Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

My understanding is that the saving Tonkii took place weeks or months before the GGO things, possibly only shortly after the entire saving-Asuna ordeal. They just haven't had time to do any more about it afterwards.

And yeah the new OP is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Asuna going to Kyoto is a setup for Mother's Rosario, the Asuna based book/arc that should be after this one.

Kirito's hair IIRC was changed after ALO due to Yui complaining about not being able to easily sit in his spiky hair. So You really aren't missing any important information.

The Flashback in this episode technically happened during the Save Asuna arc(in the LN anyway). Which it sorta makes sense to cut so you don't have Leafa and Kirito on a random adventure when he should be struggling to save Asuna.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The Tonkii thing happens during the ALO arc in the LN hence his original spiky hair and giant sword look, but they cut it out of the anime.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Must be hard even for god-emperor Kirito to deal with his sister liking creepy tentacle monsters.

Seriously though, this sounds like a relatively chill arc where nothing too extreme happens, and I like that. Heroes assemble, fight some guys, joke a bit, save the day, celebrate the new year. Just what I needed.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

WitchFetish posted:

Must be hard even for god-emperor Kirito to deal with his sister liking creepy tentacle monsters.

Seriously though, this sounds like a relatively chill arc where nothing too extreme happens, and I like that. Heroes assemble, fight some guys, joke a bit, save the day, celebrate the new year. Just what I needed.

There are stakes, but only inside the game, and only because this group of adventurers take their video games really loving seriously.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Klein is still the best. Pretty excited that it seems he'll be around for the entire arc.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Already this sounds way cooler than the GGO arc.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

nielsm posted:

My understanding is that the saving Tonkii took place weeks or months before the GGO things, possibly only shortly after the entire saving-Asuna ordeal.
Saving Tonkii was before they saved Asuna, right after Kirito beat up that Salamander dude who has the shield-ignoring hax-blade.

Azubah posted:

Already this sounds way cooler than the GGO arc.
The GGO arc was way cooler in the LN, the adaptation was plagued with horrendous pacing issues and they threw gratuitous amounts of Sinon rear end-shots to keep people interested. Calibur is looking promising though, and Mother's Rosario is a good story where Kirito actually loses a fight! :aaaaa:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Dexo posted:

The Flashback in this episode technically happened during the Save Asuna arc(in the LN anyway). Which it sorta makes sense to cut so you don't have Leafa and Kirito on a random adventure when he should be struggling to save Asuna.
I'm sure we could deal with having that over one of the scenes where Asuna had her Christmas thoroughly wrecked.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I liked how even though they had the entire harem assembled, the only one who even touched Kirito was Klein.

This is shaping up to be great. The stakes are only high because everyone is a huge dork who takes everything happening in a VR world way too seriously. Also, Klein :swoon:

(And that *beep* QUEST ACCEPTED right after the dramatic exposition was probably the hardest I laughed in SAO)

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

BambooEarpick posted:

Wait until you get further. The second part of your sentence will apply less and less.

I'm waiting for the show to go to poo poo, but so far I'm still finding it entertaining. Kirito and Asuna hooked up, and in their lovey-dovey delirium they just decided to adopt someone else's kid. This show is amazing.

I was surprised that despite Kirito having a bunch of girls vying for his affections, he got into a relationship not even halfway through the show. I hate harem hijinks, and I've got a soft spot for happy, drama-free relationships, so I'm actually pretty okay with the direction the show has taken.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

U-DO Burger posted:

I'm waiting for the show to go to poo poo, but so far I'm still finding it entertaining. Kirito and Asuna hooked up, and in their lovey-dovey delirium they just decided to adopt someone else's kid. This show is amazing.

I was surprised that despite Kirito having a bunch of girls vying for his affections, he got into a relationship not even halfway through the show. I hate harem hijinks, and I've got a soft spot for happy, drama-free relationships, so I'm actually pretty okay with the direction the show has taken.
That's really the best part of the series, but unfortunately it only occasionally has that as the predominant element.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

U-DO Burger posted:

Yeah, The other girls aren't really even vying for his affection. They like him sure, but they aren't trying to steal him away from Asuna or anything.

The whole Kirito harem thing is really overblown.

zerosix
Jun 22, 2012

Dexo posted:

The whole Kirito harem thing is really overblown.

Yeah, it's just happens that the majority of friends he made while trapped in a VR death game were female.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

zerosix posted:

Yeah, it's just happens that the majority of friends he made while trapped in a VR death game were female.

To be fair, he was probably one of the few dudes who didn't just constantly creep on the few females in the game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is this really the discussion we're having? A series that has proven all of the female characters Kirito meets falls in love with him and the harem thing is overblown?

Dexo posted:

To be fair, he was probably one of the few dudes who didn't just constantly creep on the few females in the game.

This is also bad because it's just glorifying the main character some more.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Not really, Klein and Agil also didn't creep on females and they are all friends.

I'm not saying it perfect or anything, just that it's not that big of a deal, all of his friends know who he loves, and who he is actually dating, and aren't lamenting or trying to break them up or anything. They are all just friends shooting the poo poo and having fun.

The only real problem was Suguha, and that whole story line thing is thankfully never brought up again after Fairy Dance. The Author distanced himself from that mess completely.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Dexo posted:

aren't lamenting

Just wanted to say they are in fact lamenting, and it comes up just about anytime the lot of them are together without Asuna or Kirito around.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dexo posted:

I'm not saying it perfect or anything, just that it's not that big of a deal, all of his friends know who he loves, and who he is actually dating, and aren't lamenting or trying to break them up or anything. They are all just friends shooting the poo poo and having fun.

Liz and Silica literally plotted at the end of SAO to try and get with Kirito and every time Kirito is with Asuna and they are all fighting monsters they are lamenting the fact that Asuna has Kirito all to herself. This is not a harem in the literal sense, but if you seriously think all of the girls are happy with this and everything is hunky dory then you are wrong. Liz straight up can't get over Kirito and holds in her emotions for the sake of Asuna. It would almost make for interesting set up if it weren't loving Kawihara.

Suguha is also a big problem and the fact that he wants to ignore Fairy Dance instead of trying to salvage what he can of the story is ridiculous.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 20, 2014

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Well, they're dumb teenagers. It's what they do. Except Klein, who we can all agree rules and is the biggest bro.

So, I forgot a lot of what happens in the books beyond the first two arcs, but isn't it about time for the brain damage arc?

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Well, they're dumb teenagers. It's what they do. Except Klein, who we can all agree rules and is the biggest bro.

So, I forgot a lot of what happens in the books beyond the first two arcs, but isn't it about time for the brain damage arc?

Mother's than that, so next season if the show gets a next season.

*edit: If it does, you all better get your poo poo together for a full core of tree chopping.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I suppose they wouldn't go back to the glory days of Aincard and truncate that, no.

And somehow have every third shot be of Alice's hind quarters.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I've finished the first arc, and Kayaba was hilarious. Forgot why he murdered 4000 people and imprisoned 6000 people for two years, talks doing things fairly while blatantly cheating the whole time, and somehow manages to have the show portray him almost sympathetically because he likes video games. Other than that though the ending was really nice.

Dexo posted:

They like him sure, but they aren't trying to steal him away from Asuna or anything.

Cool. Nothing sours me on a fictional romance more than introducing rivals who are only there to jeopardize the relationship by trying to steal someone's partner away. It's a boring replacement for actually developing the relationship itself. It makes me wonder why the other girls are even there though, since aside from swooning over Kirito they haven't done poo poo.

My friend already told me Asuna also survived SAO and that the death game is over, so I dunno how there's going to be stakes from here on out. Is this why the show apparently gets worse? So far it's been stupid but fun.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It's about to just get stupid.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Yeah, the first part of the series is stupid but fun. The second is just stupid, and replaces the fun with generic.

The third is pure fanservice (seriously, did we need this many shots of Sinon's rear end?) with a glacial pace that could have actually been good, and apparently was far better in the LN. The fourth...with one episode, I'm enjoying it, but I don't doubt it'll go to hell soon.

Caros
May 14, 2008

U-DO Burger posted:

I've finished the first arc, and Kayaba was hilarious. Forgot why he murdered 4000 people and imprisoned 6000 people for two years, talks doing things fairly while blatantly cheating the whole time, and somehow manages to have the show portray him almost sympathetically because he likes video games. Other than that though the ending was really nice.

Cool. Nothing sours me on a fictional romance more than introducing rivals who are only there to jeopardize the relationship by trying to steal someone's partner away. It's a boring replacement for actually developing the relationship itself. It makes me wonder why the other girls are even there though, since aside from swooning over Kirito they haven't done poo poo.

My friend already told me Asuna also survived SAO and that the death game is over, so I dunno how there's going to be stakes from here on out. Is this why the show apparently gets worse? So far it's been stupid but fun.

Stop, stop now. Save yourself. I enjoyed the first arc as much as you but it does not get any better, it only gets much, much worse.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Caros posted:

Stop, stop now. Save yourself. I enjoyed the first arc as much as you but it does not get any better, it only gets much, much worse.

If anyone ever feels compelled enough to watch ALO / TGIA, the only piece of advice is to pretend that the bad guy is Dio Brando, just because that gently caress it, just watch/read Phantom Blood instead. Even as the weakest arc within the manga, it still had Speedwagon and a Zeppeli. Not to mention Koyasu doing the best Dio in anything ever.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

As I have said before just watch the the last eps of season 1 core 2, and fill the plot holes however you want(you will likely come up it a better story the the show did), their will only be like two and your only missing out on like two good fights.

As for season 2 it seems safe to skip core one and just assume the new girl followed Kirito home or something. Your once again only missing out on like 2 good fights and their are no plots holes aside from where did the new girl come from.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
You're going to be very confused in season 3 if you skip GGO. Also, it's "cour."

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Einander posted:

You're going to be very confused in season 3 if you skip GGO. Also, it's "cour."
What if you just watch the recap episode. That's what it's for, right?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Jackard posted:

What if you just watch the recap episode. That's what it's for, right?

Telling somebody to watch that is quite possibly the most cruel thing said in this entire thread.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Einander posted:

I don't think so there is like one continuity point between the rest of the books and the underworld books.

I feel like no one would question why a guy from Laughing Coffin would hate Kirito even without knowing the events of GGO

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
Something something frost-giants, something something McGuffin sword, holy poo poo this arc looks boring so far.

Please, let's leave ALO and never come back. It is a boring, tension-less place.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Reading the GGO arc will probably be more interesting than watching it, especially if you like things like world-building. They made some bad choices in adapting it.

Calibur looks like it is going to be two episodes long. It's back to the old stupid fun of the first cour and I will feel sad seeing it go. Klein is the best.

Mother's Rosario is going to be about drama. It's one of the stronger arcs of the series, but after seeing the GGO adaption, I don't know bad they will mess it up. If they had focused on GGO's action elements, it would probably have been a better transition, but there was so much bad drama in GGO that I would understand people getting sick of it by the time Mother's Rosario starts.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

jesus loving christ this show got uncomfortable

I was just expecting boring, not "Kirito goes on a quest with his creepy cousin to save his girlfriend from a rape dungeon". Isn't the death game over? Can't they just, like, take the helmets off?

Hagop posted:

As I have said before just watch the the last eps of season 1 core 2, and fill the plot holes however you want(you will likely come up it a better story the the show did), their will only be like two and your only missing out on like two good fights.

This is kinda tempting. If I skip to the end will I miss things that cause the rest of the show to make less sense?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Well, that depends. Juvenile power fantasies where the female lead has no agency and almost gets tentacle raped certainly make sense. They are built to appeal to a specific audience, so they make sense within that context. Conversely, you can skip the rape dungeon without worrying about missing something important because it is a story arc featuring a rape dungeon, you dumbass.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
ALO's characterization of Kirito isn't really in line with his characterization in every other post-SAO story, so honestly it's probably better off skipped.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

the female lead has no agency and almost gets tentacle raped

The fact that I can't even tell if you're making this part up is a good enough sign that I should just skip ahead. Very well then.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Don't skip ALO because its really funny and awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Beef Waifu posted:

Don't skip ALO because its really funny and awful.

The latter is definitely true, the former is not.

Seriously SAO is the good kind of bad, ALO is just the bad kind of bad.

• Locked thread