial videos that are excellent for all types of math from pre-algebra through differential equations and more.

Civil engineering is probably one of the least math-intensive engineering majors. I don't think I've used calculus in any CE classes. poo poo, I haven't had to do much beyond algebra and trig in a while.

I know there's someone else here who recently graduated with a CE degree. SquirrelyPSU, I think?

Either way, go for it.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

pkells posted:

I can't say much about South America, but I'm finishing my civil engineering degree up this semester. I'd say go for it, it'll give you far more career opportunities than just geology. Don't stress out too much over the calculus. Even if your professor is a terrible teacher, there are plenty of resources online that make the subject easy. Places like Kahn Academy have tutorial videos that are excellent for all types of math from pre-algebra through differential equations and more.

Civil engineering is probably one of the least math-intensive engineering majors. I don't think I've used calculus in any CE classes. poo poo, I haven't had to do much beyond algebra and trig in a while.

I know there's someone else here who recently graduated with a CE degree. SquirrelyPSU, I think?

Either way, go for it.

Yup, that's correct. It can be fairly math intensive, more so if you get into any kind of structural or geotechnical engineering tracks of the profession. Its a very large field and theres a lot of opportunity for people to kind of figure out what they want to do within reason.

That said, the major isn't a cakewalk, just challenging in different ways from a purely analytical engineering education.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

SquirrelyPSU posted:

That said, the major isn't a cakewalk, just challenging in different ways from a purely analytical engineering education.

No kidding.

[ASK] me about taking 5 CE classes and a senior capstone design class this semester.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

pkells posted:

No kidding.

[ASK] me about taking 5 CE classes and a senior capstone design class this semester.

I took both the Structural and Transportation design capstones in the Spring. I think I had one weekend that wasn't working.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I tossed my boots when I ETS'd from Korea.

I found out that 1SG was loving pissed. lol

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

Go to South America you idiot. If this was a decade ago I'd have said calculus is hard and unless your high school math was pre-calc to be worried, but now that I'm years out of college I can safely and without exaggeration say that the free videos on Khan Academy are better than any math class I ever had.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

God drat. I wish I had thought to do a fun thing like this.

My first day out was a Monday. 2 pm.

I wanted to smoke a weed. I was determined. I called up all my friends and people I knew living in Utah. I am a square so none of them even knew someone who smoked up. So I decided to bootstrap my way to find a dealer. I thought the college bar would have somebody. Turns out nobody goes to a college bar in Utah at 2:30 pm on a Wednesday. gently caress.

So it was 4pm. Where could I find somebody with drugs... THE TITTY BAR! So if anyone was stationed at Hill AFB and remembers Club Wet... That's where I went... On a Monday... At 4:00 pm.

God drat that was the saddest place to be on earth. Met a cool bartender chick who used to be in my same AMXS. But nobody had anything softer than math in that place. Turns out you gotta be in some tough times to strip in the worst strip club in the state on a Monday afternoon. I will always remember one of the strippers sitting at the bar looking at her phone and saying "Oh my god, Robin Williams just died."

So that was a bust. I went for broke and decided to go to Pioneer Park in SLC. It was 9pm. I left my wallet and cell phone in my car. With 40$ in my pocket I walked the streets using a lit cigarette as a homeless person bird call. A 'kinda put together' woman approached me to bum one. I explained my situation and while she wasn't holding, she did help me find some.

With my urban sherpa I was wandering the streets of SLC to look for a weed man. Trying to make small talk I asked her what her situation was. She responded "Well man daughter broke out ta rehab,. Haven't seen her in 4 years. I do know that shes as a super 8 with her boyfriend Tyrone. Imma try to find her." I just responded "oh, that sucks" and left the small talk alone. We find one of the eight black folks in the state and he sold me a joint. 20 bux, well above market price but I didn't give a gently caress. I was a cop looking motherfucker rolling with a methed out homeless woman and I just wanted a weed.

I got home and as I thought about my day. What was probably the most depressing quest I've ever embarked on, I thought to myself "This is the day I got out and this is the happiest I've been in a long while."

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
That's pretty magical if you ask me

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
You loving idiot. I live like 10 minutes from Club Wet and could've saved you a ton of time...Pioneer Park is the first place I'd go if I were looking for any kind of drugs. There's only one strip club in this state that isn't utter poo poo, and it's still lame by military standards. Club Wet gets a lot of police attention...honestly you probably don't want to prowl the Ogden area for poo poo except maybe around WSU (good luck, half the students are 40+). You're more likely to get stabbed than hooked up.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 21, 2014

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Godholio posted:

You loving idiot. I live like 10 minutes from Club Wet and could've saved you a ton of time...Pioneer Park is the first place I'd go if I were looking for any kind of drugs. There's only one strip club in this state that isn't utter poo poo, and it's still lame by military standards. Club Wet gets a lot of police attention...honestly you probably don't want to prowl the Ogden area for poo poo except maybe around WSU (good luck, half the students are 40+). You're more likely to get stabbed than hooked up.

lol

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3674603&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post436527326

I want to believe(that this dude is attracted to a pre-op tranny).

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Godholio posted:

Eh, I got lucky and unlucky. I didn't think to contact the internet for :catdrugs: and now that I'm in California I have all the weed I could ever dream of smoking.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Man I wish I knew about the boot thing. I mean I was a navy dude that didn't even own a pair of boots but I totally would have tossed my dress shoes or something. I was on an army base to make it even more WTF

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Wish gleep would come back and tell his out story of his 1SGT calling and telling him he had to come back to clean his room after he got out.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
Considering doing a full withdrawal (30% taxed early withdrawal kind of stuff) on TSP right now to prepare for a lawsuit.

It's a bad idea. It's an absolutely horrible idea. But it's such a valid option right now that I feel pressured by my own conscious.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Vriess posted:

Considering doing a full withdrawal (30% taxed early withdrawal kind of stuff) on TSP right now to prepare for a lawsuit.

It's a bad idea. It's an absolutely horrible idea. But it's such a valid option right now that I feel pressured by my own conscious.

If you absolutely have to get the money no matter what, it might be better in the long run to take a loan against your TSP. Not sure how to actually do that, but it might be worth looking into.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Vriess posted:

Might want to get some pro advice about that. I seem to recall hearing that in some cases retirement accounts can be considered protected assets.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
I went out looking for stuff to shoot for a film class today and lucked into finding some dudes surfing on Lake Michigan (40 degrees outside, very windy).

Got through 9/10th of the 16mm roll before I realized the aperture knob on the lens was defective. Everything I got is overexposed garbage.

I've spent $90 on rolls so far this semester and have like 10 seconds of worthwhile footage. I'm too defeated to drink.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Victor Vermis posted:

I went out looking for stuff to shoot for a film class today and lucked into finding some dudes surfing on Lake Michigan (40 degrees outside, very windy).

Got through 9/10th of the 16mm roll before I realized the aperture knob on the lens was defective. Everything I got is overexposed garbage.

I've spent $90 on rolls so far this semester and have like 10 seconds of worthwhile footage. I'm too defeated to drink.

lol well at least you aren't doing this nonsense on student loans you could never ever pay back

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
A student in my class is named Robert Boucher. A literal Bobby Boucher. Every time he opens his mouth I want to ask about high quality H2O

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
He's probably too young to have even seen that movie.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Just spent 5 days in Big Sur CA. California weed is no loving joke. I have never been in a hot spring tub with 12 attractive naked chicks, until last night. I hitchhiked North with a Canadian named Romeo whose favorite sight between BC and Big Sur was the Seattle Space needle; I shared the back seat with a surfboard. I got dropped off by NPS in Monterey and saw my old army buddy, wearing his blues and beret because today is uniform day. Poor guy. Get hosed army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Victor Vermis posted:

uuuruh combat camera

• Locked thread