Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Badger posted:

just go the whole hog and get rid of Dartcraft entirely.

This. DartCraft is a loving mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is anybody here actually fond of DartCraft? My only run-ins with it have been it getting in my way. There's the fairies and all like we're speculating may be knocking out his game, but then there's the force bar or whatever. I would just be running around, and I guess I would hit a wrong key, and then suddenly I have that bar up, making that annoying chiming sound. I had a knack for making that happen during a GalactiCraft launch, so a dramatic sequence of me flying off to the moon or whatever was punctuated with those stupid chiming, beepy sounds.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I like the furnaces and the tool system, but yeah, the magic meter and such aren't that great.

Badger
Sep 21, 2007
On burrowed time...
I think it suffers from the same issue a lot of maligned mods do (see EE2), I.E. that it would be fine if it was the only/main thing you were running on the server.

When it's in with other things competing for server resources and player usage, it has problems.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
The one thing I really liked from Dartcraft was the healing torches, to keep my villagers from suiciding (seriously, I'd toddler-proofed every last square block of a nearby village and they still managed to find ways to injure themselves somehow). There are probably other ways to take care of that now, though.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
I was using the ender rod or whatever as a quick way to get home in my Yogscast game, but there's probably another way to do that. And I used the armor for babby's first fast movement armor before I got Thaumcraft up and running. Force nuggets are also an easy way to get the Praecantatio.

That's about it though. And yeah, none of that's probably worth how poorly written it is.

Badger
Sep 21, 2007
On burrowed time...
The force wrench was pretty handy for looting castles early on as you can just take the chests as tile entities (and even nest said chests within each other).

And the force.. rod I think it was allowed you to turn iron doors and such back into ingots. Again for increased castle looting.

Of course once I had flying and a quarryplus, well, I didnt even bother entering castles anymore, just set up the quarry above it and leave it going. Whole lot of confused mobs left sat on bedrock (Interestingly this also works incredibly well on twilight forest mazes, even though they are surrounded in bedrock, the quarryplus can go under/through it, so you end up with a giant bedrock box with a Moonitaur sat in the middle of it, it also manages to bypass the traps and harvests the TNT).

Scorched earth policy is best policy.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Badger posted:

The force wrench was pretty handy for looting castles early on as you can just take the chests as tile entities (and even nest said chests within each other).

Look at this motherfucker who's never heard of dollies.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
The clipboard is the only thing I want from Dartcraft. Just that.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Dartcraft has some good sword options but they can't come close to Tinker's weapon damage levels sadly. I wish you could get Dartcraft sword upgrades as Tinker modifiers, basically.

The time torches are also hilariously powerful for stuff like farms.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

We're inching ever closer to the release of :siren: TECHNIC PLATFORM V2 :siren: and :siren: TECHNIC LAUNCHER V3 :siren: and we'd like to ask you guys to mess with it and see how it holds up. We aren't done, but we're getting closer. This is a major design and feature shift from what the current Platform does and we're excited to have people play with it.

The new Platform is here: http://beta.technicpack.net/
The new launcher is available from here: LauncherV3

Any questions or concerns should be asked in #platformbeta on synirc, or KakerMix@technicpack.net if you are feeling email-tastic.

I think the new stuff looks fantastic but then again I might be biased.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014
Has anyone figured out what to do with Eldritch Obelisks?

I only started playing Thaumcraft in the 4.x series and have seen people reference Thaumcraft 2 about these, but no details other than some pictures (see below) show the Crimson Cult being involved. The Thauminomicon only mentions the Crimson Cult in passing (Forbidden Research) and that Thaumaturgy might help, for which I've studied everything and still no dice. I have all of the Eldritch research that I can find as well. I have now found four of these (one someone else appears to have been digging around), but none of them have the Crimson Cult banners nor any Crimson Cult members loitering about.

The most information I found was at Thaumcraft 4 Wiki - Crimson Cult, but that doesn't mention how to summon the Crimson Cult (if I even need to), how to open this rift or eye that's mentioned, or what to do with these Eldritch Obelisks and its related blocks, other than, "The crimson cult is also forbidden knowledge research (moderate)", for which I apparently already have this in the Thaumonomicon "Basic Information" tab under "The Crimson Cult - A Cautionary Tale".

I've hung around several of the found Eldritch Obelisks for a few in-game days and all I get are Furious Zombies spawned from the Sinister Node contained within.

Someone else finding a busy Eldritch Obelisk

Another person finding similar

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

KakerMix posted:

We're inching ever closer to the release of :siren: TECHNIC PLATFORM V2 :siren: and :siren: TECHNIC LAUNCHER V3 :siren: and we'd like to ask you guys to mess with it and see how it holds up. We aren't done, but we're getting closer. This is a major design and feature shift from what the current Platform does and we're excited to have people play with it.

The new Platform is here: http://beta.technicpack.net/
The new launcher is available from here: LauncherV3

Any questions or concerns should be asked in #platformbeta on synirc, or KakerMix@technicpack.net if you are feeling email-tastic.

I think the new stuff looks fantastic but then again I might be biased.

Just some quick testing, Build #118, both the JAR and EXE work on Windows 7 x86_64 with Java 7u67 (x64). The window takes up a bit more screen real-estate than I'd like (I liked the old launcher's sizing), but I do like the extra info (update available? version? solder enabled?). I cannot seem to delete the default packs (e.g. Big Dig). Well, I delete them, but then they just reappear.

Issues:
* For the Technic Platform V2, mod list doesn't appear to query Solder correctly (e.g. http://platformbeta.sctgaming.com/modpack/modderation-permabanned-edition.449941/mods says "There was a problem accessing this Modpacks Solder installation.", yet https://www.technicpack.net/modpack/details/modderation-permabanned-edition.449941 lists the mods just fine).
* For the Technic Platform V2, when mousing over "Users who liked this pack", it does not present their names, unlike in the prior iteration, at least on Google Chrome (38.0.2125.104m), Internet Explorer (10.0.9200.17089C), and Firefox (32.0.2) on Windows 7 x86_64 .

Suggestions:
* Option to chose which 'page' (Discover/Modpacks/News) to default upon start.
* Option to delete (or just hide) default mods (e.g. Tekkit).
* Option to Favourite mod-packs so that they show first in Modpacks or in the Discover tabs.

The V2 website seems to load faster and is cleaner, IMO.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

lolmer posted:

I cannot seem to delete the default packs (e.g. Big Dig). Well, I delete them, but then they just reappear.

Like in the old launcher, the plan is not that you can remove official modpacks from the list entirely, but we do want older official packs to be hidden by default if you don't have them installed- that will be available as soon as the API to tell the launcher which packs are old exists. The plan is that eventually we'll also have some more fine-grained visibility controls for modpacks, but that's going to be awhile after launch because we've got a long list of tasks after platform goes live.

The weird deletion behavior is based on the fact that in the old launcher the "always there" behavior was facilitated by just auto-installing the pack to your packlist on load and not allowing official pack deletion. In the new one we wanted to decouple the installation concept from the pack list (for the search behavior, for instance), so that's not the case anymore. We will have a migrator at launch that will autodelete any installed official packs that aren't actually on your harddrive, so hopefully it will be less confusing.

quote:

* Option to Favourite mod-packs so that they show first in Modpacks or in the Discover tabs.

The discover stuff is actually not built in the launcher, it's a served page (only rendered, not an actual browser! don't worry about security issues), and we kind of want to have some level of control about what's there. Having a favorite concept is a cool idea and doesn't sound like a huge technical issue, I'll talk about it with the others.

quote:

* Option to chose which 'page' (Discover/Modpacks/News) to default upon start.

So it could be we go this direction, maybe not. There's a (small) technical reason to launch in discover mode (Flying Saucer kinda sucks) and a larger business reason which is that we have found it REALLY difficult to engage people who don't use the website in the things that we do. If you don't launch in discover mode a lot of people probably won't see it and we're back to manipulating the modpack list to try and get people to notice what's going on. (The hexxit runeburst, the b-team running man). That stuff was cool, but the look of the new pack list REALLY doesn't support it very well.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 20, 2014

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

One thing that has always bothered me about the Technic Launcher is that it doesn't tell you anywhere what version of minecraft a pack is using.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

So Mystcraft finally launches for 1.7.10, has bugs, Xcompwiz then proceeds to blame "Forge or somebody" and that they have to fix, all the while not really being sure what is causing the problem in the first place or even what the actual problem is, "probably something during a block update of a neighbour change". At this point, I expect a fully functional version would be in "beta" for Patreon backers for the next three months.

Someone please just make their own version of this horrible mod?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

CrazyTolradi posted:

So Mystcraft finally launches for 1.7.10, has bugs, Xcompwiz then proceeds to blame "Forge or somebody" and that they have to fix, all the while not really being sure what is causing the problem in the first place or even what the actual problem is, "probably something during a block update of a neighbour change". At this point, I expect a fully functional version would be in "beta" for Patreon backers for the next three months.

What does a "good" version of mystcraft even look like? It's basically just a standard issue pocket dimension mod + a server-killing resource lottery.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

CrazyTolradi posted:

There are so, so many mods that have a fun or cool idea and just became so bogged down with intentionally-confusing interfaces or the hamhanded fist of "balance". I wonder what sort of packs we'd get if really competent modders went back over these ideas, stripped out all the bullshit, and just gave us the good parts.
I mean, no disrespect to Thermal Expansion, but I always thought of TE as "Industrialcraft, except good". It's IC with none of the bullshit and all of the fun and convenience. That's why it went big, that's why it's a staple of modpacks now. It grew into its own in a lot of ways, and introduced a lot of features IC never did, but I still think it's essentially just the good version of the same basic idea. So just imagine if other mods got a similar treatment. It could be amazing.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

What does a "good" version of mystcraft even look like? It's basically just a standard issue pocket dimension mod + a server-killing resource lottery.

Unironically whatever version Rutibex is playing with. When Mystcraft moved to the current super complicated bookbinding+inkwell+look for library mode it got bad. It was already not a very good mod.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a good Stargate mod yet? That seems like the perfect excuse to steal mystcraft's basic function of random-ish worlds.

You could have it so you find gate addresses out in the wild instead of mystcraft pages, then take them home and have a MALP check them out for you to tell you what stuff they have. This would be extra nice as you could have it do this before actually generating the world for real, which would probably help the server crushing parts.

Not sure how you could spin writing your own worlds exactly to line up with Stargate canon or whatever but gently caress it, it would be much nicer.

Alternatively make "world crafting" a high level function of an addon to thaumcraft, AE, or Dimensional Doors (if that is still around).

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

30.5 Days posted:

senae posted:

Unironically whatever version Rutibex is playing with. When Mystcraft moved to the current super complicated bookbinding+inkwell+look for library mode it got bad. It was already not a very good mod.

This. The old system was poo poo still, it involved making new ages and hoping you'd get new pages from whatever generated. It was a lottery and a lovely system in all. Then XCW decided to make you look for libraries or trade with the Mystcraft villager in a system that was just a different sort of lottery. He made link modifiers yet ANOTHER lottery, with no real way of telling what you'll get until you make it. It's interesting that Direwolf20 basically said gently caress this and gave himself a link modifer, which is now uncraftable. Then there's the book creation system itself, if you miss even just ONE page, Mystcraft will throw in a bunch of random poo poo that will make or break your world. The wiki is horribly out of date, with one of the admins refusing to update it unless he's paid to do so (not even loving joking).

A good version of Mystcraft would do away with this poo poo and just give you control over whatever the world has using a GUI that isn't vomit. The only reason people use Mystcraft is for mining worlds, or liquid XXX oceans. World gen is where the only issue would lie, but post 1.8 that shouldn't be as much an issue with world gen being threaded.

EDIT: Also, a good version of Mystcraft wouldn't have this "early access for Patreons" bullshit either. I'm not sure how people throwing money at you makes them better beta testers, just do a closed beta or open, but that is bullshit.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

senae posted:

This is not the only mod that has its best version in 1.2.5. Mystcraft though is particularly terrible after 1.2.5. The interface for writing books is 1000% worse I have no idea why he did that. I also find the old mechanic of jumping to random worlds to get new modifiers more fun than hunting for pages or making villager grinders but that's just a personal preference :shrug:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Light Gun Man posted:

Is there a good Stargate mod yet? That seems like the perfect excuse to steal mystcraft's basic function of random-ish worlds.

You could have it so you find gate addresses out in the wild instead of mystcraft pages, then take them home and have a MALP check them out for you to tell you what stuff they have. This would be extra nice as you could have it do this before actually generating the world for real, which would probably help the server crushing parts.

Not sure how you could spin writing your own worlds exactly to line up with Stargate canon or whatever but gently caress it, it would be much nicer.

Alternatively make "world crafting" a high level function of an addon to thaumcraft, AE, or Dimensional Doors (if that is still around).

There's only two SG mods I know of, Greg's SGCraft and Lanteacraft. Lanteacraft is a split of SGCraft, is a bit more polished in the visuals department and has nice big 7x7 stargates. It's currently being re-written but the latest version is a decent beta. SGCraft has 5x5 gates, looks a little less shiny but has iris upgrades which use a redstone signal to turn on or off (or you can use a Computercraft script). Both have very decent CC interactions, Lanteacraft has a very solid script called ccDHD. It really comes down to personal taste I suppose, I have both mods installed but I only really use Lanteacraft. Lanteacraft is moving towards a more canon style mod, with finding gate addresses, etc a future thing but I'm fairly sure that's a "Soon(TM)" kind of plan there.

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

"The Ancients created a kind of modified DHD that searched through the infinite multiverse for quantum waveforms that closely matched the desired criteria and generated a wormhole link to them, before sending through a kind replicator that would produce a new gate system."
—Samantha Carter/Rodney McKay :techno:

Unrelated: none of the Thaumcraft mobs grind; thaumic slimes killed in whatever automated way you fancy is probably simplest in terms of generating vitium.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

CrazyTolradi posted:

At this point, I expect a fully functional version would be in "beta" for Patreon backers for the next three months.

If I get the said version somewhere, is there anything stopping me from hosting it on a server in eastern europe? :v:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Truga posted:

If I get the said version somewhere, is there anything stopping me from hosting it on a server in eastern europe? :v:

Nope, XCW is more bark than bite on this.

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!

Dux Supremus posted:

"The Ancients created a kind of modified DHD that searched through the infinite multiverse for quantum waveforms that closely matched the desired criteria and generated a wormhole link to them, before sending through a kind replicator that would produce a new gate system."
—Samantha Carter/Rodney McKay :techno:

Hmm, "Ancients did it" is a fine solution, but if you're willing to tolerate a bit of sperg you could throw actual canon at it with a little less hand waving.

Most of the addresses from SG1 were recovered from the abydos cartouche(a list of all* known gate addresses).
The addresses were then slowly doled out in a usable form by big iron computers because of physics/DHD nonsense.
Lastly the locations were explored by MALPs and then unimportant secondary teams.
...But most of that was done off screen because its boring.

So you could have cartouche fragments spawn in the world to be collected, let players build server clusters, and record the number of gates they've explored(without actually generating). Reweight each factor and add them up to get a score, and let players spend those points on generating custom worlds with the explanation that they did the boring drudgery of exploring off screen.

Plus it's an excuse to route a villager conveyor through the gate.

Reicere fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 21, 2014

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Vib Rib posted:

There are so, so many mods that have a fun or cool idea and just became so bogged down with intentionally-confusing interfaces or the hamhanded fist of "balance". I wonder what sort of packs we'd get if really competent modders went back over these ideas, stripped out all the bullshit, and just gave us the good parts.
I mean, no disrespect to Thermal Expansion, but I always thought of TE as "Industrialcraft, except good". It's IC with none of the bullshit and all of the fun and convenience. That's why it went big, that's why it's a staple of modpacks now. It grew into its own in a lot of ways, and introduced a lot of features IC never did, but I still think it's essentially just the good version of the same basic idea. So just imagine if other mods got a similar treatment. It could be amazing.

I agree 100% with this. For example, I believe EnderIO conduits to be the 'good' version of just about every pipe/conduit system in the community and the Ender Quarry from Extra Utilities is the "good" quarry.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

The guy who made ccDHD might be also making a script to wardial for other gates. Basically just dialing until it gets a lock, storing the gate address and moving on. I put the idea to him a few days ago so I don't expect anything soon or for a while, if at all and I'm poo poo at any kind of coding or scripting (law student, not a programmer). My main thought is that it'd make SMP games with stargates more interesting in how you setup your gate, i.e defenses and such.

Reicere posted:

So you could have cartouche fragments spawn in the world to be collected, let players build server clusters, and record the number of gates they've explored(without actually generating). Reweight each factor and add them up to get a score, and let players spend those points on generating custom worlds with the explanation that they did the boring drudgery of exploring off screen.

Plus it's an excuse to route a villager conveyor through the gate.

So you could use it as a way to make custon worlds, like in Mystcraft, but without the lovely page/ink mixing mechanic and cool gate mechanics instead?

EDIT Question for those in the know, but what is the most compact and least laggy way of storing fluids?

CrazyTolradi fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 21, 2014

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Liquid cells. They're in extra cells for AE. No lag if there's no liquid!

Barring that, railcraft tanks seem to work ok for me, but my server isn't all that loaded.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Truga posted:

Liquid cells. They're in extra cells for AE. No lag if there's no liquid!

Barring that, railcraft tanks seem to work ok for me, but my server isn't all that loaded.

Using liquid cells, made some 4096k ones and holy gently caress they hold a literal ocean full. Beats the heck out of making huge steel tanks like I used to. Using a liquid import bus on a tesseract with 4 acceleration cards, it's sucking it faster than the ender pump can provide.

Badger
Sep 21, 2007
On burrowed time...

Lizard Wizard posted:

Look at this motherfucker who's never heard of dollies.

I had, but I had only used them to move around JABBA barrels and just assumed they all had that annoying exhaustion debuff associated, if that's not the case them I have something new to play with when I get back (and even less reason to have dartcraft on my server).

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Force wrench owns, you can pick up spawners with it. And machines with upgrades or whatever too. And possibly thaumcraft nodes.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Light Gun Man posted:

Force wrench owns, you can pick up spawners with it. And machines with upgrades or whatever too. And possibly thaumcraft nodes.

Ccaaarrrdddbooaarrrdd booooxxxxeeesss!

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Speaking of Thaumcraft, how is one supposed to get Ethereal Essence if all Thaumcraft mobs are blacklisted from safari nets/auto-spawners? I want to mess around with Thaumic Energistics without cheating in ethereal essence but running around punching the poo poo out of nodes is the most boring slog I can think of.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Build an autonomous activator cage with scythes around a wisp spawning node?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Wisps are pretty common in the nether. Just run around with a bone bow for a bit?

Speaking of Thaumcraft, I'm starting to think Biomes o' Plenty was a mistake. I spent literally 3 hours looking for a Greatwood, and now I find out that I STILL can't do tech up to the infusion altar unless I find a silverwood tree too. Ugh.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Mzbundifund posted:

Wisps are pretty common in the nether. Just run around with a bone bow for a bit?

Speaking of Thaumcraft, I'm starting to think Biomes o' Plenty was a mistake. I spent literally 3 hours looking for a Greatwood, and now I find out that I STILL can't do tech up to the infusion altar unless I find a silverwood tree too. Ugh.

Biomes O Plenty is always a mistake.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Get all your TC related poo poo in Twilight Forest?>

Question for people playing yogspack complete... did you manage to find any melons? I want to make magnum torches but the jungle doesn't seem to have melon and ive been thru a bunch of TF mazes/hollow hills with a hundred chests, but still no dice.

E: I read somewhere i could maybe get them from villagers, but does that i mean i need to be lucky and find the right one that trades them? Or can i influence their inventory somehow?

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Mzbundifund posted:

I've said it a few times on various servers, but BoP is all well and good until you have to play on a size-restricted server and you need something biome-specific and it hasn't genned

• Locked thread